Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>What do I do if I suspect things that shouldn't be going on at DC
Unregistered 05:18 PM 09-01-2009
Hey there...I'm not a parent of a child currently in DC, but I have friends who I work with who have children there now. My kid is older and doesn't require it. Anyway, I have noticed all sorts of wierd things going on at this Day Care Center, and I've spoken with teachers there who confirm. Nothing extremely bad, just things like a teacher who came to work sick with the pink eye and they wouldn't let her go home, parents whose children come home without underwear or socks or whose children go around barefooted all day; Kids who are swapped around between teachers all day; managers who don't show up for days to work because they are family members of the owner; Teacher who spanked one of the children without permission; a cook who caught the kitchen on fire and the management wouldn't let the kids go outside because she was afraid a parent might notice what had happened --- and a host of other things. I don't want to cause any panic among the parents but I am very concerned for the kids there. Does this go on everywhere? Am I blowing this out of porportion? Who do I contact about this?

This particular daycare is touted as being one of the best in the state and they advertise on local radio about being so concerned for the child's well-being and that they cost more because they are more --- baloney! Any comments??
Unregistered 06:50 AM 09-03-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hey there...I'm not a parent of a child currently in DC, but I have friends who I work with who have children there now. My kid is older and doesn't require it. Anyway, I have noticed all sorts of wierd things going on at this Day Care Center, and I've spoken with teachers there who confirm. Nothing extremely bad, just things like a teacher who came to work sick with the pink eye and they wouldn't let her go home, parents whose children come home without underwear or socks or whose children go around barefooted all day; Kids who are swapped around between teachers all day; managers who don't show up for days to work because they are family members of the owner; Teacher who spanked one of the children without permission; a cook who caught the kitchen on fire and the management wouldn't let the kids go outside because she was afraid a parent might notice what had happened --- and a host of other things. I don't want to cause any panic among the parents but I am very concerned for the kids there. Does this go on everywhere? Am I blowing this out of porportion? Who do I contact about this?

This particular daycare is touted as being one of the best in the state and they advertise on local radio about being so concerned for the child's well-being and that they cost more because they are more --- baloney! Any comments??
It's the overall shady-ness and wanting to hide things that is very concerning. Also the lack of management making sure employees are there and that if they are there they are healthy. I would contact the licensing division of the area you are in and make a report.
ConcernedMotherof2 11:23 AM 09-03-2009
My kids went to a center that was run much like the one you're describing. Most of the information I obtained was from one of the employees who had the most interraction with my kids. After some talking about her minimum wage pay and how stressed I was over paying so much when the one actually caring for my child got so little, she put in her two weeks notice and I did as well. She was my nanny for about a year after that until I moved and during that time, I paid her what I had been paying the center.
AmandasFCC 12:02 PM 09-04-2009
I would contact the child care referral agency in your area to find out what to do. You'll probably end up in touch with whoever does the licensing in your area. Good luck
Unregistered 07:47 AM 09-10-2009
As a child care regulator I strongly encourage you to report your concerns to the agency who handles regulating child care in your area. A good place to start if you don't have any contact information, is your local Department of Human Services or Family Services. They can give you the name and number of the person in your area you need to speak with.

Although child care regulations vary between states, what you have described leaves me concerned. We always encourage parents or other individuals to call with their concerns. Although we do our best to monitor the regulated child care centers and homes in our area, we still can't be there every day. We rely on parents and other concerned citizens to voice their concerns so that we can follow up on them. The safety of the children is first and foremost. Even if the regulator visits and is not able to substantiate anything, it is better to voice your concerns.

Never hesitate to speak up if you are concerned about the safety and well-being of a child. They can't always speak for themselves!
Unregistered 11:32 AM 09-21-2009
The parents will complain if they have a problem. Why are you talking to the teachers there if you don't have a child there?
AslansG1rl 12:36 PM 08-12-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The parents will complain if they have a problem. Why are you talking to the teachers there if you don't have a child there?

The parents won't complain if they don't know what is happening.

ANYTIME YOU FEEL SOMEONE IS IN HARMS WAY YOU REPORT IT.

THE BIG MYTH IS "SOMEONE ELSE WILL TAKE CARE OF THIS, IT ISNT MY BUSINESS..." BS. If you even THINK something harmful is happening to someone, YOU REPORT.

Maybe it's nothing, but then again, maybe you save someones life by reporting....
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 08-12-2014
Originally Posted by AslansG1rl:
The parents won't complain if they don't know what is happening.

ANYTIME YOU FEEL SOMEONE IS IN HARMS WAY YOU REPORT IT.

THE BIG MYTH IS "SOMEONE ELSE WILL TAKE CARE OF THIS, IT ISNT MY BUSINESS..." BS. If you even THINK something harmful is happening to someone, YOU REPORT.

Maybe it's nothing, but then again, maybe you save someones life by reporting....
Good information...however, this thread is from 2009.

...just in case you were looking for a reply from unregistered poster.
BrooklynM 12:42 PM 08-12-2014
Anything involving child safety such as spanking by a daycare should be reported immediately. Barefoot kids? UH, you would need to report me daily. I can't keep these toddlers in their shoes, they love being barefoot! If they are walking in places they shouldn't be barefoot, then that is a safety concern.

Honestly, I am a bit confused why you wouldn't just call this in and would just post this in the forum. If you are really concerned, you need to report this and let the licensing department take over and judge for themselves.
BrooklynM 12:43 PM 08-12-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Good information...however, this thread is from 2009.

...just in case you were looking for a reply from unregistered poster.
oops, I should have looked at the date, lol.
Blackcat31 12:44 PM 08-12-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
oops, I should have looked at the date, lol.
Lay off the Play-doh...
BrooklynM 12:48 PM 08-12-2014
Lay off the Play-doh...
Man, you caught me! I was mid-sniff!
KidGrind 04:13 PM 08-12-2014
Lay off the Play-doh...
Yes and please give me some!

Brooklyn, I’ve done it too!
Reply Up