Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing Childcare Hours In The Fall
Unregistered 08:21 PM 11-08-2012
What time is everyone's working hours?

Currently my hours are 8a-5:30p, but I think I will want to change my starting time in the fall to start at 8:45a. My daughter is in 1st grade this year (and thus a full day of school 8:30a-3p). Because my husband starts work at 6:30a and I open at 8am it has been somewhat of a stressor to figure out how she would be getting to school. I've worked out a walk share with our neighbors, so she walks every morning with them (no school buses where we live). This will be fine for this year, but I feel like its no one else's responsibility to take my child to school, plus I miss her and would love to take her to school, since my husband picks her up everyday in between getting off of job #1 and going to job #2.

Has anyone had the experience of changing their hours with current families? All of my families contracts cover the hours of 8am-5:30p, however, 90% of my kids don't even show up until after 8:30a on a regular basis.

What are some of your experiences as your own children got older with changing hours, days off, closing early occasionally for school functions?
Michael 12:29 AM 11-09-2012
Here are some earlier threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=schedule
cheerfuldom 12:40 AM 11-09-2012
if the families dont come till later then it shouldnt be a huge issue. how many kids are you watching? what i have done with my daughters transportation is to give an option to parents....

arrive by 725 and your child will be put in my vehicle and do the school run with my family. we roll out AT 730 and I will leave kids behind if necessary. if I am in the car already, it is too late to load up your kid and i wont stop at that point!

or they can wait till I get back and drop off at 810.

I had two kids that started showing up earlier to go on the school run, three that just dropped off later since they usually dropped off closer to 9 anyway.

what about taking kids with you when you walk to the school? if the parents drop off by a certain time, their kid goes on the school walk, otherwise they have to come after X time, when you return from the school walk.
Crystal 08:05 AM 11-09-2012
If current families do not arrive until that time, it should work for them....BUT, in the future you may have a hard time finding families to fill vacancies due to the hours not working for the typical 8-5 schedule. If that's a risk you are willing to take, go for it!
Brooksie 08:09 AM 11-09-2012
I do 7:30-5:30. That still gives people time to get in, drop off, and get to work; and I still get to keep my daughters morning and night time routine, which I think is important with all this change happening.
e.j. 01:45 PM 11-09-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Has anyone had the experience of changing their hours with current families? All of my families contracts cover the hours of 8am-5:30p, however, 90% of my kids don't even show up until after 8:30a on a regular basis.

What are some of your experiences as your own children got older with changing hours, days off, closing early occasionally for school functions?
I did change my hours when my kids started school. I worked from 9-4 and had no trouble with current families since their hours meshed with my changed hours. I thought I'd have trouble filling my spots but never did. I took in a lot of part-timers, though, and was very lucky that I was able to get families who either needed the openings I had available or were flexible enough that they could work within my hours.
Tags:changing hours, schedule
Reply Up