Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Back to old rates for DCM
Missqjulie 12:25 PM 07-31-2015
I have a DCM that when she originally signed her daughter up with me for 3x/week but wanted to go full time within a week or two. Because of that I discounted my rate of $30/day to $25/day to give her a break for anticipated full-time rates. 3 months later she still hasn't gone full-time. When I asked she said that she may go full-time in the fall. Today I gave her a rate change notice back to the original rate.

So instead of $75/week she will be doing $90/week like everyone else. I'm writing because I'm nervous about how things will go. I'm considering the worst. Am I wrong for waiting 3 months to correct this discrepancy? Should I have even brought it up now? I just feel like she is really taking advantage.
Shell 12:27 PM 07-31-2015
better late than never!
Blackcat31 12:35 PM 07-31-2015
Originally Posted by Missqjulie:
I have a DCM that when she originally signed her daughter up with me for 3x/week but wanted to go full time within a week or two. Because of that I discounted my rate of $30/day to $25/day to give her a break for anticipated full-time rates. 3 months later she still hasn't gone full-time. When I asked she said that she may go full-time in the fall. Today I gave her a rate change notice back to the original rate.

So instead of $75/week she will be doing $90/week like everyone else. I'm writing because I'm nervous about how things will go. I'm considering the worst. Am I wrong for waiting 3 months to correct this discrepancy? Should I have even brought it up now? I just feel like she is really taking advantage.
Too late to change now but the discount should have been given with the understanding that she has x amount of time to go full time.

Since she didn't go full time as you had planned I think you are right to assume DCM will be upset. Still doesn't mean you are wrong for changing/updating the rate but I would expect some fall out from her.

Did you two discuss a time line for when she would go full time at all? If so, and she is dragging her feet, then she is taking advantage. If she has no idea you gave her a discount because you thought it would be only a few week before going full time but didn't really ask or talk about it, then she isn't taking advantage...as she has no idea why you did what you did (discounted the rate) ...kwim?

ETA... I see your original post says with the anticipation of going full time within a few weeks....was that what the mom said or what was implied?
Unregistered 12:36 PM 07-31-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
better late than never!
Totally agree with this!
Missqjulie 12:48 PM 07-31-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Too late to change now but the discount should have been given with the understanding that she has x amount of time to go full time.

Since she didn't go full time as you had planned I think you are right to assume DCM will be upset. Still doesn't mean you are wrong for changing/updating the rate but I would expect some fall out from her.

Did you two discuss a time line for when she would go full time at all? If so, and she is dragging her feet, then she is taking advantage. If she has no idea you gave her a discount because you thought it would be only a few week before going full time but didn't really ask or talk about it, then she isn't taking advantage...as she has no idea why you did what you did (discounted the rate) ...kwim?

ETA... I see your original post says with the anticipation of going full time within a few weeks....was that what the mom said or what was implied?
No we did not discuss a time it would change back, but yea I did tell her since she was going full-time in 1-2 weeks when she started, I could give her that rate. But then at 2 weeks when I reminded her about full-time she said maybe in the fall. I waited 3 months to say, yea well I'm going back to my original rate.
I do have in my contract that rates are subject to change, but I just want to have my rate I normally charge for everyone to be given to everyone equally… But nervous but if she does walk then so be it I guess, right?
Thriftylady 12:54 PM 07-31-2015
Well she is going to gripe about it since you have waited so long, but it is your business to run, she can't set your rates.
Blackcat31 01:33 PM 07-31-2015
Originally Posted by Missqjulie:
No we did not discuss a time it would change back, but yea I did tell her since she was going full-time in 1-2 weeks when she started, I could give her that rate. But then at 2 weeks when I reminded her about full-time she said maybe in the fall. I waited 3 months to say, yea well I'm going back to my original rate.
I do have in my contract that rates are subject to change, but I just want to have my rate I normally charge for everyone to be given to everyone equally… But nervous but if she does walk then so be it I guess, right?
Well, with the added info...that she was aware of the discount, I think you are well within your rights to implement the normal rate for this family.
e.j. 03:42 PM 07-31-2015
The agreement was that she would go full time in 2 weeks. She didn't hold up her end of the bargain but still got to pay the bargain price for 3 months. She should be grateful you gave her the break for as long as you have. It's not fair to your other families to give her a lower rate than they are paying. If she gripes, I would remind her that you have given her a break for the past 3 months. Once she actually does go full time, the rate can be adjusted once again.
Missqjulie 05:44 PM 07-31-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
The agreement was that she would go full time in 2 weeks. She didn't hold up her end of the bargain but still got to pay the bargain price for 3 months. She should be grateful you gave her the break for as long as you have. It's not fair to your other families to give her a lower rate than they are paying. If she gripes, I would remind her that you have given her a break for the past 3 months. Once she actually does go full time, the rate can be adjusted once again.
I did remind her and she said her husband said no. It's just an extra $15 a week, but thats it. I'm making a stand for my own rights, they can go. I wish them well. Really I do. I will keep doing what i'm doing. This time I'm not compromising my rates any longer. I provide exceptional care, with a small ratio and if they don't want that they can pay $15 a day to have their kid with 25 other kids in some basement.
Missqjulie 02:27 PM 08-03-2015
As of this morning I have termed DCM. She called to say she wouldn't be in to day because its DCB's birthday ( which she failed to mention last week even though I require a week notice in any change to schedule…). She also stated that she put in two weeks notice at her second job and would be pulling DCB out in two weeks, so yea termed. She mentioned something about DCB being here for two weeks not to cause a finical hardship for me (I was thinking the 3 months you were here freeloading was a hardship), I informed her I have had several people interested in a position and its not within my best interest to continue a business relationship. She said ok. So relieved it went easy.
Reply Up