Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Vaccinated??
Soupyszoo 08:44 AM 03-06-2012
Do any of you accept dcks that are not vaccinated? I'm sure per starte regs it's required, right? Who watches the kids who's parents choose not to vaccinate?

I have a dcg who I suspect is not vaccinated. Two of my other family's are worried that their kids could be compromised. I'm in the process of getting licensed so when I took in my family's this wasn't something I considered. Yes, I've been learning A LOT since starting

My first thought was that the dcg who is not vaccinated would be the one in the most danger of catching something, but she could also be the one bringing in disease. Regardless, I know you cannot force anyone to vaccinate their kids, but it can be required to continue care, right?

I know when my kids ever went to daycare or even school it was required. So on a side note, who cares for the kids who are NOT vaccinated??

Btw there is no "disease" in my home. But I'd like to keep it that way, and keep all my families feeling safe having their kids here
sharlan 08:52 AM 03-06-2012
I do not accept kids who are not vaccinated. It's the parent's choice not to vaccinate and my choice not to accept them.
littlemissmuffet 08:53 AM 03-06-2012
I accept children in my care who are not vaccinated - I don't ask why they don't vaccinate either, as it's none of my business... I only ask if they are or are not. Many Jehovah's Witnesses will not vaccinate, those who believe vacination can cause serious complications such as autism, etc will not vaccinate.

I made the choice to accept non-vaccinated children because I don't think I will vaccinate my child either. I am in Canada and legally unlicensed, so it's not required for my daycare if I don't want it to be.

The only major "disease" issues I have had are with chicken pox... and both cases were children who WERE vaccinated for it.
littlemommy 08:54 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
Do any of you accept dcks that are not vaccinated? I'm sure per starte regs it's required, right? Who watches the kids who's parents choose not to vaccinate?

I have a dcg who I suspect is not vaccinated. Two of my other family's are worried that their kids could be compromised. I'm in the process of getting licensed so when I took in my family's this wasn't something I considered. Yes, I've been learning A LOT since starting

My first thought was that the dcg who is not vaccinated would be the one in the most danger of catching something, but she could also be the one bringing in disease. Regardless, I know you cannot force anyone to vaccinate their kids, but it can be required to continue care, right?

I know when my kids ever went to daycare or even school it was required. So on a side note, who cares for the kids who are NOT vaccinated??

Btw there is no "disease" in my home. But I'd like to keep it that way, and keep all my families feeling safe having their kids here
Being non vaccinated does not sentence them to getting the disease. It's a parental choice, and they can legally send their children to school without being vaccinated. IMO, the other parents have nothing to worry about, especially if their kids ARE vaccinated, because then they should be deemed "safe."

I would not be afraid to care for non vaccinated children. If any child starts showing symptoms of something questionable, I require a doctor's note before they can come back. No reason to worry otherwise.
Blackcat31 08:56 AM 03-06-2012
I have two non-vaccinated kids. THEY are the ones at risk more so than the vaccinated kids IMHO.

I NEVER discuss who is and isn't vaccinated with parents so they have no idea who, if anyone, is or isn't. That is a confidential matter.
littlemommy 08:58 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I accept children in my care who are not vaccinated - I don't ask why they don't vaccinate either, as it's none of my business... I only ask if they are or are not. Many Jehovah's Witnesses will not vaccinate, those who believe vacination can cause serious complications such as autism, etc will not vaccinate.

I made the choice to accept non-vaccinated children because I don't think I will vaccinate my child either. I am in Canada and legally unlicensed, so it's not required for my daycare if I don't want it to be.

The only major "disease" issues I have had are with chicken pox... and both cases were children who WERE vaccinated for it.
My 2 year old has been fully vaccinated (with the exception of the chicken pox vaccine...which he will not be getting.) My 6 week old has not been vaccinated and I may not have her vaccinated at all. It's our decision whether we do or not. I've never had daycare parents ask about my children's or other DC children's vaccine history. I'm sure they figure if their child is fully vacc'd that they are safe.
Breezy 08:58 AM 03-06-2012
I only accept vaccinated kids. I have infants in my care they may not have had all shots because of their age therefore I need to make sure they are protected.
Soupyszoo 08:59 AM 03-06-2012
My vaccinated family's are worried and in not so many words said that dcbs could not come if unvaccinated dcg was here. They don't like unvaccinated dcgs mother so I'm thinking it's more of a personal vendetta against her. I would rather everyone just get along
MrsB 09:05 AM 03-06-2012
My first point, by not vaccinating it is placing the child who is not vaccinated at more risk than the child who is vaccinated. I see no problem caring for a child that is not vaccinated just be up to date on the signs and symptoms of most of these types of diseases.

My states rules are SUPER strict, all daycare providers HAVE to be licensed. All licensing is ran by the board of education so we have the same immunization requirements as the schools. To be able to enroll in any daycare or public/private school. You have to vaccinate unless you claim a religious exemption. But that is the only exemption they allow. I have had parents come and say i vaccinate all except the chicken pox or whatever. Not allowed, if you claim the religious exemption then you claim all immunizations. If you get some vaccinations you can't claim the religious exemption later. So here you can choose not to vaccinate or vaccinate only some but unless it is religious reasons you can't enroll in school or daycare.
Soupyszoo 09:08 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have two non-vaccinated kids. THEY are the ones at risk more so than the vaccinated kids IMHO.

I NEVER discuss who is and isn't vaccinated with parents so they have no idea who, if anyone, is or isn't. That is a confidential matter.
Yep! I didn't bring it up, they brought it up to me. That's why I kind of think they are "fishing" for drama..
sahm2three 09:10 AM 03-06-2012

If you are confident in what your vaccinations are supposed to do, then why would you be worried?
Blackcat31 09:15 AM 03-06-2012
Yep! I didn't bring it up, they brought it up to me. That's why I kind of think they are "fishing" for drama..
In that case, any time the topic comes up I would cut them off immediatley and simply say "I do not discuss other families." and walk away.
itlw8 09:20 AM 03-06-2012
Our kids have to be vaccinated except you can get an exemption... makes sense huh? It used to be the parents could get the form and sign it. Now they MUST go to the dr for the form and every time it is time for a vaccine they must discuss it with the dr again.

If they showed them the movie from the health dept most of those would be first in line to get vaccineated. It was as bad as those drivers ed films about not stopping for the train.
DCBlessings27 09:21 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:

My states rules are SUPER strict, all daycare providers HAVE to be licensed. All licensing is ran by the board of education so we have the same immunization requirements as the schools. To be able to enroll in any daycare or public/private school. You have to vaccinate unless you claim a religious exemption. But that is the only exemption they allow. I have had parents come and say i vaccinate all except the chicken pox or whatever. Not allowed, if you claim the religious exemption then you claim all immunizations. If you get some vaccinations you can't claim the religious exemption later. So here you can choose not to vaccinate or vaccinate only some but unless it is religious reasons you can't enroll in school or daycare.
My state also requires that all providers are licensed. Ours is run by the dept. of health and environment. The only way to get out of vaccinations if you want to send your child to a daycare, preschool, or school is to claim a religious exemption. You can't pick and choose though--exemption or all vaccinations. My surveyor said she argued with a father on the phone because he didn't want his daughter to get the chicken pox vaccine. My surveyor said that was fine, but he wouldn't be allowed to send his child to a daycare in my state.

When I first started, I had 2 pt kids whose parents had signed the religious exemption. They didn't do it for religious reasons though; mom was a homeopathic chiropractor. My sis-in-law had them in her daycare before I did, and she thinks they got some of the vaccinations but not all and still signed the form. I termed those kids but not due to vaccinations--dcb was out of control.
sahm2three 09:27 AM 03-06-2012
If a state tried to tell me or my daycare parents that they HAD to vaccinate their children no matter what their/my views were, I would be DONE with this job! Sorry, my son almost died from a vaccine! I won't put my kids in that kind of danger again! I choose to keep my families bodies as healthy as we can and let them fight things off. My two older kids are fully vaccinated, my youngest had a TERRIBLE reaction at the age of 1 and we decided to do our research and chose to not vaccinate further. No one is going to tell me I HAVE to do ANYTHING with my own child!
MrsB 09:33 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
If a state tried to tell me or my daycare parents that they HAD to vaccinate their children no matter what their/my views were, I would be DONE with this job! Sorry, my son almost died from a vaccine! I won't put my kids in that kind of danger again! I choose to keep my families bodies as healthy as we can and let them fight things off. My two older kids are fully vaccinated, my youngest had a TERRIBLE reaction at the age of 1 and we decided to do our research and chose to not vaccinate further. No one is going to tell me I HAVE to do ANYTHING with my own child!
Our state isn't telling you have to. They are just saying you have to if you want your kids enrolled in program regulated by the state. Unless you have a religous exemption.
Mommy2One 09:38 AM 03-06-2012
We have our daughter on a delayed/spread out vaccination schedule, so she'll be getting all of required shots before she starts school but currently she's a little behind the standard schedule and would not be considered up to date. She has been cared for by unlicensed-home or private (our home) care providers since she was 14 months old (at home with mommy and/or grandmas before that). Those providers would have been our choice regardless of our eligibility for center or licensed care (little available in our area) so it hasn't been an issue. None of our providers have ever asked about her vaccination records and our daughter has, thankfully, never had more than a runny nose and has actually never needed to make a sick-visit to the doctor.
wdmmom 09:42 AM 03-06-2012
Per our state regs (Iowa), children do not need to be vaccinnated. We are required to have the immunization record on file or a waiver.
Meyou 09:48 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
If you are confident in what your vaccinations are supposed to do, then why would you be worried?
I agree.

Vaccinations are not required where I live. I don't vaccinate and I tell all my DCF's that in the interview. Most of my families vaccinate but there have been those that have not. I also don't discuss it with parents although since I don't vaccinate I have by default all families that are secure with their choice and mine.
Zoe 09:53 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Per our state regs (Iowa), children do not need to be vaccinnated. We are required to have the immunization record on file or a waiver.
Same here in MN. The form required a notary stamp for those who choose not to vaccinate and my licensor took a copy of this child's vaccination form for her files. I don't really see the problem. Everyone else is vaccinated so it really isn't going affect them and the child's mother and I are in constant communication if there ever was a problem I'd know about it.
Ariana 09:54 AM 03-06-2012
My DD is not vaccinated for medical reasons. We just get a note from our DR to opt out of providing proof of vacinations which is required by most licensed centres here in my city. Sometimes not vaccinating is not a choice.

I don't discuss it with parents. I also don't ask parents if their children are vaccinated before taking them. I agree with Blackcat, just tell them you don't discuss other families and stop talking.
Soupyszoo 09:57 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My DD is not vaccinated for medical reasons. We just get a note from our DR to opt out of providing proof of vacinations which is required by most licensed centres here in my city. Sometimes not vaccinating is not a choice.

I don't discuss it with parents. I also don't ask parents if their children are vaccinated before taking them. I agree with Blackcat, just tell them you don't discuss other families and stop talking.
I can see both sides I guess. But will definitely not discuss anymore with either family
snbauser 10:17 AM 03-06-2012
My first point, by not vaccinating it is placing the child who is not vaccinated at more risk than the child who is vaccinated. I see no problem caring for a child that is not vaccinated just be up to date on the signs and symptoms of most of these types of diseases.

I am in the same state and this is not 100% accurate. Licensing is NOT run by the board of education. It is a separate state run agencey (Division of Child Develpment and Early Education). All daycare providers do NOT have to be licensed. You can run a part day (less than 4 hrs) program or a drop in program without being licensed. You can also watch 2 children unrelated to you without being licensed.

We are not allowed to accept children who are not vaccinated at all according to my licenser. My understanding on this is that it is different than public schools because once they are in school all the kids whose parents wish to have them vaccinated have done so and the only kids at risk of the disease are the ones who are not vaccinated. In a child care program there are typically children of various ages who may not be old enough to have received all of their immunizations and therefore may be at risk of exposure.

This is different from when I was licensed in CA. There we could accept children who were not vaccinated but we had to disclose to our families that we accepted children who weren't.
MrsB 10:24 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I am in the same state and this is not 100% accurate. Licensing is NOT run by the board of education. It is a separate state run agencey (Division of Child Develpment and Early Education). All daycare providers do NOT have to be licensed. You can run a part day (less than 4 hrs) program or a drop in program without being licensed. You can also watch 2 children unrelated to you without being licensed.

We are not allowed to accept children who are not vaccinated at all according to my licenser. My understanding on this is that it is different than public schools because once they are in school all the kids whose parents wish to have them vaccinated have done so and the only kids at risk of the disease are the ones who are not vaccinated. In a child care program there are typically children of various ages who may not be old enough to have received all of their immunizations and therefore may be at risk of exposure.

This is different from when I was licensed in CA. There we could accept children who were not vaccinated but we had to disclose to our families that we accepted children who weren't.
Sorry im in Maryland not North Carolina. didnt realize it had the wrong state as my location.
snbauser 10:32 AM 03-06-2012
Sorry im in Maryland not North Carolina. didnt realize it had the wrong state as my location.
LOL!!! Now your post make sense.
Greenplasticwateringcans 11:21 AM 03-06-2012
I am very pro vax but not militant about it and do not judge parents who don't vax.
My daughter, who is fully vaxed, has had whooping cough and mumps. Awesome huh? Vaxes are not 100% so it doesn't matter to me I'd children in my care are or not. I never discuss it with other parents about who is or isn't.
jojosmommy 11:54 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
I only accept vaccinated kids. I have infants in my care they may not have had all shots because of their age therefore I need to make sure they are protected.
100% agree. My own child is not fully protected because she is too young to have received all the imms therefore anyone Not immunized is a threat to her. I ask at first interview and have turned away families who chose not to immunize before.
Soupyszoo 12:02 PM 03-06-2012
I didn't bring it up to the parents. This was presented to me this morning at drop off. Not really sure where it came from. I do not discuss any issues of certain dcks with other families. However, if someone is concerned and brings something up, whether it's this topic or something else, it does need addressed. Our jobs aren't just about childcare. When dealing with adults OR children it's also about conflict resolution!
Ariana 12:41 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Greenplasticwateringcans:
I am very pro vax but not militant about it and do not judge parents who don't vax.
My daughter, who is fully vaxed, has had whooping cough and mumps. Awesome huh? Vaxes are not 100% so it doesn't matter to me I'd children in my care are or not. I never discuss it with other parents about who is or isn't.
Thank you for this!! I think this is very important for all parents and providers to know. You should be looking for the signs and symptoms of these illnesses regardless of vaccinations.
Soupyszoo 12:47 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Thank you for this!! I think this is very important for all parents and providers to know. You should be looking for the signs and symptoms of these illnesses regardless of vaccinations.
This is also very true! This is one of the reasons it never crossed my mind to ask or bring it up! Aren't we all watching out for the signs and symptoms anyways?! I feel I'm very aware of even a runny nose in my dcks. I'm also very quick to tell parents if I suspect sickness coming on. I'm probably more concerned than they are because I want everyone to stay healthy in MY house!
Meyou 01:07 PM 03-06-2012
I've also had mumps even though I'm fully vaccinated. So has my ex-dh and my sister and one of my dd's (who was up to date at the time although we've since stopped vaccinating). We were lied to by public health and I had to threaten media coverage to get "permission" for my healthy dd to go to school despite her lack of symptoms and fully vaccinated little body. They were reporting the outbreak as entirely within the university student community with no children or adults at risk what-so-ever which was a lie as my face was swollen to twice it's normal size at the time. We were quarantined to our home and they called several times per day checking to see if we were there.

At that point the coverup outweighed any possible benefit we could receive from vaccines. I'll never trust them again after how we were treated like diseased criminals.
Angelwings36 01:10 PM 03-06-2012
My son has all his vaccinations but since then I have learned a lot of things about vaccinations that makes me think twice about them. I'm not too sure if I would vaccinate any future child or not. I also live in Canada and by law we are not required to be licensed (same ratio of children to provider for both licensed and unlicensed providers too, LESS HASSLE!). I don't even ask about vaccinations. If a child wasn't vaccinated I would still accept them into my care.
Crystal 02:06 PM 03-06-2012
How did they know another child is not vaccinated?
Soupyszoo 02:14 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
How did they know another child is not vaccinated?
Everyone is friends... On Facebook and at drop off and pick up they all talk... I'm not sure exactly how they got the idea but it was the first thing I opened my door to this morning lol. Two of the moms got into it the other day about controversial stuff (parenting styles etc..) and the next thing you know this comes up. So I'm assuming it's a way to "get back at" the other for her views that the other doesn't agree with. By threatening me to take dcb out if unvaccinated dcg doesn't leave, to me is trying to get her in "trouble". I told her this morning that if dcb is vaccinated that she didn't have anything to worry about. Then she told me it was more her husband that was upset... Sounds like a vendetta to me.
Crystal 02:20 PM 03-06-2012
Everyone is friends... On Facebook and at drop off and pick up they all talk... I'm not sure exactly how they got the idea but it was the first thing I opened my door to this morning lol. Two of the moms got into it the other day about controversial stuff (parenting styles etc..) and the next thing you know this comes up. So I'm assuming it's a way to "get back at" the other for her views that the other doesn't agree with. By threatening me to take dcb out if unvaccinated dcg doesn't leave, to me is trying to get her in "trouble". I told her this morning that if dcb is vaccinated that she didn't have anything to worry about. Then she told me it was more her husband that was upset... Sounds like a vendetta to me.
Ooohhhh....I wouldn't like that at all. I wouldn't take too kindly to the threat of removing her child based on someone else's parenting style and would let her know that if she chooses to leave you understand. then I'd move on. I wouldn't discuss it with her any further....
Snapdragon 04:09 PM 03-06-2012
In my state, children are required to have certain vaccinations to register in daycare/school, but there is a religous exemption. However, my younger child did not have her booster MMR (one week after receiving her first MMR she was hospitalized for two days after having a seizure and high fever). Although we couldn't definitely attribute the MMR vaccine as being the cause, we didn't want to take the risk of it happening again. Instead we got a titre done, which showed she had very high immunity so no need for the MMR booster. When we presented evidence of her immunity to the school, they had no problem with this. I am very pro vaccination because in the past, many children have died from the diseases the vaccinations now prevent. However, I also know that vaccinations can carry some risk for a minority of the population.
Sunshine44 05:58 AM 03-07-2012
My issues with NON vaccinated children are them bringing in disease to babies who are too young to be vaccinated.
Ariana 06:27 AM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Sunshine44:
My issues with NON vaccinated children are them bringing in disease to babies who are too young to be vaccinated.
Unfortunately as mentioned above, vaccinated children are not 100% protected so they too can carry the diseases.
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 03-07-2012
A non-vaccinated child cannot put vaccinated children at risk if the vaccines are effective. In fact, it is the vaccinated children who expose other children to increased risk. This has been confirmed again and again in outbreaks where a majority of the affected children were recently vaccinated.

Recently vaccinated children do carry the disease germ and are able to spread it to other children. Many so-called epidemics are initiated and spread in this manner, even though the unvaccinated are blamed.

This is another reason I do not allow recently vaccinated children to attend for 48 hours after receiving their vaccines.

If you have an infant in care, being concerned about the exclusion of recently vaccinated kids is a better safety policy then not allowing non-vaccinated kids to attend at all.

Spread of disease and illness could happen in any setting, but it's a particular concern if there is a large group of unvaccinated children in one classroom or one school. That gives a virus like measles a much better chance of finding a "susceptible" person - someone who can contract the disease and then pass it on to other people. So it's the clustering of unvaccinated kids in spatial or social groups like classrooms that we have to pay particular attention to.

In order to maintain that level of protection, we need to make sure the vast majority of kids do get vaccinated. Children who can't get vaccinated are relying on the protection provided when everyone else is vaccinated - an important concept called “herd immunity.”

I think it is every parents job/responsibility to educate themselves about vaccines and the risks associated with receiving and not receiving them.
Ariana 06:42 AM 03-07-2012
A non-vaccinated child cannot put vaccinated children at risk if the vaccines are effective. In fact, it is the vaccinated children who expose other children to increased risk. This has been confirmed again and again in outbreaks where a majority of the affected children were recently vaccinated.

Recently vaccinated children do carry the disease germ and are able to spread it to other children. Many so-called epidemics are initiated and spread in this manner, even though the unvaccinated are blamed.

This is another reason I do not allow recently vaccinated children to attend for 48 hours after receiving their vaccines.

If you have an infant in care, being concerned about the exclusion of recently vaccinated kids is a better safety policy then not allowing non-vaccinated kids to attend at all.

Spread of disease and illness could happen in any setting, but it's a particular concern if there is a large group of unvaccinated children in one classroom or one school. That gives a virus like measles a much better chance of finding a "susceptible" person - someone who can contract the disease and then pass it on to other people. So it's the clustering of unvaccinated kids in spatial or social groups like classrooms that we have to pay particular attention to.

In order to maintain that level of protection, we need to make sure the vast majority of kids do get vaccinated. Children who can't get vaccinated are relying on the protection provided when everyone else is vaccinated - an important concept called “herd immunity.”

I think it is every parents job/responsibility to educate themselves about vaccines and the risks associated with receiving and not receiving them.
I couldn't agree more with that final statement!

Not to mention that many parents who give Tylenol to decrease a vaccine fever are actually lowering the efficacy of the vaccine as well. Many children who are vaccinated are not vaccinated effectively. Even their DR's will encourage them to give Tylenol/Advil.
MrsB 06:46 AM 03-07-2012
In my area 5+ years ago, Dr's urging parents to give tylenol/motrin was the norm. These days they say only if the temperature is over 102F is tylenol/motrin indicated.
SilverSabre25 07:00 AM 03-07-2012

Meyou 07:57 AM 03-07-2012

Meeko 09:38 AM 03-07-2012
We can take non-vaccinated kids.....but they must attend a video presentaion at the health dept and fill out a special form that we have to keep on file.

They also sign a form saying they understand that they may be excluded from day care for an extended period of time if there is an outbreak of something and they are still expected to pay full tuition until allowed to return.

I currently have one kindergarten kid who is not vaccinated.
Tags:immunizations, non-immunized, vaccinations
Reply Up