Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Question About Availability?
bridgetharvey22 10:21 AM 08-25-2017
I recently just started working at a daycare part time, 2:30-6:30 and I really do love it! It works so well with school and gives me time for my studies. In my interview, I told my employer that I would like to keep my schedule 20 hrs a week due to me taking 15 hrs worth of classes and I'm a senior in college, so my classes are becoming challenging. They offered me the 2:30 position and then they asked me about my availability again, in case they would need to call me in for a nap or something earlier then I am supposed to work. I told them (bc I wanted the job so bad!) that I am available when ever, kind of, because my classes are online. But I reiterated that 20 hours is the best for me with school. They have asked me to come in once to work all day, and that is fine because it's still summer, and so I could do it no problem. BUT, my classes start next week and there going to be time consuming, and I have to go to the school to take tests and things like that, so I am wondering, was I not truthful about my availability? I can of course come in early when I am not busy, but I know I can't always come in. Is this okay? Should I talk to my boss so they are not always depending on me?

Thanks guys!
storybookending 10:49 AM 08-25-2017
The next time you are asked I would just say "classes have started and I am really busy with schoolwork". Daycares see a lot of come and go with staffing, they are used to it.
itchyfeet 12:25 PM 08-25-2017
Yeah I don't think you were out of line I work one day a week from my home during the day, provide some pre and post school care on other days and have a full time university load through online classes. A couple of us provide relief for one another and when I can, I do. It's totally your call to say you can't, as long as your making the effort when you can.
Reply Up