Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Now That We're Home...
Hunni Bee 04:29 PM 08-09-2013
Roseyface came home today. We had literally less than 48 hours notice, and nothing was set up for her because we were under the impression we would be moved before she got home.

But it was surprisingly uneventful...everything worked right, nurses were ridiculously helpful and sad to see her go, and she's been pretty calm.

So naturally its time for me to pepper you all with infant questions.

What's a good loose schedule for her? She's three weeks old, but still four weeks ahead of her due date. She eats about an ounce and a half per feeding, two ounces max. She was on a pretty good eating schedule at the hospital, but lately has been insisting on eating smaller amounts more often.

She also has been awake quite a bit of the day lately. Not squalling to be held, but laying there watching the big people and making piggy noises. But not sleeping either...and then falling asleep during her feeds.

I'm not freaking out (yet), just want some advice Thanks!
Cradle2crayons 04:49 PM 08-09-2013
Lol yay congrats in getting the baby home !!!!

I'm sure you already know.... Munchkin makes her own schedule.

You simply obey her commands lol.

It's great she's calm because a lot of times babies are calm in the hospital and once you get them home the honeymoon is over and all heck breaks loose haha.

Basically the fun has just begun!!! I'm so excited she's home!!

When do you guys move??
Familycare71 08:33 PM 08-09-2013
Congrats on having her home!!
At that age I always let my kids set the schedule- really the only thing I tried to do was keep things quiet and dark at night to encourage sleeping then
littlemissmuffet 11:04 PM 08-09-2013
She's the boss... she'll let you know. Her sleep cycle and feedings will be different the first few days she's home and will rapidly change as the weeks go by. Be calm. If she falls asleep while eating, put her down immediately to wake her back up. If she stays sleeping, simply re-try the feed after she's had the nap and is rested up.

Congrats on having Ava home!!
AfterSchoolMom 04:23 AM 08-10-2013
Yay, she's home!

My biggest advice is don't stress over a schedule. As others have said, just let her set the pace and enjoy this time as much as possible, because they're only tiny for what seems like five seconds - mine will be a year old at the end of this month and it seems like he was born yesterday!
Play Care 06:48 AM 08-10-2013
I agree - let her set her schedule.

The one thing I did do with my second child that I didn't do with my first was to keep night wakings to business only. So I would keep lights off (use a nightlight) not make a lot of eye contact or talk to baby. I would change the diaper, feed her, burp her, and place her back to bed. I remember with my older dd, pacing the floor with her because she wasn't sleeping - not crying, mind you, but just laying there awake Day time awake time was "party" time - lots of chatter, eye contact, etc. etc. For me, it was a more natural way to encourage longer day time awake time and less night time awake time.
Cradle2crayons 06:55 AM 08-10-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Roseyface came home today. We had literally less than 48 hours notice, and nothing was set up for her because we were under the impression we would be moved before she got home.

But it was surprisingly uneventful...everything worked right, nurses were ridiculously helpful and sad to see her go, and she's been pretty calm.

So naturally its time for me to pepper you all with infant questions.

What's a good loose schedule for her? She's three weeks old, but still four weeks ahead of her due date. She eats about an ounce and a half per feeding, two ounces max. She was on a pretty good eating schedule at the hospital, but lately has been insisting on eating smaller amounts more often.

She also has been awake quite a bit of the day lately. Not squalling to be held, but laying there watching the big people and making piggy noises. But not sleeping either...and then falling asleep during her feeds.

I'm not freaking out (yet), just want some advice Thanks!

Oh, one other thing... If she's falling asleep during her feeds... It MAY be that she's having to work too hard to get milk from the bottle nipple.

With my new daycare baby that was a preemie also, he had the opposite problem and mom didn't even realize it... She had a level TWO nipple on the bottle and it was giving him so much milk he was gulping air, getting gassy, spitting up, and crying excessively. He was swallowing with every suck.

So I showed mom what I meant and instantly the gas and spitting up stopped.

I told her that its generally recommended that they swallow every other suck or even every two sucks on the nipple if they are a preemie or prone to gas and spit up.

With Ava though, it may be the opposite. It may be she's sucking TOO hard and it's tiring her out.

Just a thought though!!
Sugar Magnolia 06:58 AM 08-10-2013
I have no advice, just wanted to say hello and send you big hugs.
snbauser 07:08 AM 08-10-2013
So glad to hear she is home and I hope you guys settle into a routine quickly. I agree with the others about letting her set the schedule at that age. She is in a new environment now and it will take time to adjust.
Hunni Bee 11:37 AM 08-10-2013
Thanks guys!

I know no schedule yet, I was basically asking what order to do stuff, I shouldn't have said schedule.

I try to change her before she eats so she'll be the most awake...is that okay?

And instead of a whole bottle (2 oz) every 3 hours, she wants to have half a bottle every hour and a half.

It may be the nipples, but those are the ones she used in the hospital...soooo I'm a little leery about changing them just yet...

She's a good baby...she only fusses if she wants to eat, buf that's all the time lol
Hunni Bee 11:42 AM 08-10-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I agree - let her set her schedule.

The one thing I did do with my second child that I didn't do with my first was to keep night wakings to business only. So I would keep lights off (use a nightlight) not make a lot of eye contact or talk to baby. I would change the diaper, feed her, burp her, and place her back to bed. I remember with my older dd, pacing the floor with her because she wasn't sleeping - not crying, mind you, but just laying there awake Day time awake time was "party" time - lots of chatter, eye contact, etc. etc. For me, it was a more natural way to encourage longer day time awake time and less night time awake time.
Thank you!!

I actually felt mean doing this last night, but I feel better now.
Cradle2crayons 12:24 PM 08-10-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Thanks guys!

I know no schedule yet, I was basically asking what order to do stuff, I shouldn't have said schedule.

I try to change her before she eats so she'll be the most awake...is that okay?

And instead of a whole bottle (2 oz) every 3 hours, she wants to have half a bottle every hour and a half.

It may be the nipples, but those are the ones she used in the hospital...soooo I'm a little leery about changing them just yet...

She's a good baby...she only fusses if she wants to eat, buf that's all the time lol
On the changing... Every baby is different. I started out changing my new daycare baby before he ate but eating would stimulate him to poop so I ended up changing him before and after lol.

S then I changed to after. But every baby is different.

As far as the frequency and ounces, my only advice is to keep track of times and amounts for her pediatrician. Especially with her being a preemie. I weigh all of new babies diapers and account for every ounce on a daily log sheet. I do the same for his sister who is tube fed. I do intake and output in her every day she's here. I account for every cc in and every cc out. Mainly because she has a HUGE difference in her output versus her intake.

On my own babies I always kept track of their diapers (not weigh em though) and for their times and ounces until they were in a steady growth patterns.
daycare 12:32 PM 08-10-2013
Have you gotten my package yet?
Reply Up