Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Seriously Cannot Believe What I Just Read!
Unregistered 05:09 PM 09-04-2015
Hi guys, long time lurker, but I just had to share the craigslist ad I ran across because I knew only you guys could really appreciate it. I am literally dumbfounded at this mom. I bet she is a delight to work with and her child is just an angel!

Needing Childcare For Fridays Only!!

I am looking for childcare for ONE day a week which is Fridays!

Fridays
11:30- 6:30 (6:45 depending on traffic)/ 7 hour day!
I will bring him to you and drop him off!
I will also bring his meals!
My son is 3 and fully potty trained!
*******PLEASE PET & SMOKE FREE HOME*******(severe allergies to pets)

Listen, I've read through a lot of these post and A LOT OF YOU "providers" are money hungry opportunist!!!! I really DO NOT have time for it! I am just looking for a genuine person who is NOT ALL ABOUT THE MONEY, and who just loves kids so they are doing this out of the love they have for children. Please do not waste my time trying to "Bash" me or respond with a ridiculous amount for 7 hours when all you have to do is watch my child. Like I mentioned I'm providing his meals, and transportation and i am fine with him playing with toys or watching tv.

Do NOT respond if you want to charge $20/day for 7 hours..PLEASE DO NOT...other then that, I'm willing to negotiate a price! If you prefer texting, email me and I will give you my number. Thanks!
NillaWafers 05:13 PM 09-04-2015
Wow she wants less than 20/day? That's nuts. I charge 22 (just upped to 25) and that's rock bottom around here. Good luck to her! We may love kids, but we also like being able to pay for things like electricity and water! LOL.
Thriftylady 05:47 PM 09-04-2015
$20 a day is the going daily rate here. You can get a weekly for less of course. But we have a ton of SAHM's who would give her a very low rate of $5 a day. But the problem I have heard around here is you can't always count them to always be there when you drop off.
nannyde 06:46 PM 09-04-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi guys, long time lurker, but I just had to share the craigslist ad I ran across because I knew only you guys could really appreciate it. I am literally dumbfounded at this mom. I bet she is a delight to work with and her child is just an angel!

Fridays

Listen, I've read through a lot of these post and A LOT OF YOU "providers" are money hungry opportunist!!!! I really DO NOT have time for it! I am just looking for a genuine person who is NOT ALL ABOUT THE MONEY, and who just loves kids so they are doing this out of the love they have for children. Please do not waste my time trying to "Bash" me or respond with a ridiculous amount for 7 hours when all you have to do is watch my child. Like I mentioned I'm providing his meals, and transportation and i am fine with him playing with toys or watching tv.

Do NOT respond if you want to charge $20/day for 7 hours..PLEASE DO NOT...other then that, I'm willing to negotiate a price! If you prefer texting, email me and I will give you my number. Thanks!
What's love got to do got to do with it?
Thriftylady 07:13 PM 09-04-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
What's love got to do got to do with it?
Well in this case to this parent, a lot. This parent thinks someone who "loves" providing childcare will just do it for free because.... Well because.... Well they love doing it I guess lol. Like anyone loves working that much. Thought about it, but can't think of any job I have ever had I loved enough to do for free.
Unregistered 10:36 PM 09-04-2015
Im sorry but 7 hours is a full day and you derserve that $20 rate or maby more im very cheap but any thing over 5 hours is considered a full day pay
Missqjulie 03:20 AM 09-05-2015

Do NOT respond if you want to charge $20/day for 7 hours..PLEASE DO NOT...!
Omg nobody better respond to her ad!!!! She needs to be charged an hourly rate of $15/ hr. I bet nobody reliable or honest picked her up.
hope 05:46 AM 09-05-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
$20 a day is the going daily rate here. You can get a weekly for less of course. But we have a ton of SAHM's who would give her a very low rate of $5 a day. But the problem I have heard around here is you can't always count them to always be there when you drop off.
Why bother for $5 a day? I can't feed a child for 7 hours for that. Do they take 20 kids a day?
284878 06:53 AM 09-05-2015
Hi guys, long time lurker, but I just had to share the Craigslist ad I ran across because I knew only you guys could really appreciate it. I am literally dumbfounded at this mom. I bet she is a delight to work with and her child is just an angel!

Fridays

Your ad reminded me of an ad that I found on CL a year ago. You could use this ad to respond to the one you found.

You have no problem paying $10/hour for a teenage babysitter, yet do not want to pay $3.50/hour for an experienced licensed, trained child care provider? I have the solution for you:

I'm offering FREE child care in my home - limited spaces available

what's the catch?
Parents have to supply:
ALL the meals:
Breakfast (1 serving of fruit, 1 serving of grain 1 serving of dairy - serving according to the USDA guidelines for the individual child's age) >>actual cost $3 per meal

Lunch (1 serving of fruit, 1 serving of vegetable, 1 serving of protein, 1 serving of grain and 1 serving of dairy) >>actual cost $3 per meal

Snacks (2 of the following for each snack you want your child to get: 1 fruit, 1 grain, 1 dairy) >>actual cost $2 per snack

Formula/Breast milk baby food

Water for in between Meals according to the USDA guidelines for each individual child's age >>actual cost $2 per day

plates, cups for the entire day, no dishes will be washed, so please supply a bag for the dirty dishes!

Arts and Craft Supplies: each child would have to bring with them on a daily basis:

>crayons (non toxic) >>actual cost $1 per month
>paper (as many as you want pictures drawn for you) >>actual cost $5 per month
>glue, glitter, stickers, scissors and other supplies >>actual cost $10 per month
- instructions for what arts you want your child to do for you on a daily basis, since you don't have to pay for me to make a lesson plan >>actual cost for curriculum: $20 per month per child

Circle time:

>musical instruments (can be home made but non toxic) >>actual cost $10 per month on home made instruments
>list of songs you want you child to sing >>actual cost included in curriculum
>flash cards of whatever you want your child to learn any given day - color, shape, letter, number >>actual cost included in curriculum

Toys - well, I do have toys already, but if you want clean and sanitized toys, you might want to supply your own. Remember, I don't get paid for this!

Preschool: I will NOT provide any preschool - that's what teachers get paid $10/hour for !

Story time:

>if you want your child to be read to, please provide a book every day >>actual cost $10 per month

Nap time:

>nap mat >>actual cost $20 per child one time
>sheet that fit the mat >>actual cost $5 per child
>blanket >>actual cost as little as $5 per child

hygiene:
In order to keep your child clean and healthy, you will have to supply:

>3 gallon of water to wash hands >>actual cost $2 per day
>toilet paper >>actual cost $5 per month
>towels and wash clothes >>actual cost $10 one time
>soap >>actual cost $1 per month
>bathroom cleaner >>actual cost $2 per month
>spray bottle with soapy water >>actual cost $1 one time without soap
>spray bottle with bleach solution to sanitize after the bathroom use of your child >>actual cost $1 one time without bleach
>tissue >>actual cost $2 per month
>papertowels or napkins>>actual cost $5 per month
>diapers/wipes parent always supply

Outdoor activities:

>balls
>climbing toys
>bubbles
>jump ropes
>sidewalk chalk
>what else you want your child play with outdoors on a daily basis, please make sure that the toys are age appropriate, clean, no tears or jagged edges, and train your child's fine and gross motor skills!

Now there will be other charges for things parents can't supply but since I WORK for free, I'm sure parents wont mind paying for:

>toilet water for flushing - I will keep a chart on what child uses the toilet how often and divide the bill accordingly
>electricity for a/c in summer and heat in winter - for a 10 hour day this might be $4 for 1 child - so if I get 10 children, you are lucky and only have to pay $0.40 per day
>If I have to travel somewhere with your child, I will bill you for the gas and mileage on my vehicle and divide the insurance like electric bill above

now lets add up the ACTUAL COST on a monthly basis (for 22 work days)

ONE TIME COST PER CHILD:

$ 12 hygiene
$ 30 Nap time
$500 Outdoor activities

meals:
$66 breakfast
$66 lunch
$88 snacks (a.m & p.m)
$36 arts, crafts & curriculum
$10 circle time
$10 story time
$59 hygiene
-------------------------
$ 335 per child not added in the utilities since they change monthly >> THAT IS $15,22 per DAY and does not even pay for the providers time and work, insurance, food for her and her own children!

Now does this seem ridiculous to you?
So does reading about the parent who wants to find child care for their 4 kids from 6am to 7pm Monday-Friday and wants to spend $20 per day. No person who does daycare is going to get rich from doing so, no one who opens their arms and home to children and their families does so because it is a lucrative business.
Think about it most of the time your daycare provider is open while you are on your way to work and they are STILL working when you are done and pick up your child. Our hours are long, but we do it because we love our kids. Most in home provider make less hourly per child than the cost of a large drink at Starbucks. Yes multiplied by several it gets better but then factor in expenses, taxes and all the things we pay out of pocket for and it ends up being pretty meager.

midaycare 07:05 AM 09-05-2015
Finding a great child care provider: priceless.

Leaving your child with a very cheaply priced adult: reckless.
Thriftylady 07:09 AM 09-05-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
Why bother for $5 a day? I can't feed a child for 7 hours for that. Do they take 20 kids a day?
Desperate I guess. I wouldn't do it. Like I said I have heard of a couple who turn out not to be very reliable. Probably because it isn't worth it.
midaycare 07:23 AM 09-05-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
That screams child molestation to me. Not saying its necessarily true, but if someone wants to watch your child for really cheap, my mind goes to dark places.
Mandy 07:37 AM 09-05-2015
I do not think anyone in their right mind would provide daycare for free unless they are also working another job. For most of you, it is your only job. I know bill folks will not ne sympathetic if someone said "I run a business, but I am making zilch income from it because I am doing it for love." That bill person would just shut off whatever service they provide for you. And as someone here already said, there is a possibility people with bad intentions would say yes to their ad. Also, if that person has enough money for a computer and internet, they surely have enough money for childcare. That is just my opinion because at my house, the computers and tablets I own did not cost cheap

If I was a parent, I would make sure my kid goes to a provider who is highly qualified. I would more than likely use Care.com instead of craigslist
284878 10:11 AM 09-05-2015
Originally Posted by Mandy:
I do not think anyone in their right mind would provide daycare for free unless they are also working another job. For most of you, it is your only job. I know bill folks will not ne sympathetic if someone said "I run a business, but I am making zilch income from it because I am doing it for love." That bill person would just shut off whatever service they provide for you. And as someone here already said, there is a possibility people with bad intentions would say yes to their ad. Also, if that person has enough money for a computer and internet, they surely have enough money for childcare. That is just my opinion because at my house, the computers and tablets I own did not cost cheap

If I was a parent, I would make sure my kid goes to a provider who is highly qualified. I would more than likely use Care.com instead of craigslist
There is someone on FB that post she needs a day care for her 2 kids (under 2) for 12 /13 hours a day 5 days a week. She will provide them food. Person must pass DHS background check. (since she has a DHS / CPS open case) for $70 a week. She got a DC center to do this but then the dc got shut down for breaking a bunch of rules. So she is looking again. This time with a different job. (she posts where she works) Her hours are now 10/11 per day and will drop kids off to you for $60 per week. DHS background check approved. Every time she post looking for a DC, she has SAHM post that they are interested, then they find out the hours, BG check, and pay. They try to educate her on how that is not enough $$ and why or recommend her to apply for assistants. (She offers use of her food card, which is illegal)

(What got me is caring for non related children in your home is against the law but when I asked a CPS worker/ not hers. They / CPS will allow that law to be broken in cases like these. Really, instead of working on their budget, you will have someone else break the law?)
stephanie 03:15 PM 09-05-2015
"I am fine with him playing with toys"

How is this real
CalCare 10:19 PM 09-05-2015
Originally Posted by stephanie:
"I am fine with him playing with toys"

How is this real
- and don't worry, you won't need to change their diapers or anything... I'll do that before and after...
Unregistered 12:34 PM 09-06-2015
She must think there are people who do child care for a relaxing hobby!! No need to pay anything...she'd be doing you a favor to relax with her child! Hahahaha!
Tags:cheap rates, craig's list, craigslist oddities
Reply Up