Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Being a Kid...
coolconfidentme 04:06 AM 07-31-2013
DCM: Can you keep XXX out of the grass today? I think he is getting a few bug bites & dirty.

ME: You want XXX to stay on the deck while he watches all his friends play on the swings, slides & playhouse?

DCM: I don't want him to get bug bites & dirty.

ME: Did you here that XXX? When you get upset your friends are having fun & you aren't..., it was your mom's idea.

DCM: Nevermind.
MsLaura529 04:33 AM 07-31-2013
Was this an actual conversation?!?? I LOVE it!
Unregistered 05:31 AM 07-31-2013
My handbook addresses this-it explains to these OCD moms that kids LOVE to get dirty, and reminds them that white clothes will NOT come home white, and to send kids in clothes that they can get dirty in. Getting dirty is the best part of being a kid. Bug bites? I use bug spray on the kids and treat my yard every 3 weeks-there are very few bites.
coolconfidentme 06:27 AM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
Was this an actual conversation?!?? I LOVE it!
YES..., can you believe that? LOL. It's in my handbook about getting dirty & bug bites. She is one who opted that I not put repellant on her child. Parents crack me up!!!
daycare 07:32 AM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
YES..., can you believe that? LOL. It's in my handbook about getting dirty & bug bites. She is one who opted that I not put repellant on her child. Parents crack me up!!!
cant she put some natural alternative for to prevent the bug bites??

Wow.....if a parent ever told me that, I would have just said would you like me to call you to come pick him up when it's outside play time, I am sure he would love that......

No wonder kids are always getting sick these days or are so over weight. Sorry, just ranting.......
MsLaura529 07:37 AM 07-31-2013
OR, this is when you send her a picture during the day of the nice big dirt bin you bought for the kids who have to stay on the deck
crazydaycarelady 08:02 AM 07-31-2013
This reminds me of the dcd I had who was mad that his 1st grader got a grass stain on the knee of his Ralph Lauren jeans.

Sometimes you just want to give these parents a high five - with a frying pan.
BumbleBee 09:16 AM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Ahahahahahahahhahahahahaha. Love it!
coolconfidentme 10:53 AM 07-31-2013

sometimes you just want to give these parents a high five - with a frying pan.
bahahahaha!!!!
NeedaVaca 12:02 PM 07-31-2013

melilley 12:13 PM 07-31-2013
Ugh...one of my friend's brother has a 4 year old and won't let her play outside because he doesn't want her to get dirty. What a dumba**! Poor kid!
Blackcat31 12:18 PM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Ugh...one of my friend's brother has a 4 year old and won't let her play outside because he doesn't want her to get dirty. What a dumba**! Poor kid!
My neighbor....(a friend of mine I knew from high school) had her DH build a deck on the back of their house big enough for a smaller swing set and a few ride on toys. She then had artificial grass laid down on the entire deck and put the swingset ON the deck as well.

Her children (now ages 9 and 11) were NEVER allowed to play off the deck. They were only allowed to play on the deck....when I asked her what her malfunction was, she said she just thinks out doors is so dirty.... Um, we live in NORTHERN MINNESOTA! The great outdoors...

I've also had my fair share of parents who labled themselves as "not really outdoor people" and so neither were their children....and I had to train them to like it outside. Thankfully, those kids turned out to LOVE to outdoors!

I couldn't imagine being a kid and not playing out side or being allowed to get dirty.
JoseyJo 12:24 PM 07-31-2013
This reminds me of the dcd I had who was mad that his 1st grader got a grass stain on the knee of his Ralph Lauren jeans.

We have one like that- the first year he was here 18 mo-2.5 he wore $100 jeans and $50 shirts every day. About 1/2 the time they went home dirty/stained. Somewhere along the time mom and dad must have realized that their comments to dcb in my hearing about how dirty he was weren't working (as I always responded with how much fun we had getting that dirty!) and they started sending him in play clothes
BumbleBee 12:45 PM 07-31-2013
I have the 2 extremes right now. 1 parent has her kid wear long sleeves, long pants, socks, shoes, magic gloves, and a very wide brimmed hat every day so his skin doesn't come in contact the dirt. Other parent has the kid who is cleaner after we play in the sprinkler then when he arrived at dc.
Starburst 02:04 PM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
cant she put some natural alternative for to prevent the bug bites??

Wow.....if a parent ever told me that, I would have just said would you like me to call you to come pick him up when it's outside play time, I am sure he would love that......

No wonder kids are always getting sick these days or are so over weight. Sorry, just ranting.......

We actually read a newspaper article in one of my classes that said children now don't take enough healthy risks. Even when they do play outside the playground equipment at most parks are too safe and not challenging (or "risky") enough. That is the reason their is an increase in obesity, physical illness, and depression in children. That, plus the vitamin D you get from playing outside in the sun.
melilley 02:12 PM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
I have the 2 extremes right now. 1 parent has her kid wear long sleeves, long pants, socks, shoes, magic gloves, and a very wide brimmed hat every day so his skin doesn't come in contact the dirt. Other parent has the kid who is cleaner after we play in the sprinkler then when he arrived at dc.
What?! He is going to have a heat stroke! How weird! Maybe he is allergic to dirt...lol
coolconfidentme 02:46 PM 07-31-2013
I had a DCM notice out loud that her 11 month old had dirty knees from crawling on the hardwood floors. I replied, "I tried & tried, but I just can't train the parents to wipe their feet before they come in so I just gave up."
Meyou 03:03 AM 08-01-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:

We actually read a newspaper article in one of my classes that said children now don't take enough healthy risks. Even when they do play outside the playground equipment at most parks are too safe and not challenging (or "risky") enough. That is the reason their is an increase in obesity, physical illness, and depression in children. That, plus the vitamin D you get from playing outside in the sun.
You don't happen to have a link, do you? I'd love to read that article.

My parents are all quite good right now but I practically beat the need for playclothes into them at the interview level and I say in my ad, "If your child doesn't like the outside then they probably won't be happy here."
Josiegirl 03:55 AM 08-01-2013
I feel so bad for those kids who aren't allowed to be kids. Parents pushing their own phobias onto them. They're missing out on so much! My favorite memories of childhood were digging holes and playing with sticks, bugs, mud.

Oh yeh, my handbook covers that too. I stress to them playclothes are needed here!

I do remember a long time ago I had a little girl who wasn't allowed to play in the leaf piles. The mom said she was allergic. I have no idea if she really was or not but considering how weird this mom was, I highly doubt it. She switched to a different daycare because I had mostly boys here and she wanted her dd to stop playing with cars/trucks so much, wanted her to play with girls' toys more. So when her dd and the dcprovider's dd fought all the time, she asked to come back. Sorry lady, spot's filled. Darn.
hoopinglady 05:40 AM 08-01-2013
sitting on the deck watching the others play would not be an option. I would suggest that maybe they need to look for other care because our outside time is a key component to the program. It's one of our main values. It isn't fair or reasonable to exclude anyone.

In my old childcare, at an apartment, the mama decided one day, she didn't want her son running/pushing trucks, etc down the big hill outside the apartment door. It was our playground (and it was big fun). But, I agreed, back then,...I will keep him off the hill.

DCB ran onto the hill to play with the others without thinking one morning as mama and I were chatting, she busted his butt right then and there in front of all of the daycare kids (and neighbors).

Never again.
Angelsj 06:37 AM 08-01-2013

I had one have a meltdown over this too. How many times do you yell at your 6 year old in a given day because you want to show off that you can afford $80 jeans for a kid? What do you think that does to your kid emotionally?
I told her to leave the yard before she started yelling at her child for something so dumb as getting dirty. Good grief.
Reply Up