Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Withdrawn Family Using My Driveway To Put Child On/Get Child Off Bus
Unregistered 02:24 PM 02-02-2017
I had a parent lose their job this week and withdrew her child from care until she finds a new job. She says that she will not have my required months fee for withdrawing until the end of the month but states that she wants to remain in good terms so her child can return. My concern is that she has been still coming to my house and sitting in my driveway to wait for the preschool bus for her daughter. I'm not too comfortable with it but I don't want to stir up negativity and ruin the relationship (and my chances of getting money owed). Would there be any regulation that I could bring up as to why it's not cool to still be doing this when her daughter is no longer in my care?
Josiegirl 02:50 PM 02-02-2017
Liability issues. What happens if one of them gets hurt on your property?
Fiddlesticks 02:59 PM 02-02-2017
Is there a reason she cannot have the preschool bus drop her child off at their home?
LysesKids 03:16 PM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I had a parent lose their job this week and withdrew her child from care until she finds a new job. She says that she will not have my required months fee for withdrawing until the end of the month but states that she wants to remain in good terms so her child can return. My concern is that she has been still coming to my house and sitting in my driveway to wait for the preschool bus for her daughter. I'm not too comfortable with it but I don't want to stir up negativity and ruin the relationship (and my chances of getting money owed). Would there be any regulation that I could bring up as to why it's not cool to still be doing this when her daughter is no longer in my care?
Liability issues... just explain that since she pulled kiddo that licensing regs prevent you from allowing non daycare kids/parents on property ( especially every day for a bus). If she refuses to stop using the driveway explain she is trespassing and that you need her gone... $$ or no $$ I will not allow a liability issue to affect my business.
Solandia 03:44 PM 02-02-2017
I would just ask her what was up and to please not use my driveway and to change the bus pick up & drop off.

I just found out that it takes about 2-3 days for my schools transportation dept to "approve" pick up/drop off changes. Including just the general bus stops It has never been like that in years past, so that was a surprise.
Lil_Diddle 03:45 PM 02-02-2017
Maybe the bus won't pick her up at their home or she wants to keep a routine for when she gets back to work. Have they been a good reliable family until now? If mom lost her job it's understandable she is worried about money and not have it all right now. Maybe you can work out some payment plan.
CityGarden 01:21 PM 02-03-2017
I know some bus routes will not let you change mid-year....
LysesKids 01:32 PM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I know some bus routes will not let you change mid-year....
What happens if a child moves to a different house in the same district? They seriously can't expect the parent to take the child back to the old stop can they?
MarinaVanessa 01:38 PM 02-03-2017
Just ask the parent to park on the street instead of on the driveway. She can be on public property, just not on your private property.
CityGarden 04:12 PM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
What happens if a child moves to a different house in the same district? They seriously can't expect the parent to take the child back to the old stop can they?
In my local school district either the parent takes them to the contracted spot or the do drop off and pick up at the school themselves.

My dd's summer camp (not related to the schools has the same policy) the address we register with in January is the address they assign our van pool to and no changes can be made after 90 days prior to camp.....
AmyKidsCo 06:29 PM 02-04-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Just ask the parent to park on the street instead of on the driveway. She can be on public property, just not on your private property.

I'd be worried about liability too. You're responsible if something happened on your property.
BlueChairBlessings 06:59 PM 02-04-2017
I used to work in insurance and that would make me terribly uneasy. I think most normal people would understand if you explained that the risk is just not something you're comfortable with. But I'm kinda rational, so...
Tags:liability
Reply Up