Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2021, 07:12 AM
mamadaycare's Avatar
mamadaycare mamadaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 38
Default Should I Term Already?

I have posted here a few times and I always get the best advice from you all! So I just started a new kid yesterday and he took a great nap which was my saving grace for the day. He is a 1 on 1 child. He was turning all my lights on and off all day even after being told not to every time. He broke a toy after being told to stop doing that with it all morning. and then he ended the day by slapping a baby across the face because he wanted to play in the kitchen center with the new child. When mom came for pick up I told her about his day and her response to him slapping another child was "oh, that doesn't surprise me." And I followed up with, "yeah, thats something we are going to have to work on." To be honest I don't even want him to come back tomorrow. I have a 1 week trial period in my contract and I want to use that, but I don't know if I am just being to critical of his first day. But man, he was EXTREMELY comfortable for his first day.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2021, 07:53 AM
springv's Avatar
springv springv is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 465
Default

I wouldn't necessarily term just yet.Tell the child that if he does whatever again that he will be placed into timeout and not allowed to play and if you have a behavior sheet, write a sad face on his sheet and a note explaining what happened and what was done about it. And if the child has a good day,put a happy face on his behavior shioeet
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2021, 08:14 AM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,060
Default

Go with your gut. If you have a trial period and you want to end care. Then just say that x is not a good fit for your dc. Depending on your policy, have the refund ready.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2021, 08:29 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,445
Default

I'd term.

The kid I might be able to change with effort and time, but not his mom.

IMPE, mom's who say things like that about their own kid like the fact that their kid is "difficult" because it nets them (mom) attention (histrionic feed). The kid also feeds into it because it nets them attention from mom whether negative or positive (behavior plan rewards).

* I am also assuming the child is over 3 since they can reach light switches.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2021, 08:44 AM
mamadaycare's Avatar
mamadaycare mamadaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
Go with your gut. If you have a trial period and you want to end care. Then just say that x is not a good fit for your dc. Depending on your policy, have the refund ready.
That is what I am thinking I am going to do. I have a newborn sibling starting in a few weeks and I can't have the new kid who needs 1 on 1 while trying to help a newborn. I have an AMAZING group right now and he changes the entire dynamic
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2021, 08:45 AM
mamadaycare's Avatar
mamadaycare mamadaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by springvalley112 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily term just yet.Tell the child that if he does whatever again that he will be placed into timeout and not allowed to play and if you have a behavior sheet, write a sad face on his sheet and a note explaining what happened and what was done about it. And if the child has a good day,put a happy face on his behavior shioeet
I considered doing something like this, but with the moms response to him being physical on the first day I am not optimistic about the future with this family
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2021, 08:50 AM
mamadaycare's Avatar
mamadaycare mamadaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I'd term.

The kid I might be able to change with effort and time, but not his mom.

IMPE, mom's who say things like that about their own kid like the fact that their kid is "difficult" because it nets them (mom) attention (histrionic feed). The kid also feeds into it because it nets them attention from mom whether negative or positive (behavior plan rewards).

* I am also assuming the child is over 3 since they can reach light switches.
I just felt like she truly didn't care. The group I have now has never hit another child and I don't want them to learn from the new child. I also have a newborn sibling starting this month and if the new child were to hit the baby I am worried the mom would pull and I don't want to lose that family. Yes he is almost 3. It was like he was at his own house doing whatever he wanted, no matter how many times I talked to him about it. And if he is that comfortable on his first day I can't imagine what the future will be like.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2021, 09:28 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
The kid I might be able to change with effort and time, but not his mom.
This is always my deciding factor.

I can fix kid issues that happen at daycare but ONLY if the parent is on the same page as I am.

If not, I won't waste anyone's time.

A physically aggressive child is not a child I am willing to continue caring for all too often and NEVER if the parent simply blows it off like its no big deal or not their problem.

I can also guarantee those types of parents are the type that flip a lid if their child is hit by someone else so..


I vote term.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-05-2021, 11:33 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,815
Default

Is he not full time? It sounded like he's not there today. I think, IIWM, I'd give it until the end of this week but warn dcm when you see her what the outcome will most likely be. Deciding factors for me would be how well the parents back you up and your incoming infant.

I agree with you when you say for a new child, he seems extremely comfortable. Usually it takes awhile for them to show their true colors before they let you have it with gusto. I wouldn't want to wait around to witness his next performances.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-05-2021, 12:12 PM
mamadaycare's Avatar
mamadaycare mamadaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
This is always my deciding factor.

I can fix kid issues that happen at daycare but ONLY if the parent is on the same page as I am.

If not, I won't waste anyone's time.

A physically aggressive child is not a child I am willing to continue caring for all too often and NEVER if the parent simply blows it off like its no big deal or not their problem.

I can also guarantee those types of parents are the type that flip a lid if their child is hit by someone else so..


I vote term.

I couldn't agree more! I have been thinking about it nonstop since last night and I think terming is the right choice in this situation.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-05-2021, 12:15 PM
mamadaycare's Avatar
mamadaycare mamadaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
Is he not full time? It sounded like he's not there today. I think, IIWM, I'd give it until the end of this week but warn dcm when you see her what the outcome will most likely be. Deciding factors for me would be how well the parents back you up and your incoming infant.

I agree with you when you say for a new child, he seems extremely comfortable. Usually it takes awhile for them to show their true colors before they let you have it with gusto. I wouldn't want to wait around to witness his next performances.
He is full time but he had an appointment today so he didn't come. Yes I was shocked with how he just made it his home. Which I am glad he was comfortable but doing whatever he wants and going where ever he wants in my house don't fly with me. He would be better with a nanny I think.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-05-2021, 12:54 PM
Rockgirl's Avatar
Rockgirl Rockgirl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,178
Default

Slapping a baby across the face would be a no-go here. I would term.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-05-2021, 01:01 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgirl View Post
Slapping a baby across the face would be a no-go here. I would term.
Oh geez yeh, I forgot about that! Say buhbye....
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-06-2021, 08:17 AM
Sunshine69's Avatar
Sunshine69 Sunshine69 is online now
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 144
Default

I agree with the term advice.

Thatís three big strikes the first day. Slapping babies, breaking toys and a parent that blows it all off. Nope, not a good fit at all.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-06-2021, 11:59 AM
mamadaycare's Avatar
mamadaycare mamadaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 38
Default

I decided to term last night, mom wasn't super happy as she didn't think his day warranted being terminated. But I stayed strong in my decision and I am so happy I did!

Thank you everyone for your advice! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-06-2021, 01:13 PM
Rockgirl's Avatar
Rockgirl Rockgirl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadaycare View Post
I decided to term last night, mom wasn't super happy as she didn't think his day warranted being terminated. But I stayed strong in my decision and I am so happy I did!

Thank you everyone for your advice! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting.
Whew! What a relief, huh?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-08-2021, 01:11 PM
mamadaycare's Avatar
mamadaycare mamadaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgirl View Post
Whew! What a relief, huh?
SUCH a relief! I was so nervous but man am I happy I decided to do it!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-12-2021, 12:20 PM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,534
Default

Good for you! Mom needs to hear NO many, many times before this child has a chance at being disciplined.

ANYONE hits our littles and they are G O N E. My bigs protect our toddlers to a fault.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aggressive behavior, drama creation, drama for momma, drama triangle, histrionic

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Do You Term A Family? First Time! BBDC Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 08-25-2018 08:00 AM
Who To Term? lovemydaycare0912 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 17 03-10-2017 09:15 PM
to term or not to term? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 04-20-2015 05:52 PM
Parent Term Form? nmitthun Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 02-04-2015 09:00 AM
Long post about first term :( Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 22 11-09-2013 02:38 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming