Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview Questions for Expecting Parents
Lilbutterflie 04:59 PM 04-18-2011
I have an interview tomorrow evening with an expectant couple. Baby is due in June, but needing care starting the first of September. Since I will have two openings starting Aug 22, I thought it would be fine to start interviewing to fill that spot.

I have not interviewed an expectant couple before. I like to run my interviews by asking lots of questions to make sure they are a good fit. With my toddler interviews, a lot of the questions are about discipline, eating habits, napping habits, etc... What questions do you ask an expectant couple?
cheerfuldom 05:31 PM 04-18-2011
This is the hardest interview because no matter what they tell you, things are never for sure when baby arrives. I would try and get a feel for what they plan for their parenting style to be (keeping in mind that could change!) and also make sure they understand as best as possible what you can provide, namely that their child will need to adjust quickly to a group dynamic. You need to be clear about what you are or are not willing to do. Do you have time to rock baby to sleep or do they need to learn to go to sleep on their own quickly? Do you need baby on a routine after a few weeks or are you willing to do "on demand"? Are the parents fully aware of your set up, rules, number of other children attending? Is it okay for mom to come and breast feed at the daycare (a lot of moms will want to come early and feed there or stay late and sit around for that nursing session)? Thats what comes to mind off the top of my head. The best scenario is if this baby already has an older sibling. First time parents are the hardest to deal with in my experience.
Abigail 07:24 PM 04-18-2011
I would probably keep the interview fairly short just because you'll want a second interview to meet the baby and show how you interact with baby. Who knows she'll end up staying home with baby!

I would ask the basics about hours they'll be needing care.....they probably have not even thought about it, lol. I would also mention your rates (probably higher because it's an infant). I would mention the pro's about bringing baby to you because you can provide <certain infant supplies, open early, open late, breast-milk friendly, cloth-diaper friendly, pet-free, low ratio, great rates, flexible, etc> and mention what you think would be a plus.

I honestly didn't know much about daycare rules and the common "duhh" I know now from working in one, so I'm sure these new-to-be-parents don't have a clue they need to sign a contract, need to be on time, need to pay late fees if they're late, need to pay when you're closed, have to follow illness policies, need to understand you're not a nanny and have other children to tend to as well. You might end up interviewing them from a prospective as if you're "training" them in, lol.

You'll definitely want to establish yourself as a business so they don't call for a babysitter to come over to their place when they want a date night. IDK, just trying to think of the unthinkables.
Lilbutterflie 04:24 AM 04-19-2011
Thanks for your advice, ladies!

I have thought of all kinds of questions, but you are both right... they may not have even thought of some of the things I will be bringing up! And even if they have, things will surely change once the baby is here!

The plan is to interview them tonight and if they want to go with my daycare; I would need a signed contract and a two week non-refundable deposit (applicable to the last two weeks of care) to hold the spot. This will protect me should they decide last minute to back out or stay at home with baby.

Then my plan is that in August as time draws near to their start date, to schedule another interview with them to meet the baby and get a feel for their parenting styles and baby's routine.
Tags:expecting parents, interview - questions, pregnancy
Reply Up