Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do About Sandbox Sand?
nothingwithoutjoy 11:13 AM 05-10-2012
I was all excited today that I've finally gotten some sand to begin to refill our empty-for-a-year sandbox (we'd moved it and hadn't gotten around to getting new sand). A parent complained, saying play sand isn't safe, and sending links to various articles (re lung cancer, silicone, manufactured sand). Of course the good stuff costs an arm and a leg, and it's all going to get lost all over the yard. Just wondering what others use, and how concerned you are about it. I just wanted to fill my sandbox.
Heidi 11:17 AM 05-10-2012
My husband went across the street and brought back several wheelbarrows full of sand from and empty lot.

Is "play sand" different than just plain old sand?

Gosh, I get that their may be risks...I guess....but where do you draw the line?

We COULD just wrap them all in egg cartons or something, right?
Country Kids 11:20 AM 05-10-2012
I do buy "playground sand" from Lowes. Not sure what the differenceis but there must be something different for them to package it that way. May not as dusty something. I have noticed with this type I have had no problems ever with cats though doing their business in it.
Blackcat31 11:47 AM 05-10-2012
We have several gravel pit/construction companies in town. If you are willing to shovel and haul your own sand, they allow you to take as much as you need for free.

When we built our sandbox (14 ft x 14 ft) we were lucky enough that we were able to have a friend haul a giant dump truck load over from a small sand pit we have on our own property.

Wondering if you could ask if you have a business that is similar.
MarinaVanessa 11:50 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I do buy "playground sand" from Lowes. Not sure what the differenceis but there must be something different for them to package it that way. May not as dusty something. I have noticed with this type I have had no problems ever with cats though doing their business in it.
I do too.

Here's an article that you can print out and give to your concerned parent.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/lifest...5807-ar-35547/

Point out highlight the part that says

"There have been no documented cases of children developing cancer from play sand. Most warnings refer to frequent, long-term exposure.

Nevertheless, sandbox play is the latest beneficial developmental activity to have lost its innocence. Lead in swing-set coatings, pool drains that can trap children underwater, carcinogenic plastic in drinking vessels and toxic play sand are seen as either true causes for concern or just the latest causes for overprotective parents."
Blackcat31 11:54 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I do too.

Here's an article that you can print out and give to your concerned parent.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/lifest...5807-ar-35547/

Point out highlight the part that says

"There have been no documented cases of children developing cancer from play sand. Most warnings refer to frequent, long-term exposure.

Nevertheless, sandbox play is the latest beneficial developmental activity to have lost its innocence. Lead in swing-set coatings, pool drains that can trap children underwater, carcinogenic plastic in drinking vessels and toxic play sand are seen as either true causes for concern or just the latest causes for overprotective parents."
This made me chuckle as a cople years back we had this thing with landscape timbers being made with arsenic in them as a preservative and I had a daycare parent who wrote out explicit instructions that her children were to NEVER be allowed to play in my sandbox because she thought the landscape timbers we used to make the box were full of arsenic.

Ours weren't, as we had bought the non-arsenic kind that was completely safe but she just kep saying "you can never be too sure".

It was sooooo sad to see a giganitc sandbox filled with happy palying kids while her two boys sat off wishing they could play too.
itlw8 11:55 AM 05-10-2012
We get ours from the sand plant it is dredged from the river.
Just read the label the problem sand is the ground up quartz so choose the stuff used for concrete it is usually brown no white and is not ground quartz
itlw8 11:57 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This made me chuckle as a cople years back we had this thing with landscape timbers being made with arsenic in them as a preservative and I had a daycare parent who wrote out explicit instructions that her children were to NEVER be allowed to play in my sandbox because she thought the landscape timbers we used to make the box were full of arsenic.

Ours weren't, as we had bought the non-arsenic kind that was completely safe but she just kep saying "you can never be too sure".

It was sooooo sad to see a giganitc sandbox filled with happy palying kids while her two boys sat off wishing they could play too.
You cant even buy the bad treated timbers anymore.... I replace my swingset in a grant using that as an excuse. the man from the health dept laughed. He was glad it worked to get the grant but any arsenic had leached out of the wood years ago he said.
sharlan 12:57 PM 05-10-2012
I use the sand from Lowe's, too.
E Daycare 06:15 AM 05-11-2012
I bought blue and red fun sand from menards. It's non-toxic and has a bit of a different texture as it wont really hold as well as beach sand when wet but it'll hold enough to build sand castles. It mixed and is now purple but is so easy to clean off of hands. Added plus; when one of my dck threw it at another I was able to see it in his eye when I was trying to flush it out so I knew when it was gone (not really an added plus but more of a "this is why we can't have nice things!")

It wasn't very expensive either and came in nice bags with handles.

http://www.funsand.net/
Childminder 08:45 AM 05-11-2012
One of the differences in sand is that play sand is washed so the dirty dirt that comes in pit or fill sand has been rinsed away. Some sand is naturally cleaner depends on where you live and what your ground is like. We live in an area with lots of clay which is filthy. (Grew up next to a gravel pit.) Try to get washed sand if you do buy it. The sand in bags that state play sand is usually finer grains also.
MarinaVanessa 10:40 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by Childminder:
One of the differences in sand is that play sand is washed so the dirty dirt that comes in pit or fill sand has been rinsed away. Some sand is naturally cleaner depends on where you live and what your ground is like. We live in an area with lots of clay which is filthy. (Grew up next to a gravel pit.) Try to get washed sand if you do buy it. The sand in bags that state play sand is usually finer grains also.
Yes, this. And it's important to remember that when proffesionals say that constant exposure to the blah, blah, blah that's in sand can cause blah, blah, blah that they mean that constant exposure means people that work in the mines that are constantly breathing it in. Playing in sand daily in DC for an hour and occasionally eating some of it (like the younger kids) isn't a reason for alarm KWIM?
nothingwithoutjoy 10:59 AM 05-14-2012
Thanks so much for all the responses. I was having a bad day, and this one just made me grumpy! I needed some support from those who understand. :-)

Meanwhile, I read all the links the parent provided, plus some research of my own. The concern is that play sand is manufactured (ground up stone) rather than naturally-made (as at the beach). In grinding, it's made very fine, and may contain asbestos-like substances, which may be tied to lung cancer (in those who manufacture the sand or do sandblasting; no shown connection to playing in it). I felt ok about my daughter playing in it, provided I keep it somewhat dampened so that they're not breathing it in.

But in the meantime, I had a brainstorm. I'd only been able to get 4 little bags so far--just barely filled the floor of the sandbox. So I need lots more. I decided to make it a collaborative group project for the summer, and have asked all the families to participate. I'm hoping everyone will bring back a bit (5 gallons?) of sand from their travels this summer, and then our sandbox will be full of all our memories, as well as safe sand, bits of shells and driftwood, and the good feelings of those who participated. :-)

Will let you know how it goes.
Country Kids 12:41 PM 05-14-2012
At our beaches here we are not allowed to take sand! Against the law big, big, big time. Don't ask me why but there are signs everwhere with big warnings about it. Yes, there are beach police on 4 wheelers and in hte parkin lots, etc., so the chances of you getting caught are likely.

So don't be dissapointed if your plans don't work-
Tags:materials, sand, sand box
Reply Up