Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Best Place to Advertise Open Spots?
MyKzooFamily 08:53 PM 11-11-2012
Where you have you had the most luck advertising open spots? I am going to be up and running in 2 short weeks, and need to start advertising! I am planning on posting to Craigslist with pictures, the local newspaper, but not sure where else.
PolkaTots 08:53 AM 11-12-2012
I get the most responses from Craigslist, just make sure you have a happy detailed with photos. It's always my go to when I need to fill an opening, and it's free. Had a spot to fill last month, and received about a dozen emails and held 4 interviews. Just make sure the responses and people are legitimate. I always stalk them out on FB or speak to them on the phone before conducting an interview. When I first opened, I did put an ad in the paper, and between that and CL, I was full by my start date.
Future FCC Provider in CA 09:57 AM 11-12-2012
Posters and business card can be very help too. You can put poster up by (some places you may need permision) elementry/middle/high schools (afterschool care and for younger siblings and teachers/staff), or by parks, family/grocery stores and malls,you local resources and referal agencies/substadized offices (such as Go Kids, CARES, or First 5 {these are California agencies}), or anywhere that has a bullitin boards (coffee shops, laundry mats, burger shops, nail/hair salons, community colleges, churches) or even see about getting your business mentioned on a local radio station.

Around Halloween (if you celibrate) when you pass out candy you can pass out business cards too. You can also go to your local farmers market and rent a booth (you can also split a booth with other local providers who can trade shifts every other week) to get your face out more in the public. But word of mouth is the BEST advertisement- people telling about their POSITIVE personal experiences and It's FREE!- this can also work against you, but unless you break rules/safety codes or make a lot of people P.O.'d you should be fine.

Just remember whereever you advertise, if its in print, you have to provide your license number (at least in this state) but NOT your adress (for the safety of you and the children in your care)- just leave a phone # or e-mail and schedual an initial appointment after hours- That way if your starting out the parents will focus more on you and the environment you provider other than how many kids you have, and later if you do have kids in your program its for their safety. You can always do a part 2 interveiw during hours (if they want) after you see if you are interested in them enrolling in your program (remember they aren't just interviewing you to watch their child - your interviewing them to see if you can trust them to be respectful clients).

If you haven't already (and if available) maybe look into taking a class on family child care administration (at my school it was only 3 days {1 friday night & 2 sat morning/afternoons} and only 1 credit)- it can teach you about child care laws/regs, advertising, record keeping (including ways to reduce your taxes) and contracts/policies. In one class we used 2 redleaf press books (cost less than $20 each at my schools store) made specificaly for family child care providers: "Record keeping" and "contracts and policies"
DaisyMamma 11:23 AM 11-12-2012
Craigslist and word of mouth.
williams2008 11:44 AM 11-12-2012
Word of mouth, I also handed out business cards, posted flyers, advertised on my local radio station. Out of all the things I did, word of mouth is what worked for me and is still working for me even though I have to turn them down because I am full!!!
Rubysmom 11:54 AM 11-12-2012
Word of mouth. Sometimes Craigslist, but I give full details about ages, FT or PT and what I charge to get only people I am interested in meeting with. No sense getting lots of responses from people only to find out they won't fit in my program.
Auntie'sHouse 12:58 PM 11-12-2012
I went on vistaprint.com and bought a yard sign. I added the word affordable on it. I put colorful windmills around it. Everyone who passes sees it. for $15 it paid off.
Tags:advertising
Reply Up