Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>18 Month Old
Boymom 04:04 AM 01-09-2016
Hello! I currently watch a 6 month old, 8 month old (mine), a 10 month old, 2 year old, and 3 year old (mine.) I must have been on another planet when I decided to watch 3 babies lol! I have done this for 6 months now and I just can't teach and play with the toddlers like I want because I'm so busy with the babies. I've decided to let the 10 month old go for many different reasons. I'm trying to find a child 2+, but there's a mom with an 18 month old that is looking for daycare. Do any of you watch an 18 old month with older toddlers?
Josiegirl 04:29 AM 01-09-2016
I have 19 mo twins, along with a 2 1/2 yo, almost 3 yo and almost 4 yo. There have been ups and downs as they go through their phases but all in all I LOVE that age!! I also had a 3 yo but dcm's out on maternity leave til April. They keep me busy.
Blackcat31 08:50 AM 01-09-2016
Originally Posted by Jgrantham:
Hello! I currently watch a 6 month old, 8 month old (mine), a 10 month old, 2 year old, and 3 year old (mine.) I must have been on another planet when I decided to watch 3 babies lol! I have done this for 6 months now and I just can't teach and play with the toddlers like I want because I'm so busy with the babies. I've decided to let the 10 month old go for many different reasons. I'm trying to find a child 2+, but there's a mom with an 18 month old that is looking for daycare. Do any of you watch an 18 old month with older toddlers?
Funny how ages are classified so differently from state to state. Im reading your age list and thinking "You dont have any toddlers"

In my state, infants are birth - age 1 and toddlers are 1yr -2 yr so the day a child turns 2 is the day they become a preschooler.

I have 10-12 kids daily (I have help over lunch time) and my kids vary in age from 6 months to 5 yrs old.

I teach my littles (under age 2) when the others are busy with center play or other group activities.

I teach the older ones when my littles are having their morning naps (the under 2 crowd naps twice a day).

Guided, structured "teaching" need only happen in small increments (10-15 minutes) and is very beneficial in those small segments of time. You can of course go longer and dive into subjects and activities much deeper but even those (when pre-planned and pre-arranged) can be fairly easy and stress free.

The key for me when teaching any age group is in the preparations I do ahead of time and being comfortable with not having a rigid expectation of outcome.
Unregistered 10:02 AM 01-10-2016
I don't take little ones under a year any more. When I did I only took one infant and one toddler. The rest were 2 yrs. and up. Worked great. I'd NEVER, EVER take more than one under one yr. But that is just me. I'm not a big infant person.

I'd gladly take two children 12 mo. to 24 mo. I love that age!
Ariana 02:17 PM 01-11-2016
I only have kids 18 months plus so I have plenty of experience with this age group. I find it very difficult to find kids 2+ where I am so 18mos is my only option usually.This child should play well with the others and it's this age where they begin learning a lot about social play. They really do look up to the older ones and follow their lead. The biggest changes that I see in kids is from 18 mos to 2 years, they are just learning so much and their language starts to really take off (usually).
momneedscoffee 04:25 PM 01-13-2016
Originally Posted by Jgrantham:
I have a 3 mo, 11 mo (mine), 18 mo, and 2 3 yr olds (one is mine). I find that the 18 mo more or less does her own thing. To me, it is an easy age because they are so easily entertained and pretty independent. The 3 year olds will sometimes play with her, and most activities we do she is able to participate in or content just watching the older ones. I would say she is my easiest child!
Tags:18 month old
Reply Up