Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Is It So Hard Not To Be Irked?
SilverSabre25 07:29 PM 11-22-2011
I only have one dck on Friday. I was hoping for a day off, but one set of parents really does have to work. I could have asked them to get dcg into the back-up childcare at their workplace but didn't do it in time, and then felt bad about it. I'm getting paid, I'm supposed to work that day anyway...so why am I having such a hard time not being annoyed?

Dcg is pretty easy...I'm going to be loafing around cleaning and decorating for Christmas. DH doesn't even have the whole day off and I'm not *that* interested in shopping. I'm going to be in babysitter mode that day. I'm getting paid by every family (heh, all three of them, lol) for that day...

SO WHY IS IT ANNOYING?!?
Crazy8 07:40 PM 11-22-2011
sorry its bothering you. I don't think I'd be bothered if the parents are working but I do understand why you are annoyed!
I added the friday after thanksgiving to my list of holidays after just my 1st or 2nd year of doing daycare. I had a drop in family ask me for the day and I said yes and was sure to tell them he'd be the only one here. Well, got up early, showered and waited and waited and they didn't show up. Finally I called and woke them up - turns out they "decided to sleep in and weren't going to bring him afterall". Oh, I was fuming!!! Never took the child again. Decided it was going to be a paid holiday from that point on!!!
mac60 03:43 AM 11-23-2011
I would feel annoyed to, I would love to have a day off on occassion. I would write it into your holiday list. I have found that usually, both parents have off, and if not at least one parent. We are a group of people that work very hard to please everyone, but that is an impossible task. I would pop in movies and do things around your home that you want.
awestbrook713 04:16 AM 11-23-2011
I completely understand, I have one family too with 2 dcg. Dad isn't working but mom is but for some reason he isn't taking them. I have our thanksgiving dinner with my inlaws that night so nothing big going on during the day. It was my own mistake for not taking that day off according to my contract, but I definately remembered in my new contract for 2012. Sorry you aren't getting friday off, maybe something will work out last minute. Have a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!
VTMom 05:23 AM 11-23-2011
I get it too. Today I was supposed to have 2 families with 2 kids each, but 1 called out because it snowed. Mom of the other family has been off work all week and will definitely bring both in today (at some point). They're not here yet and I'm starting to get my hopes up that I'll have an unscheduled day off but I know I'm setting myself up. It annoys me, it shouldn't, I'm petty, I get it. Oh well. My husband just laughs at me when I start hoping!

Hope it goes by fast! Happy Thanksgiving!
mismatchedsocks 05:40 AM 11-23-2011
I take the day after off BUT, I understand how you feel.
Hope the little girl is good, and you can get some stuff done. I hope to get stuff done today, even though I have a full house. I am putting a movie in, which I never do!
Cat Herder 05:55 AM 11-23-2011
I understand...

Half of the kids that were to be out on "unpaid vacation" for the week are here today. Sure I am now getting almost my full weeks pay (one family stuck it out).... but I know their parents are home and I was looking forward to spending time with my own kids...

It is what it is, though.
nannyde 06:49 AM 11-23-2011
I never give these things a second thought.

I always look at it from the point of view that I want a one hundred percent attendance record year after year. If one kid is here... it's the same to me as if they are all here.

We do uber super dooper deep cleaning when the attendance is low so if we had one kid it would be HARDER working that day then when they are all here. I always tell the parents that we do DEEP cleaning when they are away cuz I want them to KNOW they are still getting their moneys worth in services.

I want to make the parents happy. Even if they DO tell me that they aren't coming and change their minds... I let it roll off quick. I really don't care. As long as my bank book is full and we can get stuff done for the greater good... it's all good.

I'm just grateful to have the work. Even if I have to work it every day but the days I'm on holiday... I don't care. I just want the work.
hoopinglady 11:32 AM 11-23-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I never give these things a second thought.

I always look at it from the point of view that I want a one hundred percent attendance record year after year. If one kid is here... it's the same to me as if they are all here.

We do uber super dooper deep cleaning when the attendance is low so if we had one kid it would be HARDER working that day then when they are all here. I always tell the parents that we do DEEP cleaning when they are away cuz I want them to KNOW they are still getting their moneys worth in services.

I want to make the parents happy. Even if they DO tell me that they aren't coming and change their minds... I let it roll off quick. I really don't care. As long as my bank book is full and we can get stuff done for the greater good... it's all good.

I'm just grateful to have the work. Even if I have to work it every day but the days I'm on holiday... I don't care. I just want the work.
No doubt.

Thank you for this. I've been a whiney you-know-what lately.
Reply Up