Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Continue With Your Program
sahm2three 08:40 AM 11-17-2011
when everyone is super crabby and combative?! I have attempted circle time this week each day, and each day had to quit because most of the kids are just far too crabby to participate. Ugh. I want to feel like I am teaching them something, but it's hard to teach someone who is so miserable!
melskids 08:42 AM 11-17-2011
We don't. LOL

We free play, curl up on the couch with a movie, or spend more time outside working out our frustrations.
Cat Herder 08:44 AM 11-17-2011
I think it is a November thing....

I wondered why my Funshine Curriculum kit picked "Bedtime" "Pillows" "Lullabyes" and "Counting Sheep" for this months theme.....

NOW I get it.

Smart cookies, they are.....
mismatchedsocks 09:08 AM 11-17-2011
Free play, movie time, outside time, or quiet time if they are acting up while you are trying to teach something. No need to continue to struggle to get them to learn, chances are they arent listening anyway.

I would do the circle time with the ones who want to, and the others can sit in seperate parts of the room reading/puzzles until you are done, unless ALL of them are acting up!
Ariana 09:10 AM 11-17-2011
How about just doing a "fun" circle instead of a learning circle? Bring out puppets and do poems and silly songs etc. Get the kid who acts out the most to hold a book or participate somehow so his attention is focused? Get everyone involved in it so they're focused....just some ideas!
Heidi 09:11 AM 11-17-2011
If you really want to get it in, are they receptive at meals or snacks? Sometimes during that time, you have a receptive, captive audience....
sahm2three 09:12 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
Free play, movie time, outside time, or quiet time if they are acting up while you are trying to teach something. No need to continue to struggle to get them to learn, chances are they arent listening anyway.

I would do the circle time with the ones who want to, and the others can sit in seperate parts of the room reading/puzzles until you are done, unless ALL of them are acting up!
Monkey see, monkey do in my group. Once one starts, I have lost them. A couple of them, even though they were acting up too, do get upset when I put things away. It has been quite a week. They all usually love circle time. I always make sure to switch up songs and stuff so it doesn't becoming boring. KIDS.
mommiesherie 09:28 AM 11-17-2011
What time are you trying to do circle time? I do it in morning. You may have to tweak your time. Morning or maybe after your morning snack if you do one? Do it when they are not sleepy or hungry. All the classes I have taken say do not force a child to sit at circle time. I do expect my kids to sit and sit quietly with their hands to themselves. When they turn 2 they can certainly do that and some before that age. My crew loves circle time! I make it fun and interesting and I always teach them something new there. Good luck!!
mommiesherie 09:34 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by mommiesherie:
What time are you trying to do circle time? I do it in morning. You may have to tweak your time. Morning or maybe after your morning snack if you do one? Do it when they are not sleepy or hungry. All the classes I have taken say do not force a child to sit at circle time. I do expect my kids to sit and sit quietly with their hands to themselves. When they turn 2 they can certainly do that and some before that age. My crew loves circle time! I make it fun and interesting and I always teach them something new there. Good luck!!

I just read my post and I sound mean lol. What I meant was we sit in our spot and do not poke at ur neighbor when reading a book or something. When we do music or something then we have fun but do still stay on our spot so we don't bump each other. Today we read a book about shells and then played with some shells on the carpet. We don't do a lot of sit down be quiet stuff but when we do I expect our bottoms on the carpet and our mouths quiet so all can hear
sharlan 09:39 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Monkey see, monkey do in my group. Once one starts, I have lost them. A couple of them, even though they were acting up too, do get upset when I put things away. It has been quite a week. They all usually love circle time. I always make sure to switch up songs and stuff so it doesn't becoming boring. KIDS.
Monkey see, monkey do, monkey get in trouble, too! That's my boys.

Take a break for a few days. Maybe do circle time with the ones who want to and let the others free play.
dave4him 09:41 AM 11-17-2011
Sometimes unwinding and having fun time can be a lesson in how to get rid of stress... even little kids get stressed
laundrymom 10:28 AM 11-17-2011
We gave up circle time 20 years ago. We do calendar and weather at lunch and sprinkle the aspects of circle time throughout the day. Never in a circle, but always with a smile.
Solandia 10:49 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
when everyone is super crabby and combative?! I have attempted circle time this week each day, and each day had to quit because most of the kids are just far too crabby to participate. Ugh. I want to feel like I am teaching them something, but it's hard to teach someone who is so miserable!
I haven't done circle time in years & years....like it only lasted a few weeks when I had kids all 2.5-5yo briefly. LOL

We do our learning moments as they happen. Today we practiced putting on our gloves, hats and boots without help. It was really only because I just got the bin of winter stuff down from the attic and the kids decided to go through it all "to get ready for winter". So then we talked about what kind of things are unique to winter (snow, ice, sledding, snowpants). Things you don't really want in winter (rain, ice cream, swimming in the lake). How to get ready for the winter (clean up the garden, get the baby pool out of the backyard, wash windows). The kids then went "sledding" in the bin that used to have all the winter stuff in it. One kid started singing Away in the Manger with some of the words mixed up, I jsut couldnt bring myself to correct him. (...The little Lord Jesus lay down his big head...")

Right before snack we did some coloring and talked about day/month/year, and then one girl told me that sometime her mom doesn't like her. "Really?", I say. "Yeah, especially when I get into her stuff"...So then we had a talk about you can still like/love someone even though a person is angry. Everyone gets angry, but you still care about that person. Just like Jesus loves us when we are not having a good day, so do our parents.

That was just in the first half of the morning. I'm ready for a nap!
laundrymom 10:53 AM 11-17-2011
Oh Michael,.... Can we get a LOVE THIS smiley??????

Originally Posted by Solandia:
I haven't done circle time in years & years....like it only lasted a few weeks when I had kids all 2.5-5yo briefly. LOL

We do our learning moments as they happen. Today we practiced putting on our gloves, hats and boots without help. It was really only because I just got the bin of winter stuff down from the attic and the kids decided to go through it all "to get ready for winter". So then we talked about what kind of things are unique to winter (snow, ice, sledding, snowpants). Things you don't really want in winter (rain, ice cream, swimming in the lake). How to get ready for the winter (clean up the garden, get the baby pool out of the backyard, wash windows). The kids then went "sledding" in the bin that used to have all the winter stuff in it. One kid started singing Away in the Manger with some of the words mixed up, I jsut couldnt bring myself to correct him. (...The little Lord Jesus lay down his big head...")

Right before snack we did some coloring and talked about day/month/year, and then one girl told me that sometime her mom doesn't like her. "Really?", I say. "Yeah, especially when I get into her stuff"...So then we had a talk about you can still like/love someone even though a person is angry. Everyone gets angry, but you still care about that person. Just like Jesus loves us when we are not having a good day, so do our parents.

That was just in the first half of the morning. I'm ready for a nap!

daycare 10:57 AM 11-17-2011
I have set up two options..

1. circle time
2. color/writing... you know the not so fun drawing sheets.

These are their choices.

Normally I will have 3 that want to color and 2 that want circle time. Then as soon as circle time starts, they all run to the carpet to join in. If they start to cause problems in circle time, I will make them go back to the color table.

If its more than two kids that are resisting, then I throw in the towel and we go to the park....lol
WImom 11:13 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:

1. circle time

These are their choices.

Normally I will have 3 that want to color and 2 that want circle time. Then as soon as circle time starts, they all run to the carpet to join in. If they start to cause problems in circle time, I will make them go back to the color table.

If its more than two kids that are resisting, then I throw in the towel and we go to the park....lol
I do the same but it's my book area instead of coloring. I like the coloring idea though.
Michael 11:18 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Oh Michael,.... Can we get a LOVE THIS smiley??????

Ok I created a "Like This" icon

And a "Love This" icon
daycare 11:23 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
I do the same but it's my book area instead of coloring. I like the coloring idea though.
I used to do the book area, until one of the boys decided it would be fun to rip the pages out..... Tried the board book just to see them getting destroyed too.

Now they break crayons...lol, but thats all they get. its their private crayon stash/pencil box and if they break their own things, they wont get new ones..

I don't have any more crayon breakers right now...I think they are all already broken...lol
hoopinglady 11:24 AM 11-17-2011
My kiddos, for the most part look forward to circle time.

We don't do calendar or anything, just songs, games and stories...and chatting.

If they are really engaged in playing I'll often skip it....or hold off until a different time of day.

Recently it's been after clean up and before lunch.

Plenty of times, they ask, "when is circle time" when I didn't feel like doing it, lol...so I gotta drag my lazy, combative self to the rug...but end up having fun.

I let the babies roam if the want to but typically they sit with us at least part of it, they love the fingerplays.
Sugar Magnolia 11:32 AM 11-17-2011
I had some crabbys at circle time yesterday. So, all the sudden, the words to Wheels on the Bus got all messed up. Horn on the bus goes swish swish swish, babies on the bus go beep beep beep, wipers on the bus go round and round.... That got their attention! NO THATS WRONG they're shouting and laughing. So then we had to do itsy bitsy spider all wrong. Tension breaker! Funny!!! Sometimes I sit a Little on my lap and use my baby voice to have the Little "lead" circle time. This is always a hoot. When I get crabby kids, all the sudden I get super over-the-top goofy, works EVERY time.
SimpleMom 11:33 AM 11-17-2011
It's tough to do exact routine of the program at all times. I don't. I follow the kids' lead. I keep the basic routine the same (drop off, free play, breakfast, bathrooms/diapers, etc.), but the pre-k/curr/circle time??? Just depends on who is here and what their moods are. A lot of times I just sit on the floor and play with them. We come up with ideas based on what they are playing and sometimes extend that into something more. Sometimes, we just read or cuddle, and sometimes we just laugh. Seems to lighten up the moods a bit
SimpleMom 11:36 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:

1. circle time

These are their choices.

I've done this in the past as well. I should go back to it! It really works
momofsix 11:40 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:

And a "Love This" icon

Thanks Michael!
sahm2three 11:49 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by mommiesherie:
8:30 to 8:45. I have to keep it short and sweet or I lose them.
laundrymom 11:54 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:

Thanks Michael!
Lol. You rock!!!! Now, if I could make it 4 inches tall blinking with sparkles! Lololol
Country Kids 01:55 PM 11-17-2011
We get tons of energy out before we start! This is the first group that doesn't get circle time first thing in the morning like all my others did, looking back I sooooo wish I had always done this schedule.

8:30-9:30=outdoor play and a long walk
9:30-10:00=Bathroom break, snacktime
10:00-12:00=Preschool time

We start with a story, then we color, then sing some songs. After that its calendar, weather and number of the day! Then we go into what we are learning and do crafts and such. They are loving it this way! Also, we are not rushed to get anything done, we have two straight hours to do our thing! Next and relaxing.
SilverSabre25 04:27 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:

And a "Love This" icon

THANK YOU!!!!!
Tags:bad day, chaotic time, combative, uncooperative
Reply Up