Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Ask About Dr. Appointments?
Shell 06:45 AM 04-14-2014
I have a dcg that never, ever misses a day. First one in, last one out. Well, this a.m., I get an email that dcg has a doctor's appointment, and will be in late. Dcg arrives with those stickers from the dr office, but I am on a very important call (they arrived about 10 mins before expected time). I quietly ask, "Is dcg ok?" Dcm says, "yes, she was a little stuffy, so we took her in". I said, "is everything ok, what did the doctor say?" She replies it was just a regular check-up, says goodbye, and leaves like it's no big deal.

Dcg wouldn't be due for her annual physical/appointment for another month, so I am really confused as to why she is having a "regular" check-up. What do you ask parents about appointments? Do you require a note for something that seems to have just suddenly come up like this?
Cradle2crayons 06:57 AM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
I have a dcg that never, ever misses a day. First one in, last one out. Well, this a.m., I get an email that dcg has a doctor's appointment, and will be in late. Dcg arrives with those stickers from the dr office, but I am on a very important call (they arrived about 10 mins before expected time). I quietly ask, "Is dcg ok?" Dcm says, "yes, she was a little stuffy, so we took her in". I said, "is everything ok, what did the doctor say?" She replies it was just a regular check-up, says goodbye, and leaves like it's no big deal.

Dcg wouldn't be due for her annual physical/appointment for another month, so I am really confused as to why she is having a "regular" check-up. What do you ask parents about appointments? Do you require a note for something that seems to have just suddenly come up like this?
I require a form for every dr appointment. If they are going in for a physical I require the form... Shots? The form... Illness? DEFINATELY the form...

If they are going in for say refills like my daughter does, no form is needed for that.
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 04-14-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:

How old is the child?

I can see how this would seem a little suspicious but honestly unless DCM actually says any different, you kind of have to believe her...kwim?

I would however, take into account the DCK's behavior (and words if she is old enough) and make a judgment call according to what things I KNOW.

Otherwise, there isn't a lot you can do.

I DO require a Dr's note but only if I sent the child home or I know they have/had something contagious...otherwise, I have no knowledge of a child's visits to the Dr.
originalkat 07:26 AM 04-14-2014
Hmmm. I do not require them to tell me anything about their Dr. appointments. If they offer then that is great. I may ask a general question as you did. But other than that I do not see it as my business.
CraftyMom 07:32 AM 04-14-2014
I recently added to my illness policy that if a child goes to the dr for any reason there is a new diagnosis, new medication prescribed or immunizations given then I need a print out from the dr.
Shell 08:13 AM 04-14-2014
Ugh! Dcg is really sick with a bad cold! I called dcm to clarify, because it is just so uncharacteristic of them to take her to the dr. They are notorious for letting her symptoms go for so long and blaming "allergies", so much so that I was suspicious. Anyway, dcm says the doctor said it was a cold. Dcm said she was a mess this weekend, had trouble sleeping and breathing. I confronted dcm about Tylenol, because dcg said she had some. Dcm said it was given to her this weekend, but didn't fess up to today. Unfortunately, I am closing early, so probably won't be able to catch a "dope and drop". So, now she's in the playroom with snots all over her little face, touching everything- wish dcm could have kept her home Nothing excludable at this point, but you know all the kids are going to catch this
hwichlaz 07:47 AM 04-16-2014
I require that they be kept home for 24 hours after an immunization as infants. Once they are old enough to tell me how they feel I no longer require it.

Otherwise, dr. appts are none of my business, other than keeping a log of vaccines.
Tags:dr appointment - child, illness policy
Reply Up