Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>worried about dck, parents don't seem to care
Crazy Baby 12:17 PM 09-28-2015
I have been watching this dck for almost 2 years now and she has always been exhausted since day one. Since she has gotten older I can see even more signs of exhaustion. Every day she is yawning, falling asleep at meal time, and has a hard time participating in activities because she is trying to keep herself awake.

In the past 6 months, the parents tell me that she no longer wants to nap (2.5 years old) and I have a very hard time putting her to sleep as well. She will be passing out but as soon as I put her down she just sings, talks, or jumps around to keep herself awake.

I have talked to the parents a couple of times about my concerns and they just ignore me every time. I worry about her because she just seems miserable and I think that this could lead to ADHD and/or other health problems. She is always sick and just out of it. When does something like this constitute as neglect? I feel powerless and the only thing I can do for her is make sure that she naps while in my care.
Missqjulie 12:34 PM 09-28-2015
I would continue telling the parents your concerns and encouraging her to take naps. What about stories about nap times and educating her about why they are important? My two year old hates naps as well, but she knows they are important for her to be happy.
Crazy Baby 02:33 PM 09-28-2015
Originally Posted by Missqjulie:
I would continue telling the parents your concerns and encouraging her to take naps. What about stories about nap times and educating her about why they are important? My two year old hates naps as well, but she knows they are important for her to be happy.
Anytime I say anything about their child that isn't completely positive, the parents totally shut down. They don't want to hear it. I don't want to push buttons too much, ya know. Personally, I don't think they are being very mature and doing what is best for the child. Maybe they know better than I.
jenboo 03:20 PM 09-28-2015
Call for pick up anytime she can't participate in your regular activities/schedule due to being too tired.
happymom 03:39 PM 09-28-2015
I was a mom to this child. Exactly.

We had cut out naps when he was 2 and he wasn't sleeping well at night and not going to bed at bedtime nor would he take naps at his daycare. My provider was fine with him not napping, and preferred it to attempting to get him to nap.

I took my child to his 3 year wellness check up and we talked sleep and pediatrician says "he is so sleep deprived, I can tell just by looking at him". Ped told us he needs an earlier bedtime to which I had to contain my laugh.

As a parent, I knew it was bad. My husband and I started making steps towards a much much earlier bedtime. It was really really hard, but we started making progress.

We ended up changing programs due to unrelated reasons. The new daycare requires all children to have a 2 hour rest time. I thought this would be the worst thing in the world for us and for him, but really liked the daycare and wanted to be open minded. Guess who takes naps again?

Our bedtimes have gotten later again, but it's taken so much pressure off of us, and overall my son is so much happier and so are we. Is there any way you can try to establish a napping routine with her that works? It sounds like it would be very beneficial to all involved.

Reply Up