Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>48 Hour Illness Policy
jenboo 10:15 PM 05-11-2016
I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.
How do you explain the 24/48 hour illness policy to families?
Ariana 10:20 PM 05-11-2016
I have it in my handbook. I list all of the symptoms that I exclude for and that children are not able to return until they have been symptom free for 24 hours. In the case of antibiotics my handbook says they must be on antibiotics for 48 hours before returning.

Is this what you mean?
JackandJill 03:56 AM 05-12-2016
I believe it is 24 hours excluded from care if parents keep a sick child home, 48 hours excluded from care if a sick child is sent home.

But I could be wrong!
childcaremom 04:14 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
I believe it is 24 hours excluded from care if parents keep a sick child home, 48 hours excluded from care if a sick child is sent home.

But I could be wrong!
This is how I do it now. If a parent keeps their child home, 24 hour symptom free before returning to care. If a child becomes ill while in care, 48 hour symptom free before returning to care.

Puts the onus on the parents to monitor their child.

This is how I explain it to parents: This policy allows me to monitor the rest of the group and sanitize before child comes back. I also explain that I implemented this this past winter as we had a lot of back and forth. Since changing to 24/48 policy, it stopped. Of course it won't prevent a child from getting ill but it def. minimizes the back and forth.
Cat Herder 04:26 AM 05-12-2016
It is under the tag 24/48 below.

Headed Blackcat or Cat Herder.
Cat Herder 04:32 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It is under the tag 24/48 below.

Headed Blackcat or Cat Herder.
Also the thread called "home two days when sick"
jenboo 05:39 AM 05-12-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
This is how I do it now. If a parent keeps their child home, 24 hour symptom free before returning to care. If a child becomes ill while in care, 48 hour symptom free before returning to care.

Puts the onus on the parents to monitor their child.

This is how I explain it to parents: This policy allows me to monitor the rest of the group and sanitize before child comes back. I also explain that I implemented this this past winter as we had a lot of back and forth. Since changing to 24/48 policy, it stopped. Of course it won't prevent a child from getting ill but it def. minimizes the back and forth.
Thanks! This is what I was looking for. I wasnt sure how to explain it to parents to make it sound like it's a benefit to them.
Tags:24/48, 24/48 hours, exclusion, exclusion policy, exclusions, illness policy, illness policy - samples, infection control
Reply Up