Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CA - CPR and First Aid Recertification
NillaWafers 11:28 AM 11-06-2015
So, just realized my certification is expiring the 23rd. I wish I had known sooner so I could find a weekend class. I did find one but it's a blended class (part online, 2 hrs in person). Does anyone know if I have to take the California Child Care: Pediatric First Aid and CPR, or is just pediatric first aid and CPR ok? I can't find any classes nearby that have the Child Care title.... ugh

thanks!
Crystal 03:05 PM 11-06-2015
as long as they can provide you the EMSA stickers on your card they are fine. Usually your local resource and referral agency can provide you with a list of approved instructors. Red Cross is always good as well.
NillaWafers 03:07 PM 11-06-2015
Oh this course is through Red Cross. It had an online portion and a in-person 2 hr portion. I actually just finished the online portion during nap time! You can skip to the quiz taking portion, and do a few scenarios correctly - and wham, done!

So much better than spending 6 hrs reviewing things I've reviewed about 6 times now!
sharlan 03:13 PM 11-06-2015
Please correct me if I am wrong.............but I thought licensing wouldn't accept any online course. (Of course things are very gray here.)
NillaWafers 03:18 PM 11-06-2015
That's what I was asking about. Heh. I was looking in the licensing requirement and this is all I could find:

Originally Posted by :
(I) Health and Safety Code Section 1596.866 provides in part:
(a) In addition to any other required training... each family day care home licensee who
provides care shall have at least 15 hours of training on preventive health practices. The training
shall include pediatric cardiopulmonary resuscitation, pediatric first aid, recognition,
management, and prevention of infectious diseases, including immunizations, and prevention of
childhood injuries. The training may include training in sanitary food handling, child nutrition,
emergency preparedness and evacuation, caring for children with special needs, and
identification and reporting of signs and symptoms of child abuse....
(c) All personnel and licensees described in subdivision (a) shall complete 15 hours of
preventive health practices training as described in subdivision (a) on or before January 1, 1995,
and completion of the health training shall be a condition of licensure.
(1) The department shall issue a provisional license for otherwise qualified applicants who
are not in compliance with this section. This provisional license shall expire 90 days after the
date of issuance and shall not be extended....
So that's why I posted cus I didn't know if I could take the online part, but I can't find anything saying I can't.

ETA: I did do the online portion but I can get my money back and take a real class. It just will require me to close the daycare on short notice, probably refund money, and lose a vacation day my hubby was saving for when I have our baby. I have just been scouring to find what the exact requirements are and I can't find anything....so is there something I'm missing?

PS Also, it's only part online (just the teaching portion), you still have to go to class for 2-3 hrs.
sharlan 03:30 PM 11-06-2015
Call licensing and verify.
NillaWafers 03:56 PM 11-06-2015
Ahh bummer, you're right. I wish they had it more clear in the written licensing. I managed to find a weekend CA child care one but it's so far away. At least i don't have to close I guess.
sharlan 04:46 PM 11-06-2015
Where are you located? I had a company come to my house.
NillaWafers 04:51 PM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Where are you located? I had a company come to my house.
I live in LA, was that expensive?? I just registered for a class on Sunday, at least it'll be done soon haha.
sharlan 05:30 PM 11-06-2015
I had to have 6 people certified so it wasn't too bad.
NillaWafers 06:04 PM 11-06-2015
Ahh it's just me. I don't know anyone who would need it

Oh welllll. I really do wish they had something for someone who has taken this class so many times. I did do the online quiz before I realized it wouldn't count and I got 100% on both CPR and First Aid! I know this stuff
MarinaVanessa 06:57 PM 11-06-2015
Yeah CA doesn't accept online classes. The only class that you only have to take once is the preventative health and safety class. You have to take the adult, child and infant CPR class and the pediatric first aid (the ones that say CA child care) every couple of years to get recertified.

I live in Ventura County and as long as we have our appointment set by the time our certifications expire licensing doesn't have an issue, we just have to send them a copy once we get recertified and that's only if they show up to do an inspection and our certification has expired. If they don't come by we don't have to show them anything.
Tags:certification, cpr certified, first aid
Reply Up