Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Changed My Mind-How To Tell Mom?
SunshineMama 06:27 AM 06-18-2014
I agreed to watch teachers kids this fall. They paid a deposit. I ended up watching them before the end of the school year, and I decided I don't want to watch them this fall. The older boy is too mischievous, and needs direct eyes on at all times, and I have to wake super early, which wakes my 1 year up early, and my weekends are shot bc they are p at 5:30am everyday as a routine from me getting up during the week.

Can I just be honest with her and let her know that it isn't working out? I feel bad, but I just don't want to deal with them.
preschoolteacher 06:33 AM 06-18-2014
Yes, just tell her now. You may just end up teaming later for the reasons you mentioned, so it's better she has the summer to find something else.

Every time you feel guilty, just remind yourself it's the best choice for your family!!

I'd have second thoughts too.
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I agreed to watch teachers kids this fall. They paid a deposit. I ended up watching them before the end of the school year, and I decided I don't want to watch them this fall. The older boy is too mischievous, and needs direct eyes on at all times, and I have to wake super early, which wakes my 1 year up early, and my weekends are shot bc they are p at 5:30am everyday as a routine from me getting up during the week.

Can I just be honest with her and let her know that it isn't working out? I feel bad, but I just don't want to deal with them.
I agree....just be honest.

Having them earlier this summer before school got out was kind of like your trial period.

Just tell DCM you appreciated having the opportunity to watch them earlier and now after giving it some thought, you don't think you are the right fit for their needs.

Like preschoolteacher said, that way she will have the summer to find other care.
SunshineMama 06:38 AM 06-18-2014
Thanks. I feel bad, esp bc she's so nice and lives in my neighborhood, but it's a blessing that I got a glimpse of what they were like first.
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Thanks. I feel bad, esp bc she's so nice and lives in my neighborhood, but it's a blessing that I got a glimpse of what they were like first.
I swear the toughest/hardest kids have the nicest moms....

Hmm...
SunshineMama 06:47 AM 06-18-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I swear the toughest/hardest kids have the nicest moms....

Hmm...
So true. AND she direct deposits all of her funds a week in advance! Sigh.
Shell 07:14 AM 06-18-2014
I have had to do this before, and yes, you should just be honest. It's tough to let someone down, but it is in your best interest to put you/ your family first, or you will regret taking them on and missing out on family time and sleep. I have had to tell myself many times that I have to put my needs first!
taylorw1210 09:49 AM 06-18-2014
One of the best things about being our own boss is that we get to pick and choose who we have in our care. I understand feeling bad, but you honestly do not owe her childcare. Do you have a trial period in your contract? I also let the families know that the trial period is for the purpose of both parties deciding if we are a good fit for eachother. If you do not have a trial period, I would recommend implementing one and just letting her know that while you were happy to provide care for her children, but you do not feel that you're a good fit for her children and are not able to continue care for the Fall. If you just grin and bear it, you will most certainly start to resent that decision and not enjoy caring for them.
Reply Up