Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>10 Most Important Things in Your Handbook
Josiegirl 03:26 AM 05-08-2016
I'm tweaking page by page but my policies handbook isn't that long so I know I'm missing tons of important stuff that could become problematic.
Looking at your own handbook what would you say are the 10 most important issues you've confronted.
I have paragraphs about fees, holidays/time off, potty training, discipline and guidance, meals, drop offs and pick ups, things they need to bring(and NOT bring). That's off the top of my head.
And if you have any issues with each topic what have you added to detail your expectations? For instance, I've added do not bring anything from home except needed items(such as sunscreen, diapers, etc.)but I've further had to add to check children's pockets and backpacks(if they bring them) after finding tiny game pieces and dimes in my almost 3 yo's pockets.

Thanks for any input you might have!!!
Thriftylady 05:47 AM 05-08-2016
No backpacks or diaper bags except for the backpacks of kids coming in from school! Along with that no food, drinks or toys from home. Those two things have made my days much easier.

No Flip flops or open toed shoes in daycare! Kids must have shoes they can run and play in.
JackandJill 06:09 AM 05-08-2016
Provider maternity leave (though I know this doesn't apply to all providers!), no smoking, parking and damages

Maternity leave for the provider:
4 to 8 weeks of unpaid maternity leave is allowed after the provider’s baby is born, in addition to any unpaid medical leave that is necessary before giving birth. Parents will be responsible for making alternate arrangements for child care.

No Smoking Policy:
I am a non-smoker. Licensing regulations prohibit smoking in the daycare home during daycare hours. There will be no smoking permitted on the property. Please do no dispose of cigarettes on the daycare property, or my neighbors’ property.

Parking:
There is a two car driveway for parental use when spots are open. Otherwise, please use the side of the road in front of the daycare property. Please refrain from parking on/in front of the neighbor’s yards.

Damages:
My home is child-proofed to the best of my ability. However, accidents do happen. Any damage to the home or personal belongings that is willfully caused by your child will be replaced or repaired at the cost of the parents. I will repair or replace broken daycare equipment & toys due to normal wear and tear. However, should your child purposely damage or break property, equipment or toys, then the item will be repaired or replaced at the cost of the parents.

ETA: these all stem from one family! Dcd used to pull onto my nieghbors grass and flick his cigarette but into their yard, I thought I would have a heart attack!! They were also upset I wouldn't help them find alt care while I was on my 4 weeks maternity. They didn't last very long here!
Thriftylady 06:29 AM 05-08-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
Provider maternity leave (though I know this doesn't apply to all providers!), no smoking, parking and damages

Maternity leave for the provider:
4 to 8 weeks of unpaid maternity leave is allowed after the provider’s baby is born, in addition to any unpaid medical leave that is necessary before giving birth. Parents will be responsible for making alternate arrangements for child care.

No Smoking Policy:
I am a non-smoker. Licensing regulations prohibit smoking in the daycare home during daycare hours. There will be no smoking permitted on the property. Please do no dispose of cigarettes on the daycare property, or my neighbors’ property.

Parking:
There is a two car driveway for parental use when spots are open. Otherwise, please use the side of the road in front of the daycare property. Please refrain from parking on/in front of the neighbor’s yards.

Damages:
My home is child-proofed to the best of my ability. However, accidents do happen. Any damage to the home or personal belongings that is willfully caused by your child will be replaced or repaired at the cost of the parents. I will repair or replace broken daycare equipment & toys due to normal wear and tear. However, should your child purposely damage or break property, equipment or toys, then the item will be repaired or replaced at the cost of the parents.

ETA: these all stem from one family! Dcd used to pull onto my nieghbors grass and flick his cigarette but into their yard, I thought I would have a heart attack!! They were also upset I wouldn't help them find alt care while I was on my 4 weeks maternity. They didn't last very long here!
I got strict on the smoking thing about a year ago. I had a set of parents who would come in the door for pick up and hang their cigarettes out the door. Um NO! I now allow NO smoking materials or snuff on the property.
Josiegirl 06:59 AM 05-08-2016
Thank you!!
I do need to add the shoes policy. Thanks for the reminder; too many kids trying to climb and run through mulch in flipflops or cute little sandals.
I should add the no smoking on property too, for the future possibility.
More more, I need more ideas!
What about holding spots? I've never put anything like that into my handbook but want to now. Probably silly questions but what if you're full right up until they need care, do you charge a holding fee or weekly payments of some kind? What if you have a dcm expecting and neither of you clearly knows what the start date will be? How do you keep that spot open? For instance, I won't be able to take a current dcm's baby for at least a year after she's born so do I just charge an enrollment fee closer to the starting date so I have that commitment? So many things I'm not clear about or how to write it in my handbook.

Thanks again!
JackandJill 10:08 AM 05-08-2016
This is my holding poicy

Holding Spaces and Holding Fees:
Daycare spaces may be help up to 8 weeks in advance of a start date. A holding fee guarantees that I will keep a spot open for your start date. It does not guarantee that I will have your spot open before your start date. Holds do not start until paperwork has been signed by both parties, a start date has been agreed upon, and initial payment has been made.

The holding fee is $50 per week and can be paid weekly or in full in advance. If the family cancels the hold before any care is given, any paid holding fees will not be refunded. Late payments will result in a late fee being added. If payment is overdue by a week then the hold will be considered canceled by the family.

Thriftylady 12:21 PM 05-08-2016
Holding spots is not in my handbook, but I am thinking of typing up a form for it in case it comes up. I haven't needed to as yet though.
Mike 12:25 PM 05-08-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
No Smoking Policy:

Damages:
I need to add those 2 to mine. Thanks
childcaremom 03:02 PM 05-08-2016
Illness policy.

Late pick up policy.

Cut off time for drop offs.

Late tuition payments.

Full time vs part time. Full time trumps part time.

Holidays: dcp and provider holidays. Paid/unpaid. Holiday closures with pay. Policy for provider vacation and days off. How much notice given.

What parents provide. I send home a letter with detailed items for outdoor play. I do not have this in my handbook other than to say that a detailed list will be provided. Pick up or turned away at door if items are not here at outdoor time.

Our schedule/routine. Not listed in the handbook but that it will be posted on my website and will change as the seasons change. Naps are non-negotiable.

Kids arrive ready for the day. Clean diaper, ate breakfast (and are clean), etc.

Discipline.
childcaremom 03:17 PM 05-08-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Thank you!!
I do need to add the shoes policy. Thanks for the reminder; too many kids trying to climb and run through mulch in flipflops or cute little sandals.
I should add the no smoking on property too, for the future possibility.
More more, I need more ideas!
What about holding spots? I've never put anything like that into my handbook but want to now. Probably silly questions but what if you're full right up until they need care, do you charge a holding fee or weekly payments of some kind? What if you have a dcm expecting and neither of you clearly knows what the start date will be? How do you keep that spot open? For instance, I won't be able to take a current dcm's baby for at least a year after she's born so do I just charge an enrollment fee closer to the starting date so I have that commitment? So many things I'm not clear about or how to write it in my handbook.

Thanks again!
I don't have my holding policy in my handbook except for teachers. For full year clients, I have not found an ideal solution and therefore want to leave wiggle room so i can change my mind.
childcaremom 03:21 PM 05-08-2016
I think your best bet is to look at the situations that bothered you the most over the past little while. Maybe there was a scenario that played out a few times and/or with different families.

Would a policy help address those issues?

And to add a few more:
Medication: no otc meds while in care and I won't administer them, either. Prescription meds need to have a form (although I may change this as I did not like administering them here)

Excluding after booster shots/flu shots

Inclement weather/power outage closures and when I will stay open.
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 05-09-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm tweaking page by page but my policies handbook isn't that long so I know I'm missing tons of important stuff that could become problematic.
Looking at your own handbook what would you say are the 10 most important issues you've confronted.
I have paragraphs about fees, holidays/time off, potty training, discipline and guidance, meals, drop offs and pick ups, things they need to bring(and NOT bring). That's off the top of my head.
And if you have any issues with each topic what have you added to detail your expectations? For instance, I've added do not bring anything from home except needed items(such as sunscreen, diapers, etc.)but I've further had to add to check children's pockets and backpacks(if they bring them) after finding tiny game pieces and dimes in my almost 3 yo's pockets.

Thanks for any input you might have!!!
These are the sub-headings of each section in my handbook. I view them all as important and worth clarifying or expanding.

thrivingchildcarecom 10:34 AM 05-11-2016
I think these ladies have it covered here so I don't have an item to add to the list, but I will say that I think its a good idea to be sure some of the biggies are also in your contract as well. Also, its not a bad idea to annually revisit your handbook and policies to tweak anything that needs it. I currently post my handbook and policies on my website. Easy access for the parents and easy for me to update and post as well.
Tags:handbook, parent handbook
Reply Up