Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>14 Month Olds Won't Sleep. I'm Losing It
Unregistered 09:58 AM 09-02-2015
Registered but logged out because I'm pretty heated and feeling kind of crazy. Lol

I have two 1yo dcgirls. They're 14 months.

They will not nap! They're on a wonky schedule but I still lay them down at the same time everyday. I used to lay them in the same room but they would scream/cry on and off for 2 hours! And keep eachother awake. So now I switched them to different rooms but one of them is still in a room with other kids so her screaming and crying is just keeping everyone awake and causing so much crankiness. They will normally cry uncontrollably for 20-30 minutes when I lay them down and then sleep for 20 minutes and cry uncontrollably (LOUD and screaming, barely breathing kind of crying) for another 20 minutes, sleep for 20 minutes, etc.
I've tried everything. Letting them cry it out, rubbing their back, shushing them, white noise, soft music, dark room

Parents say that they sleep alone at home and do fine.

I am so angry about it. JUST GO THE F*** TO SLEEP.

I know that's crazy and I love them when they're awake but I just cannot control my anger when they keep all my kids awake. It's causing some serious problems.

I cannot get ANYTHING done because they are so tired when they're up that they cling to me like glue and cry all day. I can't spend time with my big kids, can't clean, can't anything!
Unregistered 10:02 AM 09-02-2015
I dont know how to edit but they actually sleep in the same room at home. thats why i thought they'd do well in the same nap room here. but it doesnt fail that if one falls asleep the other will wake her up when she starts crying. and then theyre both screaming
childcaremom 10:09 AM 09-02-2015
Do they have a schedule at home? How long have you had them?
auntymimi 10:22 AM 09-02-2015
Bless your heart, this sounds so familiar, lol. If you get it figured out, let me know. I consulted a old school provider in my area about this same issue and she told me "child, you can't make 'em sleep. What you can do is wear him out and fill him up and put him down at the same time everyday.he'll get it. It ain't gonna hurt him to cry. Cry now or cry all day cause he tired."
Unregistered 10:24 AM 09-02-2015
i've had them for a little over 3 months. they get here early in the morning so they have to wake up early. at home they sleep later, I guess? sometimes they arrive and one was awake from 3-5 and then slept for an hour before coming here. sometimes they say that when they pick up at 5:45-6 that the kids go home and are so tired they can't even eat dinner. they are always crabby and miserable when they leave here. the parents are nicely blaming me. they make comments here and there. but im trying to get them to sleep more here. they just wont

when they first came they kinda took 2 naps a day. kinda not. so i tried the 2 naps a day but really that second nap should happen around 5pm and they get picked up about 6pm so i cant really do that

i think they need 1 solid nap a day. but its just not happening
childcaremom 10:43 AM 09-02-2015
So they were 11 mos when they started? That's generally the age I get them, too.

At their age now, yes, I would be doing 1 nap. Probably 11-2 or 12-3. Lots of busy morning time outside, a quick lunch, and down. I would try to separate them but if not, I think I would leave them together.

I would be pretty rigid with the schedule. I would be telling mom and dad to get with the program, too. I would also be putting a star on the calendar.

ETA: If they are waking early to get there.... maybe they need to go back down right away for a quick nap?

It also doesn't sound like you are the only one having sleep issues. If they are awake from 3-5, what does mom and dad do?
auntymimi 10:43 AM 09-02-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
i've had them for a little over 3 months. they get here early in the morning so they have to wake up early. at home they sleep later, I guess? sometimes they arrive and one was awake from 3-5 and then slept for an hour before coming here. sometimes they say that when they pick up at 5:45-6 that the kids go home and are so tired they can't even eat dinner. they are always crabby and miserable when they leave here. the parents are nicely blaming me. they make comments here and there. but im trying to get them to sleep more here. they just wont

when they first came they kinda took 2 naps a day. kinda not. so i tried the 2 naps a day but really that second nap should happen around 5pm and they get picked up about 6pm so i cant really do that

How are they being napped at home? I would be willing to bet they're either layed down with, nursed or held to sleep. The kid I have now just turned 12 mos and HAS NEVER laid in a crib until he came to me. Was held all through nap and mom even sleeps in a chair to bf on demand all night long. Just crazy.
daycarediva 10:57 AM 09-02-2015

I would lay them back down at arrival, get into a good routine of that. Separate, dark room, white noise. No nonsense "Time for sleep. Night night."

peek/check on them without being seen, go back in after 30-45 minutes all cheery. "Goooood morning!" then change diapers, breakfast.

LOTS of good play, lots of outside, quick lunch, back down for a good 2-3 hours in the afternoon. Same routine. "Time for sleep. Night night." peek/check without them seeing you, enter the room when rest time is over "HI! Time to wake up!" snack, play home.

They WILL get it. Doesn't sound like they're sleeping well at home either, although if they slept from 6-3, they probably want to be up for the day after 9 hours of sleep.

I would be putting that star on the calendar. I will do this until X date, and then give notice if it hasn't improved.
Heidi 12:53 PM 09-02-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would lay them back down at arrival, get into a good routine of that. Separate, dark room, white noise. No nonsense "Time for sleep. Night night."

peek/check on them without being seen, go back in after 30-45 minutes all cheery. "Goooood morning!" then change diapers, breakfast.

LOTS of good play, lots of outside, quick lunch, back down for a good 2-3 hours in the afternoon. Same routine. "Time for sleep. Night night." peek/check without them seeing you, enter the room when rest time is over "HI! Time to wake up!" snack, play home.

They WILL get it. Doesn't sound like they're sleeping well at home either, although if they slept from 6-3, they probably want to be up for the day after 9 hours of sleep.

This way, they relate the music to wake up time. Otherwise, how do they know just how long they have to scream to get the message across?

I would be putting that star on the calendar. I will do this until X date, and then give notice if it hasn't improved.

Except that I would add an external cue to let them know when nap is over. My baby monitor has a music button that I push before I walk in the room. I tell them when I lay them down, "I will be back when the music comes on". A clock radio would work, too. Just stand outside the door until you hear it come on.
BabyMonkeys 01:13 PM 09-02-2015
Do they share a crib at home? I know a friend of mine has 14m twins that will not sleep if they aren't in the same bed. Thankfully she stays home with them because it would be a major licensing problem here.
Blackcat31 01:19 PM 09-02-2015
Registered but logged out because I'm pretty heated and feeling kind of crazy. Lol

I have two 1yo dcgirls. They're 14 months.

They will not nap! They're on a wonky schedule but I still lay them down at the same time everyday. I used to lay them in the same room but they would scream/cry on and off for 2 hours! And keep eachother awake. So now I switched them to different rooms but one of them is still in a room with other kids so her screaming and crying is just keeping everyone awake and causing so much crankiness. They will normally cry uncontrollably for 20-30 minutes when I lay them down and then sleep for 20 minutes and cry uncontrollably (LOUD and screaming, barely breathing kind of crying) for another 20 minutes, sleep for 20 minutes, etc.
I've tried everything. Letting them cry it out, rubbing their back, shushing them, white noise, soft music, dark room

Parents say that they sleep alone at home and do fine.

I am so angry about it. JUST GO THE F*** TO SLEEP.

I know that's crazy and I love them when they're awake but I just cannot control my anger when they keep all my kids awake. It's causing some serious problems.

I cannot get ANYTHING done because they are so tired when they're up that they cling to me like glue and cry all day. I can't spend time with my big kids, can't clean, can't anything!
Don't know if you'd be open to it or not but it sounds like you are in serious need of a consult with the daycare whisperer.

She (NannyDe) knows babies and she knows how they tick when it comes to the basics of food, sleep and supervision.

If you are interested, I bet a consult with her would be the solution to your problem. If you are interested....give her a call.
I'll "summon" () her presence and she can post her info for you.
nannyde 01:25 PM 09-02-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Don't know if you'd be open to it or not but it sounds like you are in serious need of a consult with the daycare whisperer.

She (NannyDe) knows babies and she knows how they tick when it comes to the basics of food, sleep and supervision.

If you are interested, I bet a consult with her would be the solution to your problem. If you are interested....give her a call.
I'll "summon" () her presence and she can post her info for you.
Feel free to contact me by pm thru here or message me thru Facebook. Total confidentiality so no worries.
Willow 01:39 PM 09-02-2015
Are they overtired from getting up so early?

I know that's probably the biggest catalyst to nap troubles with my twins. If I wait too long, forget about it.

(nannyde - never had to do CIO! Moved the boys to their own cribs in their own room that night and they slept 12 hours right off the bat - have nearly every single night since to boot! The only thing I can figure is our elderly dog was waking them up with his resituating at night, and then once they were up it was tough to fall back asleep because they'd inadvertently disturb each other. Loving life again! Thank you!!! )
auntymimi 02:17 PM 09-02-2015
Originally Posted by Willow:
Are they overtired from getting up so early?

I know that's probably the biggest catalyst to nap troubles with my twins. If I wait too long, forget about it.

(nannyde - never had to do CIO! Moved the boys to their own cribs in their own room that night and they slept 12 hours right off the bat - have nearly every single night since to boot! The only thing I can figure is our elderly dog was waking them up with his resituating at night, and then once they were up it was tough to fall back asleep because they'd inadvertently disturb each other. Loving life again! Thank you!!! )
Maybe that's my little buds problem, overtired. CIO is my absolute last option. I hate To do it and it freaks out my kids.
Reply Up