Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The pledge.
laundrymom 05:15 AM 09-30-2015
A comment on another post got me thinking.

Do many of you do the pledge?
We do the months. The days. Sing a variety of songs, but not the pledge. However I would love to add it.
Any suggestions? Opinions?
Do I just start it one day? Our flag is outside. We don't have room for one inside.
Rockgirl 05:59 AM 09-30-2015
We used to....I got out of the habit when I had mostly young toddlers, but I'd like to get back to it!
TXhomedaycare 07:27 AM 09-30-2015
We do the pledge every day and the kids enjoy taking turns holding the flag. My flag is small but it gets the job done.
permanentvacation 08:11 AM 09-30-2015
Yeah, just add it one day. You can get a small flag from Walmart and just hold it while you say the Pledge. And I would think the next question would be 'should we say the 'under God' part?' My answer to that is to call your local public school and ask if they say that part or not and teach your daycare children the way they will be saying it in kindergarten, unless you have your desired preference no matter how the schools say it.

I start my 'school time' with the Pledge just like they will be doing once they get into public school. The kids have free play until everyone is here. Then we have breakfast, then circle time. When they come over for circle time, they remain standing, put their right hand over their heart, look at the flag that I am holding, and recite the Pledge. Then they sit down and we go over the calendar, colors, shapes, etc.

Since my local public school says the 'under God' part, we do too. I've had children of families of various religious beliefs including atheists and have told them that we say the Pledge with with the words 'under God' and it has never been a problem. If you would feel more comfortable about making sure your parents are alright with it, you might want to mention whether or not you will be saying 'under God' in the Pledge with your kids. I suppose, some very extreme people might actually not want their children pledging allegiance to anything in the first place. But I haven't come across anyone like that yet.
daycare 08:30 AM 09-30-2015
I don't know if our schools say it or not, but to me this is what America is about. The flag stands for so many things and all of it equals freedom.

Society today has taken everything away from our children, being an American is more than just getting to live here and enjoy the benefits.

Any school that doesn't say it because of the fact that they say one nation under god, must not like money either, because it's on there too.

To me it's all about how you introduce it, how you focus on it and how you teach what it stands for.

All of my kids that are in my care can say it, may sound a little funny, but they know it all the way from start to end.

can you tell this is a very important thing for me.
daycarediva 08:31 AM 09-30-2015
We do the pledge every day. I printed and laminated a flag, and we take turns holding it up. We put our right hand over our hearts and stand to say it as well (also, remove hats!) It's SUPER CUTE. A dcb a while back would end it with chanting "USA USA USA!" now we all do it.

We also have a song exclusive to our school district called our school community. The kids all learn that quickly.
daycare 08:38 AM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
We do the pledge every day. I printed and laminated a flag, and we take turns holding it up. We put our right hand over our hearts and stand to say it as well (also, remove hats!) It's SUPER CUTE. A dcb a while back would end it with chanting "USA USA USA!" now we all do it.

We also have a song exclusive to our school district called our school community. The kids all learn that quickly.
oh that sounds like a great song. sorry to hijack, but would you mind sharing it?
We are very big into our community, but we don't have any songs.
daycarediva 09:11 AM 09-30-2015
Our school community has people who care,
our school community has people who share,
so look to your left,
and look right, too!
See our community,
me and you!

Hunni Bee 10:10 AM 09-30-2015
We're strongly encouraged to do it at my school. I don't think they truly understand what they are saying, but they do get its one of the ways we show respect and love for our country.

As for not having enough room indoors, our flag is one of the tiny souvenir ones you get at parades and stuff. It works
Annalee 10:13 AM 09-30-2015
I have a dcb5 that goes to the races every weekend. When we are outside he puts his hand on his heart and sings what he knows of the National Anthem and then screams START YOUR ENGINES, then jumps in a coupe car! .....so cute
littletots 10:32 AM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I have a dcb5 that goes to the races every weekend. When we are outside he puts his hand on his heart and sings what he knows of the National Anthem and then screams START YOUR ENGINES, then jumps in a coupe car! .....so cute
Absolutely adorable! 😂
Mariahsaint 11:19 AM 09-30-2015
I don't make the little ones say the Pledge of Allegience, but mainly because I don't believe in forcing children to pledge themselves to something they don't full understand.

They might be forced to do it in school, unless of course a parent has asked for an exemption, but I refuse to be the enforcer.

Should the laws change for whatever reason, I'll allow it, but not with "under god" in it. Thankfully both options are accepted at this time.
Unregistered 11:23 AM 09-30-2015
We do the pledge every morning. We have a poster with the flag pictured on it and the words of the pledge that the children look at when reciting. They also each hold small flags that were purchased at local WM for a few dollars each. They can also be found on amazon. I think it is important and we say the whole thing, Under God and all.
daycare 11:30 AM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by Mariahsaint:
I don't make the little ones say the Pledge of Allegience, but mainly because I don't believe in forcing children to pledge themselves to something they don't full understand.

They might be forced to do it in school, unless of course a parent has asked for an exemption, but I refuse to be the enforcer.

Should the laws change for whatever reason, I'll allow it, but not with "under god" in it. Thankfully both options are accepted at this time.
this can be applied to all things. I don't think any of us would ever force any child to do anything against their will ever.
daycarediva 11:34 AM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
oh my how sweet!!!

I teach them the meaning of the words.

pledge=very serious promise
allegiance=being loyal, standing up for your country
and so on...

if they can say tyrannosaurus rex, they can say anything AND they can understand it. I'm pretty sure 'my' kids will have some awesome vocabularies as well.
originalkat 12:44 PM 09-30-2015
We say the pledge every day as well. We just use a small flag that the kids take turns holding. I just start saying it and they all eventually catch on.

Here is one of my kiddos saying it at 3 yrs old...she is 5 now.
https://www.facebook.com/GreenGateEa...type=2&theater
daycare 12:47 PM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Our school community has people who care,
our school community has people who share,
so look to your left,
and look right, too!
See our community,
me and you!

omg that is so cute.

thanks for sharing so going to steal this
daycare 12:55 PM 09-30-2015
Originally Posted by originalkat:
We say the pledge every day as well. We just use a small flag that the kids take turns holding. I just start saying it and they all eventually catch on.

Here is one of my kiddos saying it at 3 yrs old...she is 5 now.
https://www.facebook.com/GreenGateEa...type=2&theater
omg so cute.. i don't have permission to post, but one of my almost 2 year olds says it. it's not 100 as clear, but you know exactly what they are saying. I will have to ask dcp if I can share it.

I love what children can do if we give them the opportunity. I once had a daycare kid at the age of 1.5 who could play the piano like a pro. Of course, i did not teach him, his mother did, but it was the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my life.

i see teaching them to say the pledge no different than teaching them to sing a song

look at this...so amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFoUO8-CYY8
Reply Up