Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Had to do the Heimlich
Baby Beluga 03:21 PM 10-19-2015
Boy was that scary!

Almost 3 year old was eating mango and a piece became lodged in his throat. I did the Heimlich, piece came out and he is fine now.

My question is, I filled out an incident report to give to DCP's, should I send a text to both mom and dad now or just tell them at pick up what happened?
Rockgirl 03:29 PM 10-19-2015
How scary! I would definitely let them know ASAP. They may want him to be checked out by his doc--it's recommended.
momofapreschooler 03:29 PM 10-19-2015
Great job! Your training and experience Let you take great care of him. You did what you needed to to keep him safe. As a parent, I would want a call or text...baby is fine, but this is what happened. If it were my child, I would be grateful for your fast action but would want to know right away.
DaveA 03:39 PM 10-19-2015
Yes let parents know asap. When I teach First Aid we recommend anyone who was choking to the point of needing the Heimlich should seek follow up care. That especially goes for children.

Glad you were able to do it. Good Job
Thriftylady 04:00 PM 10-19-2015
Good job but I agree with letting know asap and letting parents decide.
Baby Beluga 04:31 PM 10-19-2015
Thank you everyone. For all intense and purposes you are my co-workers Since this was my first time in this position I didn't want to alarm the parents by sending a text but at the same time felt they needed to know asap. I went ahead and sent the text.

Mom and dad thanked me and mom called to get details to see if she should take him in.

Little man is notorious for shoveling food in his mouth. Both at home and here. It is something that has been being worked on for a while.

It was scary for sure - and a first! I have worked with littles since 2007 and have never had to perform the heimlich. But I am so very glad he is okay now.
Crystal 06:19 PM 10-19-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Thank you everyone. For all intense and purposes you are my co-workers Since this was my first time in this position I didn't want to alarm the parents by sending a text but at the same time felt they needed to know asap. I went ahead and sent the text.

Mom and dad thanked me and mom called to get details to see if she should take him in.

Little man is notorious for shoveling food in his mouth. Both at home and here. It is something that has been being worked on for a while.

It was scary for sure - and a first! I have worked with littles since 2007 and have never had to perform the heimlich. But I am so very glad he is okay now.
Yes, they should have him seen. The heimlich can potentially cause internal injures and it is important for a medical evaluation to be conducted.
Unregistered 07:29 PM 10-19-2015
every choking incident at my job requires a visit to the ER for a chest xray to ensure there's no aspiration into the lungs and/or damage to the throat.
Ariana 11:00 AM 10-20-2015
WOW!!! scary! Good for you for saving his life
Reply Up