Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question for Ontario Providers - New Regulations
Unregistered 08:08 AM 08-27-2019
Oops, So I missed this part of the new regulations. Anyone else trying to figure out some guidelines to this? I have a new client starting in a few weeks who wishes to hang out with us for the first week. Do I ask for a background check? She mentioned looking forward to first day pictures. I have some kids who are "No Photos." Do I say no cell phones out and I'll supply pictures?

The new regulations:

Unlicensed child care providers are also now required to:Allow the parent/guardian access to the premises and their child
(with specific exceptions)

No person providing child care at a premises, or operating the premises, shall prevent a parent from
entering the premises while child care is provided there for his or her child except,
(a) if the person believes on reasonable grounds that the parent does not have a legal right of access
to the child;
(b) if the person believes on reasonable grounds that the parent could be dangerous to the children at
the premises;
(c) if the parent is behaving in a disruptive manner; or
(d) in the circumstances prescribed by the regulations
Blackcat31 08:22 AM 08-27-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Oops, So I missed this part of the new regulations. Anyone else trying to figure out some guidelines to this? I have a new client starting in a few weeks who wishes to hang out with us for the first week. Do I ask for a background check? She mentioned looking forward to first day pictures. I have some kids who are "No Photos." Do I say no cell phones out and I'll supply pictures?

The new regulations:

Unlicensed child care providers are also now required to:Allow the parent/guardian access to the premises and their child
(with specific exceptions)

No person providing child care at a premises, or operating the premises, shall prevent a parent from
entering the premises while child care is provided there for his or her child except,
(a) if the person believes on reasonable grounds that the parent does not have a legal right of access
to the child;
(b) if the person believes on reasonable grounds that the parent could be dangerous to the children at
the premises;
(c) if the parent is behaving in a disruptive manner; or
(d) in the circumstances prescribed by the regulations
I am in the US but that rule above only says that parents have a right to access their child.
It doesn't say they can hang around for any amount of time.

Accessing their child. NOT other people's children.

Too many parents are interpreting that rule as to meaning they get to hang out when it just means they can access their child (drop off and pick up).

Observing other people's children isn't part of that rule.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Cat Herder 09:04 AM 08-27-2019
My official rule just came down that parents can only volunteer one every 90 days without a comprehensive background check.

Based on that, 5 days would definitely require one.

That said, there is no way I'd have enrolled this parent.
springv 09:28 AM 08-27-2019
We have to allow access to parents whose children are in care here as well and we jive to ID anyone who is on the children's pick up list.
Cat Herder 09:58 AM 08-27-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
We have to allow access to parents whose children are in care here as well and we jive to ID anyone who is on the children's pick up list.
I have the same rule. It means coming in to inspect the playroom and premises. They also must be allowed a quick headcount, now. My policy is that they cannot have access to or interact with other children and must take their child with them when they leave. Enter, look, count, sign-out, leave.

If we are concerned about their child's development/behavior, we schedule a time for them to watch the camera from the comfort of my living room or the playground discretely from the garden bench, then follow up in conference (after closing) what they witnessed. I set up activities that highlight the issue we are working on. It is a partnership. I also have volunteering opportunities, with scheduling and permission forms.

If unscheduled inspection drop-ins became a reoccurring thing, I'd probably let them go. Mistrust or suspicion is the only other reason I can see for feeling entitled to interrupt an entire classroom and another adults workday. That would sour a working relationship.
Annalee 10:02 AM 08-27-2019
We now have to post our state ratio licensing info now. Not sure if the parents even notice it or count the kids in care, but this is a new thing here as well. I printed it straight from the licensing site and put it by the sign-in sheet.
springv 10:23 AM 08-27-2019
We have our license posted on the board in another building that lists how many we are licensed for and when it expires
Unregistered 04:13 AM 08-28-2019
Thank you for all of the replies.
Tags:visitors, visitors during workday
Reply Up