Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-2015, 12:18 PM
kitkat kitkat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 618
Default Do You Correct Speech?

Dcg is 5 and a half. She is not correctly pronouncing the r sound. I know it takes awhile. Would you start correcting it or just ignore it? The rest of her speech is fine and she is definitely not a candidate for speech therapy.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-05-2015, 12:22 PM
spud912's Avatar
spud912 spud912 is offline
Trix are for kids
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
Dcg is 5 and a half. She is not correctly pronouncing the r sound. I know it takes awhile. Would you start correcting it or just ignore it? The rest of her speech is fine and she is definitely not a candidate for speech therapy.
I don't know why not. I do it by having them look at my mouth and tongue placement while saying the word in question and having them repeat it.

I usually only take younger children, though, so I feel like part of what I do is teach them how to speak and enunciate. I suppose I would stop doing it once they reached a certain age (6 or 7 years old?).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2015, 12:25 PM
Jack Sprat's Avatar
Jack Sprat Jack Sprat is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: God's Country
Posts: 879
Default

I do. I restate what the child says the correct way. If I feel it is just laziness or they are talking so fast it comes out jumbled, I have them repeat it the correct way.

For example, dcb 4yr old says "titty tat, jurl (girl), wos (wash)" etc. I just say it the corect way and ask him to say it with me and then the correct way. He does each time. His preschool teacher wants him to have speech therapy his parents feel it is just laziness and I tend to agree. We have looked into having services done here at daycare but, that isn't available. So we are tag teaming it and working on it here and at home.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2015, 12:25 PM
laundrymom's Avatar
laundrymom laundrymom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,222
Default

I do. From day one.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Controlled Chaos's Avatar
Controlled Chaos Controlled Chaos is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,131
Default

I agree with pps. I think it can be done in a practical way, that won't hurt their feelings or make them embarrassed. If I have a child struggling with a certain sound I will often pick a song for that week or book with that sound in it a lot, so they can practice it with their friends.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-05-2015, 01:42 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

r's are fine until after age 8 I was told that it needed DOc follow up.

Yes correct it, don't tell her shes wrong, just say the word again with an emphasis on the letter Rr

I tell my kids say RED...that is how r is supposed to be taught...

A lot of people teach er
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-05-2015, 02:16 PM
originalkat's Avatar
originalkat originalkat is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,389
Default

YES. It is important to correct speech errors very early and consistently. A speech pathologist who used to come to my program twice a week to work with a child told me to do this because bad habits form early and it is easier to correct them from the start. However, according to her, R's are the last to "develop" and can remain difficult for some children until age 11.
__________________
Originalkat
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Is she in school yet? I ask because if not and it is still an issue when she starts school they may be able to put her in speech therapy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-05-2015, 07:37 PM
permanentvacation's Avatar
permanentvacation permanentvacation is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,456
Default

I correct speech all the time. I also correct grammar. I believe that during the time the children are with me, it is my job to help them become the best that they can be in all aspects of life.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-05-2015, 08:51 PM
AmyKidsCo's Avatar
AmyKidsCo AmyKidsCo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,786
Default

I don't tell them they're saying it wrong, but I do say it correctly when I say it to them.

R is one of the last letters to be pronounced correctly; some children don't master it until grade school.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-05-2015, 08:51 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

I correct. If the kids say something incorrectly I just rephrase it properly and repeat it to them.

"I has it"
"You have it? Oh yes you HAVE it" and I emphasize the word that was misused/mispronounced.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-06-2015, 03:11 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
I don't tell them they're saying it wrong, but I do say it correctly when I say it to them.

R is one of the last letters to be pronounced correctly; some children don't master it until grade school.
This.
My younger daughter was one of those kids and needed minor speech therapy (they knew it was something she would outgrow as her mouth muscles developed, but wanted to work with her so it would happen sooner rather than later)

IIRC, we were told to NOT correct her, but to always pronounce correctly back to her if appropriate (as some parents think certain speech issues are "cute" and prolong it by pronouncing the word the same as the child )

There is a big difference between gently correcting a child's grammar, which they can help and learn from, and a speech issue that may be beyond them. Unless you've been given exercises by a speech therapist who is working with that child, I would NOT correct them each time.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-06-2015, 07:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Care View Post
There is a big difference between gently correcting a child's grammar, which they can help and learn from, and a speech issue that may be beyond them. Unless you've been given exercises by a speech therapist who is working with that child, I would NOT correct them each time.
My 6 yo has 3 separate articulation disorders which combine to make him very difficult to understand. His SLPs have always been very adamant that we NOT correct him but only model the words correctly by rephrasing his sentences as we talk to him (which he also likes because it verifies that we understood him correctly). Mostly so that he doesn't feel nagged about his speech all the time but also because of the specific exercises they do and how they do them.

I know it's not the same thing as your case, but just another opinion on why it might not always be best to correct.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-06-2015, 07:16 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My 6 yo has 3 separate articulation disorders which combine to make him very difficult to understand. His SLPs have always been very adamant that we NOT correct him but only model the words correctly by rephrasing his sentences as we talk to him (which he also likes because it verifies that we understood him correctly). Mostly so that he doesn't feel nagged about his speech all the time but also because of the specific exercises they do and how they do them.

I know it's not the same thing as your case, but just another opinion on why it might not always be best to correct.
I 100% agree with this. ^^

Model the proper sounds/words but don't correct.

My child said certain sounds/words incorrectly and was corrected so often that he simply began finding alternative words to use in place of those he had trouble with.

He also developed some really tough self-esteem issues and started being really hard on himself about his inability to say things correctly. It profoundly effected how he felt about himself.

I would leave the correcting to the speech therapist and just stick with role-modeling. Too many people correcting a child can be tough on the child when sometimes he simply wants his message heard without all the technicalities added in. We're daycare/child care not school.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-06-2015, 10:55 AM
renodeb's Avatar
renodeb renodeb is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reno, Nv
Posts: 837
Default

I wouldn't say that I correct but I do make sure that I say things correctly to them and I tell my daughter (she's 12 and around the kids alot) to always say things correctly to them as well.
I have 2 dc boys that are 2 1/2 and they started off calling my daughter "raha" and after a while it turned into Sarah all on it's own. I think things work themselves out mostly on there own. Kids really do learn by example!
Deb
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-06-2015, 10:11 PM
kitkat kitkat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Care View Post
This.
My younger daughter was one of those kids and needed minor speech therapy (they knew it was something she would outgrow as her mouth muscles developed, but wanted to work with her so it would happen sooner rather than later)

IIRC, we were told to NOT correct her, but to always pronounce correctly back to her if appropriate (as some parents think certain speech issues are "cute" and prolong it by pronouncing the word the same as the child )

There is a big difference between gently correcting a child's grammar, which they can help and learn from, and a speech issue that may be beyond them. Unless you've been given exercises by a speech therapist who is working with that child, I would NOT correct them each time.
This is exactly what my concern was and why I haven't corrected. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Sunshine74's Avatar
Sunshine74 Sunshine74 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I 100% agree with this. ^^

Model the proper sounds/words but don't correct.

My child said certain sounds/words incorrectly and was corrected so often that he simply began finding alternative words to use in place of those he had trouble with.

He also developed some really tough self-esteem issues and started being really hard on himself about his inability to say things correctly. It profoundly effected how he felt about himself.

I would leave the correcting to the speech therapist and just stick with role-modeling. Too many people correcting a child can be tough on the child when sometimes he simply wants his message heard without all the technicalities added in. We're daycare/child care not school.
I agree with this, especially the bolded part. I've had a slight lisp since I was in elementary school. I had speech for it for about a school year when I was about 7 or 8, but it wasn't bad enough to continue longer than that. My mom would correct me nicely, but it still made me really self conscious. When I get tired or when I say a lot of words with s's in them (think Dr. Suess ABC book) it is worse, and it still makes me feel self conscious.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-07-2015, 04:54 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My 6 yo has 3 separate articulation disorders which combine to make him very difficult to understand. His SLPs have always been very adamant that we NOT correct him but only model the words correctly by rephrasing his sentences as we talk to him (which he also likes because it verifies that we understood him correctly). Mostly so that he doesn't feel nagged about his speech all the time but also because of the specific exercises they do and how they do them.

I know it's not the same thing as your case, but just another opinion on why it might not always be best to correct.
Thanks! I knew there were reasons behind it, but it's been so long I couldn't remember

It really used to bother me when a DCD who was here at the time would repeat/correct things that DD was saying. It wasn't something she could help and I didn't want her feeling self conscious/embarrassed about it. It's hardly noticeable now, though occasionally I will notice a "lazy" r when she's tired or excited.

All that said, if I had a child in my care with speech issues, I would be asking the parents to have an eval (in my state that is free and painless so there is no reason not to get it done) and go from there. I would also welcome therapists in my home to work with the child if needed, and implement any exercises *they* give me to do.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
speech, speech correction

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mention or Just Correct At Daycare? Kabob Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 01-17-2015 12:59 PM
Speech Delay/Disorders EchoMom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 16 09-09-2014 06:34 AM
OT - What Is "Normal" For A 21 Month Old's Speech Development? Kabob Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 20 10-08-2013 07:17 AM
Speech Question daysofelijah Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 12-17-2010 03:28 PM
Hearing and Speech for Toddlers fctjc1979 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 06-28-2010 01:37 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming