Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Says Not Enough Wet Diapers
Missqjulie 10:15 AM 08-27-2015
I have a dcb that just turned 3 and has been in my care for 3 weeks. He is part-time at 4 day a week tops. He is here from 7am-2pm. Eats breakfast, with milk and juice, lunch with a juice box, and has constant access to water. Today dcm says he doesn't have enough wet diapers at home and is wondering if she can bring his cup here. His cup is a coffee mug filled with red Coolaid. She has brought it over once before but I transferred it's contents into a spill proof container as the kids are constantly knocking things over, throwing their sippy cups, feeding it to the stuffed animals ect. Another problem I have is sometimes my daughter and other kids will grab different sippy cups and I don't want her having access to coolaid. I give the kids naturally sweetened Motts tot juice or naturally sweetened apple juice with no additionally added sugar.
I explained to her that his diaper is usually dry in the morning but I guess thats because he is coming from home and has just recently had a diaper change? After his afternoon naps I get a wet diaper and change that. But then she comes to pick him up around 2, soon after his nap. At 3 years old shouldn't we be working out a potty training regimen anyway? Plus if the container spills and I don't catch it in time its a liability to the rest of the kids. What do you guys think I should have done or should be doing differently? I did tell her that he can have a cup but it needs to be spill proof.
Play Care 10:20 AM 08-27-2015
"DCM, he gets enough fluids at daycare. Licensing prohibits me from serving anything other than water between meals, and milk at meal times. If you feel dck needs more at home then certainly offer him more at home. Keep in mind Being dry most of the time at this age is actually a sign of potty training readiness. Have you given any thought to starting that?" All with a big
Heidi 10:39 AM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
"DCM, he gets enough fluids at daycare. Licensing prohibits me from serving anything other than water between meals, and milk at meal times. If you feel dck needs more at home then certainly offer him more at home. Keep in mind Being dry most of the time at this age is actually a sign of potty training readiness. Have you given any thought to starting that?" All with a big
add to that..

So, if you'd like to start with some other pre-potty training skills at home, I can give you a few ideas.
-have him learn to dress/undress himself
-have him learn to wash his own hands
-have him otherwise learn to take responsibility for his own body, like removing shoes, putting on, etc.
-have him use the potty upon waking, before baths, etc. to get comfortable with the idea.

It is not considered appropriate to allow children in group care to walk around with cups of anything. They should really sit when they eat or drink.
Stephnrich 10:45 AM 08-27-2015
He should be working on toilet training. His body, at 3, naturally is able to hold his urine longer, creating less wet diapers. I do not allow children to walk around with cups, period. We also do not drink juice more than once a week, absolutely never Koolaid, but I'm in the food program.
rosieteddy 11:00 AM 08-27-2015
Do other children bring drinks from home? If no then I would not allow it. His body is getting better at holding his urine .Time for Mom to start potty training.
bklsmum 11:10 AM 08-27-2015
No way would I allow a cup of KoolAid to be brought here, sippy cup or not. If Mom wants him to drink more then that is fine but you provide the liquid for it and you choose the cup. I would suggest only water aside from meal times but that is just my preference and what I do here. We do milk at breakfast and lunch, juice only on special occasions and water the rest of the time. NEVER Kool Aid or soda, not here.
KSDC 11:11 AM 08-27-2015
No way would I allow red Kool-Aid from home. Aside from the fact that I don't ever want to have to clean that up from my carpet, I just don't do outside food and drink. (Unless the parents are sending a special snack for everyone.)
My kids all have water bottles sitting on the kitchen table. They have free access and can get a drink anytime they want. But, they don't get carried around the house.

Three years old should have fewer wet diapers. They should be learning to hold it for longer periods of time, to stay dry longer. Hopefully, working on potty training.
Controlled Chaos 11:33 AM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by KSDC:
No way would I allow red Kool-Aid from home. Aside from the fact that I don't ever want to have to clean that up from my carpet, I just don't do outside food and drink. (Unless the parents are sending a special snack for everyone.)
My kids all have water bottles sitting on the kitchen table. They have free access and can get a drink anytime they want. But, they don't get carried around the house.

Three years old should have fewer wet diapers. They should be learning to hold it for longer periods of time, to stay dry longer. Hopefully, working on potty training.
I would respond with "Yes he is having fewer we diapers! That is a sign he can hold it longer and may be ready to start potty training! How exciting! No food or drink from home, thanks for understanding "
Missqjulie 12:17 PM 08-27-2015
I just about cried when you guys posted this!!!!!!!! You guys are sooooo smart, its crazy! So educated, so awesome! So I just can't even come up with words. You guys are too smart. I will focus the discussion on potty training and things mentioned above. THIS GROUP IS AMAZING!!!! THANK YOU!
christine19720 12:19 PM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This!!
Thriftylady 01:37 PM 08-27-2015
I agree with everyone else. I don't serve kool aid, I don't allow outside food and drink, etc. Of course he will have more wet diapers with kool aid, he is drinking it for the sweet so he is drinking more of it. That is different than drinking water because you need the fluids. And I don't know but it may be like tea or coffee, I wet more when I drink those instead of water. When I go in the semi with DH and want to drink my iced tea, he reminds me "we get paid by the mile not by the bathroom break".
nannyde 03:58 PM 08-27-2015
Ewwww no way would I allow Koolaid.

I'm not buying the wet diaper story. The kid is begging the mom to bring his candy drink and she is making it a medical situation so you have to agree. Or so she thinks.

Tell her he gets plenty of liquids and his diapers are normal. If he is hammering her to bring the cup it's because it is sugar he wants... not liquids.
renodeb 04:25 PM 08-27-2015
Kool aid? Now that's healthy. I had a dad that used to bring crystal light for his kid. I confess that I used to poor it out once he was under my roof. I have a child whose mom asks every day if he drank enough water here. I think it sounds like he is getting plenty to drink.
Deb
Missqjulie 04:43 PM 08-27-2015
Well tonight at pickup I tried to tell her that maybe he was ready to potty train and some things we can do to get on the same page. She said, well if you want to potty train here you can. I reminded her that she is the parent and its whatever routine she wants to set up as far as potty training I can implement that here. She refused to take the suggestions I put down on paper and walked away. Then turned around and said, you do know he will be here tomorrow? She texted me an hour later to apologize but kept the same argument going about the fluids and that I didn't need to ask anyone for advice yada yada. I told her that I could watch him tomorrow and that after that I was not available. She said oh he will not be coming tomorrow and I want a refund now. She was right outside my house in 3 minutes flat. Its like here's your $30 take care.

I'm longing to have a professional business but keep running into mothers like this. I really wanted to wait till tomorrow, or give it over night to weigh things out but she just kept pushing. I don't do pushy well.
Unregistered 04:53 PM 08-27-2015
Thank goodness for you her true colors came out early on and you termed immediately. For sure she would have many more complaints should she have stayed. Now you have less stress to deal with
ColorfulSunburst 05:09 PM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by Missqjulie:
She said, well if you want to potty train here you can.

No, thanks, I don't want.
Missqjulie 05:36 PM 08-27-2015
It went so bad I wanted to cry after. I still do. Ugh.
Thriftylady 05:41 PM 08-27-2015
It went so bad I wanted to cry after. I still do. Ugh.
No need for that you should celebrate. You stood your ground! But next time DO NOT refund. You gave her an option and she took it, your option was to finish up the care with no refund. Don't be bullied next time.
Missqjulie 02:37 AM 08-28-2015
Yes very true about the refund but at that point I think she was cutting off her nose to spite her face. She was a bully to say the least. I don't feel bad about giving her back her money. She was rude to me, consistently rude to my husband and looking for a fight. I don't want her coming back onto my property for any reason, so yea no. Here you go and don't come back.
Missqjulie 03:29 AM 08-28-2015
Looking back I feel like I shouldn't have taken her on in the first place. And I've been feeling this way the entire time.
Thriftylady 04:50 AM 08-28-2015
Looking back I feel like I shouldn't have taken her on in the first place. And I've been feeling this way the entire time.
Been there done that. It happens.
permanentvacation 08:49 AM 08-28-2015
You asked what we think you should have done differently. I only read your original post, I didn't read through any of the responses. But... I provide EVERYTHING for the children; meals, snacks, cups, plates/bowls, utensils, diapers, pull-ups, and wipes. I started doing that many years ago for a couple of reasons.

Now, I don't have to worry about the parents bringing bugs into my home in their diaper bags, I don't have to worry about them having coins, medicine, and other things that could choke or kill the kids in here if they happen to get in the bag before I can put it away. I don't have to have the extra space for everyone's diaper bags, the parents aren't able to count the amount of diapers we go through to say they didn't pee enough or that I used too many, I don't have foods that make me ill from the smell of them, I don't have extremely messy foods, I don't have parents giving me uncooked spaghetti noodles and a can of sauce and telling me that they didn't have time to cook, so I need to cook what they want their child to have, I don't run out of diapers in the middle of the day because their parents didn't send enough, parents don't come in here in the morning, drop off their child and tell me they forgot the diaper bag so they have to run home, get it, and will be back with it which of course when the child sees their parent when they bring the bag in, makes the child cry because they can't leave with their parent at that time, I don't have kids opening their lunch boxes to find a half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate YooHoo, and chocolate cupcakes ... I could go on and on for days with this.

I don't have ANY problems at all in regards to feeding or diapering the children since I provide everything for them. I am on the state food program which pays me to provide the meals and I keep my receipts for everything I buy so I can write everything off. So, even though it costs me money upfront, it all works out financially in the end.

The only thing my parents provide is 2 changes of clothes that can stay here in case the child gets sick on themselves or has a bathroom accident. That's all they provide. It makes everything so much easier for me.

So, I would suggest that what you should do differently is that you should provide everything for the children and not allow the parents to bring any items into your daycare other than 2 changes of clothes on the first day and a replacement set of clothes as needed.
CalCare 09:52 AM 08-28-2015
I just keep thinking maybe it wasn't kool aid?! 'Cause that is ridiculous! Like maybe it was pedialyte or something!? But in the end, she does sound like a nutjob, so I guess it probably was Kool Aid! Thank goodness you are rid of her!
e.j. 12:05 PM 08-28-2015
I'm longing to have a professional business but keep running into mothers like this.
You can't control other people's behavior; just your own. Act professionally and you will have a professional business. Try not to let parents like this get to you. Just be glad she's gone and you don't have to deal with her anymore.

Yes very true about the refund but at that point I think she was cutting off her nose to spite her face. She was a bully to say the least. I don't feel bad about giving her back her money. She was rude to me, consistently rude to my husband and looking for a fight. I don't want her coming back onto my property for any reason, so yea no. Here you go and don't come back.
Sometimes it's well worth the money just to get rid of the stress some people cause. I'd say $30 was a small price to pay to have this lady gone!
Unregistered 03:06 PM 08-28-2015
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
No way would I allow a cup of KoolAid to be brought here, sippy cup or not. If Mom wants him to drink more then that is fine but you provide the liquid for it and you choose the cup. I would suggest only water aside from meal times but that is just my preference and what I do here. We do milk at breakfast and lunch, juice only on special occasions and water the rest of the time. NEVER Kool Aid or soda, not here.
Same here!
Missqjulie 08:40 PM 08-28-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
You asked what we think you should have done differently. I only read your original post, I didn't read through any of the responses. But... I provide EVERYTHING for the children; meals, snacks, cups, plates/bowls, utensils, diapers, pull-ups, and wipes. I started doing that many years ago for a couple of reasons.

Now, I don't have to worry about the parents bringing bugs into my home in their diaper bags, I don't have to worry about them having coins, medicine, and other things that could choke or kill the kids in here if they happen to get in the bag before I can put it away. I don't have to have the extra space for everyone's diaper bags, the parents aren't able to count the amount of diapers we go through to say they didn't pee enough or that I used too many, I don't have foods that make me ill from the smell of them, I don't have extremely messy foods, I don't have parents giving me uncooked spaghetti noodles and a can of sauce and telling me that they didn't have time to cook, so I need to cook what they want their child to have, I don't run out of diapers in the middle of the day because their parents didn't send enough, parents don't come in here in the morning, drop off their child and tell me they forgot the diaper bag so they have to run home, get it, and will be back with it which of course when the child sees their parent when they bring the bag in, makes the child cry because they can't leave with their parent at that time, I don't have kids opening their lunch boxes to find a half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate YooHoo, and chocolate cupcakes ... I could go on and on for days with this.

I don't have ANY problems at all in regards to feeding or diapering the children since I provide everything for them. I am on the state food program which pays me to provide the meals and I keep my receipts for everything I buy so I can write everything off. So, even though it costs me money upfront, it all works out financially in the end.

The only thing my parents provide is 2 changes of clothes that can stay here in case the child gets sick on themselves or has a bathroom accident. That's all they provide. It makes everything so much easier for me.

So, I would suggest that what you should do differently is that you should provide everything for the children and not allow the parents to bring any items into your daycare other than 2 changes of clothes on the first day and a replacement set of clothes as needed.
Yep sounds like the benefits of being licensed! Meals and buying diapers. Diapers are so expensive, Its awesome that you figured out what works for you.
Missqjulie 08:42 PM 08-28-2015
Originally Posted by CalCare:
I just keep thinking maybe it wasn't kool aid?! 'Cause that is ridiculous! Like maybe it was pedialyte or something!? But in the end, she does sound like a nutjob, so I guess it probably was Kool Aid! Thank goodness you are rid of her!
No it was Kool-aid, I poured it into another spill proof container for him. Plus when I told her I didn't want Kool-aid spilled on my carpet she didn't say it wasn't Kool-aid. She knows what it was, anyone would. Its kind of distinctive.
Missqjulie 08:44 PM 08-28-2015
Sometimes it's well worth the money just to get rid of the stress some people cause. I'd say $30 was a small price to pay to have this lady gone![/quote]
Amen!
Reply Up