Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Leaving My RN Labor And Delivery Job To Do A Home Daycare
kelbachj9 01:08 PM 02-19-2014
Hi everyone I'm an registered nurse from Ohio and I have a few questions. I have been contemplating the idea of starting my own home day care. This would mean quitting my full-time job maybe working as needed at the hospital in labor and delivery. I have two young boys 16 months and eight years old and I was looking at the daycare requirements in my state and I feel as if my home would be what's called the type b.

I have a feeling I will be making less than I would with my full time job. I love children a lot and truly feel that this is my calling. My question is in Ohio you can have 3 kids under two and 3 older than 2. With your cost week to week do you feel I could make a good living? I would have to spend money upfront to buy things like toys crafts etc. right now I gross about 70,000 a year. And with one son in daycare my daycare costs are not that much.

My husband is very supportive yet this is a very scary move for me just looking for advice and encouragement
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 02-19-2014
Welcome to the forum!
Second Home 01:55 PM 02-19-2014
Realistically you will earn much much less than your current job . Even if you are at capacity it will be much less .
There is no way I could support myself on my child care income alone , most make less than minimum wage after expenses .

Here in MD the average income for a home daycare is 15-25 k a year .
CraftyMom 01:58 PM 02-19-2014
You will make much less unfortunately
spud912 02:00 PM 02-19-2014
Originally Posted by kelbachj9:
Hi everyone I'm an registered nurse from Ohio and I have a few questions. I have been contemplating the idea of starting my own home day care. This would mean quitting my full-time job maybe working as needed at the hospital in labor and delivery. I have two young boys 16 months and eight years old and I was looking at the daycare requirements in my state and I feel as if my home would be what's called the type b.

I have a feeling I will be making less than I would with my full time job. I love children a lot and truly feel that this is my calling. My question is in Ohio you can have 3 kids under two and 3 older than 2. With your cost week to week do you feel I could make a good living? I would have to spend money upfront to buy things like toys crafts etc. right now I gross about 70,000 a year. And with one son in daycare my daycare costs are not that much.

My husband is very supportive yet this is a very scary move for me just looking for advice and encouragement
I would do some research into your area to see how much people charge. 1. Calculate how much you would earn if you were not at capacity (since there are times where you would not fill all spots). That would be your gross income.
2. Then calculate your expenses (including extra utilities, wear and tear, supplies, licensing fees, start-up costs, projected taxes, the cost of an assistant if applicable, the cost to take time off, etc.).
3. Subtract 2 from 1 to find your projected net income.

To properly compare it to your current income, take $70,000 and subtract your taxes, benefits, cost of work attire and other similar costs (shoes, makeup, etc), cost of gas, cost of vehicle maintenance, cost of child care, etc.

For me, I found I would be making more income doing child care making $23,000 than when I had a job outside of the home making $46,000 per year. HTH!
Scout 03:02 PM 02-19-2014
I am in Ohio and you can subtract more than 1/2 of your income. IMO, if you do not need to quit your job and are just playing around with it I wouldn't moneywise. If you are ok with making oh, say $40,000 less, possibly higher reduction in wages then go for it. It is a fantastic way to stay home with your younger one but, it is also hard on them sometimes to share their mom, toys, home. My kids do pretty well with it and have "no share" toys that stay in their rooms. Plus, it can get hard to make sure you keep your home looking it's best. Sometimes, I just don't have it in me on a Sunday to clean the whole house, but, I have to because of the daycare. Just some thoughts to consider.
Sereetta 03:16 PM 02-19-2014
I'm not sure about Ohio but in NYC and Philadelphia daycare is a lucrative business. I suggest you research where there is a need in your community... for example my daycare caters to a specific cliental ( special needs children) it just so happens the neighborhood is a low income therefore the majority of my children receive city subsidy(typically the city pays more than parents do).... Many people in my area (after paying assistants, rent, insurance, food, etc) take home 6,000.00 a month. When you own multiple sites you can imagine how much you make.

I would more so focus on whether this is your passion. This is a high demanding job and parents can tell very quickly if you chosen this profession for the right reason. I left a well paying job and the first year was rough but thankfully I have no complaints now.. I hope this hurts. inbox me if you have any other questions.
Cradle2crayons 03:16 PM 02-19-2014
As a fellow RN (pediatrics not L&D)... I can tell ya... If you CANT make it financially with SIGNIFICANTLY less money... Don't quit your day job lol.

My husband had a dream of working offshore about 8 years ago... And I went to working two weekends a month when he was home... Then his schedule got wonky and he'd be gone weeks at a time... Then we decided to adopt a baby... And we both decided I would need to be home full time with now two young kids. That and I stillw as very busy with his three kids from previous etc etc.

So, I came home... And within months felt so isolated and missed nursing so much... We came to a compromise and off to PRN I went. I had done daycare years an d years ago and decided to do it again.

Income really wasn't an issue because he does make good money. Of course, his profession is feast or famine. He may be home months or gone months, depending on weather and work etc.

Long story short, I don't do daycare to support my family. It IS income.

There are a lot of considerations you need to think about. Income is only one part.
Scout 04:22 PM 02-19-2014
Originally Posted by Sereetta:
I'm not sure about Ohio but in NYC and Philadelphia daycare is a lucrative business. I suggest you research where there is a need in your community... for example my daycare caters to a specific cliental ( special needs children) it just so happens the neighborhood is a low income therefore the majority of my children receive city subsidy(typically the city pays more than parents do).... Many people in my area (after paying assistants, rent, insurance, food, etc) take home 6,000.00 a month. When you own multiple sites you can imagine how much you make.

I would more so focus on whether this is your passion. This is a high demanding job and parents can tell very quickly if you chosen this profession for the right reason. I left a well paying job and the first year was rough but thankfully I have no complaints now.. I hope this hurts. inbox me if you have any other questions.
I am guessing you are a victim of autocorrect changing help to hurt!
Sereetta 06:39 PM 02-19-2014
Lol.. I am.. help
Maria2013 05:28 AM 02-20-2014
" I hope this hurts"

IMO If you're concerned over income, then you should keep your job
welcome to the forum
MotherNature 07:11 AM 02-20-2014
I'm thinking you may be lucky to get a third of that. If I ever go back & finish my nursing degree, L&D is what I want to do, as a nurse midwife. I like staying home with my kids, but I wouldn't give up that money to do childcare. No way.
countrymom 08:33 AM 02-20-2014
I was a nurse too. And yes you do make less money. But you need to sit down and write down all the pro's and con's. For me, having 4 kids in daycare would have killed me, but also I couldn't stand working steady afternoons or every other weekend and almost all the holidays. I felt like I missed out with them. And now that they are older, they seem to be even more work, I'm not driving someone to somewhere to some program. The only difference now is that my kids expect me to attend their things and will look for me in audiences or when they come home they expect to see me there lol!
originalkat 08:36 AM 02-20-2014
I support my family with my income...but it is nowhere near 70K a year.
And I have 8 full time kiddos.
If money is a concern, then I would stick with what you are doing.
crazydaycarelady 09:07 AM 02-20-2014
Honestly there is NO WAY on Gods green Earth I would give up and RN job in Labor & Delivery for a home daycare job. You will make A LOT less money, get A LOT less respect, probably work more hours, and give up a lot of your home and privacy.
Play Care 12:47 PM 02-20-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Honestly there is NO WAY on Gods green Earth I would give up and RN job in Labor & Delivery for a home daycare job. You will make A LOT less money, get A LOT less respect, probably work more hours, and give up a lot of your home and privacy.
What she said
LadyPearl 01:03 PM 02-20-2014
I will say that the pay really isn't that great when you consider all the hours with kids, the hours without kids when you are still doing dc tasks, dealing with parents, factoring in extra household expenses, and meeting requirements. I can honestly say that I am now second-guessing my decision to do home daycare. So far, my experience has been with kids who have horrible behaviors, no respect, and no discipline.....and some of the parents aren't any better. I expect much more from my own kids and I struggle with dcks because of it. Kids are certainly "parented" differently in today's world.
JoseyJo 01:25 PM 02-20-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Boy and I glad someone said that- I just quit home daycare to become an RN in labor and delivery! Saw this post and thought.... oh my, maybe that was a bad choice...
NoMoreJuice! 03:52 PM 02-20-2014
You may make less money, but there are things way more important to you in life than money. How much would you pay to see every milestone happen in your child's life and be a part of every smile and giggle every day?

I am finally full to capacity and will be grossing 70 this year unless something changes. 7 full time kids, plus two full time SA kids in the summer, 175 a week per child plus food program. But gross income for me is WAY different than gross income for you. I pay a ton of money to operate my business every year, and don't have an employer chipping in 1/2 of my medicare/ss tax. Lots of great tax deductions though. I'm super happy with my career choice, and can't see myself changing careers anytime soon.
Reply Up