Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pretend Play Props?
momneedscoffee 07:51 AM 03-03-2016
So my 2 3 year old boys are becoming more and more into pretend play than anything else. I am just looking for some ideas for props. I have a few dress up things, am working on making a play kitchen, have play food and dushes, tents, a couple dolls... Is there anything else that seems to be a favorite among the 3 to 4 year old age group (boys). Really needing some good ideas to make it through these last couple months of icky weather
Miss A 08:00 AM 03-03-2016
When I worked as a 3year old preschool assistant, the kids loved when we brought big boxes into the room that were large enough for them to fit into. They would spend days creating the perfect house by decorating the box I side and out with crayons, paper, markers and glue. When the boxes finally had to be retired, it was always sad to see them to.

Provide a lot of open-ended materials, such as paper towel rolls, toilet paper tubes, anything that looks like it can interest a child. They live "natural" materials that they can make their own, and it is very cost effective for you!

Another classroom favorite when I did 3's was "homemade" blocks. Cereal boxes, oatmeal containers, anything. They loved to build towns, houses, barns, and garages with the different shapes.
Cat Herder 08:00 AM 03-03-2016
Flashlights, back packs, orange construction paper (to shred for campfire), twigs (for campfire), cotton balls and tongs (roasting marshmallows over fire), fishing poles/wiffle balls and play tents have been a hit here this week.
Ariana 08:05 AM 03-03-2016
Get a small shoe box and make it into a mailbox for letters and then provide envelopes and paper and stickers for stamps etc. Set up a vet clinic with dr toys and stuffed animals....can also make a pet store with the stuffed animals, fake money, a cash register and phone.

So many options!
childcaremom 08:15 AM 03-03-2016
I have gone to the second hand store and gotten real kitchen items for the kitchen. Kids love it. Also, there are usually some head scratching utensils (as in, what the heck is this) which are always fun to throw in.

Ditto the flashlights and back packs. Also magnifying glasses, binoculars, note pads.

Play money. Purses. Shopping bags. Feather boas.

Old cameras, phones, etc. Computer keyboards. Set up an office.
Laurel 08:29 AM 03-03-2016
I see boxes, mailboxes and a vet clinic have already been said. Those were favorites here as well. We 'doctored' teddy bears, dolls, etc. Teddy bears can wear doll sized clothes also. (think Build a Bear)

Also I threw a big quilt over the dining room table for a tent. Give them flashlights and let them take toys in there to play with. Or play 'cave'. Darken room and move furniture so they can crawl around or under things and give them flashlights.

Add a few accessories to the dress up clothes. Toy watches, wallets, sunglasses, gloves/mittens (they put the gloves on their feet for chicken feet too, lol), keys (plastic ones are fine), rain boots, slippers, lunchboxes, backpacks, etc.

Add accessories to wooden blocks like hot wheel cars, plastic animals, etc.

Things to fill like backpacks, lunchboxes, brown paper lunch bags, plastic grocery type bags. They like to fill them with toys or play store like this.
laundrymom 09:45 AM 03-03-2016
Also, every plastic container hits the playroom before the recycle box.
And mismatched measuring spoons, thread spools, I tossed in a few paintbrushes and rollers. Lol that was a hit!
And clamps. Like big chip clips and work gloves.
Chunks of pvc pipe
Pipe insulation
I bought some replacement mower wheels on clearance. They were a favorite!
Josiegirl 10:31 AM 03-03-2016
Got any old steering wheels hanging around or plastic hoses, those orange plastic cones? Things that'll really make them stop and wonder what they can do with it.
Baskets with handles and those colored Easter eggs.
Josiegirl 10:34 AM 03-03-2016
Completely agree with old keyboards! We have one and it's been a learning experience as far as sharing. Also the old phones(any kind!) are a hit here too.
finsup 10:49 AM 03-03-2016
I brought in one of our cozy coupe cars and set up a auto repair/parts shop (husband is a parts manager and my son loves helping him at work). They could put the car up on the "lift" (wooden blocks), "fix" it with their plastic tools and some real ones (measuring tape, flashlight etc). Also had note pads and pens for "repair orders." They had a lot of fun with it!
Unregistered 11:11 AM 03-03-2016
Fire hats and sections cut from a cheap hose. Mine use these endlessly after each fire drill. They also set up a place to be their pretend safe zone where we all go in case of fire. So it's "outside". Sometimes I set up pop-up tents for their houses (which are always all on fire.)
Unregistered 04:01 AM 03-08-2016
lots of great ideas already! One more is make some simple capes! I just took a pinking shears so I didn't have to heam them and I even glued on the Velcro at the neckline. I don't have a sewing machine!
Tags:play props, pretend play, props
Reply Up