Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help Terming One Sibling
TwinMama 11:54 AM 08-01-2019
Here's the scenario. I have one little boy who is going to be 6 in March his brother is one. I was told by Mom that after this Summer he wouldn't be here. Dad was not on board, and furious that Mom and I arranged this. Dad works until 1:30 and doesn't pick up boys until 4:45-5. Which is the latest he possibly can, because I close. (Same Dad told me if I had daycare on weekends they would bring them)

So little boy will continue to come here after school with another daycare girl. I told parents I would take him after school if they couldn't find an alternative since there was an error in communication. I've had this family for 4 1/2 years. They acted like I was booting their kid. Even Mom who had spoken with me about it.

Anyhow....I need to figure out when and how to communicate that they need to find different care for older boy by next Summer, but the one year old can stay here.

I have a new baby being born with one of my families in January.

I can't say that I don't take school agers anymore, because I made an arrangement with one of my families that have a daughter with social issues. She'll probably be coming here for a few more years. She's not old enough to stay home yet, and doesn't have the ability to stay home even if she was.

This little boy that I'm trying to send somewhere else is kind of my problem child. He picks at the other kids and on days that he's not here everyone plays wonderful. Then he shows up and makes them crazy. Dad can absolutely take him after school...he just doesn't want to. They also wouldn't have care for him in the Summer.

Any suggestions on communication?
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 08-01-2019
Other than the one DCG that can't stay home by herself will you have other school aged kids?
Does that DCG have siblings in care?

I would just tell the family you wont be able to take him next summer due to no space available for him. Tell the family the DCG (above) has priority for reasons you are not able to disclose and that you can keep the younger sibling but not the older child.

I take kids I've had in care before in the summer months IF they have a sibling in care but I refuse to take them after school because those kids arriving after school are just too disruptive for the others so if I have room I take them on no school days and during the summer but only if I really like the kid and if I have the space to do so.

No matter who they are though I am D.O.N.E. when they enter 1st grade...that age just plain old sucks when mixed in with younger kids.
TwinMama 01:23 PM 08-01-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Other than the one DCG that can't stay home by herself will you have other school aged kids?
Does that DCG have siblings in care?

I would just tell the family you wont be able to take him next summer due to no space available for him. Tell the family the DCG (above) has priority for reasons you are not able to disclose and that you can keep the younger sibling but not the older child.

I take kids I've had in care before in the summer months IF they have a sibling in care but I refuse to take them after school because those kids arriving after school are just too disruptive for the others so if I have room I take them on no school days and during the summer but only if I really like the kid and if I have the space to do so.

No matter who they are though I am D.O.N.E. when they enter 1st grade...that age just plain old sucks when mixed in with younger kids.
Yes. DCG does have a sibling. She's the only other school age kid.
Blackcat31 01:28 PM 08-01-2019
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
Yes. DCG does have a sibling. She's the only other school age kid.
Oh go that route then...... tell them you aren't taking schoolers and if they ask why her, just say you can't discuss why but she will be staying on.
Tags:siblings - not a good fit, terminate - sibling
Reply Up