Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Less is More
mamamanda 06:43 AM 07-19-2015
So my group has changed lately with my new policies & I LOVE the group I'll be having full time in 2 weeks. I am having to make some adjustments though b/c my ages are really varied now. I'll have 2 in kindergarten (I teach them here...think experiential learning in a home school environment while still meeting all state standards), 2 in my preschool group, 2 toddlers & 1 infant. I haven't had this many young ones for a very long time. I was finding that there was a lot of dumping going on even from my older ones, but not much playing (at least with the older crew.) The babies dump & play. So I took the idea of Montessori treasure baskets for babies & tweaked it to make it work for us. I took a lot of the toys the babies love like wooden animals, little people pieces, etc & instead of leaving big sets out I chose 4 or 5 pieces from each set & put them in their own small wicker basket at baby's eye level. The rest of the sets are stored in a closet easily accessible to me in case the older kids want to play with them, but now when they dump they're only picking up 5 pieces instead or 30. Much more manageable for this group. Oddly enough, they play more intentionally with fewer pieces. I find that if I store toys in fabric bins where they can't see them, but know where they are then they rarely pull the bins out. If I store the toys on a shelf out in the open or in clear bins then they just dump everything. Anyone else have this issue? I'm trying to find my happy medium
AuntTami 07:15 AM 07-19-2015
This is exactly what I've started doing. I've put my toys with pieces away. They get one box at a time. We still have plenty of toys to play with, dolls; blocks, etc. but my magnet dolls with 500 pieces, the big puzzles, our games, all of it is put on a shelf that they're not allowed to access themselves. They may ask for something on there, then they sit down and play with it, put it away and move on.
I have mostly young kids and I was so tired of cleaning up the messes and having to reorganize everything myself, so I eliminated that.
JoseyJo 07:16 AM 07-19-2015
There is a post on here somewhere about velcro in the bins down. I'll try to find it...
Michael 03:24 PM 07-19-2015
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
There is a post on here somewhere about velcro in the bins down. I'll try to find it...
These are the threads with bins and Velcro: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=velcro
Josiegirl 05:15 PM 07-19-2015
They play intentionally with fewer pieces.
I think you hit the nail on the head with that sentence. I need to downsize all my stuff. Instead I just keep adding to it. 'Tis yard sale season ya know.
Tags:bins, policies, velcro
Reply Up