Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Handle Service People?
Baby Beluga 03:35 PM 03-11-2015
How do you handle when service people come to your FCC to do work? Do you schedule it during DC hours? Are parents ever upset when a service person is there?
Josiegirl 03:44 PM 03-11-2015
I assume you're asking about people who come into your home to do work, repairing or installing things, etc.?
I've had a couple different people work for me at several different times. There wasn't any other time they were available. I wish there was because the kids are curious and it can be exhausting to keep them out of the way.
I think my dcps are understanding about it; they've never complained so I assume they understood?
There are certain things I've had to put off because it would be too inconvenient. I'd love to redo my kitchen and I'd have to take time off for that project. Plus my bathroom could use some work and obviously we couldn't go without that room either.
Baby Beluga 03:47 PM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I assume you're asking about people who come into your home to do work, repairing or installing things, etc.?
I've had a couple different people work for me at several different times. There wasn't any other time they were available. I wish there was because the kids are curious and it can be exhausting to keep them out of the way.
I think my dcps are understanding about it; they've never complained so I assume they understood?
There are certain things I've had to put off because it would be too inconvenient. I'd love to redo my kitchen and I'd have to take time off for that project. Plus my bathroom could use some work and obviously we couldn't go without that room either.
Yes, contractors...I was trying to come up with the word and my brain wasn't cooperating well I always feel bad when I have to schedule something during DC hours, but am not sure there is a way around it. They are always small jobs anyway lasting no more then a couple of hours.
Heidi 04:01 PM 03-11-2015
I just let them come, but mostly only during waking time.

Since we live in a rural community, we pretty much "know" all the guys. The plumber, the appliance guy (my husband's friend since 9th grade, 38 years later).

I try to keep the kids out of the way. Sometimes we just go outside or for a walk. Hey, it's Mayberry, folks!
Josiegirl 04:05 PM 03-11-2015
A few years ago, I had to have my back foundation redone. It took about a month to dig out, pour cement, and rebuild. It was right in our backyard where the kids play. We took lots of walks then. And we'd go up in the driveway next door to us(nobody lived there then), sit down and watch the big machinery. That was pretty cool. But it was a pita not having access to our backyard all that time.
DaveA 05:52 AM 03-12-2015
I just schedule during daycare hours and let parents know someone will be there. Small town, so they probably know them anyway. If it's an emergency I text parents and let them know what is going on. The only time I've had something going on inside the contractors and I went through the schedule every morning and figured out when would be good times to be out of the house. The other major work has been outside (storm repair and fence construction) so it was more of a cool thing for kids to watch than a hassle.

Any regularly scheduled people I would give the parents a chance to meet. A family friend who is my sub cleans houses for a living, and she comes every other week during daycare hours so kids and parents are used to her.
originalkat 06:01 AM 03-12-2015
I have them come during daycare hours. Honestly, it never crossed my mind to let the parents know. In fact, on the few occasions I need someone to come out it isn't even pre-scheduled. Now if I was having construction or a long term project done then I would let them know. I do not see it as an issue and I do not think any parent would think twice about it.
Unregistered 06:13 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I have them come during daycare hours. Honestly, it never crossed my mind to let the parents know. In fact, on the few occasions I need someone to come out it isn't even pre-scheduled. Now if I was having construction or a long term project done then I would let them know. I do not see it as an issue and I do not think any parent would think twice about it.
Me too. Service people during daycare hours are big excitement here--kind of like the trash truck or seeing a bulldozer go down the street. My dcp always take the day off and bring their kids to daycare, if someone is coming to their house, so as long as I'm still open, they're good.
permanentvacation 06:36 AM 03-12-2015
For me, it depends on the work that will be done, the length of time they will be here, how often I think I will need to be with the workers rather than my daycare kids, and how loud they will probably be. Sometimes, I have my substitute work that day so I can monitor the workers. If I'm pretty sure they will be quite enough, but I will have to be involved a little with them, or if they will be working in the bathroom (I only have one bathroom) I schedule the work during nap time. In my area, I can leave the sleeping children and go on one floor away from them for a short time. I'm in a townhouse and the daycare is on the main floor. So I can go upstairs or in the basement during nap time. If I think they will be loud, or not need me with them, I schedule it while the kids are awake.

I keep the children away from the workers so they don't get hurt or in the men's way. If the work is being done outside, the kids watch through the window. They are very curious and excited about the work truck, machinery, and workers doing their jobs.
jenboo 07:43 AM 03-12-2015
Schedule during daycare hours. I don't feel the need to notify parents. The kids are not going to be left alone with the workers.
sharlan 08:13 AM 03-12-2015
I don't notify the parents in advance. I just keep the kids out of their way.

I had my downstairs painted back in Oct. Sears repair has been here several times in the past week and should be returning soon. I have the fire extinguisher guy coming today. (He was scheduled for yesterday and forgot.)
Baby Beluga 08:24 AM 03-12-2015
Thanks everyone

We've had quite a few things done over the past few months that required a contractor to be here for an hour or so. The contractors are never alone with the kids - nor are we near them really (separate DC room). I have never notified parents for this reason, but was curious as to how other providers handled this.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:28 AM 03-12-2015
We pretty much stare at them the whole time they're working and call it curriculum! :-) Seriously, picture us all lined up in a row, watching, or with our clipboards, drawing what they're doing. And asking millions of questions.

On the "concern" side, they are never out of my sight when the children are present.
Josiegirl 09:39 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Me too. Service people during daycare hours are big excitement here--kind of like the trash truck or seeing a bulldozer go down the street. My dcp always take the day off and bring their kids to daycare, if someone is coming to their house, so as long as I'm still open, they're good.
Haha my kids are excited to watch the oil man deliver fuel.

Can't say I feel the same.
Blackcat31 09:42 AM 03-12-2015
Well my DH is my "contractor" so the kids and families already know him so it's really not an issue.

However, any major construction or remodeling work that needs to be done must be done outside of daycare hours (or I need to close for the day/days) as we are not permitted to have certain types of work done while kids are present.
daycarediva 09:50 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Well my DH is my "contractor" so the kids and families already know him so it's really not an issue.

However, any major construction or remodeling work that needs to be done must be done outside of daycare hours (or I need to close for the day/days) as we are not permitted to have certain types of work done while kids are present.
Same. Dh does all of our work. He IS a contractor.

We did have our deck rebuilt and dh hired a couple of guys to help. It took 6 days total, and 4 of those were daycare days. Then dh had to sand and stain it/weatherproof it, which took an additional day. I notified parents and licensing (it was my secondary egress route, big fiasco). Everyone was fine with it, and one of my dcms brought them a case of bottled water and subs in a cooler, and several of the Moms stayed to watch the work being done with their kids. (one of my dh's employees/friends is pretty *ahem* cute)
Jack Sprat 11:39 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
We pretty much stare at them the whole time they're working and call it curriculum! :-) Seriously, picture us all lined up in a row, watching, or with our clipboards, drawing what they're doing. And asking millions of questions.

On the "concern" side, they are never out of my sight when the children are present.
This is so my group right now!

We are having our roof done in a few weeks. I know the dck's will be so excited! Tin on top of shingles so fingers crossed little mess. Now, the noise that will be another issue.
Baby Beluga 01:06 PM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Same. Dh does all of our work. He IS a contractor.

We did have our deck rebuilt and dh hired a couple of guys to help. It took 6 days total, and 4 of those were daycare days. Then dh had to sand and stain it/weatherproof it, which took an additional day. I notified parents and licensing (it was my secondary egress route, big fiasco). Everyone was fine with it, and one of my dcms brought them a case of bottled water and subs in a cooler, and several of the Moms stayed to watch the work being done with their kids. (one of my dh's employees/friends is pretty *ahem* cute)
You two are lucky! DH is a tech guy and we both have zero skills when it comes to this stuff.
daycare 01:18 PM 03-12-2015
I sometimes can notify the paretns and sometimes cant.

I tell them at the time of enrollment that we may have service people come in and out and just like anyone else coming in or out I never leave them out of my sight. I don't leave the kids unsupervised ever, so this would be no different.

I fully expect my DCP to trust that I would never let anyone in my home that I would think would hurt anyone. I know there are some sick people out there, but we can't be protected from everything in life.

I would just plan to play outside or away from where the service is being conducted. There are things that can wait and there are things that can't. I refuse to give up my weekends with my family so that the TV man can come when he is more than able to come during DC hours. It's not like he's going to join class or circle time.....
Daycare Insurance 04:45 PM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
How do you handle when service people come to your FCC to do work? Do you schedule it during DC hours? Are parents ever upset when a service person is there?
I would highly suggest checking with your licensing representative on this. They may have specific guidelines which reference service visits. There may be a specific protocol for dealing with these issues during child care hours.
Laurel 07:18 PM 03-12-2015
It is against licensing regulations here. We have to have things done on weekends or evenings or close.

Laurel
Tags:handyman, repairman
Reply Up