Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would I Be a Horrible Person
Thriftylady 05:53 PM 10-29-2015
If I didn't offer trick or treat services again? Our TOT is always a weeknight 6-8 PM. DCM had to work so asked me to work out her girls TOT. Luckily DD's class was cancelled tonight so she could take them, because I was using it to advertise. Problem is, that left me two hours to get their homework done, feed them, get them dressed, get their makeup on (why the heck did mom expect me to do make up?). All with two girls who were of course crazy excited. They got back, DD watched my tables outside while I got their showers and their PJs on (a service I provide this family every night due to mom picking up at 8 PM. Maybe I am getting old, but it was all to much. Not to mention that my pain issues and back issues flared up due to it all. I am dying in pain tonight.

So if you read all this, would I be an awful person if I didn't offer TOT services again?
auntymimi 07:08 PM 10-29-2015
Not at all! I provide evening care as well, and I usually am open for saturday, but no way would I take 6 kids tot. Way, way to much, especially on a school night. I asked dcm about this earlier in the month and even she laughed and said no way would I ask you to do that! We are having a big Halloween party tomorrow though with games, treats, and a "haunted" maze made from several giant refrigerator boxes, and a Halloween movie.
Thriftylady 07:32 PM 10-29-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
Not at all! I provide evening care as well, and I usually am open for saturday, but no way would I take 6 kids tot. Way, way to much, especially on a school night. I asked dcm about this earlier in the month and even she laughed and said no way would I ask you to do that! We are having a big Halloween party tomorrow though with games, treats, and a "haunted" maze made from several giant refrigerator boxes, and a Halloween movie.
I only have the two kiddos right now, I can't imagine getting six ready and no way would I have turned DD who is only 17 loose with that many! I just don't think I am game for it again though.
Josiegirl 02:57 AM 10-30-2015
I truly believe if dcfs want their child/ren to participate in TOT THEY need to figure out how to do it with them!!! That is completely NOT in our job description!!! You've been way too kind to already offer as much as you do.
mommiebookworm 07:30 AM 10-30-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I truly believe if dcfs want their child/ren to participate in TOT THEY need to figure out how to do it with them!!! That is completely NOT in our job description!!! You've been way too kind to already offer as much as you do.
I agree!
MarinaVanessa 08:54 AM 10-30-2015
That's a lot of work. I have always only offered to allow the kiddos to be able to come in costume (or bring it in a bag and I would dress them) but I don't do makeup, I don't do showers etc.
KiddieCahoots 09:16 AM 10-30-2015
Thrifty....since when did you throw in the towel as a daycare provider and become a nanny? .......
Blackcat31 10:28 AM 10-30-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
Thrifty....since when did you throw in the towel as a daycare provider and become a nanny? .......
that's kind of what I was thinking too....

I know you have kids over night but still.... there should be limits to what you do and don't do. It's one thing if YOU initiated the whole thing and offered or asked if you could take them TOT but for mom to expect it?

Nope. Just nope.
Unregistered 10:39 AM 10-30-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Yes, yes, yes!
littletots 11:09 AM 10-30-2015
Sometimes we mean so well. You tried it, it didn't work. I wouldn't hsve been so accommodating.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:14 AM 10-30-2015
No you are not horrible. You are a daycare provider. Trick or treating is something a parent or family member should do. I would honestly feel really weird asking my dcp to take my kids trick or treating. I know it is not the same, but it is akin to me asking them to take them to the dentist or shopping for school supplies. It just seems odd, because that is a parent job, imo.
Thriftylady 12:51 PM 10-30-2015
I have wondered about what some of you have said. I guess I am trying really hard to impress mom so she will spread my name around and I will get more calls. But they have been here two and a half months and that hasn't happened yet. The other part of the thing is the problem that many of us have. I do this because I do love the kids, and that just makes it so hard to draw lines sometimes I guess. I need to find a line somewhere between being a loving, caring, dependable provider and not being a doormat. I know many of us struggle with that in different ways. I think next year, me doing TOT is off the table for sure. The hardest part was the two hours between school was there was just so much to do.

I was still getting my booth outside ready and getting them ready. I went all out since I was trying to advertise this year. I had three choices of goodie bags all had candy and then they had either crayons (4), a pencil or a small toy. For the parents, I was providing hot coffee to those who wanted a cup. I had a Halloween CD going, lights hanging on my tables the whole nine yards. I had some people very impressed, but we shall see if they are impressed enough to call or not.
KiddieCahoots 01:32 PM 10-30-2015
All kidding put aside....

You have such a huge heart for the children in your care and their families.
Learning your limits is not going to change how caring you are, but it will make you less stressed and happier.....and that is very important
Controlled Chaos 01:43 PM 10-30-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
All kidding put aside....

You have such a huge heart for the children in your care and their families.
Learning your limits is not going to change how caring you are, but it will make you less stressed and happier.....and that is very important

Unregistered 01:43 AM 11-01-2015
Attention deficit disorder
Thriftylady 05:41 AM 11-01-2015
We found a troll.!
Unregistered 09:17 AM 11-01-2015
Originally Posted by unregistered:
attention deficit disorder
i'm just trying to making a post and figure out where to answer these verification question that come up over and over, that answer is one, furthermore you are very rude
Reply Up