Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Tree?
MissAnn 05:27 AM 11-22-2016
What kind do you put up? I keep buying cheapo ones that look awful. They are really small and sit on a table. This year I decided to get a taller one....maybe 4 feet. I just don't have room! My dh brought one home last night....another cheapo one that look awful after 2 years. He's not happy I don't want it. It was nice of him....but I'm pretty sure he just looked to see what was the cheapest and bought it. It's only 2 feet tall and cost $10. ugh....can't we do better that for once? I asked him if he looked at the display and he said no. Tell me what you have or suggest!
Fiddlesticks 05:39 AM 11-22-2016
I have two trees, a slim 7ft tree for the family room on the main level, and a big full 8ft tree in the lower level. We bought the big full tree one year right after Thanksgiving when we realized the old prelit tree we had had seen its final days. We got it at Walmart and it was one of the less expensive big trees, $80, and it is one of those trees that you have to put on each branch individually, but it is the most beautiful tree we have ever owned. Our slim tree is prelit, and I don't love the tree, but it looks okay when it is all decorated.
midaycare 06:46 AM 11-22-2016
We have a fake one that I love, 7 ft, have had it for 6 years maybe. In our now home, the top doesn't fit BUT I still love it. It's got menories attached and the rest of it is beautiful, lol!
Attached: 20161120_155713.jpg (75.5 KB) 
Heart12 09:25 AM 11-22-2016
We have a fake one thats about 5-6ft. Its been in storage for a few years since we dont have a lot of space. so Im not sure how its going to look when we pull it out! I did buy some extra garland to help fill in some of the gaps & make it look fuller.
Josiegirl 10:00 AM 11-22-2016
I wish I had a fake one. I used to love the idea of cutting one down and doing the whole family thing. but since that's a thing of the past now and cut trees here are about $40, I'd love a fake one now. My dds told me if I got a fake tree, they wouldn't come home. I'm sure they were joking. I think.
lovemydaycare0912 10:20 AM 11-22-2016
I have a fake one about 5 feet. Last year I had a small gate around it but this year I redid my layout so am able to put it in a corner where the kids can't get to it. We took pictures by the tree last year and I printed it out for the parents to have. They loved it. May do something similar this year.
midaycare 10:23 AM 11-22-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I wish I had a fake one. I used to love the idea of cutting one down and doing the whole family thing. but since that's a thing of the past now and cut trees here are about $40, I'd love a fake one now. My dds told me if I got a fake tree, they wouldn't come home. I'm sure they were joking. I think.
You can get cut trees for $40? Wow! Ours cost about $125. We bought a nice fake one for $400, and figured it wouldn't take too long to recoup the costs.
Play Care 10:28 AM 11-22-2016
I bought a 7 1/2 foot fake tree two years ago after Christmas. It looked beautiful last year. As much as I love real trees, I hate having to water and vacuum every day.
daycarediva 10:32 AM 11-22-2016
we get a real one, we always get a 6ft potted tree and plant it in spring (yes, leaving it indoors all winter/spring) It's around $75.
Controlled Chaos 01:52 PM 11-22-2016
I LOVE real trees, but we just can't afford the $75-$150 price tag every year. Mow we have a nice fake one that is 7 feet tall and pre lit. We got it for $60ish 3 years ago. I do wish we didn't have to gate it off.
Jupadia 02:38 PM 11-22-2016
I have a 6.5 foot fake tree it's about 6 years old. We will be getting a seconed one (7.5 foot) cause we changed spaces and the old one looks short in yhe room. Then we will move this guy to our family room in the basment. (Upstairs will be my good looking tree and downstairs will be a family ornament homemade ornament tree.
I also do a felt tree with felt ornaments in the daycare room. The kids love rearranging the decorating on it.
Rockgirl 02:43 PM 11-22-2016
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:
I have two trees, a slim 7ft tree for the family room on the main level, and a big full 8ft tree in the lower level. We bought the big full tree one year right after Thanksgiving when we realized the old prelit tree we had had seen its final days. We got it at Walmart and it was one of the less expensive big trees, $80, and it is one of those trees that you have to put on each branch individually, but it is the most beautiful tree we have ever owned. Our slim tree is prelit, and I don't love the tree, but it looks okay when it is all decorated.
I think I have the same 8 ft Walmart tree. I don't mind putting the branches on individually, because I I like to wrap each branch with lights from the inside out. I've been happy with this tree!
childcaremom 03:15 PM 11-22-2016
Real.

I love love love the smell and couldn't imagine the holidays without one.
LysesKids 03:32 PM 11-22-2016
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
What kind do you put up? I keep buying cheapo ones that look awful. They are really small and sit on a table. This year I decided to get a taller one....maybe 4 feet. I just don't have room! My dh brought one home last night....another cheapo one that look awful after 2 years. He's not happy I don't want it. It was nice of him....but I'm pretty sure he just looked to see what was the cheapest and bought it. It's only 2 feet tall and cost $10. ugh....can't we do better that for once? I asked him if he looked at the display and he said no. Tell me what you have or suggest!
This is what I have a 4 ft Vickermans with 200 lights on it - I bought it last year; a little pricy @ 80 bucks but it holds a fair amount of of ornaments... couldn't get the Pic to load
LysesKids 03:39 PM 11-22-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
This is what I have a 4 ft Vickermans with 200 lights on it - I bought it last year; a little pricy @ 80 bucks but it holds a fair amount of of ornaments... couldn't get the Pic to load
this is from their site... I got mine off Amazon lol
https://www.vickerman.com/products/details?item=A807541
LysesKids 03:43 PM 11-22-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm allergic to live Christmas trees
AmyKidsCo 08:07 PM 11-22-2016
I have a 3 ft fake one I put in the playroom and let the children decorate/undecorate as much as they want.

We go to the the tree farm to cut down a real tree for the living room (gated off from the child care area). I LOVE the smell of a freshly cut evergreen!

This year we've got two 3 month old kittens who will definitely climb the tree. It'll be interesting...
DaveA 03:26 AM 11-23-2016
DW is allergic to a real tree, so we have a 7ft fake one. She bought it a couple years ago on after Christmas clearance and it's held up really well.
Josiegirl 04:08 AM 11-23-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
You can get cut trees for $40? Wow! Ours cost about $125. We bought a nice fake one for $400, and figured it wouldn't take too long to recoup the costs.
Oh my! If I had to pay that much, I'd definitely go artificial. I expect the forty bucks to increase each year. One of my dcfs gave me a $100 gift card to Lowes when their dd started preschool, I was going to save it for next spring planting season. But just maybe I'll check that place out for a tree. Spring is too far away to even think about. Haha 4 yo dcg asked me yesterday if spring was almost here. Got a ways to go honey, a ways to go.
Baby Beluga 06:05 AM 11-23-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Ours also are about $120 and go up from there. The local high school was selling fresh cut trees and they started at $100 for a 4 foot and went up to $320 for an 11 foot.

We have an artificial one. Purchased it for $100 from Walmart 3 years ago. It was prelit but this year half of the lights went out. So I just strung additional lights myself. No biggie.
safechner 07:50 PM 11-26-2016
I just bought 6' pre lights Christmas tree (fake) for $20 (it was on sale) yesterday and it looks great. It is for plant ledge on the top of my house (12' ceiling tall). I also bought 9' Christmas tree (fake) with no lights for $150 (it was on sale, regular price was $300) last night. It looks great! My husband and I decided to put lights on our own because we prefer to have led lights to save our electric bill.
renodeb 09:29 PM 11-26-2016
My hubby works at Home Depot so we buy our tree from there. Usually a 6 foot one. We put it up in our Den (away from the daycare).
Deb
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 11-27-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
This year we've got two 3 month old kittens who will definitely climb the tree. It'll be interesting...
Kitties always make Christmas fun!
Mine love wrapping paper and bows.

By Christmas morning most the bows and ribbons are missing from the presents and a good portion of them are ripped open giving clues to what's inside and the tree is ornament free from half way down....
Febby 08:43 AM 11-27-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Kitties always make Christmas fun!
Mine love wrapping paper and bows.

By Christmas morning most the bows and ribbons are missing from the presents and a good portion of them are ripped open giving clues to what's inside and the tree is ornament free from half way down....
Mine are the same. i usually keep the presents put up until Christmas Eve or Christmas morning for the sake of getting some pretty pictures of presents under the tree. I have a new kitten this year, too, so I'm sure the ornaments will disappear pretty quickly.

I'm looking at new tree this year. I'd love to have a real one, but I don't know that it would be worth it for the cost. We have a prelit that my parents gave me that they acquired when they bought a house and the previous owners left it. It's about as dead as a fake tree can be.
Meeko 10:00 AM 11-27-2016
Did ours this weekend. It's a cheap one from walmart about 6 years ago. Fleshed out with lots of garland, ribbon and ornaments, it works for me. The daycare kids are great about not touching it.
Attached: 15171263_10202765043563415_906716567633725769_n.jpg (69.9 KB) 
jenboo 01:14 PM 11-27-2016
We drove out to the forest this weekend and cut one down. This was our first time and we didn't go to the best area but we found a cute one. It's smooshed against a wall in our living room with a gate around it.
Oh and the permit to cut it is only $10.
Attached: 22.jpg (101.9 KB) 
happymom 12:40 PM 11-28-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I LOVE real trees, but we just can't afford the $75-$150 price tag every year. Mow we have a nice fake one that is 7 feet tall and pre lit. We got it for $60ish 3 years ago. I do wish we didn't have to gate it off.
We go cut one for $10, just buy a permit from the ranger station
Mike 02:50 PM 11-28-2016
I prefer real pine trees, with the cones. I like sitting and listening to them crackling.
Tags:christmas tree
Reply Up