Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>15m Old Driving Us Insane! Advice?
Unregistered 10:19 AM 08-27-2015
I have currently have 6 all day full-time kids since all my SA kids are back in school - 2 that are 10m, 2 that are 12m, a 13m, and our 15m old. My assistant and I are at WITS END with the 15m old. He is currently the oldest of the group. We spend more time chasing him off of things or away from things are telling him "Lets find something else to do!" with him over and over. I had tried to redirect him...tried some positive discipline by sitting with him and going over a book for a few minutes to give him time to deflate but the moment I let him go he heads right to doing what he was just "punished" for. I don't really believe children before 2 should have a real 'time-out' and so I'm not sure what to do!!! He has been kicking other children, biting them (especially their toes), trying to step and/or climb on them, kicks the little ones in the face when he sits down repeatedly. I pull him away, redirect him, and he just comes right back over and over. He also tries to tickle them but his 'tickling' hurts. He throws outrageous fits when I have to 'help' him move to something more productive.

I found out from DCM last week that she bites his toes and tickles at home so he is copying that here, I've asked her to please work in setting boundaries but it's just gotten worse! Her entire attitude has been "boys will be boys". I've only have the 15m old for two months now and his attitude has changed dramatically from his first week here! I know much of it is his age so I'd like to figure out what works best before the others come upon this age as well.

Anything else I can try?
Missqjulie 10:31 AM 08-27-2015
Yes that would be super annoying. You have to figure out what age group you want to have in your group of kids and stick to that. Also there are kids that are not conducive for group care and actually need nannies. The kicking the little ones in the face or being too rough is a liability. Anyone's eye socket can be broken with as little effort as cracking an egg. If you need the money I would set up an area thats geared toward keeping his attention, where the younger ones can not go. And continue to redirect.
Nisaryn 11:15 AM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by Missqjulie:
Yes that would be super annoying. You have to figure out what age group you want to have in your group of kids and stick to that. Also there are kids that are not conducive for group care and actually need nannies. The kicking the little ones in the face or being too rough is a liability. Anyone's eye socket can be broken with as little effort as cracking an egg. If you need the money I would set up an area thats geared toward keeping his attention, where the younger ones can not go. And continue to redirect.
This! I learned this the hard way...I also had rambunctious 15 month old for a while and after he kept trying to grab kids and strangle them he had to go! Mommy wasn't happy...she had donated a LOT of toys to my daycare, but for the safety of everyone he had to go!
daycarediva 11:26 AM 08-27-2015
He isn't a good fit. Blame it on your program "He is the oldest and bored, he needs a toddler program" and leave it at that.
Reply Up