Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Woowee Baby!
Heidi 03:10 PM 06-19-2012
I have a little guy here pt (4 5-hour days a week). 7months old.

Cry baby, man!

This is week 3. The first two weeks, he screamed every second he wasnt held or sleeping (one hour at a time, once in that time period). Mom took him to doc at the end of 1st week, and he had a double ear infection. It took a while, but that helped A LITTLE!

He still seems to expect the universe to revolve around him. Trying to encourage his 8 yo sister NOT to react to every cry and let him go a little is not easy. I think she thinks I'm torturing the poor guy. But really, if he plays for 7 minutes without crying it's a miracle. He's not crawling yet, barely sits up, can't get back into a sitting position from tummy. I think he's capable, but he's just so irritable that he won't try. Just falls onto his tummy from sitting, scootches around a little, and then SCREAMS BLOODY MURDER.

Any Ideas ladies? Oh, and please don't tell me to put him in a back pack. Not happening here.

BTW, right now they're 2nd shift..3:30-8:30. July 1st they go to 10:30-3:30, then the next trick will be to get him on our nap schedule. From the notes mom gives me (we trade a notebook) , he's definately NOT on one now. ..

My precious...
my precious...

Nap time! lol
Attached: gollumface.jpg (28.9 KB) 
cheerfuldom 03:33 PM 06-19-2012
sounds WAY over tired. sorry, but this is not going to change until he is on a consistent schedule and napping well. poor thing. this is his mom's job to adjust and get him on a schedule, not yours. sounds like a sit down conversation is in order and agreeing to a routine that you both will follow is what is necessary. if the parents cant or wont stick to a routine, this is probably just the way he will be until he is much older. part time infants have the hardest time at daycare.
Lilbutterflie 03:40 PM 06-19-2012
Oh boy. That is a really tough one, he is part time AND his schedule with you will be changing.

Is this normal for him? I would be completely upfront with mom about how often he is crying with you and ask her if he is that way for her.

I don't really have any advice to give other than to get mom involved. She needs to get him on a schedule and STICK to it; and she needs to try to get him to play independently at home without being carried around. And I would want to rule out any physical reasons he might be crying like colic, etc... (but it sounds like mom has been getting doctor involved so this might not be an issue).
Heidi 05:13 PM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Oh boy. That is a really tough one, he is part time AND his schedule with you will be changing.

Is this normal for him? I would be completely upfront with mom about how often he is crying with you and ask her if he is that way for her.

I don't really have any advice to give other than to get mom involved. She needs to get him on a schedule and STICK to it; and she needs to try to get him to play independently at home without being carried around. And I would want to rule out any physical reasons he might be crying like colic, etc... (but it sounds like mom has been getting doctor involved so this might not be an issue).
Yes, mom has been trying to be very pro-active with me. I think she will be ok with getting him on a schedule. She waited over 4 months for an opening with me, called me every month to check in. There is just not a lot of infant care in our area that takes state funding and is willing to do pt. The only reason I was willing is because it was 5 days, so a schedule can be done. We just have to get through the next week-and-a-half.

Since he will be arriving at 10:30, he can't possibly sleep after 10 am, so I can get him on a schedule, I think. I just need to make sure mom MAKES him take a morning nap at the same time each morning so that he doesn't fall asleep for 10 minutes in the car here, then crabs and screams all through lunch.

I have been VERY open with her about the level of crying. I know she is frustrated with it as well, as she is trying to take classes online fulltime and work part time, and be a good mom to two kids, all w/o much help from the father.
Lilbutterflie 06:13 PM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Yes, mom has been trying to be very pro-active with me. I think she will be ok with getting him on a schedule. She waited over 4 months for an opening with me, called me every month to check in. There is just not a lot of infant care in our area that takes state funding and is willing to do pt. The only reason I was willing is because it was 5 days, so a schedule can be done. We just have to get through the next week-and-a-half.

Since he will be arriving at 10:30, he can't possibly sleep after 10 am, so I can get him on a schedule, I think. I just need to make sure mom MAKES him take a morning nap at the same time each morning so that he doesn't fall asleep for 10 minutes in the car here, then crabs and screams all through lunch.

I have been VERY open with her about the level of crying. I know she is frustrated with it as well, as she is trying to take classes online fulltime and work part time, and be a good mom to two kids, all w/o much help from the father.
Good to hear mom is on board with you in trying to stop the screaming. Definitely talk to her about a VERY consistent schedule that works with both of your schedules. The more consistency, the better he will be! Good luck!
pootmcgoot 06:41 PM 06-19-2012
This is the age I sleep trained my dd. she still naps at 10 and 2 at 18 months. He sounds like my dd before a nap schedule. A lovey and white noise sped up the training. As soon as she has her sleep doll and the white noise is cranked high she's out. Sleep associations were the only thing that weaned her off of the rocking/falling asleep on me/sleeping in bouncy chair.
Heidi 02:46 PM 06-20-2012
Anyone have any ideas on a good schedule? Right now, he's here unti 8:30 & doesnt get to bed until 10 ish, then sleeps until almost 10.

Older sister goes to bed at 7:30, so lets say mom gets him down at 8...She has to leave the house at 10:15am to get him to daycare, and all my dc kids nap 12:30-3:30...and some days I have to wake them up...

I want to write out a schedule, and I have already told her that I expect her to follow it on the weekends for a while. If that means she doesn't get to "sleep in" on the weekends, she will have to put on her big girl panties on that one, or she'll end up with no daycare. I know it'll be tough, though!
Tags:holding - too long, screams all day
Reply Up