Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would you Term?
Unregistered 07:10 PM 11-07-2014
I have a 1 1/2 yr old boy that I've had since birth. Since turning 1 ( a little before), his behavior is horrible. On a daily basis, he grabs handfuls of hair and pulls, stomps on the other two kids (one is mine and the other is dcb's sister), takes toys and hits with them, and throws a 20-30 min fit at naptime.

I talk to his parents every day and give them a report and I hear, "He's teething," "He didn't get much sleep," "We have noticed that behavior too and we're working on it."

I get that all this behavior is typical of a 1 1/2 year old, but it's every. single. day.

I'm told to put him in time out for a few seconds, but it does nothing to make the behavior better.

I do not want or even know how to tell the parents I can't watch him anymore, but it's so stressful and then I wonder if I'm overreacting and this is really just typical behavior.
craftymissbeth 07:47 PM 11-07-2014
At the least he needs to be separated from the group. Do you have an area where he can play on his own and not have access to the other children? If you can't separate him, I'd term simply because the other children don't deserve that... even if he is very young.
Shell 07:53 PM 11-07-2014
I'm not too sure about this one because it depends on how badly you need this child enrolled, and how much patience you have left. In my experience, and many others on here, we find that if parents are making excuses, rather than helping, you won't really get anywhere. I wouldn't tolerate any of his behaviors. Does he respond to you being really firm, and using a stern, "NO". I find kids at this age usually stop in their tracks and/or cry when you give a firm no. It really boils down to how long you can put up with the behavior. Usually with firmness and consequences ( I don't find time out works at this age, it's better to remove the child and redirect IMO), kids usually outgrow this. But, if it's driving you crazy, it might be best for this family to move on.
Unregistered 01:59 PM 11-08-2014
When I use a firm "NO," he laughs at me. I put him in the pack and play for "time out," but that isn't doing anything. Sometimes he'll cry and throw a fit, but then I let him back out and say, "we can't hit (or whatever the offense). No hitting." He turns around a minute later and does it again. He's started to run away when I go to stop him from doing it, so I know he knows it's wrong.
renodeb 02:21 PM 11-08-2014
If he is laughing at you that would indicate that he probably isn't getting much discipline or guidance at home and doesn't take it seriously. I don't think I could take that every day. To be honest I would term just on the fact that its effecting the other kids so much.
Deb
Reply Up