Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Fever Policies
worriedmom2 09:01 AM 02-19-2010
What is the highest temperature most daycares allow to still allow the child to come to daycare. My daycare is 102, and you are allowed to go there during the day and give them tylenol to get their temp down, and if the parent can't make it there, the daycare will give it to them as needed so they can stay. That doesn't seem right to me. What are other daycare's policies? Thanks!
momofboys 09:49 AM 02-19-2010
Originally Posted by worriedmom2:
What is the highest temperature most daycares allow to still allow the child to come to daycare. My daycare is 102, and you are allowed to go there during the day and give them tylenol to get their temp down, and if the parent can't make it there, the daycare will give it to them as needed so they can stay. That doesn't seem right to me. What are other daycare's policies? Thanks!
Wow! That's way too lenient in my opinion. A child that ill needs to be away from other kids. I'm sure they also wouldn't feel up to playing. My policy is 100.4. Anything higher & the parent needs to come get the child.
Pammie 09:52 AM 02-19-2010
My illness policy is that children may not attend daycare with fevers of 102 or higher and must be fever-free for 24 hours before returning to care, and parents are expected *not* to mask a fever with Tylenol/Motrin prior to drop-off.
With written authorization on file and a phone order (approval) from parents, I can administer Tylenol/Motrin for fevers 100-101.9: Provided there are no other signs of illness present, and that the parents have provided the medication. If the temperature reduces with the medication, and there are no other symptoms of illness present, the child may remain in daycare. However, if the fever does not respond to the medication within 1 hour, then the parents are called and the child is sent home.
Just my policy-
Pammie
momma2girls 10:04 AM 02-19-2010
my policy is with the Dr.'s and schools policy, anything over 100 degrees.
Crystal 10:14 AM 02-19-2010
100.5 or higher, fever must be gone for 24 hours without medication.

Check licensing regs for your area, most states have policies regarding exclusion or isolation of ill children.
momma2girls 10:24 AM 02-19-2010
What are most daycare's fever policy in the infant rooms? My daycare is they have to go home at 102 and parents can come and give Tylenol so that it doesn't get up to 102, and if the parents can't come, the daycare will give it to them. That doesn't seem right to me, so I'm just curious what other daycares' policies are. THANKS!
No, this isn't right at all. Fevers are very contagious especially to infants. They shouldn't even be there over 100 degrees!!! I would check their licensing stipulations with the state!! If any child has a fever over 100 degrees, parents should be called immediately, and children should be seperated til parents arrive for pick up!!!
SimpleMom 11:22 AM 02-19-2010
In my state, policy states that if it reaches 101 they have to stay home for 24 hrs AFTER the fever has diminished. It also states that if the child appears fussy, and just "not themself" that's something they need to stay home for until they are back to normal or with a doctor's note.

I'm very particular with the rules on illnesses. I try to be flexible, but illness can run through a daycare so quick and it's not fair to the others in care, the other parents who will miss work, or myself if I allow a sick child to stay and infect everyone else. Like I said, I do try to be fair and flexible. If it's teething or something like that and they have a runny nose/cough...I'll work with it. Fevers I don't. Fevers are certain indicators of infection that the body is trying to fight off.
tenderhearts 11:29 AM 02-19-2010
Our state policy is 100 degrees, and they need to be fever free for 24 hours before returning. In my opinion when kids develop a fever they have already possibly infected the other kids before they even got the fever, that's why all my parents still choose to bring their kids if my own kids are sick. But kids would rather be home with mommy or daddy when they aren't feeling well anyways.
tymaboy 02:04 PM 02-19-2010
Mine is if 100 or higher they go home & they must be fever free for 24 hours with medication.
worriedmom2 06:07 AM 02-21-2010
Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I would like to take your advice and check the licensing stipulations with the state. This daycare center is in Ankeny, Iowa. Does anyone know where I can find that information? Is it online somewhere? Thank you so much!
momma2girls 08:41 AM 02-21-2010
Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I would like to take your advice and check the licensing stipulations with the state. This daycare center is in Ankeny, Iowa. Does anyone know where I can find that information? Is it online somewhere? Thank you so much!
I am in Iowa as well. Maybe check with the DHS guidelines for centers. I know I go by the schools and DR. you are contagious if you have a fever of 100 degrees or higher!!
originalkat 10:59 AM 02-21-2010
Kids get sent home at 100 degrees or higher and may not return until no symptoms for 24 hours or with DR note.
Michael 12:37 PM 02-21-2010
You can find related Iowa information from page 96 to 101 here: https://www.daycare.com/iowa/iowa_da...quirements.htm
Former Teacher 03:54 PM 02-21-2010
It is 100.4 here in TX. State reps have been known to demand that a child's temp be taken right there in front of them.

Our center policy was basically the same thing from what I am reading. Fever free 24 hours etc.

I can write a book about the number of parents that would pick up their child at 4 p.m. and yet still be there bright eyed bushy tailed at 7:00 a.m. with their child.

Another example: One Monday morning no one was there yet I, for whatever reason, decided to look into the infant room log book. I saw that "Logan" was sent home Friday afternoon with a fever of over 102. Logan normally came into the center around 8:30. This Monday, he was there at 6:45 a.m. because she just had to be at work early. I went to take Logan from her and he felt very hot to me. I said to the mother that Logan felt warm to me. The excuse? "it was hot in the car". I said "well I am going to take his temp to be on the safe side"...and.."more so since he went home Friday". Mom was furious. She ranted and raved about how it was over 48 hours and he had no fever yadda yadda yadda.

Meantime I was taking Logan's temp and sure enough it was almost 101. I told mom that I couldn't keep him. Mom said for me to give him Tylenol. I said 1. I can't because I needed a Dr.s note and 2. she still needed to take him home. The earliest he may come back is Wednesday, provided that he didn't run a fever.

We received a call later that day. She was going to be coming by to pick up his belongings because she didn't like our policies and we weren't understanding that some parents had to work to pay their daycare bill!
Daycare Mommy 04:08 PM 02-21-2010
I send em home at 100 degrees without meds or possibly lower depending on how they are acting. If they were fine yesterday and then come in lethargic with a runny nose and a slight fever I'll call mom to pick up because you know it's coming on. I mostly care for older preschoolers so teething isn't something I have to worry about distinguishing from illnesses. They stay out for 24 hours after they are fever free without meds.
MarinaVanessa 10:01 AM 02-24-2010
100 degrees is my limit. I, however will accept a child that is taking medicine to reduce fever and will administer it as long as I have the parent sign a consent, leave a NEW and UNOPENED bottle with me and give clear written instructions on the doses and times to give it.
Tags:fever
Reply Up