Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddler Issue at Mealtimes
Josiegirl 03:19 PM 11-07-2014
I have a dcg who's 14 months old, cute as a button. She's a real sweet heart. We've been trying to guide her with a couple things; one is hitting which we think we're making progress with. The other is throwing food at mealtime. I just place a few bites of something on her tray. If she doesn't want it then onto the floor it goes. She's a good little eater but am not sure how to curb the throwing. And what an arm she's got(makes my dogs extremely happy at clean-up time). I think she's starting to get it a little bit, she'll place some of her bites of unwanted food into the cup holder part of her tray. But then the next meal, it goes flying again.
Any suggestions? I'll tell her no throwing, then take all but 1 bite of food off her tray, giving her a piece at a time until she can go back to eating. But that's time-consuming.
Thanks!!
SignMeUp 03:40 PM 11-07-2014
You're probably already doing this, but just in case ...
I'd use the exact same words every time, always ending with what I want her to do: No throwing, put it here.
I wonder what she would do if you put a cup in the cup holder? Toddlers like to put things "in"
Also, somewhere around that age (depends on the child's level of understanding, for some I do this younger), I "assume" that when they start throwing, they are all done. I might say: Oops, no throwing, all done!
hope 04:27 PM 11-07-2014
This is something they grow out of. It is short lived. I like to use multiple bowls and put the chicken in one, veggie in another....just a few pieces at a time. They seem to like to sort than instead of throw. Reminders to eat help. I don't give any attention to the food on the floor otherwise it becomes a game.
Margarete 05:48 PM 11-07-2014
Seeing the dog go after what she throws may also encourage it. I had to train my dog as much as the kids.
Josiegirl 03:13 AM 11-08-2014
What's happening mostly, it's when we sit down to a meal, she sees everybody's plates and if I give her a couple pieces of something she doesn't want at that precise moment, she'll chuck it. It's not that she's not hungry. It seems to be all about which food she wants first. And if I give her a couple different things, she'll throw the ones she doesn't want, even if she loves it. I think I just have to take a little more time with her instead of placing a bunch of stuff there and expecting her to feed herself. I'm sure she'll get it eventually. I'm sure throwing her food off the table will be frowned upon when she goes to high school.
Josiegirl 03:14 AM 11-08-2014
Originally Posted by Margarete:
Seeing the dog go after what she throws may also encourage it. I had to train my dog as much as the kids.
I don't let my dogs in the kitchen while preparing or serving food but they bolt for the table when everybody's done and gone off to play.
racemom 08:41 AM 11-08-2014
I give my toddlers some of everything and if they throw food on the floor, I usually start out by telling them we don't throw food. If they do it again I remove the food while saying you must be all done. Then after a few minutes if the are wanting the food back, I say oh I thought you were done, if you want more you have to leave it on your tray. The next time they throw food at that meal/snack I clean them up and they are done. We eat often enough that I don't worry about them not getting enough to eat. it doesn't take long for them to realize if they want more of what they like, they cannot throw what they don't!
kitykids3 10:29 AM 11-08-2014
Originally Posted by racemom:
I give my toddlers some of everything and if they throw food on the floor, I usually start out by telling them we don't throw food. If they do it again I remove the food while saying you must be all done. Then after a few minutes if the are wanting the food back, I say oh I thought you were done, if you want more you have to leave it on your tray. The next time they throw food at that meal/snack I clean them up and they are done. We eat often enough that I don't worry about them not getting enough to eat. it doesn't take long for them to realize if they want more of what they like, they cannot throw what they don't!
This! except for I tell them food is for eating, put it in your mouth, not the floor.
renodeb 02:30 PM 11-08-2014
My dog loves it when the dc kids eat. My 2 year olds are very entertained by the dog and will throw food just so she can go after it. When I see them throw food I say "All done". Most of the time that stops it. With a younger child I would use as few words as possible and do the same thing. Being consistent is hard but I think it will pay off. Good luck. I honestly think that if there hungry they will eat.
Tags:meal issues, mealtime - behaviour
Reply Up