Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playground Safety Research Study
SherrieBandy 08:32 AM 09-19-2012
With permission from the director of this forum, I would like to let all Preschool Directors know about the following opportunity for your center to participate in the evaluation of a new playground safety program. I am posting this on behalf of my research assistant.

Join in research that’s keeping children
safe and happy on the playground!

We invite you and your playground supervisors to join with other centers who are evaluating our playground safety program in a research study.

Stamp In is a new multimedia program that helps playground supervisors recognize, reward and reinforce preschool children for using safe and friendly behavior. This program is being developed and tested by Brion Marquez (IRIS Educational Media, Eugene, Oregon) and Dr. David Schwebel (University of Alabama at Birmingham) and with funding from the Centers for Disease Control*.

Here’s how you can get involved:
1. Implement the FREE Stamp In program in your center for four weeks in which children receive fun recognition stamps for safe and friendly playground behaviors.
2. Recommend up to five of your preschool teachers who might be interested in responding to online questionnaires about the program.
3. Allow us to select one of the teachers you recommend to fill out two online questionnaires over four weeks about their experiences using the program.

Each center will receive $100 for implementing the program, and the participating teacher will receive $50 for time spent filling out questionnaires.

If you are not familiar with Iris Educational Media, view a recent music video by going to YouTube at:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=atFupd8NxRE

To learn more and sign up, go here:
http://iris.us.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3sKpcRkhLqheArW

My name is Lisa Cassidy. I am the Research Assistant on this project. If you have any questions, please contact me at 877-343-4747 x204.

*Stamp-In-Safety grant #1R43CE001981-01A1
Michael 01:32 PM 09-19-2012
Would like feedback.
SherrieBandy 02:23 PM 09-19-2012
Hi Michael -
would you like the results of the study? I can put you on a list to receive our final report once the study is finished.
Blackcat31 02:39 PM 09-19-2012
I am confused (Don't worry, it's normal for me ) but are you asking the providers on this forum if they want to do something or is this geared towards child care center directors only?

It must be close to the end of the day. I have read your post again but I still am not seeing clearly....
Michael 02:49 PM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by SherrieBandy:
Hi Michael -
would you like the results of the study? I can put you on a list to receive our final report once the study is finished.
Sure, that would be great.
daycare 03:00 PM 09-19-2012
it looks like it is geared towards centers, as the one line states they are looking for up to 5 teachers to participate in filling out forms/surveys.

I am a little confused too, but again its me so whats new...
brightstarts 05:44 PM 09-19-2012
I would love to get involved with this, however NYS says it's not developmentally appropriate to reward kids with ANYTHING (yes, even stickers) tangible. Crazy, I know!
SherrieBandy 03:41 PM 10-10-2012
Hi all -
yes, we are looking for centers who are interested in being a part of a research study. You may go to the link provided in the original post to learn more about the study.
SherrieBandy 03:10 PM 11-28-2012
I am reposting this as our research study is well underway and we are still looking for centers to participate. We have about 20 centers participating so far, but need about 30 more! Please join other daycare centers to learn about this innovative playground safety program.

Join in research that’s keeping children
safe and happy on the playground!

We invite you and your playground supervisors to join with other centers who are evaluating our playground safety program in a research study.

Stamp In is a new multimedia program that helps playground supervisors recognize, reward and reinforce preschool children for using safe and friendly behavior. This program is being developed and tested by Brion Marquez (IRIS Educational Media, Eugene, Oregon) and Dr. David Schwebel (University of Alabama at Birmingham) and with funding from the Centers for Disease Control*.

Here’s how you can get involved:
1. Implement the FREE Stamp In program in your center for four weeks in which children receive fun recognition stamps for safe and friendly playground behaviors.
2. Recommend up to five of your preschool teachers who might be interested in responding to online questionnaires about the program.
3. Allow us to select one of the teachers you recommend to fill out two online questionnaires over four weeks about their experiences using the program.

Each center will receive $100 for implementing the program, and the participating teacher will receive $50 for time spent filling out questionnaires.

If you are not familiar with Iris Educational Media, view a recent music video by going to YouTube at:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=atFupd8NxRE

To learn more and sign up, go here:
http://iris.us.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3sKpcRkhLqheArW

My name is Lisa Cassidy. I am the Research Assistant on this project. If you have any questions, please contact me at 877-343-4747 x204.

*Stamp-In-Safety grant #1R43CE001981-01A1[/quote]
SherrieBandy 09:15 AM 01-03-2013
Hi Everyone,
I'm hoping by posting again, more people will see this. We need about 12 more centers to participate in this study in the next couple of weeks. Please feel free to contact Lisa Cassidy at the above noted phone number or click on the link to take you to the eligibility questionnaire.

We're getting great feedback about our program, we just need a few more people to evaluate it. Won't you help us?

Thanks!!!
melskids 03:56 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by brightstarts:
I would love to get involved with this, however NYS says it's not developmentally appropriate to reward kids with ANYTHING (yes, even stickers) tangible. Crazy, I know!
Just curious, but I am in NYS. Where does it say this?

*whoops...just saw that this post is a couple months old.*
Tags:playground, playground - safety, safety
Reply Up