Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are There Regs For People Coming Into The Home, Like Speech Therapist?
crazydaycarelady 07:18 AM 11-05-2014
One of my kids is starting speech therapy, it will be 2 days a week at 4:00pm. I know this kid and there is NO WAY he can do this in the dc room. He will have to go into the dining or living room upstairs. Those that have had this before - did you have to alert the state or get any kind of paper work for them?

I'd just call the state and ask but I prefer to just stay off their radar if I can.
Leigh 07:22 AM 11-05-2014
In my state, therapists and medical personnel do not need special clearances to come into daycare. I don't have to alert the state when they come, and they don't need background checks.
Heidi 07:42 AM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
In my state, therapists and medical personnel do not need special clearances to come into daycare. I don't have to alert the state when they come, and they don't need background checks.
Same here. In they would need to be in my sight or sound, just like any other child, since I am still the caregiver and the therapist does not count in my ratios.

I would have them go in an adjoining room where I could hear at some level and peek in unnoticed as well.
Play Care 08:13 AM 11-05-2014
In my state the therapist can take them out of the room for therapy. Once they are under the care of the therapist I do not need to keep them in sight/sound per regs. Most therapists are also under a state agency and have similar background checks and such.

ETA: This actually came up at a training I attended with licensing. One of the providers was insisting that we still needed to maintain sight/sound supervision and licensing was emphatic that this was NOT the case.
Heidi 09:02 AM 11-05-2014
I should clarify that I don't believe it's even addressed in our regs. Only supervision (sight or sound) and other adults who count in our ratios (subs, assistants, volunteers) and household members over the age of 12 are addressed.

So, I go with the supervision aspect, since the other 2 don't apply.
butterfly 10:54 AM 11-05-2014
This is a great question. I never even gave it a thought... I've had several different therapists come in and do therapy for dcks in my home. I always let them go upstairs with the child (while we have daycare downstairs). The therapist just brings the child back downstairs when they finish.
Margarete 12:23 PM 11-05-2014
In California we do not. This type of situation is listed in the background check exemption portion of our handbook. What language does your state handbook use about background check exemptions for adults coming into the home?
KiddieCahoots 12:37 PM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Same here. Although, I was told to insist on verification of person, with a badge or something before entering the daycare.
Also, had an EI worker who insisted she would need a separate room for her session with the baby, away from the other daycare children to reduce distractions.
This same worker left the baby alone to crawl into another room while she sat and finished her paperwork. I cancelled this worker from returning to the daycare setting, which we have the right to do.
crazydaycarelady 01:50 PM 11-05-2014
n/m...
Reply Up