Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Guessing I was Dumped by DCP's?
Missqjulie 09:28 AM 06-29-2015
I have DCP's who signed a contract for 3 days a week but find excuses as to why their kid can not make it often. They have been here for going on 2 months and the entire time it has been a week off for vacation, moms sister having a baby so gone for that week, kid was sick so off for that week, and this past Friday she wanted to keep him home for a shot he received at his well-check. I did tell her that he is gone more times than not and that she was paying for a spot in addition to childcare services. I currently don't make anyone pay for missed days. Also that I usually shop for food for the week and that she needs to notify me a week in advance like noted in our contract. I told her that I couldn't refund her for Friday and hadn't gotten a chance to tell her I would credit her for today. This morning she no called and no showed and hasn't replied to my text. What the heck? Running a daycare is harder than I thought. What is going on? Should I just block her number?
AmyKidsCo 09:31 AM 06-29-2015
Are you charging whether the child shows up or not? IMO if you charge for the 3 days, even if the child doesn't attend, they'll get better about bringing her regularly. And if not, who cares? You'll get paid anyway.
Missqjulie 09:34 AM 06-29-2015
No I'm not charging and I think that's why she skips weeks and days. And she also wants me to keep it small but never shows.
LysesKids 09:39 AM 06-29-2015
Originally Posted by Missqjulie:
I have DCP's who signed a contract for 3 days a week but find excuses as to why their kid can not make it often. They have been here for going on 2 months and the entire time it has been a week off for vacation, moms sister having a baby so gone for that week, kid was sick so off for that week, and this past Friday she wanted to keep him home for a shot he received at his well-check. I did tell her that he is gone more times than not and that she was paying for a spot in addition to childcare services. I currently don't make anyone pay for missed days. Also that I usually shop for food for the week and that she needs to notify me a week in advance like noted in our contract. I told her that I couldn't refund her for Friday and hadn't gotten a chance to tell her I would credit her for today. This morning she no called and no showed and hasn't replied to my text. What the heck? Running a daycare is harder than I thought. What is going on? Should I just block her number?
You will learn it doesn't pay to be nice by letting them only pay you when they come; I have a minimum 3 days week pay regardless if they show or not. I can only take 4 babies, so if all are gone one day where would that leave me? broke & unable to pay bills... the contract should specify that days reserved are paid for regardless of attendance otherwise you won't last long unless you get a lot of calls for last minute drop ins (which is what this family is essentially doing)
Controlled Chaos 09:40 AM 06-29-2015
I would look for a replacement family and start charging for the spot regardless of attendance. I didn't used to either, but it will drive you crazy and you will never have a steady income. It is the industry standard to charge for the spot not just days they use it. I would also make current families switch. Type up a one page "Starting in August, tuition will be based on days reserved/contracted for regardless of actual attendance."
LysesKids 09:44 AM 06-29-2015
No I'm not charging and I think that's why she skips weeks and days. And she also wants me to keep it small but never shows.
You are running a business... follow state law and take as many kids as is legal; it's not up to her what your policies are or how you do things and you will never please everyone, so you step up & do what's best for you & your family. My income is the only one here, so I can't afford to have open spaces
Missqjulie 09:52 AM 06-29-2015
I feel so foolish. One mom who said she would go full time in less than a week when she first started (so I gave her a discount), is now saying she isn't planning to go full time till the end of summer. I'm typing up a notice today and I have already updated my new contracts for partial payment when they don't show up. I should just redo them to full pay for missed days.
Blackcat31 09:55 AM 06-29-2015
Rates are based on enrollment not on attendance. or days used.

Doing it any other way will ALWAYS leave you short changed.

...and "she" wants to keep it small?
It's YOUR business not hers. YOU call the shots not her.
Desi 09:59 AM 06-29-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I AGREE!!!! Take back your business!!
Missqjulie 10:10 AM 06-29-2015

Well I can only have 4 kids here in addition to mine, so yea I have no clue why I wasn't honoring my own contracts. I have made a notice for July 1st, I will start billing based on contracts and not days attended.
Missqjulie 10:12 AM 06-29-2015
Originally Posted by Desi:
I AGREE!!!! Take back your business!!
Since she is no call no show this morning and hasn't bothered to return the text, should I just block her number? I'm a softy and just want to have no contact then.
mommiebookworm 10:15 AM 06-29-2015

Blackcat31 10:17 AM 06-29-2015
Since she is no call no show this morning and hasn't bothered to return the text, should I just block her number? I'm a softy and just want to have no contact then.
You could but really what you should do is email her and tell her that your contact for services is terminated effective immediately and that you will no longer be available for services after today.

Then if she continues to call, text or e-mail you can ignore or block her.

I think a final termination notice is best business practice rather than just verbally calling it done ...kwim?
Unregistered 10:18 AM 06-29-2015
I wouldn't block her number. If she calls or texts, just say she didn't show up for care, so you terminated services with her family.
finsup 10:30 AM 06-29-2015
I can't tell you how many families I had do things like this before I switched to payment being due regardless of attendance. Somehow they always found a reason to keep them home, send them to a friend etc instead of here where they'd have to pay. It meant no reliable income and the kid being awful when they were here (pretty hard to adjust when your bounced around so much!) So yeah, never again As for blocking her number, nope, I would just refuse care if they call or show up. Just a simple "you were a no call/no show therefore, as per our contract care has been terminated."
Crazy8 10:36 AM 06-29-2015
agree with everyone else.

#1 - change your contract and start charging for the space based on their contracted days/hours. If you are only allowed 4 children this is your reasoning - you have 4 spaces available you need to be sure they are being utilized (and paid for!!!).
If at all possible I would require payment in advance (I have heard some say this doesn't work in their area but if its the norm in your area absolutely do it!!).

#2 - I would not block the dcp's number - I would email or text (however you usually communicate) and say that since they do not seem to need care you will be terminating your agreement with them and wish them well. Keep it short and professional. If parent questions it just explain that you have 4 spots in your daycare and you need to fill them with clients who will be using them!
Rockgirl 10:37 AM 06-29-2015
I wouldn't block her number, but I'd definitely fill the spot! If she shows up with her child, or asks about coming, you can tell her, "Sorry, didn't hear from you....the spot has been filled."
Missqjulie 10:58 AM 06-29-2015
You could but really what you should do is email her and tell her that your contact for services is terminated effective immediately and that you will no longer be available for services after today.

Then if she continues to call, text or e-mail you can ignore or block her.

I think a final termination notice is best business practice rather than just verbally calling it done ...kwim?

OKAY SORRY I forgot that she told me last Wednesday that she would be dropping her child off Tuesday or tomorrow because they went camping this weekend and wouldn't be back till then!!! She just text now to remind me I completely forgot. I have still made notices and will be handing them out when everyone pays again!!
Missqjulie 11:06 AM 06-29-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
agree with everyone else.

#1 - change your contract and start charging for the space based on their contracted days/hours. If you are only allowed 4 children this is your reasoning - you have 4 spaces available you need to be sure they are being utilized (and paid for!!!).
If at all possible I would require payment in advance (I have heard some say this doesn't work in their area but if its the norm in your area absolutely do it!!).

#2 - I would not block the dcp's number - I would email or text (however you usually communicate) and say that since they do not seem to need care you will be terminating your agreement with them and wish them well. Keep it short and professional. If parent questions it just explain that you have 4 spots in your daycare and you need to fill them with clients who will be using them!

Missqjulie 11:10 AM 06-29-2015
Thank you everyone! I have made notices and will be passing them out when everyone pays again for the following week! I forgot that this mom told me they were going camping last week and was reminded by her, so she did return my text after all. I will be handing her a notice for payment regardless of attendance and if she self terms then so be it. Thank you
Blackcat31 11:25 AM 06-29-2015
I will be handing her a notice for payment regardless of attendance and if she self terms then so be it. Thank you
Cool! Sounds like a good plan!

It's tough to work with a family that isn't really "working" with you.
Missqjulie 11:33 AM 06-29-2015
Very true!
Thriftylady 11:42 AM 06-29-2015
I agree as far as charging for enrollment not attendance. That is what I do as well. It seems unfair, but it isn't because it isn't like we can just take another child in case that child doesn't show up, then we would be over ratio. I have one family right now I am working with who will start next week. BUT I am doing it because they only need me for up to two months AND I have no other kids right now, so I am hoping for the word of mouth. But I wouldn't do it on long term basis.
daycare 12:37 PM 06-29-2015
sounds good that you are going to transition to flat rate care.

years ago when I did both flat rate and drop in, I did it this way.

flat rate for 3 days was 145

if you paid drop in rate is was $65 a day with a max of 8 hours use

but now if I have the room I only allow drop in during the summer months.
Laurel 01:24 PM 06-29-2015
My part time was a 3 day minimum. You pay for 3 days always whether you use 3, 2, 1 or none. Payment is Monday BEFORE care for that week or some do it the Friday before the week of care.

Laurel
tntsmom 01:33 PM 06-29-2015
You are holding a spot and my contract states you pay whether they are here or not, I have learned, that stops situations like this.
Missqjulie 03:22 PM 07-13-2015
Things ended up not working out with this dcp and I'm happy for it. She ended up stating she didn't want to pay for days she was not using (It's like exactly what days were you using?). The only reason I gave her a discount on my rates was because she stated that she needed three days a week and then drop off days in between. So initially she made it seem like she would need 3-6 days a week. So I gave her a discount… Not happening again. It's just really hard getting this daycare thing off the ground.

I have been advertising for a year now and lost two other clients because I thought I was going to go back to work. Now it's like i'm starting from scratch and can't find any good clients.

I screw up by discounting people who never do what they say they are going to do. My current dcb was supposed to go full time a month ago but dcm wants now to start full time in the fall. I never did say, well the only reason I gave you a discount is because you were going full time when we initially signed an agreement!

Sorry for the vent! Just need to develop some business skills or a backbone.
Thriftylady 03:27 PM 07-13-2015
Things ended up not working out with this dcp and I'm happy for it. She ended up stating she didn't want to pay for days she was not using (It's like exactly what days were you using?). The only reason I gave her a discount on my rates was because she stated that she needed three days a week and then drop off days in between. So initially she made it seem like she would need 3-6 days a week. So I gave her a discount… Not happening again. It's just really hard getting this daycare thing off the ground.

I have been advertising for a year now and lost two other clients because I thought I was going to go back to work. Now it's like i'm starting from scratch and can't find any good clients.

I screw up by discounting people who never do what they say they are going to do. My current dcb was supposed to go full time a month ago but dcm wants now to start full time in the fall. I never did say, well the only reason I gave you a discount is because you were going full time when we initially signed an agreement!

Sorry for the vent! Just need to develop some business skills or a backbone.
I started working on restarting my daycare a year ago! In Feb. I got two SA kids before and after school. Then later in the spring my infant (a year old at the time), who then left for cheaper care. Hubby told me she would be back and she is, but was a no call no show today. And I have a very part time boy who is temporary due to staying with his grandmother this summer. You and I can hang in there together!!!!
Missqjulie 03:34 PM 07-13-2015
Yes we can! I had someone last year leave me for cheaper care! And the person who she left for was charging $15/day and had over 20 kids in her apartment. So I said good bye to bad rubbish.
She never even thought to call and tell me she was terminating care, just simply didn't show up on Monday, then when I called to see if she was okay, she said "oh I don't want to pay your rate". Tootles!
Thriftylady 03:38 PM 07-13-2015
Yes we can! I had someone last year leave me for cheaper care! And the person who she left for was charging $15/day and had over 20 kids in her apartment. So I said good bye to bad rubbish.
She never even thought to call and tell me she was terminating care, just simply didn't show up on Monday, then when I called to see if she was okay, she said "oh I don't want to pay your rate". Tootles!
OH mine told me that she was leaving for a SAHM who charged $30 a week. DH told me "she will be back". And she is because that person kept not being home lol. I took her back, but I know she is flaky and will leave again. Not a biggie, I need the money, if she leaves again fine but I won't take her back again. She will have to either tell me she is leaving, or leave the diapers, wipes, etc that are in the cubby. I require a deposit and every child to have cubby supplies.
Missqjulie 04:19 PM 07-13-2015
Goodness $30/week is super low. I would never put my kid there, doesn't even sound legit!
Heidi 09:33 AM 07-14-2015
The way I charge is this:

3 days per week, $90
4 days per week $120
5 days per week, $140
Drop in is $5.00 per hour, and only if I have space available.

So, there is a slight discount for full time. I ask parents what hours of care they need on the phone, and then see what can be worked out if they are outside my hours. I usually try to feel them out and get them in the door to see my program before I negotiate too much. Sometimes, it's just a matter of them having the spouse or another relative pick up, and if they like me, they'll usually do that.

I ask for 1 or 2 weeks deposit (usually 2, especially for infant spots), and they pay on Monday mornings for the week. I've never had to institute the "no pay, no stay" routine because they're invested at that point.
Missqjulie 02:18 PM 08-03-2015
I switched to the weekly rates and had 4 calls last week for interest and signed one person overnights! Thanks for saying this weekly rate.
grateday 06:01 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I would look for a replacement family and start charging for the spot regardless of attendance. I didn't used to either, but it will drive you crazy and you will never have a steady income. It is the industry standard to charge for the spot not just days they use it. I would also make current families switch. Type up a one page "Starting in August, tuition will be based on days reserved/contracted for regardless of actual attendance."
What she said
Tags:fired, no show, parents - disrespect
Reply Up