Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 3 4 
Parents and Guardians Forum>Operating an Unlicensed Daycare
sharlan 06:38 PM 09-10-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Daycare being run out of a rented condo. Landlord not aware . individual there for 4 months on section 8. damage to the toilet , electrical outlets, and ceiling from toilet being broken. Landlord being told each time something is broken multiple number of children being cared for approx. more than 6. In California is there any law to help the landlord remove this tenant who is very difficult to deal with in regards to property damage.
You can't evict for the daycare, but you can for the damage. Contact licensing to make sure they are licensed, contact the DA about eviction.
mac60 06:56 PM 09-10-2011
Any one that is UNLICENSED is UNLICENSED for a reason -- they do not follow the rules otherwise they would see to it to be LICENSED even if it was not required for the number of children they keep. People that babysit inside their homes are usually uneducated to begin with-- or they would set up a proper business.
Lady you must have one set of balls to come on this forum and make this statement. If I was you, I would step back and read what you posted and then you should realize how totally rediculous your comments are, and then you owe many of us a sincere aplogy for your nasty rude statements.
Crystal 07:04 PM 09-10-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
Lady you must have one set of balls to come on this forum and make this statement. If I was you, I would step back and read what you posted and then you should realize how totally rediculous your comments are, and then you owe many of us a sincere aplogy for your nasty rude statements.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
mac60 07:12 PM 09-10-2011
Sorry, but that is just so rediculous.
Crystal 07:50 PM 09-10-2011
I agree.
nannyde 08:05 AM 09-11-2011
Any one that is UNLICENSED is UNLICENSED for a reason -- they do not follow the rules otherwise they would see to it to be LICENSED even if it was not required for the number of children they keep. People that babysit inside their homes are usually uneducated to begin with-- or they would set up a proper business.
My state doesn't offer licensing yet. The most we can do is register and we don't even have to do that. I think that may happen in 2013 if the funding for it comes through.

I'm a babysitter and I have a BSN and am a RN.
Unregistered 09:05 AM 09-13-2011
I'll tell what makes it my business.....i have to pay taxes on my earnings. This daycare providers income is hers!!!!!!!!!! She drives a new car (a charger). I guess it pays well. That along with all the welfare she qualifies for because her income is not reported.....yeah, it makes me mad as hell!!!!!!!!!!

I do daycare in my home. I only watch 2 to 3 children besides my own. I give out my SS number so that the parents are able to get the tax credit. After all the deductions I am in the negative. Then the loss from my daycare deducts from my husbands business. Sense I run at a loss, I'd rather not report it. But I want my families to get the tax deductions coming to them. Every thing is one the up and up, but hate that our tax file is essentially a red flag for an audit.

When I use to bring my daughter to daycare the daycare lady wouldn't take any deductions because she wanted to get more money from the Earned Income Credit.
Unregistered 06:36 PM 09-26-2011
If it is unlicensed, that's exactly why you report them, so they can be checked out and someone can see that they are on the up and up. Must there be a tragedy at the unlicensed place before something is done? If they cut corners on the license, they might be cutting corners elsewhere. If they have nothing to hide they will be fine. Report them you could save a kids life. A sex offender could be employed there you never know.
Unregistered 08:33 PM 09-27-2011
What are the consequences from operating an UNLICENSED daycare in IL? Is there a fine to pay? I am unlicensed and have run a home daycare for 3 1/2 years now. ALL the parents that I babysit for KNOW that I am unlicensed, it isn't something that I hide. And I claim ALL OF MY INCOME! I give them my SSN at the end of the year with a total of daycare paid. Everything is completely safe but I'm just not licensed. The process is going to require me to take time off AND find a daycare to put my own children in. I'm worried about being turned in for NOT being licensed.

I hate to put the parents out when they DON'T CARE if I'm licensed or not. They are going to have to make other arrangements while I take these classes.
There are MANY ONLINE courses that can be taken to meet the guide lines for state of IL I know if you are turned in for operating unlicensed daycare in IL you will be shut down and parents will have no choice but to find alternate care. There is very little cost to getting licensed ( CPR class Maybe ?? but most can be found for free at fire stations etc ) outlet covers, baby gates, fire extinguisher, smoke detectors, basic safety items really. As a licensed provider I feel if your not hiding anything and are dong everything right then why not be licensed What is the upside to be unlicensed ??
Unregistered 08:40 PM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
Not all states require that you be licensed. I do no think that in IL it is required.
Illinois has some of the strictest licensing requirements unless you watch only 3 or fewer children which includes providers own children you need to be licensed and you must have 15 hours of training BEFORE starting which include SIDS and Shaken baby syndrome and fingerprint and background checks for all ppl living in the home over the age of 13
jab22 11:36 AM 09-29-2011
Hello I was curious if in the state of massachusett it is legal to watch two children from the same family without being licensed for a short amount of hours weekely?
Cat Herder 01:17 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by jab22:
Hello I was curious if in the state of massachusett it is legal to watch two children from the same family without being licensed for a short amount of hours weekely?
Family Child Care Licensing Policy Statement
Number: P-FCC-11

Family child care regulations exempt some care taking relationships from licensure, including occasional care and informal cooperative arrangements among neighbors or friends. Child care must be either licensed/licensable (license required) or exempt (no license required). Exempt care cannot be combined with licensed care.

In determining whether a care taking arrangement is exempt from licensure, the Department first determines whether a family child care home is operating on a regular basis. If it is, then the Department reviews the child care being provided to determine whether it is an informal cooperative arrangement or the occasional care of children.

Regular Basis

A family child care home is operating on a "regular basis" if the care is available for more than one day per week and for more than eight weeks in a twelve-month period. If the care being provided does not meet both of these criteria, it is not subject to licensure.

Occasional Care

Occasional care occurs when no child is present more than one day per week or more than a total of 8 hours in a week, or when no child is in care for more than 30 days from the initial date of placement. If the care provided does not exceed either of these limits, then it is not subject to licensure.

Informal Cooperative Arrangement

Care taking is an informal cooperative arrangement among neighbors or relatives if any of the following circumstances apply:
all children in care are related to the caretaker by blood, marriage or adoption; or
parents care for each other's children on an equal, informal basis. They do so by feeding, napping, diapering or supervising the child(ren). There are no hired personnel and no-one receives monetary or non-monetary compensation for their services; or
care is provided to only one child unrelated to the caretaker and is determined to be informal and cooperative because the relationship between the caretaker and parent(s) is based on friendship or common interests such as school, community, church, charitable or volunteer work or similar activities, and the relationship between the parents and the caretaker pre-dates the care taking situation.

In making any determination on an application for exemption, the Department will consider whether the caretaker is currently or was formally licensed by the Department or by OCCS and if so, whether the Department or OCCS has taken legal action against the caretaker or accepted a voluntary surrender of a license in circumstances where enforcement would have been justified. Further, the Department will consider whether the caretaker cooperated with the Department or OCCS and was truthful in providing the information necessary to evaluate the exemption request.
jab22 09:44 AM 09-30-2011
Thank-you. I would have them 10 hrs weekly and they are not relatives but the mother and I are friends. With that being said though she offered to pay me so then am I to understand as soon as money exchanges hands I have to be license? Thanks again.
Cat Herder 09:54 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by jab22:
Thank-you. I would have them 10 hrs weekly and they are not relatives but the mother and I are friends. With that being said though she offered to pay me so then am I to understand as soon as money exchanges hands I have to be license? Thanks again.
That is my understanding according to what I pulled directly from your licensing page above.

I highlighted the parts that lead me to that conclusion. Now, I am not a lawyer and I have been wrong before, so feel free to give your CCR&R a call and ask in person.

Sometimes even in their office they will have 3 people with three different answers... It is the nature of the wording.
dave4him 11:59 PM 10-13-2011
Oklahoma is crazy. I heard a story in the news a while back that a lady with several of her own kids allowed other parents to drop off their kids at her house before school as a safe place to hang out. Someone got wind of it can complained since she was not a permit carrying daycare. Not sure in that case it should matter. THe kids were only there for a little while before and after school.
Unregistered 11:20 AM 10-18-2011
Wow, all of this opinion flying around just because someone inquired about a license for babysitting/daycare. I personally think that it should be a parent's choice. It is all about trusting someone with your children's life. I had babysitting issues and it ended up all boiling down to if I trusted them...and I mean truly felt in my gut trust and I was very fortunate to have found that care. I have been considering opening up child care services mainly because I am tired of seeing single moms (I am not one) trying to find good reliable child care and not have to worry about being raped of what money they do earn spending it on the care of their children. What is the purpose of working if you are only working to pay for child care, just stay home and do it yourself because truthfully it would be cheaper. I am a fortunate enough person to be allowed to make this option of a specific type of child care. Hats off to those who are licensed and have a piece of paper to show people they are doing it all by the books, and hats off to those who provide great child care without the paper saying you have enough common sense to provide great child care and it shows every time that child begs to stay and it can be seen in the home.
Unregistered 10:34 AM 10-24-2011
"People need to mind there business. If she is not bothering you, then why are you worried. Let that woman make her money. If she was abusing or neglecting the children, nobody would have anything to say. That's what is wrong with the world today, people report the wrong things."

First of all, get yourself a spellchecker.....it's THEIR not THERE. Further, unlicensed daycare cast a pall upon all the good care providers out there that follow the law. What's wrong with the world is people like you that think only certain laws and statutes are important. Operating an unlicensed day care is the equivalent of operating a restaurant without the proper safety and cleanliness guidelines. If the woman wants to "make her money" then let her comply with the same statutes and laws that licensed day care facilities must abide by.
Okay I find that very funny. I agree with the woman who stated mind your own. YOU LOL... went and stated, "GET A SPELLCHECKER" now, it might be said it's THEIR vs THERE; However she did spell correctly, it's called GRAMMAR sweet heart.

Check your GRAMMAR, although you are NO idiot, I'm sure and KNEW what the woman was getting at. Are you OLD or something? possibly JEALOUS? Unless they are loud. Come on, she's probably a stay at home mom, who knows making min. wage and leaving her child makes nothing, so she stays home...makes money and can stay with her kids and helps others out.

Get over yourself, and next time YOU correct someone- CHECK YOURSELF!
Unregistered 07:06 AM 11-08-2011
As a licensed daycare I have a problem with people being able to continue operating illegally, and yes it is illegal and can be punishable as a Class A misdemeanor with a fine of up to $100.00 per day while operating without a license! To become licensed you must meet many safety standards both within the home (fire extenguishers, walk-outs, smoke detectors, etc) and personally (Insurance, CPR/First Aid. Fingerprinting, TB, etc.), which all come at a cost to the provider. If you have helpers, they to have many of the same requirements that most providers pay for. Since you incur all these costs, you must then adjust your daycare rates accordingly so that you are making money at your business (yes, this is a business for anyone who watches children, legally or not). When a provider does not have to meet the standards or pay any additional costs by operating illegally, they can offer daycare at a lower rate. For those of you who see no issue with this, put yourself in this senario. You follow the rules and do everything you are suppose to for your business, while a person across town does everything illegally and is able to gain a larger profit by doing it this way, how can you see this as being ok?
Unregistered 03:01 PM 11-18-2011
Just get your license like all other license child care providers so this can be a mute point.
Unregistered 09:17 PM 12-26-2011
Running an unlicensed daycare does typically say "the type of care you do provide". If it is a state law that you MUST be licensed to run a daycare in your state, then you SHOULD be LICENSED. If you can break that law, what other laws could you be breaking??? It is not difficult to get daycare licensing. The law is there for a reason. It is to govern daycare providers so that they follow the rules and regulations for that business. The state has this law so that in case there is a problem with the care your child(ren) are receiving in a daycare, it can be handled. I myself, as a parent DO WANT A LICENSED DAYARE PROVIDER FOR MY CHILDREN. I am willing to pay the going rate or more for a licensed daycare provider just for the peace of mind of knowing that that provider and whoever is in her household that will be around my children have a complete criminal background check for the safety of my children. Why would anyone put their childs safety or life in someone else's hand without checking them out first. Being a licensed daycare provider, I at least know that the place has to be inspected for safety and that there will be random unnotified inspections that the provider will receive as well as having to go to classes to update her knowledge as being a daycare provider; such as CPR, First Aid, how to discipline, ect. And by the way, what reason would you not have as to getting licensed? Do you not want to claim your income at tax time? Wake up people, there alot of crazy nuts out there as it is, why would you even think about risking the safety of your child. I am not saying that all unlicensed daycare providers are this way but what is the downfall in NOT BEING LICENSED? Besides, being a licensed daycare provider will get you more business. When parents are looking for daycare they usually call the state licensing office for a list of providers in their area. And to be on the side of the licensed providers, I give them much credit for dealing with the crap that they have to go through in order to be a LIGITIMATE LICENSED DAYCARE PROVIDER. My neighbor is also a non-licensed daycare provider and it erks me to no end that she provides daycare to other peoples children when she neglects the 3 kids she has (ages 10, 6, ans 3). I can say this because she pawns her kids as well as her daycare kids off in my yard so that they can play with my children and I end up watching them so that they don't get hurt, while she sits on her A** all day with her husband (who doesn't work because he was fired for watching **** on the computer at his job). This is one of those reasons why I say GET A LICENSED DAYCARE PROVIDER so that everyone that is around your children can be checked out. Better to be safe then sorry. Your child only has 1 life!!! A caring mother in Laurel, Delaware.

Ok.....I had an unlicensed daycare. Prior to opening mine, I worked in a LICENSED home daycare! First off there are pros and cons to BOTH!!! I saw a lot of things at the licensed home and thought nope! So I started my own....I kept 3 children and ran it as if it were licensed. I also provided a curriculum for the kids. We learned Spanish as well. We played, had routines, did school, music time, reading time, prayer, etc. The families I had did not want a big licensed home. Some prefer small and some prefer big. My example for this was....the place I worked at prior was licensed with 16 kids. We were full!! However she had her own kids as well....one who was 17 at the time and 19 now I believe and not any different. He was great with kids but he had an anger problem, alcohol, and drug problem!!! Guess what....she's licensed and gets inspected and no one even knows!!!! Again it's all about the CHARACTER OF THE PERSON, CARE PROVIDED, CLEANLINESS, AND EXPERIENCE! You have to know what to look for in a provider!!! (also...I was CPR/First Aid certified, SID Certified, etc....I chose to take classes)
Unregistered 10:38 AM 01-23-2012
I find this statement highly offensive. I have a bachelors degree in social work. I follow all state laws that a licensed facility fallows , including but not limited to, number of children, meal plans, CPR and first aid certified, report income, give end-of-the-year statements, etc. I run my home daycare just like a business in all aspects and I have several years experience working with children from before I even started my own business. Whoever wrote this is either uneducated or doesn't understand that there are many reasons people go into this business. Yes, there are always some people who will fit your description, but to lump EVERYONE into that category is rude and misleading.
Unregistered 07:52 PM 01-26-2012
I find this statement highly offensive. I have a bachelors degree in social work. I follow all state laws that a licensed facility fallows , including but not limited to, number of children, meal plans, CPR and first aid certified, report income, give end-of-the-year statements, etc. I run my home daycare just like a business in all aspects and I have several years experience working with children from before I even started my own business. Whoever wrote this is either uneducated or doesn't understand that there are many reasons people go into this business. Yes, there are always some people who will fit your description, but to lump EVERYONE into that category is rude and misleading.
Agreed! I take my kids to an unlicensed person. First of all, daycare centers and licensed homes charge too much. Can't afford it. Second, the daycare centers I visited always seem to have the kids sleep long hours in the day or not to ensure my kids are eating appropriately or using the bathroom appropriately.

This lady cooks, cleans, makes sure my kids eat all their food, use the toilet on time to avoid constipation and UTI's, plays with them, has activities for them, and loves them. She only doesn't have a license because she doesn't want to have to be obligated to give medicines that she doesn't agree with (i.e. tylenol, cold medicines) but at the same time wants to be able to give medications in an emergency without all the "forms" (i.e. Epi pen or inhalers, etc). Bottom line? She's who is best for us and I respect her much more than the schools who would let a child die or suffer because of some stupid form (think: kid who got suspended for giving a friend his inhaler to save his life during an asthma attack or the teacher who got in trouble for administering another student's epi pen JR when she couldn't find the boy's rx she KNEW was on file (ALL SAME DOSES BTW) and saved HIS life.). Yeah, I'll go with the UNLICENSED one. And her home is just as safe, btw, so some people are pretty judgmental just because they just don't know what real life is like.
morgan24 04:19 AM 01-27-2012
Agreed! I take my kids to an unlicensed person. First of all, daycare centers and licensed homes charge too much. Can't afford it. Second, the daycare centers I visited always seem to have the kids sleep long hours in the day or not to ensure my kids are eating appropriately or using the bathroom appropriately.

This lady cooks, cleans, makes sure my kids eat all their food, use the toilet on time to avoid constipation and UTI's, plays with them, has activities for them, and loves them. She only doesn't have a license because she doesn't want to have to be obligated to give medicines that she doesn't agree with (i.e. tylenol, cold medicines) but at the same time wants to be able to give medications in an emergency without all the "forms" (i.e. Epi pen or inhalers, etc). Bottom line? She's who is best for us and I respect her much more than the schools who would let a child die or suffer because of some stupid form (think: kid who got suspended for giving a friend his inhaler to save his life during an asthma attack or the teacher who got in trouble for administering another student's epi pen JR when she couldn't find the boy's rx she KNEW was on file (ALL SAME DOSES BTW) and saved HIS life.). Yeah, I'll go with the UNLICENSED one. And her home is just as safe, btw, so some people are like.pretty judgmental just because they just don't know what real life is
Sounds like a wonderful daycare lady, but does she realize the risk she is taking everyday. Depends where you are but in my state it is illegal to do daycare without being licensed, you can get fines. Not worth the risk to be unlicensed to me. There also isn't an insurance company that will insure you without being licensed. Having a signed form for medications is a form of protection for the provider in case something goes wrong, with children you never know. She also is at a risk if she is not paying taxes on her income, someday she may be dealing with the IRS.

I'm licensed to avoid getting a fine and to be able to make sure that I'm properly insured in the event of an accident. I have the signed medication form giving me written permission to give the required medicine, to protect ME. Being licensed has never made me give a medication that I did not agree with.

My example of unlicensed daycare in my area is, lady had 4 kids she was watching. An 8 year old boy was jumping on the trampoline and fell off and broke his leg and arm. Had she been licensed she wouldn't of had a trampoline they aren't allowed. She had no insurance, she has now lost her home and owes the family $60000.00 in medical and damages.
Countrygal 04:37 AM 01-27-2012
I find it interesting that this unregistered guest says it is not difficult to get licensing. If this is true, it is certainly different in their state!

I had a big, long explanation typed out and decided.....nah, not worth it.....
AnneCordelia 06:06 AM 01-27-2012
I have a college degree but chose childcare. I am not uneducated.

I run an unlicensed daycare from my home. I follow all the guidelines set out by my provincial government, however there is no licensing protocol required for me to care for 5 or fewer children, not including my own.
Blackcat31 06:15 AM 01-27-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
I find it interesting that this unregistered guest says it is not difficult to get licensing. If this is true, it is certainly different in their state!

I had a big, long explanation typed out and decided.....nah, not worth it.....
I just wanted to mention that when I applied for my license it was super easy as well. I filled out a form, had a visit with the fire marshall and another with my licensor and then received my license.

All in all from the intial application to the license actually being in hand was no more than 60 days.

Every state does do it differently, but it isn't complicated and definitely not difficult by any means....at least not here.
Daycaremomof2 07:15 AM 01-27-2012
I also have a college degree AND a master's. I am a mother, and my own mother used to watch a few children when I was growing up. I even took a few semesters of nursing school, so I know CPR/First Aid, etc. I used to be a children's event director, and was in charge of creating and leading daily childrens activities.

I am LEGALLY unlicensed. I know all of our state laws, and I provide excellent childcare.

Just because you are unlicensed does not mean that you are unqualified. Often times, the State makes you jump through so many hoops to get licensure, and it is more of a pain and inconvenience than anything else. The state's main concern is liability, and there are so many more aspects to childcare other than liability.

Just because your neighbor is watching children (whether licensed or unlicensed) doesn't mean you have the right to try to get her in trouble. She is just trying to make a living like everyone else. You could ruin their entire family's financial future and lives- and for what- because you don't want to see people driving to her house to drop off their kids? If you don't see abuse, neglect, or any other problems, just mind your own business.
Daycaremomof2 07:18 AM 01-27-2012
As a licensed daycare I have a problem with people being able to continue operating illegally, and yes it is illegal and can be punishable as a Class A misdemeanor with a fine of up to $100.00 per day while operating without a license! To become licensed you must meet many safety standards both within the home (fire extenguishers, walk-outs, smoke detectors, etc) and personally (Insurance, CPR/First Aid. Fingerprinting, TB, etc.), which all come at a cost to the provider. If you have helpers, they to have many of the same requirements that most providers pay for. Since you incur all these costs, you must then adjust your daycare rates accordingly so that you are making money at your business (yes, this is a business for anyone who watches children, legally or not). When a provider does not have to meet the standards or pay any additional costs by operating illegally, they can offer daycare at a lower rate. For those of you who see no issue with this, put yourself in this senario. You follow the rules and do everything you are suppose to for your business, while a person across town does everything illegally and is able to gain a larger profit by doing it this way, how can you see this as being ok?
Not in my state lady- I am operating 100% LEGALLY unlicensed. And doing a darn good job at it. Check your facts.
Ariana 09:39 AM 01-27-2012
I am also a legally UNlicensed DCP. I also have a degree in Early Childhood Education and am currently persuing my graduate degree in Child Studies. I am HIGHLY UNDERqualified to take care of children

Here in Canada childcare providers are THE MOST educated people of ALL people who work. Most childcare providers hold at least an undergraduate degree of some sort. However to be a good provider all you need is love and common sense.

The only thing being licensed will give me is a huge pay cut. I'd have to work for an organization who would pay me money and then take a stipened from what I make in order to provide services like inspections etc. It's not worth it to me!
REWALKER04 12:12 PM 01-27-2012
im sure all of the childrens parents know she is unliscensed so then it is the parents choice to send them there. I am certified but went several months without being certified yet i had taken the classes and did everything that the state required besides the paperwork and what not so if she isnt bothering you and you dont feel the children are being hurt or neglected then I would say mind your own business or at least get some input from a parent that takes there child there. Just because you are liscensed doesnt mean you are any better than if you arent! Bad things happen all the time in liscensed daycares too!
Unregistered 04:07 PM 02-17-2012
Hi!! I am a student who will be graduating with a Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood Education. I was hoping to have my own daycare in the state of Vermont and I was wondering if I could run a daycare unlicensed with more than 6 children in my home?

If not, would I be able to run a daycare with over 6 children with multiple staff members? I have heard that the help that the state gives to daycares takes more money from the daycare than the daycare makes alone.

Thanks for all of the feedback. One more thing, I would like to take a poll: Please comment if you would prefer your child(ren) to attend a licensed or unlicensed daycare. Thank you!!
MommyofThree 02:40 AM 02-20-2012
Hi!! I am a student who will be graduating with a Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood Education. I was hoping to have my own daycare in the state of Vermont and I was wondering if I could run a daycare unlicensed with more than 6 children in my home?

If not, would I be able to run a daycare with over 6 children with multiple staff members? I have heard that the help that the state gives to daycares takes more money from the daycare than the daycare makes alone.

Thanks for all of the feedback. One more thing, I would like to take a poll: Please comment if you would prefer your child(ren) to attend a licensed or unlicensed daycare. Thank you!!
I really dont understand why most pepople here says it cost alot to become license. I just became group with 16 children and I paied 110 for cpr/first aid and 25 buck for rcs form. Thats it. Inspections are free the actual license is free. In what states cost so much. Im in NY.
Greenplasticwateringcans 11:42 PM 02-23-2012
I'm stunned licensing is so cheap in some places. I currently run a legal unlicensed daycare and am working on my license. It's going to cost at least $5000!
$45 for the application
$350 for a child Ed program
$50 for the application to register with the city
$50 for the fire inspection
$150 for 1st aid (almost expired)
$500 for flooring to bring up to licensing code
At least $2000 for the back yard to bring up to licensing code. Pea rock and concrete paths taken out
$400 to create fireplace barriers
$200 for permanent indoor gates
Thousands in supplies (second hand)

If I only had to pay $200 I would have done it years ago.

My
MommyofThree 04:22 AM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by Greenplasticwateringcans:
I'm stunned licensing is so cheap in some places. I currently run a legal unlicensed daycare and am working on my license. It's going to cost at least $5000!
$45 for the application
$350 for a child Ed program
$50 for the application to register with the city
$50 for the fire inspection
$150 for 1st aid (almost expired)
$500 for flooring to bring up to licensing code
At least $2000 for the back yard to bring up to licensing code. Pea rock and concrete paths taken out
$400 to create fireplace barriers
$200 for permanent indoor gates
Thousands in supplies (second hand)

If I only had to pay $200 I would have done it years ago.

My
OMG hun, where do you live? That is so much. NY is free for all that and im surprice because NY is one of the highest states to live in. But all they wanted was 25 bucks!!!!!! If I had to pay all that I would not . I can see you of course spending money if your home is not up to code but for the inspection, application, and so forth. Im shocked
cheerfuldom 08:17 AM 02-24-2012
Parents should still thoroughly research a daycare place and not just trust licensing status. Many states licensing basically is a fee, a visit from the fire marshall and minimal visits (sometimes just once a year) from the licensing agency. You cant just assume that licensed is always the best. I am legally unlicensed and the few licensed places that i know of and have actually been inside are scary, scary places. Plus I know two licensed places that are regularly over the allowed ratios and ages.
MissAnn 09:57 AM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by melissathayer28:
OMG hun, where do you live? That is so much. NY is free for all that and im surprice because NY is one of the highest states to live in. But all they wanted was 25 bucks!!!!!! If I had to pay all that I would not . I can see you of course spending money if your home is not up to code but for the inspection, application, and so forth. Im shocked
I pay $100 every year....will go lower if I pay for 3 years up front.
Greenplasticwateringcans 01:06 PM 02-24-2012
I live in BC Canada. Licensing varies by province and municipalities. My area is very expensive and very strict.
Unregistered 08:21 PM 03-15-2012
I am running a daycare within my home. I am non-licensed and I currently watch my 3 children plus 2 kids (different days). There is a parent that is wanting me to watch her 2 state kids, will I still be under Nebraska state law by watching the 2 state kids plus my regular kids and my own??
Unregistered 06:54 AM 03-27-2012
I have been a licesed daycare provider for 7 years. After going thru a divorce and trying to support my 3 children my licensed was revoked for having too many children. I am currently still watching kids. Was wondering if anyone knew of the consequences that could arise if the state found out. Could they put me in jail? I never had a mark on my license before, I couldn't loose any kids because I needed to keep my home for my kids. Any feedback would be great.
jen 01:08 PM 03-27-2012
I have been a licesed daycare provider for 7 years. After going thru a divorce and trying to support my 3 children my licensed was revoked for having too many children. I am currently still watching kids. Was wondering if anyone knew of the consequences that could arise if the state found out. Could they put me in jail? I never had a mark on my license before, I couldn't loose any kids because I needed to keep my home for my kids. Any feedback would be great.
You are taking a really big risk. Depending on where you live, you could end up with a nasty fine. How many children were you over by? I have never heard of anyone having their license revoked for one offense of being over the limit. Was there more to it? Did you appeal the decision?
rhondawarren 12:26 PM 03-28-2012
"People need to mind there business. If she is not bothering you, then why are you worried. Let that woman make her money. If she was abusing or neglecting the children, nobody would have anything to say. That's what is wrong with the world today, people report the wrong things."

First of all, get yourself a spellchecker.....it's THEIR not THERE. Further, unlicensed daycare cast a pall upon all the good care providers out there that follow the law. What's wrong with the world is people like you that think only certain laws and statutes are important. Operating an unlicensed day care is the equivalent of operating a restaurant without the proper safety and cleanliness guidelines. If the woman wants to "make her money" then let her comply with the same statutes and laws that licensed day care facilities must abide by.

Just to clarify ... Just because you do not have a license to provide childcare does not mean that you are not a good care provider nor does it mean that they do not follow the same safety and cleanliness requirements that someone licensed does.

In fact I am a mother of three and provide unlicensed childcare in my home. My home is always very clean (not just for the children I care for but for my own family as well). I provide the best care for the children I care for the same as if they were my own children.

To be honest with you ... I think some of them receive better care when they are in my home than they do when they are sent home with their parents.

Being "licensed" does not in anyway make you a better provider than someone that is not licensed.

As long as we follow the guidelines in our state for an unlicensed provider then no one should have a thing to say about it because honestly ... as long as we are following all guidelines that we are suppose to as far as our state goes its really none of anyone else's business.
saved4always 12:55 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by rhondawarren:
Just to clarify ... Just because you do not have a license to provide childcare does not mean that you are not a good care provider nor does it mean that they do not follow the same safety and cleanliness requirements that someone licensed does.

In fact I am a mother of three and provide unlicensed childcare in my home. My home is always very clean (not just for the children I care for but for my own family as well). I provide the best care for the children I care for the same as if they were my own children.

To be honest with you ... I think some of them receive better care when they are in my home than they do when they are sent home with their parents.

Being "licensed" does not in anyway make you a better provider than someone that is not licensed.

As long as we follow the guidelines in our state for an unlicensed provider then no one should have a thing to say about it because honestly ... as long as we are following all guidelines that we are suppose to as far as our state goes its really none of anyone else's business.
Yep, I totally agree with you! Until this month, I did unliscensed childcare in my home. I would like to add to what you have said just for clarification to those who, like "unregistered" to whom rhonda responded, keep insisting on confusing the terms. Unliscensed does NOT mean ILLEGAL! For Ohio, where I live, a LEGALLY UNLISCENSED provider can care for no more than 6 children ages 6 and under. Of those 6 children, only three of them can be under 2 years old. I had no desire to watch more children than 6 (actually, I preferred 3 or 4 ) so I did not feel the need to become liscensed. I had no problem filling my spots and my kids and their families loved me.
rhondawarren 05:43 AM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by saved4always:
Yep, I totally agree with you! Until this month, I did unliscensed childcare in my home. I would like to add to what you have said just for clarification to those who, like "unregistered" to whom rhonda responded, keep insisting on confusing the terms. Unliscensed does NOT mean ILLEGAL! For Ohio, where I live, a LEGALLY UNLISCENSED provider can care for no more than 6 children ages 6 and under. Of those 6 children, only three of them can be under 2 years old. I had no desire to watch more children than 6 (actually, I preferred 3 or 4 ) so I did not feel the need to become liscensed. I had no problem filling my spots and my kids and their families loved me.
There is NOTHING wrong with Legally ran Un-licensed In Home Child Care. To be honest with you I know of Licensed Day Cares that have more children that they are even suppose to. Just because you have a license does not mean that you provide better care.
saved4always 08:26 AM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by rhondawarren:
There is NOTHING wrong with Legally ran Un-licensed In Home Child Care. To be honest with you I know of Licensed Day Cares that have more children that they are even suppose to. Just because you have a license does not mean that you provide better care.
Exactly!!!
Unregistered 12:47 PM 04-03-2012
The facts and the law is : you can only operate an UNLICENSED day care if the children ARE related to you and u DO NOT recieve regular compensation. Make your money. Just make sure u are legal under the law
rhondawarren 02:02 PM 04-03-2012
The facts and the law is : you can only operate an UNLICENSED day care if the children ARE related to you and u DO NOT recieve regular compensation. Make your money. Just make sure u are legal under the law
Im not sure I fully understand this comment? Are you saying that if you are unlicensed that you are only suppose to watch children that ARE related to you?
Country Kids 02:15 PM 04-03-2012
It varies state to state. In my state I am legally allowed to: watch 3 unrelated children to me and I'm allowed to charge for this fee. I also am legally allowed to watch as many children as I want if I do not do it longer then 4 hours a day and I'm allowed to charge for that also.

If I watch children longer then 4 hours a day, my number goes down to 3.
rhondawarren 02:17 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
It varies state to state. In my state I am legally allowed to: watch 3 unrelated children to me and I'm allowed to charge for this fee. I also am legally allowed to watch as many children as I want if I do not do it longer then 4 hours a day and I'm allowed to charge for that also.

If I watch children longer then 4 hours a day, my number goes down to 3.
Yeah thats what I was going to say. I am legally allowed to watch five/day that are unrelated to me and can charge for them.
saved4always 05:59 PM 04-03-2012
Well, that may be the facts of the law where YOU live, but, in OHIO, the facts of the law are that you can watch up to SIX children who are UNrelated to you (only 3 of them can be under the age of 2) WITHOUT A LISCENSE and RECEIVE REGULAR COMPENSATION. Your own children aged 6 and under count in the six children you are allowed to watch UNliscensed. Believe me, I looked that up prior to deciding to do childcare in my home. I am a rule follower, so I looked it up MULTIPLE times just to be sure I got it right.
Unregistered 09:23 AM 04-18-2012
People need to mind there business. If she is not bothering you, then why are you worried. Let that woman make her money. If she was abusing or neglecting the children, nobody would have anything to say. That's what is wrong with the world today, people report the wrong things.
It's her business because that many children create a lot of chaos. I know. The provider pockets the cash, the neighbors have to live with the situation created.
abcdaycaremom 07:26 AM 07-23-2012
As a licensed daycare provider for over 9 years I feel we have a obligation to care and protect children. Each state has different guidelines on their regulations as to when a certification or license is needed to care for children. There is no law that states we can not care for children laws are set up to say at what point or amount of children does a license and education be needed! No as a society we should not mind our own business nor are there any records to how many child are hurt at licensed daycares verses unlicensed. The point of unlicensed daycares is to make an income without following the rules or to pay taxes. So in a sense anyone operating as a daycare that should be licensed due to the amount of children in care is in violation. And with that in mind how could a parent who is looking for a safe and quality daycare have piece of mind that this person is going to care for your children the best. Sure people are there do babysitting for a few children but actually running a daycare with education and regulation is what's makes a quality daycare, a safe environment with learning experiences and love. Seems to me so called daycares that what you to mind your own business is someone I would stay clear of, they are hiding something! When you follow the regulations and offer the very best for children then you have nothing to worry about that's where you will find the best for your child and isn't that what's important. Just because you raised some children doesn't mean you know what you are doing for someone else's family.
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by abcdaycaremom:
As a licensed daycare provider for over 9 years I feel we have a obligation to care and protect children. Each state has different guidelines on their regulations as to when a certification or license is needed to care for children. There is no law that states we can not care for children laws are set up to say at what point or amount of children does a license and education be needed! No as a society we should not mind our own business nor are there any records to how many child are hurt at licensed daycares verses unlicensed. The point of unlicensed daycares is to make an income without following the rules or to pay taxes. So in a sense anyone operating as a daycare that should be licensed due to the amount of children in care is in violation. And with that in mind how could a parent who is looking for a safe and quality daycare have piece of mind that this person is going to care for your children the best. Sure people are there do babysitting for a few children but actually running a daycare with education and regulation is what's makes a quality daycare, a safe environment with learning experiences and love. Seems to me so called daycares that what you to mind your own business is someone I would stay clear of, they are hiding something! When you follow the regulations and offer the very best for children then you have nothing to worry about that's where you will find the best for your child and isn't that what's important. Just because you raised some children doesn't mean you know what you are doing for someone else's family.
That is a very bold statement to make....(the bolded sentence above)considering there are a ton of LEGALLY unlicensed child care providers who pay taxes on every penny of their income and follow all the rules set forth by their governing agencies and/or states.

Just because someone is unlicensed does NOT make them a criminal or someone who is trying to bend, break or avoid rules. NOT all states are the same and in some states being licensed is not even an option.

As far as your second statement (in red) about having an education making the child care a quality one....that is a contradictory statement compared to another statement you made in another thread about the star rating systems where you said "In my state the star rating is set up for more education which does not make your day care better".

So I am confused as to what the point is and how you feel. Either education makes your care a quality program or it doesn't

(I also want to mention this thread is from 2007. )
dave4him 01:21 PM 07-23-2012
If i were not liscensed i would lose two of my kids, so that wouldnt be good. Though i could have a pool.... ummmmm
Unregistered 01:22 PM 08-25-2012
i THINK STICKING YOUR NOSE INTO SOMEONE ELSES BUSINESS especially when it will not benefit you(such as,what makes you think you can get the child to watch)and hurt someone that is only trying to keep a roof over their head.
I am a widowed senior, that has raised 8 children and a few related children at different times. I struggle every month as I was left with no life insurance and depend on the money I make watching my friends 3 children over night while parents work. Recently some daycare person reported me for not having a licence. When notified I tried to get registered but couldnt because I dont have a diploma. How can a diploma or licence make me take care of these kids I have had 1 since birth. Its like saying Im not smart enough to watch these kids without a diploma.
How dare someone cause a senior widow such heart ache out of greed.
People you do this, I hope they can live with themselves. Now I may very well become homeless.
Elevenhounds 10:55 AM 09-07-2012
I live in Colorado which must be one of the toughest states to run a daycare.

I can't run a home daycare since my house is too small.. but Colorado law states that the provider must reside in the home of the daycare.

So maybe I could rent a place and open a center... Nope, and a center must have a daycare director and since I don't have a bachelor's degree I would need to take the required courses AND put in nearly 4,000 hours of child care in some facilities.

How am I supposed to spend that much time in child care when I work full time? And that's even assuming I could land a job in this economy with no college education

Right now I have a stable and good paying job as an account manager for an insurance company... It's just my dream to open a daycare and be my own boss.

Unlicensed?? No go. Colorado law only allows 2 children from THE SAME FAMILY! I

I mean, I really, really I love children but I have to make some money somehow.
Unregistered 07:17 PM 09-24-2012

So she's taking business away from you...is that the problem?!
Unregistered 01:09 PM 10-19-2012
I have a similar situation as to the one you experienced. Where did you go to see if they were licensed or not?
If you have a minute - please get back to me asap colinmurphy@acnrep.com
Thanks again

I just turned in a resident in my town for operating an unlicensed daycare - I inspect daycares in Massachusetts as part of my job. This woman and her husband own a nice home and have two college kids. He, the husband works outside the home, full-time and she has five or six unrelated daycare kids at her house full time, Monday thru Friday. She has a pool, not fenced in and an unfenced yard.

Here in Mass., daycare rules are very strict, for a reason - the state runs Cori and Sori checks, inspects playground equipment - pools, everything! In Mass you also have to carry hefty liability insurance which is expensive. The State promptly came to her house and shut her down. (I knew she was unlicensed because I did my homework and called the State first) I hope she incurred a hefty fine as well. Who in their right mind would run an unlicensed daycare and care for other's children? Full-time daycare in Mass. runs $300 and up per child - I'd like to make about 60 to 70K, tax free, per year.

My son, who is in college, pays 43k per year to go to school - my husband and I have taken out huge loans to help him out and we both work full time and pay huge taxes. It's called greed, plain and simple and a lot of people think they are above the law. Shame on the parents of these children, as well, for not checking to see if this daycare was licensed in the first place. I stewed for about a year about this before I called the state. There is no excuse for this.

Unregistered 01:49 PM 10-19-2012
The person who has this problem is a hater! Let the woman make a decent living in the privacy of her own home. She is doing families a great service by watching their children, which is probably more affordable for them anyway. So STFU! #ThatIsAll
Unregistered 09:33 AM 10-23-2012
I have been looking to starting a small day care to see if it is something i would like to do and open up a larger day care... i am unable to find information on an unlicensed day care for Nashville tn area. What information can u give me or tip insite anything would be a help
Unregistered 10:48 AM 11-02-2012
Why would you want to chance a law suit in the event of an accident,your home owners not paying because you are running an unlicensed day care( business) and not having training, what about being accused of wrong doing.I know of a unlicensed daycare right now that is going to get in trouble for hiding a child for a parent when they were given the court order and said it would not happen again but they did.
People seriously need to get a life and get their noses out of everyone else's.

To begin with.. 5 kids plus her own kids would look like a LOT of kids to the unexperienced eye. So she may be unlicensed but that doesn't mean she's operating illegally.

Secondly, just because someone is unlicensed does not mean they don't pay taxes. I have been unlicensed for 16 years and was licensed 6 years before that. I've always paid my taxes, so get over yourselves.

Thirdly.. It is true that more kids are hurt in licensed facilities than unlicensed. BUT, that doesn't mean that licensed is bad. But being licensed doesn't mean the facility is good either. It may just mean that more people choose to become licensed so they can get on the food program. So it stands to reason that there would be more children hurt in licensed facilities. For one thing, licensed facilities almost ALWAYS have more kids and more kids are more difficult to manage. I provide a much better service as a small unlicensed caregiver than I did when I was licensed for 10 kids all by myself PLUS my own 3 children that don't count against me in my state.

I've been in business 22 years without a single accident in my home. I pay my taxes and make a decent living. My parents and kids are happy.

Unregistered 01:53 PM 11-04-2012
Hi Can you please tell me who one is to report a unlicensed day care to?
Blackcat31 02:14 PM 11-04-2012
Hi Can you please tell me who one is to report a unlicensed day care to?
Remember there is a difference between unlicensed and illegal. NOT all unlicensed child cares are illegal.

In many states it is perfectly legal to watch children without being licensed.

Please know your state's laws before reporting anyone. Use this link:

https://www.daycare.com/states.html

It will have both your state requirements as well as who to contact if you are sure the person you want to report is actually operating illegally.

Remember UNLICENSED DOES NOT MEAN ILLEGAL IN ALL STATES.
Unregistered 10:11 AM 11-05-2012

Actually that is not a fair statement at all! I ran an unlicensed daycare for several years when I was a stay at home mom. Doing it this way allowed me to provide a VERY discounted rate to the parents of my daycare kids without some of the hassle and complications of being registered. In my daycare I followed all laws and regulations, fed healthy meals, and spent a great deal of time doing fun projects and small trips and things for the kids! In the several years since I quit doing that, I have had several of 'my parents' come and tell me how much their children miss my daycare or don't enjoy their new ones. Not to mention how much the parents miss my prices! It allowed me to charge a miniscule rate (usually $2 for first child and $1 for additional children) that allowed me some extra money while still home with my kids, but didn't KILL the parent's pocketbook! I would also like to mention that it is NOT the same thing as running a restaurant without proper cleanliness or safety, because that is ILLEGAL and it is NOT illegal to run an unregistered daycare! And I've known of several 'unlicensed' daycare providers that do a better job than some licensed ones!
Unregistered 10:23 AM 11-05-2012
Ok, the bottom line is that her daycare being licensed or unlicensed doesn't matter! By your own statements, your issue is the parking and cars so here is your solution! You don't report your neighbor to any agency related to daycare! If a parent hits your car, you call the police on that parent! If a car blocks your driveway, you call a tow truck or once again the police! If the cars are just inconvenient to you or your guests but not breaking any laws, you get the hell over it! It sounds to me like you are trying to abuse a system that is there for reporting child abuse or concerns of child safety to get even for parking issues! That's abuse of that particular system and you should be ashamed of yourself!
Hazel 05:35 PM 12-07-2012
I am unlicensed but legal, meaning I only have 3 children unrelated to me at one time.... But my neighbor HATES me for numerous reasons (one, we believe is bc I get to be home and work and she doesn't).
She tried to report me to my local code enforcement officer and after his visit he said she has no basis for her call...she then called the police and said I (right at that moment) was abusing the kids! The police came withing 3 minutes of the call and I didn't even have kids here yet that day! I said he could wait until someone came to give personal testimony to my character but he declined saying he only came bc he HAD to ( he is well aware of this ladys bull since she has called about stupid stuff before).
She DOES constantly complain about the traffic issues outside our twin houses (usually by complaining loudly on her porch) but the traffic is also coming from the neighbor on her OTHERSIDE that also is unlicensed but ILLEGAL.. Yet she is great buddies with her! I have asked my parents to park on the side of my house since I am on the corner, so she can have the spot out front (which is TECHNICALLY in from of MY house.. But she thinks it belongs to her and has keyed MY fathers van for parking there)
It all stems from the fact that she thinks she can do whatever she wants and I stand up to her.. Like putting up a pool against my fence when the fence isn't to code for a pool! Her other neighbor is quiet and a bit timid and lets this lady walk all over her!
I looked into getting a license so I could have that sacred "piece of paper" but they said I couldn't watch children during the licensing process.... Well that won't work! I live off my income! And they said it takes about 3 months! Yea? No... So I upped my prices so I could survive off three kids and work a second job until I am in a position to be able to close to be licensed.
I follow ALL the state guidelines ( I was a director of a center for 4 years, so I am well versed) have my CPR cert, a bachelors degree and 20 years experience. I also have all my clearances including FBI.
Funny, I have been doing this for 10 years and she didn't complain until LAST winter when someone parked in her dug out spot a week after a snow storm! And it wasn't even a client in the spot! It was my heating contractor here to measure for my new boiler! They have also thrown snow onto my sidewalk bc we piled it up too high on the corner near her car!
The point is, yes, some unlicensed daycares maybe problematic, but unless you actually SEE something, why are you putting your nose where it doesn't belong? Cause that's all it is! In the daycare industry, we call that tattling! Telling on someone HOPING to get them into trouble!
Building Blocks 10:54 AM 12-08-2012
Hello, im in NY I can give you info you will need/want.
Building Blocks 10:57 AM 12-08-2012
Im all for his persons REPLY

This statement is not true. Just because someone runs an unlicensed daycare, DOES NOT mean they are not following the safety guidelines. I am an unlicensed daycare and follow the guidelines of my state. Just because someone isn't licensed does not mean they do not operate a quality program. I am sure just as there are "bad" unlicensed providers, there are just as many "bad" licensed providers. In my opinion, it simply comes down to people not minding their own business.
I am unlicedsed at this time I do go by the laws with only having 2 children or 3 if no more then 3 hours at a time plus my own dont count. I also had a family at one time pull there children out of a center to bring them to me.
Unregistered 06:14 AM 12-18-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Hi everyone! My name is Crystal. I realize I am new here, and I do not mean to offend anyone, but I'd like to share a story, that explains why I consider a license to be pertinent.

When I opened my program 13 years ago, I went through the licensing process. I knew a lady down the street from my home who, at the same time, chose to operate an unlicensed program, which is against regs here in Ca. unless care is only for one family. I chose to mind my own business, I knew her, she seemed like a fine person, as did her (what I thought was) husband, who did some volunteer work for the elementary school that my children were attending. I did lose out on a couple of potential clients, who decided that cheaper was the way to go, but I figure those parents were only thinking about the bottom line, so I probably didn't want them as clients anyway. She ran her business there for about three years, until one day I noticed helicopters flying overhead. This woman, who I never had an issue with, who seemed to be doing all the right things, had alot to hide, hence the reason for not being licensed. The man living in her home had been molesting her daughter (with Mom's knowledge) and had been molesting two three year olds attending her program for some time. He also had several prior felony convictions for drugs and assault charges and the provider herself had done jail time for other offenses. The man is now serving 25 years to life and she did time as well for not preventing it from happening.

I have kicked myself for years over not reporting her unlicensed program to licensing. I COULD have prevented children from being molested, but I chose to "look the other way" because her unlicensed program was "none of my business". In some regard, I have always felt responsible for what occurred in that home.

That being said, of course there are many, many unlicensed programs that go above and beyond. But without that background check, how do we TRULY know that the people operating these programs are who they say they are? Is it a gut instinct that parents should have about the person they are interviewing?

I will NEVER look the other way again. If I EVER come across an unlicensed program, it will immediately be reported, regardless of how clean their home is, how nice they seem to be, or whether or not I "see" any violations other than not having a license. As they say "never judge a book by it's cover" and I think that applies here.

This is a REALLY sad story. However, again, having a license has no bearing on whether people have the capacity to abuse children. If a child molester has no record, has not been caught, then nothing will prevent him/her from obtaining a license and abusing children. Its unfortunate, but true. In my state, its legal to run without a license if I adhere to ratio guidelines. I'm looking into becoming licensed so I can watch more kids, but I am deciding against it because I don't have the resources to attend all the training since I am already in business. They make it really hard to GET the license so I'm kind of stuck running as is.

A responsible parent will require a background check on a potential childcare provider. I would happily submit and PAY for it for anyone who required it, and volunteer one on my husband as well. You don't have to have a license to get a background check. I can go to my Sheriff's department and order them every single day if I want to.
MamaG 12:26 PM 12-18-2012
In my state you can be registered and not licensed. As I have been for 3 years. I follow all state laws and regulations. I have even taken child care classes even tho I don't have to. I want to provide high quality care. I just had no desire to have a bunch of kids so I didn't need a license. I have just turned in my packet to start licensing process.
MamaG 12:30 PM 12-18-2012
This is a REALLY sad story. However, again, having a license has no bearing on whether people have the capacity to abuse children. If a child molester has no record, has not been caught, then nothing will prevent him/her from obtaining a license and abusing children. Its unfortunate, but true. In my state, its legal to run without a license if I adhere to ratio guidelines. I'm looking into becoming licensed so I can watch more kids, but I am deciding against it because I don't have the resources to attend all the training since I am already in business. They make it really hard to GET the license so I'm kind of stuck running as is.

A responsible parent will require a background check on a potential childcare provider. I would happily submit and PAY for it for anyone who required it, and volunteer one on my husband as well. You don't have to have a license to get a background check. I can go to my Sheriff's department and order them every single day if I want to.
The DCG I've had 2 years came to me from a licensed home. That provider used words like 'nigger' and spanked her for knocking over a lamp. So yea a license doesn't mean anything in my book.
4mykids 07:03 AM 02-01-2013
A woman that abused my niece & nephew, was investigated & found guilty of Physical Abuse, Level 3 & now listed on the State Child Abuse and Neglect Registry is running a Home Daycare in Virginia Beach under a false last name. Her boyfriend (my brother in-law) that was also found guilty of abusing his children(my niece & nephew), also on the Registry, lives in the same home as the Daycare. She is also advertising this Daycare on Facebook under the false last name.I have reported her ad to FB, I have emailed & made phone calls to CPS & Social Services and NOTHING is being done about this!!! What can I do to have this UNSAFE Daycare SHUT DOWN & have the FB page taken down?? Please help me! Thank you.
Blackcat31 07:41 AM 02-01-2013
Originally Posted by 4mykids:
A woman that abused my niece & nephew, was investigated & found guilty of Physical Abuse, Level 3 & now listed on the State Child Abuse and Neglect Registry is running a Home Daycare in Virginia Beach under a false last name. Her boyfriend (my brother in-law) that was also found guilty of abusing his children(my niece & nephew), also on the Registry, lives in the same home as the Daycare. She is also advertising this Daycare on Facebook under the false last name.I have reported her ad to FB, I have emailed & made phone calls to CPS & Social Services and NOTHING is being done about this!!! What can I do to have this UNSAFE Daycare SHUT DOWN & have the FB page taken down?? Please help me! Thank you.
You can use this link to find the contact information you need to report this to the authorities.

https://www.daycare.com/states.html
frgsonmysox 04:27 PM 03-20-2013
I just read this WHOLE thread, yes... it took me a while lol. I know it's old but since it got bumped this year I'll explain why I am unlicensed.

I looked at getting licensed in my state, and by doing so I would lose ALL my current families. I would ONLY be able to work from 6 am to 6 pm, when currently I am open 24/7. My families are military and need early early care or really late. They also need care for more than 12 hours (generally 14 or so), it also allows me to have irregular schedules for my families, which means I don't have to adhere to the 3 or less children rule, because my daycare falls under "irregular daycare" and therefore the amount of kids I can have is higher, but I try to keep at 3 or less at the same time - not counting my own.

Plus, as I have 5 kids and am trying for number 6, if I were to get licensed I would have to count my own kids, and I would only be able to take in TWO kids. So I get to take more not being licensed anyway. I follow all the rules, report my income, adhere to all the laws and regulations - I just won't become licensed as it ruins the type of daycare I want to have.
unregistered 02:25 PM 03-22-2013
What is the difference between being licensed and registered? Can you be on a food program if you are just registered?? If so how does that work? I have always been liscenced through the military and now that we have moved I am just trying to watch 2 daycare kids unlicensed ( my state says 3 or less unrelated children, so I am good)..anyways...I am new to this "off base" thing..LOL
Blackcat31 02:36 PM 03-22-2013
Originally Posted by unregistered:
What is the difference between being licensed and registered? Can you be on a food program if you are just registered?? If so how does that work? I have always been liscenced through the military and now that we have moved I am just trying to watch 2 daycare kids unlicensed ( my state says 3 or less unrelated children, so I am good)..anyways...I am new to this "off base" thing..LOL
Being licensed and registered is different depending on what state you are in.

In my state (MN) there is ONLY licensed and not licensed. There is no such thing as registered.

Check with your state's rules here: https://www.daycare.com/states.html

or post your state and maybe someone from the forum is from your state and can elaborate on the subject.

Have you considered registering for the forum? We are a wealth of knowledge and can be really fun sometimes too!

There are perks to being a registered member of the forum.
unregistered 03:02 PM 03-22-2013
LOL I actually am registered..weird..I thought I was logged in, but it keeps taking me back to the log in page..so I log in and it tells me welcome and then takes me back to the log in again..hmmmm..I am in Nebraska..I was just looking for a way to still doing the food program without being licensed..if not I will prob have the parents pack a lunch and I will serve snacks..Like i said I only want two kiddos to care for...I will have to look into it! thanx!
Unregistered 05:02 PM 03-26-2013
what would be the difference between an "illegal" daycare and "unlicensed" daycare?
TheGoodLife 11:47 PM 03-26-2013
what would be the difference between an "illegal" daycare and "unlicensed" daycare?
Some states allow people to operate w/I a license if they meet certain requirements. I myself am "license exempt" as I oy care for 1-3 children besides my own at a time. Perfectly legal in my state!
Unregistered 07:50 AM 04-27-2013
•In VA, An unregulated/unlicensed family day home is not inspected by the
state or its designee. It can legally provide care for no
more than five children, in addition to the provider’s own
children or children residing in the home, or no more than
four children under the age of two, including the
provider’s own children or children residing in the home,
at any one time. Homes that exceed capacity are operating
illegally.

I provide childcare out of my home in VA. I NEVER NEVER have more then 5 children at one time and its extremly rare I even have that many at 1 time. 90% of the time I have no more then 3 at one time. I claim everything I make, keep a reciept book, have contracts I use and everything, and keep immaculate records. I follow all the rules of my state. so just because someone is not licensed does not mean she is "illegal".
rmc20021 06:13 AM 05-20-2013
An unlicensed daycare would be one in which the state allows a provider to operate business being unlicensed.

An illegal daycare would be one where the state does NOT allow a provider to care for children without being licensed.
momofboys 06:31 AM 05-20-2013
Originally Posted by MommyofThree:
I really dont understand why most pepople here says it cost alot to become license. I just became group with 16 children and I paied 110 for cpr/first aid and 25 buck for rcs form. Thats it. Inspections are free the actual license is free. In what states cost so much. Im in NY.
Sometimes it is not just the cost for certifications - I have done those previously & have no issues keeping certifications up-to-date. I live in a state where licensing is not required. I choose not to become licensed for a couple of reasons. #1 - I never intend to care for more than 2-3 children at a time, #2 - I really don't want a separate agency/group/gov't coming into my own home & telling me how to run my business, I figure if the parents I provide care for are happy with my home & me that is what matters & #3 - If I did choose to be licensed they would likely tell me to make many costly updates to my home - we have a HUGE backyard (over 3/4ths of an acre) which is almsot unheard of to be in city limits where I live. Licensing would cerainly require me to fence it in & I am sure they would require many more updates on our well-kept (but older, circa 1940s home). We simply do not have thousands of dollars sitting around to fence in our yard among other updates. Those are the reasons why I operate a small in-home legally unlicensed childcare (& I do possess a 4-year-college degree & report my income!).
Unregistered 05:42 PM 06-20-2013
Oh wow. Sounds like somebody is bitter!! Get a life, it is too short to be worried about someone hitting your stupid car. Big deal, if you seen them hit it, then surely you got the insurance information! Unless your, well, just lying to be bitter! Being happy is so much easier, just try it!
When would you say it becomes our business? How about when the parents parking for dropoff/pick-up block the area designated for MY vehicles or MY guests as they hang out and chat for twenty minutes every afternoon? How about when they actually block MY DRIVEWAY? How about when they hit MY CAR PARKED IN FRONT OF MY OWN HOME as they barrel out of the daycare's driveway? How about when a daycare parent parks in front on my home for well over an hour, blocking my garbage can and causing the weekly pick-up to skip collection at my home for the week?

Hmmm?

All happened.

Is it MY business then?

YOUR business should not interfere with me or my residence. If and when it does, then it becomes MY business.

These rules and regulations exist for a reason.

Oh, and btw, I happened to run a LICENSED home daycare for several years. So, yes, you better believe I will report anything not on the up-and-up.

Unregistered 10:56 PM 07-20-2013
i THINK STICKING YOUR NOSE INTO SOMEONE ELSES BUSINESS especially when it will not benefit you(such as,what makes you think you can get the child to watch)and hurt someone that is only trying to keep a roof over their head.
I am a widowed senior, that has raised 8 children and a few related children at different times. I struggle every month as I was left with no life insurance and depend on the money I make watching my friends 3 children over night while parents work. Recently some daycare person reported me for not having a licence. When notified I tried to get registered but couldnt because I dont have a diploma. How can a diploma or licence make me take care of these kids I have had 1 since birth. Its like saying Im not smart enough to watch these kids without a diploma.
How dare someone cause a senior widow such heart ache out of greed.
People you do this, I hope they can live with themselves. Now I may very well become homeless.
I agree we ran an unlicensed daycare for years from our house and we paid taxes on the income and everything. Never has anyone been hurt or neglected and all the children we treated like family. The parents were very happy and all. then one jealous person decided to attack and destroy everything we had. NOW we lost our beautiful home and our business. My family is in complete uproar. basically we don't know which end is up. It isn't fair what was done and these people have no conscience and are all about money. All we were doing was trying to keep a roof over our heads and now that is gone. It is amazing how these people can sleep at night. you know the lord said that money is the root of all evil through greed and jealousy. So they will be judged for that.
kimmills 06:02 AM 08-07-2013
Just because they are unlicensed doesn't mean she is not caring for the kids in her care as a licensed daycare does. Have you ever seen something that shouldn't be happening there? Are the kids unhappy or troubled? Are they troubling you in any way? Let her be. If she's doing a good job with kids where's the problem?
Unregistered 06:52 AM 08-07-2013
And ya know that is your right as a parent to prefer a licensed daycare provider. However, it is not state law that i be licensed if i only keep certin amount of children.So I'm not breaking the law! Also what makes you think that unlicensed daycare providers donn't claim there income? I pay my taxes just like everyone else. And another thing, you don't have to "licensed" to take child care courses! I am certified CPR (Adult, infant and child) and i also have 15 years of education all related to my career. All paid for out of my pocket! I have excellent references and a clean background. Oh ya, and i did nanny for 5 years for a family. I'm sorry but just because i don't hold that LICENSE doesn't mean that I am uneducated or a bad daycare provider. FYI: i haven't had to advertise for 5 years now, i operate on word of mouth and i also have a 6 month waiting list. Hows that for UNLICENSED.
So ...why exactly are you not licensed?
Unregistered 05:50 AM 01-06-2014
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Hi everyone! My name is Crystal. I realize I am new here, and I do not mean to offend anyone, but I'd like to share a story, that explains why I consider a license to be pertinent.

When I opened my program 13 years ago, I went through the licensing process. I knew a lady down the street from my home who, at the same time, chose to operate an unlicensed program, which is against regs here in Ca. unless care is only for one family. I chose to mind my own business, I knew her, she seemed like a fine person, as did her (what I thought was) husband, who did some volunteer work for the elementary school that my children were attending. I did lose out on a couple of potential clients, who decided that cheaper was the way to go, but I figure those parents were only thinking about the bottom line, so I probably didn't want them as clients anyway. She ran her business there for about three years, until one day I noticed helicopters flying overhead. This woman, who I never had an issue with, who seemed to be doing all the right things, had alot to hide, hence the reason for not being licensed. The man living in her home had been molesting her daughter (with Mom's knowledge) and had been molesting two three year olds attending her program for some time. He also had several prior felony convictions for drugs and assault charges and the provider herself had done jail time for other offenses. The man is now serving 25 years to life and she did time as well for not preventing it from happening.

I have kicked myself for years over not reporting her unlicensed program to licensing. I COULD have prevented children from being molested, but I chose to "look the other way" because her unlicensed program was "none of my business". In some regard, I have always felt responsible for what occurred in that home.

That being said, of course there are many, many unlicensed programs that go above and beyond. But without that background check, how do we TRULY know that the people operating these programs are who they say they are? Is it a gut instinct that parents should have about the person they are interviewing?

I will NEVER look the other way again. If I EVER come across an unlicensed program, it will immediately be reported, regardless of how clean their home is, how nice they seem to be, or whether or not I "see" any violations other than not having a license. As they say "never judge a book by it's cover" and I think that applies here.
Everyone parent should be given this information weather it is a licensed or unlicensed daycare. Normal babysitters & nanny's usually undergo a background check before working with someones kids and if the parents don't ask for one if they haven't been given one they are jeopardizing their child's safety. Although sometimes the checks don't catch everything they are the first step to finding anything out.
I feel for these children that is very saddening to hear about.
Also as for being licensed I am new to the field I have the ability to get my teacher qualification but I am scared of attaining it because of all the state legal stuff I have to do in Massachusetts it is very hard for me to understand exactly what I need to do. I am afraid if I check the wrong box on accident I wont get qualified or something I need a lawyer to do these documents! Currently I work as a nanny but I want to do childcare at my home. I am not sure if I need to be licensed I only want to take up to 3 kids for care in my home.

And I would be paying taxes on it just under babysitting. Is that wrong?
Unregistered 06:30 AM 01-06-2014
What is the easiest way to get licensed to start an in home daycare in Massachusetts if you have 9m daycare exp and have taken E.C.E classes 101 and intro ? and are CPR 1st Aid Cert.
Blackcat31 08:47 AM 01-06-2014
What is the easiest way to get licensed to start an in home daycare in Massachusetts if you have 9m daycare exp and have taken E.C.E classes 101 and intro ? and are CPR 1st Aid Cert.
Here is the licensing contact info for Massachusetts

https://www.daycare.com/massachusetts/
KidGrind 12:45 PM 01-22-2014
Are those of you protecting the unlicensed provider who are also unlicensed paying taxes on your earnings?
I’ll stand up & protect a legally unlicensed provider.

1. I’ve paid taxes since a teenager.
2. I’ve served my country.
3. I am certified to operate & own a home daycare.
Unregistered 03:46 PM 05-29-2014
If you don't have a reason to complain then by all means, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! As a grandmother raising my 2 year old grand daughter, I put my grand daughter in a licensed daycare only to have to pull her out because of unsafe and unclean practices. Then I found a woman who runs an unlicensed daycare out of her home and she is great. My grand daughter has to have speech therapy once a week and "Janet" is great about allowing the therapist to come to her home. Plus she works with my grand daughter on words and signs that the therapist teaches her. She is a Mom who got fed up with working and having her children in the licensed daycare environment because they wouldn't work with her son's allergies. If there is abuse going on, or you believe it is an unsafe or unhealthy environment then call the authorities. As a city inspector, I can tell you that neighbors just love to butt in when they don't need to and tattle on each other. As someone said in one of the comments, when abuse really is going on, no one wants to get involved.
Angie 01:22 PM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by mac60:
Please don't make assumptions like this about unlicensed providers. I have been a provider for 9 years and done it legally every step of the way. I am beginning to think that many of you are just jealous that some of us have build a good business and actually making a living at it. Plain and simply....unless you know it is FACT, mind your own business.
I couldn't agree more! I have been doing Day Care for over 20 years and I am UNLICENSED in my State. I pay my taxes, I take continued education for CPR, Food Handling, and also Parenting Classes.

The problem in today's society is when your neighbor wants to make your business THEIR business!
Unregistered 08:23 AM 06-02-2015
I kind of agree with everyone. We all have our own opinions. But I really agree with just because someone is unlicensed does not mean they aren't following the rules. Take me for instance, I've run a licensed home daycare for 21 years, but am really considering not renewing. It has nothing to do with the taxes, because heck yes I'm going to claim my earnings, because I want my parents to be able to claim it and I like getting all the deductions every year. I think people are fullish for not claiming their earnings and getting all the deductions for food, supplies..etc...My reason for not wanting to renew, is just because of all the requirements that keep changing. I've run daycare like I said for 21 years, have 3 grown boys and I think I'm just getting frustrated with people telling me how to run things. One thing for example is having a newborn who would be prefer to sleep in a car seat and the parents telling you that's what they do and please continue, but I have to tell the parents that it is not allowed because of licensing rules. Or having daycare children who watch your own kids get in the pool but they are not allowed to unless I let one child in at a time and than drain all the water. It's just plan silly. And I'm not sure about the rest of you, but my families become part of my family. We have cookouts, parties and have even gone on vacation together. I have a few parents that I had their child at age 3 and are now in college and we still hang out together. So for someone to tell me how to run my house is crazy! I would still follow most of the rules, like child proofing, first aid and CPR...but somethings are just plan ridiculous. Thanks I just needed to vent!
Blackcat31 09:12 AM 06-02-2015
I kind of agree with everyone. We all have our own opinions. But I really agree with just because someone is unlicensed does not mean they aren't following the rules. Take me for instance, I've run a licensed home daycare for 21 years, but am really considering not renewing. It has nothing to do with the taxes, because heck yes I'm going to claim my earnings, because I want my parents to be able to claim it and I like getting all the deductions every year. I think people are fullish for not claiming their earnings and getting all the deductions for food, supplies..etc...My reason for not wanting to renew, is just because of all the requirements that keep changing. I've run daycare like I said for 21 years, have 3 grown boys and I think I'm just getting frustrated with people telling me how to run things. One thing for example is having a newborn who would be prefer to sleep in a car seat and the parents telling you that's what they do and please continue, but I have to tell the parents that it is not allowed because of licensing rules. Or having daycare children who watch your own kids get in the pool but they are not allowed to unless I let one child in at a time and than drain all the water. It's just plan silly. And I'm not sure about the rest of you, but my families become part of my family. We have cookouts, parties and have even gone on vacation together. I have a few parents that I had their child at age 3 and are now in college and we still hang out together. So for someone to tell me how to run my house is crazy! I would still follow most of the rules, like child proofing, first aid and CPR...but somethings are just plan ridiculous. Thanks I just needed to vent!
I agree....to a point.

I would NEVER allow an infant to nap in the car seat...licensing rule or not, that is dangerous practice for anyone.....parents included.

Also, there is nothing wrong with being a license exempt provider or non-licensed care IF that is allowed in the person's state.

If someone is providing illegal care, then that is breaking the law plain and simple and you (general you) can love the kids and family's as much as you want but love won't set you free from jail if something happened on your watch.

Even if it was not at all your fault...if it's illegal care, it's illegal. period.

If care is LEGALLY unlicensed or licensed exempt, that is perfectly fine.

I carry a license and renew every other year because without the license I am not allowed care for more than one family so I HAVE to have a license.
If I didn't, I can't say for sure I would have one.
NightOwl 09:24 AM 06-02-2015
Love the tag "the post that would not end". Almost 300 comments.
I would never nap a child in a car seat. It's against licensing, but it's also dangerous and many organizations on child safety specifically warn against it.
I also wouldn't allow my own children to swim in front of the dcks who could not swim. That's just kind of mean, imho.
It sounds like you're just tired of following rules and want to do things your own way. That's understandable to a degree, but for the sake of full disclosure, you should tell your clients that you will no longer be following state rules and that you intend to do things like car seat sleeping and group swimming or any other thing that is in direct violation of minimum standards for licensed people.
Little Learners 09:26 AM 06-02-2015
I agree, I would not do it illegally and I don't believe you can get insurance which is most important if something were to happen.

If you live in a state, and don't have to be licensed then by all means because once you get licensed you agree to their terms, and they can write you up or revoke your license.

And yes obviously you want to practice safe procedures. I know many parents let their infants sleep in a car seat, I personally wouldn't.

If you have to be licensed in your state then keep your license, that's a no brainer.
Hollywood, fl 06:36 AM 09-27-2015
I live in broward county in south Florida, I live in a apartment complex with about 10 units. Unfortunately I live directly downstairs from a family whom has at least 4 adults and about 4 infants-toddlers and about 3-5 others who range from the age group of 8-16. It is a 3 bedroom 2bath and on serval occasions we've had the police come for different reason,. My main concern now is the fact that we have plumbing issues because our pipe is connected between my apartment downstairs and the unit on top of us, on their lease they put 3-4 people living there. We told the landlord and manager on the property on several occasions but now I need to take it to the next level because they are doing things purposely to flood our apartment, I have seen on several occasions as well as photographed about 3-6 different vehicles per day dropping off at least 2 children each for several hours (and yes I have sat outside and watched). I need a number to call for someone who will come out and investigate immediately. They have been told that they need to move out. But (obviously she knows her way around the law well enough).
These children need help because if it's this unsanitary for us, (literally unlivable conditions) then I can't imagine how they are living upstairs.

Thank u in advance
Unregistered 07:47 AM 09-27-2015
I'm curious how you know they put 3-4 people on their lease? Also curious why your apartment is unlivable and unsanitary? That sounds like a conversation you need to have with your landlord and has nothing to do with whoever lives upstairs. And how what exactly makes you think the upstairs neighbor's place is as disastrous or worse than your disaster apartment?
Thriftylady 10:31 AM 09-27-2015
Wow this is an old thread! But if someone needs to move for sanitary issues, then the landlord needs to deal with that. Sounds like with that many people it may not even be a daycare.

That being said I am appalled at the people who post here and say unlicensed don't provide good care or pay taxes. I am legally unlicensed, don't have to be to keep up to six kids. A big part of the reason I am not licensed is I don't have a fenced yard. My parents know that and know what kind of care I provide. If I didn't provide good, quality care, they wouldn't be here. As far as taxes, I claim my earnings and pay my self employment taxes, including my social security and medicaid. And I give parents my tax info in order for them to claim what they paid on their taxes as a deduction.
Unregistered 01:36 PM 11-19-2015
The people who are saying it's okay to run an unlicensed daycare are probably the same people who don't spay or neuter their pets. I see our neighbors running one and I haven't reported anything. But they let little kids play in our front yard, that is going a bit to far for me because I am not responsible if one of these kids hurts themselves. I don't want to see anything happen to these children, but I just want people to know just how much trouble you can get in if you're not covered by a license if one of the kids gets hurt. It's for the kids and for your protection as well because these matters can turn sour quickly if you're running something illegal, we are talking jail time even for accidents so be smart people. That's all I'm saying.
Blackcat31 02:22 PM 11-19-2015
The people who are saying it's okay to run an unlicensed daycare are probably the same people who don't spay or neuter their pets. I see our neighbors running one and I haven't reported anything. But they let little kids play in our front yard, that is going a bit to far for me because I am not responsible if one of these kids hurts themselves. I don't want to see anything happen to these children, but I just want people to know just how much trouble you can get in if you're not covered by a license if one of the kids gets hurt. It's for the kids and for your protection as well because these matters can turn sour quickly if you're running something illegal, we are talking jail time even for accidents so be smart people. That's all I'm saying.
There is nothing wrong with unlicensed. NOT all states require a license. The correct word is illegal provider. There are many LEGALLY UNLICENSED providers that are operating well within the law without a license.

A license doesn't protect you if someone gets hurt but I understand the point I think you are trying to make.

I also want to point out that even if you didn't give her/them permission to play in your front yard, you CAN be held liable if they are hurt when in your yard. The ONLY way you can protect yourself is to NOT let them be in your front yard.
Tags:2007, cori, illegal providers, inspect, inspection - random, insurance, legally unlicensed, liability, sori, the post that would not end, unlicensed daycare
1 2 3 4 
Reply Up