Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Burning Out
Unregistered 11:40 AM 07-21-2015
I know there is a burnout thread but hoping to get extra advice. I have been open 1 1/4 years now but have done inhome for a total of over 5 years in the last 8 years. I have plenty of time off and I even reduced my hours a smidge to help but I'm still just feeling done. I have two of my own and two dcks. How do you get out of a rut like this? How do I freshen things up or renew myself? Or how do you know when it is just time to move on? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
mommyneedsadayoff 12:13 PM 07-21-2015
Sometimes you just know when you are done. A vacation may help, getting out of the house if possible, field trips, ect, but if you feel like you are just not happy with it regardless of any of that, then you may feel happiest by making the decision to be done.
Missqjulie 08:23 PM 08-01-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I know there is a burnout thread but hoping to get extra advice. I have been open 1 1/4 years now but have done inhome for a total of over 5 years in the last 8 years. I have plenty of time off and I even reduced my hours a smidge to help but I'm still just feeling done. I have two of my own and two dcks. How do you get out of a rut like this? How do I freshen things up or renew myself? Or how do you know when it is just time to move on? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ask yourself why you feel burned out. Write it out, the pros and cons, then tally them up and see what's best for you. Sometimes taking a little break and doing something else helps you reevaluate situations differently. Sometimes walking away for awhile is best for me.
Laura5287 12:13 PM 08-04-2015
I have actually had a thread on this subject. Although I am still open, I only have 1 three year old and his nine year old sister who will be going back to school next week.
I have been slowly weening myself out. I noticed a big change a couple of years ago with how I was doing. When I have no patience, then it is time to move on to something else. Children need patience, love and understanding.
Although I have the last two, patience I do not.
I am trying to stick with the three year old for two more years when he is off to kindergarten. I have had him since he was 8 weeks. He is a handful to say the least esp. with his sister here.
You will know when it is time to stop. Try some things like everyone says...vacation, field trips etc. I found it helps a little but I don't have the spark I once had.
I wish you the best.
MommyMuffin 12:47 PM 08-04-2015
I had a daycare in the past and closed soon after my son was born due to burn out.

I'm just starting up again with different plans. It is a choice now, which is great. My plan is to stay home until my youngest is in kindergarten.

I could just stay home with kids and have to budget really well and get by without extras, but I have been doing that and I am not happy without being able to have any extra money...or I could watch 2 - 3 kids and have quite a bit of extra spending money...for vacation, home updates, kids activities. Plus a playmate for my daughter...and I have baby fever...haha

This time around I am going really small...I am charging what I am worth...and I joined a Moms group...we do activities every week and that is one reason I keep my group small.

Last time I was so depressed because I was stuck at home all the time. Now with a van and only 2-3 dcks I can go to moms group, library, parks, fire department visits.

Also, while I've just been caring for 1 family so far...I've looked at it more as a job I chose to do. Put in my hours and be done, it was easy for me to be lazy...but if I keep my attention on the kids I stay more upbeat. Where as before it was...just something I had to do.

I think about the vacation..activities...it has given me a little bit of an easier time. Also, it is not forever and I can quit anytime I want...this is what I tell myself.

I'm not sure of your specific situation but when I contemplated doing daycare again....I thought...am I crazy...and then I analyzed the reasons I didn't like it and decided to change those things that I could...we shall see how this goes.

Just to reiterate...getting out of the house was my number 1 thing I will not give up!! And I don't mean just going to the park. I mean visits to the fire department, storytime at the library, and all the other moms group activities.

I'm not sure if I will last this time either..
Thriftylady 05:43 PM 08-04-2015
I closed years ago due to burn out. I know now that it was because I didn't have hardly any policies in place and parents were walking all over me and using me up. I have restarted with a policy handbook and a better contract. I am also more choosy about who I sign on. Would those things help you? If so, do them. If not go ahead and close up.
Tags:burnt out, overwhelmed
Reply Up