Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Childcare or Child Care?
melilley 11:11 PM 01-20-2013
I am in the process of making business cards for my in home child care, or childcare. Is it childcare or child care? I know this question is silly, but I've seen it both ways. I am putting my Name's Family Child Care at the top and I'm not sure if the words are together or apart. Also, those of you who operate out of your home do you call yourselves a daycare or childcare(child care)?

One more question, if you have business cards, what info. do you put on them?
Michael 12:40 AM 01-21-2013
In the past its Day Care and Child Care and Daycare and Childcare. Daycare and Childcare are now becoming the norm. Either are correct IMO.
Abigail 12:45 AM 01-21-2013
I personally use the words Child Care. It could be senior care, or pet care, etc. I like child care a lot better than daycare. I tell people I have a daycare, but not once will you see daycare in writing.
laundrymom 03:50 AM 01-21-2013
I think it's context driven, but that's just something I've assumed. For example,

Polly's Childcare provides dependable child care.
Patches 04:59 AM 01-21-2013
I have Child Care in my name. I tell people I have a daycare but the word "daycare" isn't in writing anywhere. On my business cards, I have a lot

Address Daycare Name

Phone #

Email
Facebook

Doesn't quite look right but close
Sunchimes 05:46 AM 01-21-2013
One of my early ads said daycare, and I got two calls about senior respite care before I changed the ad. Now I'm child care-2 words. I try to remember to spell daycare as one word, because that's what the forum uses, but I think I may bounce back and forth between one word or two when I'm typing.

Dictionary.com shows them both as one word.
Blackcat31 05:48 AM 01-21-2013
On all the paperwork my state has, it is written as child care. Two words.

I usually write it that way but see nothing wrong with childcare either.
Crazy8 06:40 AM 01-21-2013
I use "daycare" in my business name - as one word. I think Child Care looks fine as 2 words but Day Care seems weird to me, totally just my opinion, I know its completely acceptable!! Anyway, I went from using "family child care" to using "home daycare" in my name because no one had a clue what family child care was and I was so sick of getting calls asking if I was hiring or if this was a daycare center. Hasn't completely fixed the problem though, so funny when people call and ask "is this such-and-such home daycare" and I say yes and they still ask "is this a home daycare?". DUH!!!!

so to answer your question I'd personally use Daycare or Child Care.
Unregistered 09:27 AM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I use "daycare" in my business name - as one word. I think Child Care looks fine as 2 words but Day Care seems weird to me, totally just my opinion, I know its completely acceptable!! Anyway, I went from using "family child care" to using "home daycare" in my name because no one had a clue what family child care was and I was so sick of getting calls asking if I was hiring or if this was a daycare center. Hasn't completely fixed the problem though, so funny when people call and ask "is this such-and-such home daycare" and I say yes and they still ask "is this a home daycare?". DUH!!!!

so to answer your question I'd personally use Daycare or Child Care.
I agree. Day Care (2 words) looks weird to me, too. I also agree with laundrymom that it can be context driven as well. I have "Family Daycare and Preschool" in my name. I wanted to use only "Child Care" but it sounded weird with my name and I didn't want to leave it at just "daycare" because I wanted people to know that I am doing more than just babysitting their child.
mamac 09:53 AM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I agree. Day Care (2 words) looks weird to me, too. I also agree with laundrymom that it can be context driven as well. I have "Family Daycare and Preschool" in my name. I wanted to use only "Child Care" but it sounded weird with my name and I didn't want to leave it at just "daycare" because I wanted people to know that I am doing more than just babysitting their child.
That post ---^ was from me. My computer is way slow today and wouldn't let me log in...
kitykids3 10:09 AM 01-21-2013
I've always just used childcare
CrackerJacks 01:01 PM 01-21-2013
I've always used childcare (one word). When parents refer to me as "Daycare" I always correct them and say "childcare". I know it may sound petty, but the word "Daycare" in reference to providing childcare is just a pet peeve of mine. I provide care for children, not the day.
melilley 02:09 PM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by CrackerJacks:
I've always used childcare (one word). When parents refer to me as "Daycare" I always correct them and say "childcare". I know it may sound petty, but the word "Daycare" in reference to providing childcare is just a pet peeve of mine. I provide care for children, not the day.
I have never thought of it that way, clever!
mamac 06:45 PM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by CrackerJacks:
I never read it that way. Although you do provide Care during the Day.
Tags:daycare
Reply Up