Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shaking Mad... Need Advice ASAP
TwinKristi 12:28 PM 05-30-2014
Removing info...
Terming someone today...
How should I refund her? I don't have the exact amount in cash or I would do that but I do have checks. I thought that maybe I shouldn't term her now, but send her home today and send a certified letter with a cashier's check tonight or tomorrow.
craftymissbeth 12:35 PM 05-30-2014
Wow! I know it's "just" Miralax, but what if another kid had drank some of her drink? I'd be furious if my kid unknowingly ingested an OTC med at daycare! I mean, I know you're supervising, but it happens.

You could write her a check. Actually, IMO that's better than cash because there's a paper trail.

Do you have a no refund policy? Depending on what your illness policy says, this would be an immediate term for me plus I don't issue refunds.

Sorry you're dealing without someone completely out in lala land
Crazy8 12:39 PM 05-30-2014
omg, I would term immediately based on parent not giving me vital information regarding their childs health and medications!!!! In my contract there are no refunds when a parent breaks policy like that but if you want to give a refund I would absolutely just write her a check and hand it to her with a letter outlining why you are terminating care.
TwinKristi 12:46 PM 05-30-2014
That's just what I did. I'm still shaking. She's on her way now.
playground1 12:48 PM 05-30-2014
That is so unacceptable.
Blackcat31 12:49 PM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
That's just what I did. I'm still shaking. She's on her way now.
I would let her know her refund will be via cashiers check in the mail within the next 5 business days.

I wouldn't write a personal check to a "termed immediately" family.
TwinKristi 12:54 PM 05-30-2014
I already did and she's on her way now. I was trying to find the Title 22 info for where it specifies the medication authorization requirement but I'm not finding it, only a highlight from 2007.
safechner 01:04 PM 05-30-2014
If the mother gave miralax to her daughter this morning but it doesn't cause diarrhea right away. It will give about 24 to 48 hours after she drinks it. It should be soft stool, not diarrhea. Maybe something else, who knows.
TwinKristi 01:52 PM 05-30-2014
I didn't cause diarrhea, but she'd gone way more today then usual and got some in her undies. Plus, she had it Sat-Mon last week and hadn't had any issues on Tues-Wed. She pees a lot too but this was going poop numerous times. 3 times in 5 min during lunch plus several times earlier.
The worst part is that she used to be a provider!!! She knows the rules and I suspect thats why she "forgot" to tell me. I call BS. She requested a copy of all the receipts I've already given her and I told her I already gave her a copy of every receipt for every payment. Ugh!!! So mad!!!
NightOwl 02:04 PM 05-30-2014
Ok.... Somebody fill me in. I'm assuming the original post was edited.
TwinKristi 02:17 PM 05-30-2014
DCM gave DCG Miralax in a milk cup that she brings in the morning which usually contains a probiotic for her GI issues. She didn't tell me until after I texted her that DCG was going poop way more than normal and got some in her undies. She told me she gave her Miralax this morning and that could be why, but then when I asked if she put it in her milk she brought her, she said yes. Had she given it at home I may not have been as upset, but having ME give her something without a dr's note and without my knowledge really irks me. Plus her story doesn't even make sense. She said she hasn't given it to her since Monday, why start today?? Why not tell me??
lynne 02:24 PM 05-30-2014
That would so pi$$ me off! So you're suppost to deal with all that poop? And like someone else said what if another child drank her milk??? And she didnt say anything... I'm sorry this happened to you...
NightOwl 03:28 PM 05-30-2014
Wow! How did pick up go?
SunshineMama 03:44 PM 05-30-2014
Ugh. Had a dcm give miralax to a kid yesterday. She also went In her pants. Tempted to have a rule that if that is given they have to stay home.
TwinKristi 04:18 PM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Wow! How did pick up go?
She was obviously upset but she knew she messed up. I had her stuff in my hand, her term notice with a check and told her as calmly as I could that what she was today was unacceptable and I wouldn't be able to have her come back next week. She was kinda but I could tell the wheels were spinning and her responses after that were obvious to me that she knew she messed up. Before she even drove away she texted that she wants me to mail her receipts for every payments she's given me and I replied that I have already given her a receipt for every payment. Then she started saying she's really disappointed because she knows she verbally told me the other day. But going back through our texts and recalling our conversations, I found several inconsistencies. I don't want to post on here what I REALLY think is going on, since it's searchable, but it's not pretty.
NightOwl 04:35 PM 05-30-2014
Oh wow. I'm so sorry. It's Friday night, you need a drink!!
daycarediva 04:55 PM 05-30-2014
((((Hugs))))

You were absolutely right to term. I would have had her pick up and termed her immediately. Can you imagine explaining to another parent and licensing if someone accidentally drank that??? This is probably one of the worst things I have ever heard a parent do to their provider.
Kabob 05:02 PM 05-30-2014
I'm required to keep all medications secured from the daycare children (ie mine are all in a locked cabinet). That is a safety violation. I'd be beyond angry too...kudos to you for handling it so well. Hopefully that's the last time you will ever have to deal with her and the last time that ever happens.
CraftyMom 05:48 PM 05-30-2014
That easily could have been a disaster! I'm sure mom doesn't quite get it. She thinks it's no big deal since it's her child's cup.

I have a dcg here who will grab ANYONE's cup and drink from it! If that were to happen here, my dcg could have easily drank a medication she didn't need! Ugh trying to explain that one wouldn't be pretty!

The worst part is that you weren't even told about it!
TwinKristi 01:43 AM 05-31-2014
Wow, thanks for all the support! I have been having a hard time this evening. I just hate conflict and abrupt surprises. Considering she was a provider in the same county, I know she knows the rules. She's trying to argue that it's a double standard because I was okay with a probiotic but not Miralax and that's not fair. A probiotic isn't a medication that has to be locked up, it's all natural, can't overdose, no dangerous side effects! She said she would have never knowingly jeopardized my license. She swears she told me but I know she didn't! I've been against giving her Miralax since the first time she told me the dr suggested it but specifically said AT HOME! I am still so shaken up about it. I'm good about giving her the milk with breakfast, she drinks it quickly and I immediately wash it out (don't want stinky milk in it all day) and send it home. It's never just sitting around for littles to grab.
This just solidifies that I will NOT allow food/drinks from home like that. It will be an exception if a baby has formula bottles premade or something but even that makes me nervous now. I didn't care to do it before, only 1 DCM last year who insisted on providing food and milk but brought an unopened half gallon for the week. This really is pushing me to create a handbook or update my contract. It's been almost 2yrs so it's time. I've had to add things like late payment fee and such, but now I need to address things that have come up since, like this.
CraftyMom 05:34 AM 05-31-2014
She's trying to argue that it's a double standard because I was okay with a probiotic but not Miralax and that's not fair.
She needs to realize the problem is that you didn't know it was in there! If you had known you would have taken proper precautions or you have said NO!!!

The other thing is why does she assume YOU want to be the one cleaning all this poop??

Parents will always try to put the blame back on you by saying I told you or we talked about this and you agreed. I tell them I do not have any verbal agreements. EVERYTHING is on paper and signed so there is no question, so if they don't have written proof it's because it didn't happen (here anyway)
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 05-31-2014
This just solidifies that I will NOT allow food/drinks from home like that. It will be an exception if a baby has formula bottles premade or something but even that makes me nervous now. .
This is the number one reason I stopped allowing parents to bring food or drinks from home.

Pre-made baby formula bottles with Tylenol or ibruprofen added so that baby doesn't get that "teething" fever during the day causing a "come pick up" call.

If you are going to stop allowing parents to bring food/drink from home, the pre-made baby bottles are THE first thing I would stop allowing.
SignMeUp 07:44 AM 05-31-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is the number one reason I stopped allowing parents to bring food or drinks from home.

Pre-made baby formula bottles with Tylenol or ibruprofen added so that baby doesn't get that "teething" fever during the day causing a "come pick up" call.

If you are going to stop allowing parents to bring food/drink from home, the pre-made baby bottles are THE first thing I would stop allowing.
Oh my. Wow. Because of 'issues' I recently went to a no-food policy except for baby bottles. I just got tired of the frozen milk/powdered milk messes and needing storage for multiple baby bottles here. So now I require pre-made bottles sufficient for the day and allowing for the rules that milk from an unfinished bottle has to be discarded.
But I never thought about tylenol/ibuprofen being added to the bottle
TwinKristi 08:31 AM 05-31-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Oh my. Wow. Because of 'issues' I recently went to a no-food policy except for baby bottles. I just got tired of the frozen milk/powdered milk messes and needing storage for multiple baby bottles here. So now I require pre-made bottles sufficient for the day and allowing for the rules that milk from an unfinished bottle has to be discarded.
But I never thought about tylenol/ibuprofen being added to the bottle
Yeah that's exactly what I was worried about actually, or Miralax!

I don't have any babies who take bottles and only one mom who was a drop-in twice even brought premade bottles. Her dd was a preemie and she was used to center care and my neighbor allows her premade bottles so I allowed it when I was a backup for her. I really don't think she'd do that, but I can't have that comfort with anyone else at this point. I always had a canister of formula or frozen bags of milk and made the bottles myself. If parents ask why I will explain that I had a mother drugging her child while in my care via milk!!

Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
She needs to realize the problem is that you didn't know it was in there! If you had known you would have taken proper precautions or you have said NO!!!

The other thing is why does she assume YOU want to be the one cleaning all this poop??

Parents will always try to put the blame back on you by saying I told you or we talked about this and you agreed. I tell them I do not have any verbal agreements. EVERYTHING is on paper and signed so there is no question, so if they don't have written proof it's because it didn't happen (here anyway)

And yes, she doesn't realize how scary that was for me that I had no idea. My sub talked to a DCM of mine and said she really liked me and I'm very "by the book" which is exactly what I want my reputation to be! And I have sent DCG home numerous times in the 4wks she was here for diarrhea, she missed a whole week for severe diarrhea just 2wks ago! That's what started all this drs appt business anyway because she's been so sick! But she would bring her back and she'd have a bad tummy ache crying and crying and I'd send her home... She KNOWS I wouldn't allow diarrhea or excessive pooping which is why she didn't tell me. She's on her last leg at this new job.

I know there's privacy regulations and such, but do you think her past preschool director would talk to me? She left there on bad terms.
playground1 10:05 AM 05-31-2014
Originally Posted by :
People do that? Wow.
Mom of 4 12:35 PM 05-31-2014
DCM gave DCG Miralax in a milk cup that she brings in the morning which usually contains a probiotic for her GI issues. She didn't tell me until after I texted her that DCG was going poop way more than normal and got some in her undies. She told me she gave her Miralax this morning and that could be why, but then when I asked if she put it in her milk she brought her, she said yes. Had she given it at home I may not have been as upset, but having ME give her something without a dr's note and without my knowledge really irks me. Plus her story doesn't even make sense. She said she hasn't given it to her since Monday, why start today?? Why not tell me??
OMG, I never put Miralax (or other meds) in my son's drinks that he took to daycare. He has a chronic condition and will be on it for the rest of his life and needed up to 4x a day and STILL I never would do that. What if another kid had gotten it? "Forgetting" to tell you is one thing already that isn't cool, but actually letting the kid bring medicated milk to daycare to BEGIN with is the bigger problem, here.
nannyde 12:53 PM 05-31-2014
Originally Posted by queen_of_the_playground:
People do that? Wow.
Yes. They also bring benadryl bottles. If a parent brings bottles and tells you which ones to give at what time there may be meds in them.

Tylenol advil bottles before nap and benadryl bottles before going home. This takes care of the nap fever and gets the kids tired so they can go right to bed when they get home.

I never allow premade bottles.
Unregistered 01:20 PM 05-31-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Yes. They also bring benadryl bottles. If a parent brings bottles and tells you which ones to give at what time there may be meds in them.

Tylenol advil bottles before nap and benadryl bottles before going home. This takes care of the nap fever and gets the kids tired so they can go right to bed when they get home.

That's sick...
Kabob 01:55 PM 05-31-2014

I don't allow food from home or premade bottles....but then I got to thinking....does breastmilk in a bottle or bag count as premade? I mean...I could see a parent slipping meds in that just as easily as formula. But I wouldn't want to deny a parent the choice to supply breastmilk. So how do you ensure that it hasn't been tampered with? Has that ever been an issue for anyone?
KiddieCahoots 03:08 PM 05-31-2014
Wow! I've heard of dcp's giving medication before arriving, but this?
And from a previous provider

Not sure if this would help......I've had breast feeding mom's bring bags of breast milk that are frozen only. Can you freeze medication and it still be effective?
nannyde 05:14 PM 05-31-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
I don't allow food from home or premade bottles....but then I got to thinking....does breastmilk in a bottle or bag count as premade? I mean...I could see a parent slipping meds in that just as easily as formula. But I wouldn't want to deny a parent the choice to supply breastmilk. So how do you ensure that it hasn't been tampered with? Has that ever been an issue for anyone?
I require a jug of milk and or a weeks worth of bags at a time. It would be difficult to dope a 18 oz jug
Kabob 07:27 PM 05-31-2014
I require a jug of milk and or a weeks worth of bags at a time. It would be difficult to dope a 18 oz jug
Ok makes sense. Thanks for the insight. This topic just makes me paranoid. Good learning opportunity here at least.
playground1 02:20 AM 06-01-2014

Jaysus. I guess I should feel lucky that all of our parents are big into homeopathy.
LysesKids 09:56 AM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by queen_of_the_playground:
Jaysus. I guess I should feel lucky that all of our parents are big into homeopathy.

I feel the same… I run an all natural, organic home; my parents hate traditional meds
Cradle2crayons 10:01 AM 06-01-2014
And this post here is EXACTLY why I do like others and don't allow any pre made cups or bottles. BF babies milk has to come in the frozen bags and must be labelled and dated..

I do give meds.... I allow some meds to be given before arrival. However in the case of laxatives I ask parents to plan ahead and give those before a few days off because if it "kicks in" here and they develop diarrhea, they have to come pick up the child.
playground1 11:00 AM 06-01-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I feel the same… I run an all natural, organic home; my parents hate traditional meds
Well, I don't believe in it, but I know it can't do any harm. We do, however, often get plain brown bottles and instructions on when and how much to take. Eh, no. I need an insert telling me what it is before I can give it to a kids, thanks.
Scout 06:43 PM 06-02-2014
A few weeks ago I had a 5 yo poop her pants. It was the most disgusting, smelly diarrhea! When I asked her why she did that she said because she wanted to continue to play! I told her that was not acceptable and that when we are 5 we have to use the toilet and stop playing if we have to go. Mom picked up and said she had started her on mirilax a few days prior and that she had diarrhea at home too! Duh!! Thanks for the heads up!
TwinKristi 07:39 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by Scout:
A few weeks ago I had a 5 yo poop her pants. It was the most disgusting, smelly diarrhea! When I asked her why she did that she said because she wanted to continue to play! I told her that was not acceptable and that when we are 5 we have to use the toilet and stop playing if we have to go. Mom picked up and said she had started her on mirilax a few days prior and that she had diarrhea at home too! Duh!! Thanks for the heads up!
Ugh!!! That's just so wrong!! Does mom want to be stuck at work with diarrhea? Highly unlikely! Why would the child want to be at daycare with it??
jenn 07:00 AM 06-03-2014
I don't trust any kind of food or liquid coming from home.

*Formula bottles-Only store bought sealed containers of formula are accepted

*Breastmilk bottles-They provide expected amount for 1 week. I prefer frozen, bottles are made here.

*Baby food-only unopened store bought containers are accepted. If they do homemade baby food, they bring enough for 1 week, frozen.

*Specialty milks-(Allergies, dairy free,...)-Only store bought sealed containers are accepted.

*Specialty foods-(I have one that is dairy free, vegan,...)They provide the foods, but they come in unopened store bought containers.
Reply Up