Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Omg wtf
SunshineMama 06:00 AM 05-29-2014
Yesterday, dcg 3.5 pooped in her underwear. Her sister said she had been doing it at home lately, and mom confirmed. When asked why she didnt tell me she had to go to the bathroom, she replied, "She didnt want to listen to her body."

Today, dcm said that she hadnt gone for her at home last night or this morning (ummmm, thats bc she did it in her underwear here yesterday afternoon, which mom knew), so she gave her a LAXATIVE before she sent her to my house today. Why anyone would give their child a laxative, is beyond me, especially if it has been confirmed that the child had had a bm everyday for the past 2 days.

To make matters worse, other dcg 1, was sick with a diarrhea stomach virus over the weekend. She came monday with no symptoms, so I couldnt send her home (we all know they still have the virus inside them though), and today, my ds had diarrhea. So, potentially, dcg3.5 could get this stomach bug today too, AND be on an unnecessary laxative.

Today is the last day before my vacation, where I take my 3 young children on their first, (nonrefundable) plane ride. I will be so peeved if they have diarrhea this trip.
daycare 06:11 AM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Yesterday, dcg 3.5 pooped in her underwear. Her sister said she had been doing it at home lately, and mom confirmed. When asked why she didnt tell me she had to go to the bathroom, she replied, "She didnt want to listen to her body."

Today, dcm said that she hadnt gone for her at home last night or this morning (ummmm, thats bc she did it in her underwear here yesterday afternoon, which mom knew), so she gave her a LAXATIVE before she sent her to my house today. Why anyone would give their child a laxative, is beyond me, especially if it has been confirmed that the child had had a bm everyday for the past 2 days.

To make matters worse, other dcg 1, was sick with a diarrhea stomach virus over the weekend. She came monday with no symptoms, so I couldnt send her home (we all know they still have the virus inside them though), and today, my ds had diarrhea. So, potentially, dcg3.5 could get this stomach bug today too, AND be on an unnecessary laxative.

Today is the last day before my vacation, where I take my 3 young children on their first, (nonrefundable) plane ride. I will be so peeved if they have diarrhea this trip.
in my 11 years of doing DC, every time I am about to go on a trip, something like this happens. BUT we all never got sick. I pump my kids with airborne and vitamins as soon as I smell something funny...lol
SunshineMama 06:16 AM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
in my 11 years of doing DC, every time I am about to go on a trip, something like this happens. BUT we all never got sick. I pump my kids with airborne and vitamins as soon as I smell something funny...lol
Yep! I have been diffusing DoTerra On Guard, putting it on my kids, giving them lots of vitamins, and probiotics.

I am still super perplexed about why dcm gave a laxative though. Are you trying to make me term you lol.
drseuss 06:19 AM 05-29-2014
Any chance that dcg has the stomach bug and mom just TOLD you that she gave her daughter a laxative so you don't think she's actually sick?
SunshineMama 06:20 AM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
Any chance that dcg has the stomach bug and mom just TOLD you that she gave her daughter a laxative so you don't think she's actually sick?
In the daycare world, theres always a chance! I dont think mom would do that, but you never know.
CraftyMom 06:57 AM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
That's a possibility! I wouldn't put it past some parents. Every other kid in dayscare has the stomach bug, but not this girl, she only took a laxative

The equivalent of it's only allergies!
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 05-29-2014

If she has been having issues pooping in her undies at home, she may be having some harder stools than normal and mom feels the laxative will aide her child in going poop in the potty like she used to do.

I wonder if her decision to give a laxative was based on one day of not pooping.

I have a mom that regularly gives her child a laxative/stool softener whenever they have an issue with harder stool than usual.
NeedaVaca 07:04 AM 05-29-2014
Either way for me, diarrhea = sent home, plus wouldn't be allowed back Friday.
midaycare 07:38 AM 05-29-2014
Laxatives??? That's a new one ...
BrooklynM 08:47 AM 05-29-2014
My grandma used to give us a laxative every Saturday night regardless of our stools. I can't remember what it was called but it was liquid and kind of brownish and it was so nasty!
SunshineMama 09:00 AM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If she has been having issues pooping in her undies at home, she may be having some harder stools than normal and mom feels the laxative will aide her child in going poop in the potty like she used to do.

I wonder if her decision to give a laxative was based on one day of not pooping.

I have a mom that regularly gives her child a laxative/stool softener whenever they have an issue with harder stool than usual.
Perhaps. However it had been less than 18 hours since the child last had a normal (not hard) bm, when mom gave her a laxative. Just my opinion, but I think it is unnecessary to give medicine like that when a child is having normal bm's. I think its better to regulate through a healthy diet, but that's just me. Dcm uses laxatives a lot on dcg. I have heard that overuse can actually cause problems
SillyGrl 09:23 AM 05-29-2014
Perhaps. However it had been less than 18 hours since the child last had a normal (not hard) bm, when mom gave her a laxative. Just my opinion, but I think it is unnecessary to give medicine like that when a child is having normal bm's. I think its better to regulate through a healthy diet, but that's just me. Dcm uses laxatives a lot on dcg. I have heard that overuse can actually cause problems
Yes, it absolutely can. It can increase both constipation and bowel incontinence. Laxatives make the bowel no longer effective in sending signals to the brain. It's a bad cycle of constipation and incontinence and will only make things worse. I guess her doctor probably doesn't know she's giving the laxatives, because it's not an appropriate remedy for children.
SillyGrl 09:26 AM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

The stool softener is different than the laxative. I have a son who has suffered from encoporesis in the past (constipation causing incontinence), and if he isn't perfectly on schedule, I start up the metamucil! Occasionally he has had to take a stool softener just to make it a little easier to go.

My other kids, I don't worry unless it's been a couple of days. They usually come to me with a tummy ache and I ask when was the last time. I was a nurse for 13 years, though, lol.
SunshineMama 10:49 AM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by SillyGrl:
The stool softener is different than the laxative. I have a son who has suffered from encoporesis in the past (constipation causing incontinence), and if he isn't perfectly on schedule, I start up the metamucil! Occasionally he has had to take a stool softener just to make it a little easier to go.

My other kids, I don't worry unless it's been a couple of days. They usually come to me with a tummy ache and I ask when was the last time. I was a nurse for 13 years, though, lol.
I can understand softeners occasionally. Unmerited laxatives are dangerous and gross for *me* to have to clean up when she messes her pants. I took her on the hour every hour, and right before we went outside today. 2 minutes after we get outside, she poops in her underwear.
daycarediva 10:52 AM 05-29-2014
Poop accidents=pull up.

I feel like rewriting my handbook to include no laxatives can be given 24 hours before admittance to daycare.
rosieteddy 10:56 AM 05-29-2014
The yucky brown stuff was casteroil.My Mom would line us up ,give a spoonful and say don;t go far lol.
KiddieCahoots 12:05 PM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
The yucky brown stuff was casteroil.My Mom would line us up ,give a spoonful and say don;t go far lol.
Colace is pretty disgusting too.
Reply Up