Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How is Everyone?
Cat Herder 01:19 PM 04-06-2020
Still open? Closed? Parents working with you, against you? How is your family doing? Kids settling in?

Got any new recipes? Starting a garden? Whats new with you?
Annalee 01:49 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Still open? Closed? Parents working with you, against you? How is your family doing? Kids settling in?

Off two weeks! Parents fine now that the grant will gradually allow me to refund/credit them.....only one really upset (to my face) before I was given this information.

Am working on getting things in order in my own home. Over the past several months taking care of my mamaw, many things was left alone and I need to deep clean. Hopefully, my time will be used wisely but I do enjoy just relaxing as well.

As for recipes, I have now had the chance to use my instapot and I love it. Have had it a long time but never took the time to use it. I am just placing a little of everything (meat and vegetables) so far, it's all been good.

Cooked a fresh-killed Turkey Sunday with some onions, wild game seasoning, and bacon laid on top along with some broth and butter to avoid the turkey being dry.

I got all my sons graduation invitations sent even though he probably will not march....

So, just moving forward with what I can!
Former Teacher 02:15 PM 04-06-2020
Parents wanted me to be self quarantined for 14 days. Then they told me last Friday that I should be okay to come back to work on Tuesday

Texted today to confirm...it's all good for tomorrow but they will let me know about Wednesday.

After I felt better....I rearranged the pantry and cabinets. I don't know what else I can do
happymom 02:46 PM 04-06-2020
Hey friends,

As you know, I am not a provider but just a mom with kids in daycare. After schools closed on the 13th, I kept my preschooler home from daycare.

I think daycare (4 large centers) announced official closer from March 26-April 6. When the owner made the announcement, it was also stated that we would not be expected to pay while they are closed. It is very helpful as my hours have been cut at work. But we are much better off than some, we still have 1 1/2 incomes.

Last week, all families received an email basically "polling" to find out how we feel about sending our kids back. After that, the closure was extended to at least April 17. I don't think I would send my children back that soon...but am prepared to start paying for daycare again whenever they open. Providers are really in a pickle.

My kids are doing well. Adjusting to all of this pretty well. My 8 year old is always coming up with "cures" for coronavirus. My 4 year old just keeps asking "when is coronavirus going to be over" (I'm with him). We celebrated my 8 year old's birthday last week, alone.

They are both on high alert about the word coronavirus. Now they talk about it in commercials on TV frequently.

I've got my garden going (inside, since we still have freezes). Tomatoes, lettuce and bell peppers! Just starting small.

I cleaned a storage area in my house and FOUND A BAG A FLOUR. I was so excited. Need to find some toilet paper next!
Lil_Diddle 04:35 PM 04-06-2020
Good days and bad days here. All but one of my families have at least parent working from home. I encouraged those that could a 50% discount to keep their kids home. And expressed concerns for health. I have one family that has been difficult, they finally put in their notice. It’s rough financially, and it’s another spot to fill for next school year but it’s probably for the best. I’ve also had some really amazing parents that pay the 50% no questions asked and we text back and forth checking in on eachother.

With only one kid besides my own, the days move slowly. The loss of income has been stressful but still manageable as I have no real need for expendable income at the moment. I watch almost all teachers kids, this time of year is when I start advertising for next year but I haven’t started yet as the timing does not feel right. And I wouldn’t feel comfortable having meetings and interviews.

I have a middle school child, her school has done little in terms of any direction or sending work. So we’ve just been doing our own things. She’s aware of what is going on and hasn’t been complaining about not seeing friends or going places. She has also been a great help with her preschool age brother and keeping him entertained. He’ll occasionally ask about his daycare friends. But hadn’t been too concerned.

I worry about the health of my parents as my dad has cancer and my mom works at a wholesale grocery retailer that is being hit hard by the public. I worry for my husband as well. Someone in the building he works at was tested positively recently.

It’s nerve wracking on so many levels. But I pray everyday and am grateful for each morning that we all continue to wake up healthy
Unregistered 04:55 PM 04-06-2020
I am still open. But instead of two working locations, I have one with 5 kids. Every day we have an online circle time (about 1 hour) and then an individual online lesson(about 30-45minutes) for my 4,5-5yo kids. One- two lessons every business day.
Second Home 05:01 PM 04-06-2020
When schools closed for the first two weeks all of my families decided to keep their kids home , 4 are teachers and the other family was self isolating ( both dcm and dck had been sick) . Now school is closed for another month and they are all staying home until we see what happens with school. I don't think schools will reopen until next school year .

I had one past family who is a paramedic ask if I could take their child while school is closed , so I said yes .

MD closed all daycares unless you applied for a essential personnel license to operate. So now the only way to open for this family was to apply for the essential personnel license. I got approved but I will have to wait until who knows when to get paid by the state.
So this is the beginning of the 4th week without pay.

My college daughter is having a hard time having to stay home , her work was forced to close so that really tough for her because she loves her job ( she teaches tae Kwon do).

My son is doing ok , he gets his school work done when the system is working . The school is being lenient with dates on the assignments because they know the system is overloaded.

My oldest daughter is in her first year of teaching , that is hard enough without having to figure out how to teach online.

My husband has also been working from home . We found out last week that his hours are going to be cut along with his salary.
So things are starting to stress me out.

We've been doing a lot of baking things from scratch. Playing games , basketball and walking more .

I went to pick up dog food and also came home with baby chicks. Gotta do what makes me feel good right.
flying_babyb 05:17 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Second Home:

My college daughter is having a hard time having to stay home , her work was forced to close so that really tough for her because she loves her job ( she teaches tae Kwon do).
I went to pick up dog food and also came home with baby chicks. Gotta do what makes me feel good right.
Could she do a online tae kwon do class? Mabey even a free thing to keep the kids active?
flying_babyb 05:22 PM 04-06-2020

Still open, still got most of my kids. I hate this, I moved her last month after two years of living 5 hours away. I was so excited to see my family monthly (im a hour away), I havent seen them since the day I moved (thanks covid 19). I did find time to start a 20 gallon fish tank, and clean the storage area. Though the whole covid 19 thing means I cant donate any of the junk!
BumbleBee 05:23 PM 04-06-2020
Open but low census (1-4 kiddos), many days with no kids. Current state order in effect only allows us to provide care for dependants of critical infrastructure workers. Order is set to expire on the 13th but will likely be extended.

Some parents are asking when I can take their kids again. Others have seemingly fallen off the face of the earth. Employee is wanting to come back. Not enough kids to deem it necessary so we wait.

Family...my 68 year old mom won't stay home. We've argued about it more than once. 66 year old dad is a paramedic. High exposure potential + crappy health = not good.
Josiegirl 03:34 AM 04-07-2020
CH, how are YOU doing in all of this?

It's encouraging and disheartening how it's all playing out differently for everyone. I guess we all cope the best way we know how; other alternatives wouldn't be good.

I've been kidless since end of May so no adjustments there. I'm a bit of a hermit anyways so not much different there either, except now that I *can't* go wherever whenever, I feel the need to do exactly those things now. It's been nicer here lately so have been getting stuff as I can, to start planting seeds indoors. Maybe it'll bring a sign of hope. Every time I drive by a patch of yellow or purple in someone's yard, I can feel my heart lighten up a bit. We video-chatted with our ds and his gf Friday night which was very nice; he works in a Home Depot and is usually in a small back corner room with only 1 other person but due to employee changes he's been brought onto the floor. Not a happy mom. Both our dds are now working from home TG, because 1 lives in Seattle and the other in NC. I feel I can worry a little bit less. I had been providing respite care to my sister for her dh who has dementia but that has decreased immensely. From maybe 10 hrs. a week to only a couple. I miss our time together but it is what it is. I think I'm mostly worried about my ds and my sister/dh.

Been reading a Lot, doing jigsaw puzzles, cleaning house, playing lots of Scrabble when dh gets home from work(I worry about him too). I did start a cross-stitch project but wow, making such slow progress.
Just very stressful and different times right now.
No new recipes because I'm not much of a cook anyhow. And such a struggle staying on a healthy eating plan being a stress eater.

As you can see, I'm not the most exciting person to know. Lol

Stay well everyone!!
Happymom, your post about your children's comments, and finding flour made me chuckle.
DaveA 03:36 AM 04-07-2020

Still open- one family is coming (both parents in healthcare). The rest have been great to work with and are still paying but working from home or otherwise waiting this out. Still waiting on finding out if/ when/ where DW will get recalled to nursing (probably through state of Illinois instead of Navy). Oldest DS deployed doing logistics/ material transport. Younger children doing ok with being home although DD HATES doing school work at home.

I hate to sound flippant about this, but honestly my life has not changed much. Between home based daycare and home based craft business I pretty much stayed on the property anyway. So just being a little more over the top on safety when I have to go out. Otherwise things are doing well all things considered.
Gemma 04:27 AM 04-07-2020

I'm still open but only 3 of my families are considered essential, the rest of the families are paying to save their spots. All my DCPs have been cooperative from the start, they're all great, I'm very lucky!

DH just got laid off, so on days that I have no kids we're working in the yard together, watch movies, play games....I had no idea how little time we spent together when we both worked full time. I can't help the situation, so I'm trying to stay positive, and actually enjoy the good things and live while I'm still alive.
Snowmom 06:49 AM 04-07-2020
Isn't it funny how most of us feel it's not a big deal to stay home, we do that anyway.

I'm open but low enrollment. Honestly, I really thought I would close. I still contemplate if I'm doing the right thing for my own family (and me with asthma).
I've lost a couple families but hold them no ill will. It was no fault of their own.

Then I have the typical three types of families left.

The amazing:
I have two amazing families that are staying home and paying me full amount without question. Actually, these are the moms on social media arguing about why you should be paying your daycare. I love them dearly!

The Complainers:
Then there are the ones who reluctantly pay you but not without a passive aggressive insult about how they don't want to. Even though it's their choice to keep their kid(s) home. Even though they still get paid their regular salary. I almost wish they would refuse so that I can, in all good conscious, say "too bad, so sad, you no longer have daycare. Byeee".

The IDK's:
I have several of those. They never tell me if/when they are coming. They pay, but wait to the very last second. They are untruthful about their schedules and communicate very, very little.

I think my view of people will be very different after all this is said and done.
Cat Herder 10:18 AM 04-07-2020
I've just been thinking about you guys and worrying. It got so quiet here and I knew that like me, when most are struggling, they get quiet. Just like the playroom, I only worry when the forum gets quiet.

Not much has changed here, really. I have an average of three kids per day, now. Each day varies in which ones. Many are actually planning family fun days for their kids mid-week, now, while juggling siblings and working/homeschooling so that is wonderful to see.

Of course, I miss my own adult kids, I have not seen their faces since February. I will miss all of their birthdays, DH'S and mine before we can get together again.

I did start the garden back up but was unable to get seedlings so had to start everything from seed. I have exactly one little leaf peeking up, so there is hope, I guess. The squirrels and chipmunks won't stop digging everything up, though.

I joined a meal delivery service to learn some new ideas and how to cook for two. It has been fun, the food is amazing but I actually gained weight, the opposite of the goal, so... Eh, whats three pounds in two weeks anyway.

I have been trying to read, but find my mind wandering too much. I will be glad when I have a little more control of my finances, again. Like the rest of you, I am sure.
e.j. 11:25 AM 04-07-2020

I've been closed as of March 23 per order of the governor. Up until then, I was open but only had 1 part time and 1 full time child coming. All of my other dc parents work as teachers or for local and state government. They're all working from home and keeping their kids with them. My dc parents have been wonderful! All were great about paying me while I was still open, even when their kids weren't coming. Two have continued to offer full tuition payments even though I'm closed and can't take kids. I haven't taken them up on it but it means so much that they've offered! All have stayed in touch, letting me know how they and their kids are doing. As far as I know, everyone is coming back once this is all over. I have one dc mom who is pregnant and due at the end of spring. I'm crossing my fingers for her and hoping all goes well.

My own family is doing well. I'm out of work but the company my husband is now working for considers itself to be "essential" so fortunately/unfortunately, he's still working. My son is working, as well. They at least have their incomes but I'm worried about both of them. They've both had people who have shown up at work sick so it's scary to think that their own health could be put at risk because of thoughtless coworkers. My dd is high risk because she gets frequent lung infections. She was recently treated for another one but is doing better now. She's trying to get a doctor's note advising her to stay out of work for the time being but she's having trouble getting a call back. Her boss told her to stay home last week and again for this week. Hopefully, she can get a note for at least another week or two. I'm relieved she's home for now.

I've tried a couple of new recipes - Poor Man's Stew (a different one from the one I have already tried) and Kielbasa and pineapple with bbq sauce - both crockpot recipes. They were good! We're keeping it fairly simple for meals right now. Don't want to have a new recipe bomb on me and have to go out shopping again! I'm trying to stay away from stores as much as possible now since they're predicting a "Coronavirus surge" for the next couple of weeks or so here.

My husband bought seeds for the garden which we'll have to start soon but we're in New England so it's too early to plant in the ground right now. Looking forward to having fresh-picked veggies through the summer. Can't wait!

I hope everyone stays well. This, too, shall pass!
flying_babyb 04:50 PM 04-07-2020
wanna hear sweet? We had a parent bring in a case of girl scout cookies today "Cause I appreacate you guys" then she looks at me and says "make sure the boss shares". It was funny! The funny thing is her kids not even the naughty one
Ariana 05:23 PM 04-07-2020
I feel really guilty BUT I am loving life right now The pandemic is scary as hell and I worry and cry about it on ocassion (so many deaths ) but I am loving how simple life has gotten for us. I am off and can tend to the kids, make lovely dinners, plan a garden and I feel much less day to day stress. There is still the stress of this crappy situation but dealing with parents day in and day out was definitely affecting my mental health. Now I feel like I am on an extended vacation with ZERO expectations to do or go anywhere. It is a weird sort of bliss.

I don’t think I will be opening back up once this is over. Don’t want to give this up. Also not one parent has asked how I am doing since I closed 3 weeks ago so pretty sure they couldn’t care less about me! Lol
Msdunny 05:38 PM 04-07-2020
I'm on my third week closed. All my families are teachers or have at least one parent who is non-essential. I offered half-25% rates ($80/week) to hold spots.They have all paid that rate to cover through the end of April, so I know I have 3-4 more weeks of this. If I am approved for unemployment, I will refund these rates when we come back.

I am working on the yard, working out, and have started doing yoga every day to help with the stress of "not knowing". I feel safe. My husband is working his full time job from home, and leaves to work at Target every evening and on weekend days. My son's restaurant is doing take out and is selling out every night. My other son was hired for a job just before the shut down and hasn't been able to start that job. He's hoping to start at Target with his dad soon. My daughter normally works with me, so we are both hanging out and trying to look busy.

I was able to spend last weekend with the twins I used to nanny. It was a treat, but reinforced my desire to own my own business and to things MY way.

We have a birthday here tomorrow, so we will celebrate as well as we can.

I hope everyone stays well!!
Msdunny 05:39 PM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I feel really guilty BUT I am loving life right now The pandemic is scary as hell and I worry and cry about it on ocassion (so many deaths ) but I am loving how simple life has gotten for us. I am off and can tend to the kids, make lovely dinners, plan a garden and I feel much less day to day stress. There is still the stress of this crappy situation but dealing with parents day in and day out was definitely affecting my mental health. Now I feel like I am on an extended vacation with ZERO expectations to do or go anywhere. It is a weird sort of bliss.

I don’t think I will be opening back up once this is over. Don’t want to give this up. Also not one parent has asked how I am doing since I closed 3 weeks ago so pretty sure they couldn’t care less about me! Lol
I have days where these very thoughts cross my mind! What can I do otherwise? I guess I have some time to figure it out!
Lil_Diddle 09:07 PM 04-07-2020
Omg! Yes you just described all of my current daycare families! Haha

Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Isn't it funny how most of us feel it's not a big deal to stay home, we do that anyway.

I'm open but low enrollment. Honestly, I really thought I would close. I still contemplate if I'm doing the right thing for my own family (and me with asthma).
I've lost a couple families but hold them no ill will. It was no fault of their own.

Then I have the typical three types of families left.

The amazing:
I have two amazing families that are staying home and paying me full amount without question. Actually, these are the moms on social media arguing about why you should be paying your daycare. I love them dearly!

The Complainers:
Then there are the ones who reluctantly pay you but not without a passive aggressive insult about how they don't want to. Even though it's their choice to keep their kid(s) home. Even though they still get paid their regular salary. I almost wish they would refuse so that I can, in all good conscious, say "too bad, so sad, you no longer have daycare. Byeee".

The IDK's:
I have several of those. They never tell me if/when they are coming. They pay, but wait to the very last second. They are untruthful about their schedules and communicate very, very little.

I think my view of people will be very different after all this is said and done.

Blackcat31 06:24 AM 04-08-2020
I'm hanging in there. I am super busy...so not much time for any type of relaxing or stressing lol!

Of the regular full time families most are attending. A couple are at home.
All are still paying as I am open.

Of the few I have home, one of off work and enjoying their time as a family. Another is choosing to keep both kids out of care while she works from home and the other I am refusing to provide care (not a self-pay parent but works and the other parent in the home has never worked and said isn't really a "hands-on-parent") so I denied care so parent had the opportunity to learn how to be a hands-on-parent.

The ones I have that are attending have parents that work in Tier 1 catagories (a doctor, nurses, law enforcement, a vet and DHS) so their kids are here full time as normal.

I have been doing all drop offs/pick ups outside the fence. No parents can enter the yard or house AT ALL. Kids go directly to wash hands/faces immediately upon arrival. Reverse at pick up. It's actually been kind of nice...no parent chit chat at beginning or end of day. That is blissful in many ways.

I spend a good portion of my day sanitizing and disinfecting before opening, during the day and then afterwards. That is more exhausting than anything. But I feel it's necessary.

Finding supplies hasn't been too difficult; yet but I do anticipate some issues before too long for things like Lysol or antibacterial wipes and/hand sanitizer. Plenty of toilet paper and paper towels. I usually stockpile this stuff and am glad I do so I am using stuff I've already had prior to this.

I worry about my own family. I am terrified my DH will get sick. He's doing the best he can but refuses to live in a bubble. My daughter is working like crazy and I am nervous for her as she works directly on the COVID floor of the hospital. My son was laid off and then called back to work as his company was deemed essential so I am glad he is able to maintain his income and not be confined to boredom at home. He already struggles with depression/anxiety. The routine of working is beneficial for him.

We only have 3 cases so far in my county but it's still too many and still worrisome.

Definitely hoping everyone stays safe and healthy!!
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
This is so true! It's times like these in which you learn the most about others. Thankfully though there seems to be a pretty even divide as far as people's behavior in general both clients and the public. Some are being fantastic and really going above and beyond while others I just want to punch in the throat.
Valerie928 07:53 AM 04-08-2020
Hanging in there here. I think I have been through all the stages of some kind of grieving process pertaining to the virus. I cried a lot, but not so much now. Now it's survival mode.
I am still providing care 3 days a week for essentially employed parents. I like the less day a week and will keep it this way.
My husband runs an essential business, he laid off some and now has handful of people per shift to reduce the density. The facility is huge so the six feet apart goes even further apart. While all this is ok, I am still panicking. I am scared he will get sick because quite frankly this virus is everywhere and nobody can be sure of their outcome. It's not just an elderly person problem. No town, city ect is free from this. I am proud of my husband for working but scared shitless.
One day at a time. But I tell you, even when the stay at home is lifted, I will not attend a movie for example, I will not go anywhere where there are crowds of people, especially indoors. I view things so different now.
Gemma 08:51 AM 04-08-2020

I know what you mean!
I'm still open with 1-3 kids of essential workers, but even the days with 3 kids I don't work any way near what I used to, and I'm really liking this down time...it is giving us a chance to spend time together and work in the yard .. I can't help but feeling a bit guilty for being happy
Baby Beluga 10:05 AM 04-08-2020

We've often talked about the pendulum swinging back on this forum in regard to parenting and home lives. I am curious to see if this situation will cause society to swing back to a more 50's era SAHM society where Moms tend to the house, kids, gardens, and Dads work outside of the house.
Cat Herder 10:30 AM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
We've often talked about the pendulum swinging back on this forum in regard to parenting and home lives. I am curious to see if this situation will cause society to swing back to a more 50's era SAHM society where Moms tend to the house, kids, gardens, and Dads work outside of the house.
Until young couples stop expecting to have kids on year two of marriage, live in McMansions, join the best gyms, wear designer clothing, eat out weekly, take annual two-week vacations and drive new vehicles before they have paid off student loans, built nest eggs, saved emergency funds and earned some seniority at work, it probably won't last very long. When that died, so did the SAHM era.

Also, as a mother of sons I don't want their wives at home full-time while they slave away and miss everything and are accused of never helping out or understanding. The wives would miss out learning to be self-sufficient and whole and will eventually resent it, anyway. An overworked husband cannot meet the emotional or social needs of a woman with no other people or activities in her life. Also, It feels amazing to know that if something happened to your husband, you can make it alone. I don't want to take that away.

I would love it if they could each simply work fewer, staggered hours so each has time alone caring for their children and home, then they could have their nights and weekends as a family. A true marriage and partnership. I mean, if they let me run the world and all.
daycarediva 11:04 AM 04-08-2020

SAME. I am a super introvert. I was hoping for several things
1. All my teacher kids left-alllll had serious issues we were counting down days until June for.
2. The local children's play place was shut down (the owner was just arrested for felony child abuse, and since isn't providing care, is still able to operate a play area)
3. I HATE school. Our days are SO much better without worrying about the bus times. It's like summer.
4. My side business is BOOMING, with just phone calls/texts and NOT in person meetings it usually requires (and that drain this introvert).
5. Sports boosters is now group text chats. (introvert)
6. Parents picking up and dropping off outside. (introvert)
7. "Sorry we can't get together. Social distancing!" (introvert)

I could continue

Until young couples stop expecting to have kids on year two of marriage, live in McMansions, join the best gyms, wear designer clothing, eat out weekly, take annual two-week vacations and drive new vehicles before they have paid off student loans, built nest eggs, saved emergency funds and earned some seniority at work, it probably won't last very long. When that died, so did the SAHM era.

Also, as a mother of sons I don't want their wives at home full-time while they slave away and miss everything and are accused of never helping out or understanding. The wives would miss out learning to be self-sufficient and whole and will eventually resent it, anyway. An overworked husband cannot meet the emotional or social needs of a woman with no other people or activities in her life. Also, It feels amazing to know that if something happened to your husband, you can make it alone. I don't want to take that away.

I would love it if they could each simply work fewer, staggered hours so each has time alone caring for their children and home, then they could have their nights and weekends as a family. A true marriage and partnership. I mean, if they let me run the world and all.
AGREEEEE.

Dcm begging for discounts PRE CORONA just bought a mcmansion, boat, new car and huge, new truck. Newest cells, 3,000 GAMING CHAIR, hair and nails done, you name it. Then "I wish I could be a SAHM. You see them more than I do."

choices, ya'll. MANY of us make the wrong one.

Also agree with that statement. I have always earned an income and my husband has been a SAHD or cut back on hours to be with the kids when needed and is SO hands on that he could run the show. There was never that 'walk past Dad to ask Mom' situation in our house. We also made huge financial sacrifices to ensure that we were there, and are just now comfortable enough to afford things like vacations, name brand clothes, etc (but we also still don't do it.) HAHA
Ariana 02:26 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
This has honestly always been my dream, since I was a teenager. I felt too much pressure to “waste my potential” to do it. I guess I chose the next best thing...and still wasted my potential.

I think this has proven to my husband most of all that this way of life IS better. That we CAN more than afford it and that having gobs of money that we have no time to enjoy or spend is just plain dumb. He also enjoys a happier wife

And YES DaycareDiva the introverts are finally winning
BoysMom 03:04 PM 04-08-2020
I've been closed for almost 4 weeks now, since my sons' school sent them home. I only care for two other school families, 2 kids each, plus my own two youngest sons so when there's no school, there's no daycare. We've just been told that they're not going back to school this year, so I'm officially closed until mid-August. I'm hoping to be able to collect pandemic unemployment for the 10 weeks I'm supervising my own kids' schooling instead of watching dcks, but fortunately all our day-to-day budgeting is covered by DH's paychecks so the lack of funds coming in isn't an urgent problem.

I'm loving the laid-back evenings with no sports practices or games, no meetings, and no homework battles. DH is going in to work (distance education support) early since he isn't dropping our older kids at school which means he's home earlier in the evenings too. My days are just as stressful as dc, but in a different way. I'm helping my 6th grader navigate his online classes and keeping it quiet enough for him, supervising/schooling a 4th grader and 2nd grader with their weekly assignments, and still caring for my 2 and 4 year olds who don't really understand why brothers are home but still doing school and why their friends aren't coming over every day anymore. I look forward to naptime every afternoon when no one is allowed to bother Mommy when she's working on her jigsaw puzzles.
Baby Beluga 07:58 AM 04-09-2020

Good point!

I would love it if they could each simply work fewer, staggered hours so each has time alone caring for their children and home, then they could have their nights and weekends as a family. A true marriage and partnership.I mean, if they let me run the world and all.
Can you make this happen? I see the benefits on so many different levels.
CenterTeacher20 09:44 AM 04-09-2020
SO READY FOR A 4 DAY WEEKEND!
Annalee 09:49 AM 04-09-2020

Yes, yes and yes!
kidsncats 01:37 PM 04-09-2020

I'm with you.

This might actually turn out to be early retirement for me. I've been closed down since March 13th, and I've done a lot of cooking/cleaning/sewing. Things that weren't always an option when caring for 4 kids under age 2 1/2.

Stay well, and take care out there!
Sunchimes 07:05 PM 04-09-2020
I am doing ok. I closed on March 25 after my doctor told me I must. I am older with a risk factor. Because my handbook says that if I am closed, they don't pay (boy will that change!), Mom won't pay. The original plan was that I would stay open until forced to close, but since she is essential, I would still be working. I was so glad he said that.

I lost my husband in January after a really hard couple of years taking care of him and these kids. The hours, the stress, the grief were taking a toll on me. I feel better, and more contented that I have in a couple of years, when he first got sick.

I haven't been paid in nearly a month, and I am doing ok with just my social security. I would like to find a part time job and close the daycare. I can make almost as much in 20 hours as I am making in 60 hours now. Without wanting to be home with my husband, I don't see any reason to re-open. Except. Small town. Few jobs, especially after this. I suspect people will be fighting for jobs. And I have been self employed since 1980. I don't even know how to apply for a job. But, I think I am burned out, and ready for a change. I'm not making a decision now, and will probably open up long enough for her to find new care. Which is probably impossible in this town.

As for me, I am as happy as I expect I will ever be without my husband. My happiness level was always a 9 or 10. When he started getting sick, it dropped accordingly. By Christmas, it was a 2. After I lost him, it was a zero. I went back to work 4 days later, because dcm needed me. But, since I closed down, even though I am here alone, I am very contented. I would rather have my husband here, as he was 3 or 4 years ago, but I have to be thankful that he isn't having to deal with what would be a nightmare for him right now.

I have been cleaning everything that was neglected the past 2 years. You no longer have to leap backward when you open a closet. And I am just getting started. I don't see myself doing this past summer at the very latest.
Josiegirl 04:41 AM 04-10-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
wanna hear sweet? We had a parent bring in a case of girl scout cookies today "Cause I appreacate you guys" then she looks at me and says "make sure the boss shares". It was funny! The funny thing is her kids not even the naughty one
That's so nice
Josiegirl 04:43 AM 04-10-2020
Sunchimes
Sending you thoughts of continued strength and courage, hope and contentment.
Cat Herder 05:04 AM 04-10-2020
Sunchimes.

I kind of want to punch your DCM in the throat, though.

I hope you find a wonderful job somewhere like Hallmark store where most days are fun because the customers are there shopping for things that make people happy. I hope you don't have to see the whites of that DCM's selfish eyes ever again.

You are so strong.
flying_babyb 05:44 PM 04-10-2020
omg! On the topic of parents who suprize you, one of our parents showed up today with a pile of homemaid masks for all of us!
Josiegirl 03:59 AM 04-11-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
omg! On the topic of parents who suprize you, one of our parents showed up today with a pile of homemaid masks for all of us!

Yep, this crisis will definitely help you all determine the true characters of your dcparents!! It separates the good, bad, and ugly with a deep chasm, doesn't it??
Josiegirl 04:01 AM 04-11-2020
I'm excited because our 3 adult kids will be video-chatting with us tomorrow(Sunday)!! We haven't seen them since Christmas. It's incredibly difficult having them live so far away. Okay, 1 lives just across the state but still, people(adult children ) get busy and just don't have the time for their parents anymore.
Ariana 06:47 AM 04-11-2020
Sunchimes.

I kind of want to punch your DCM in the throat, though.

I hope you find a wonderful job somewhere like Hallmark store where most days are fun because the customers are there shopping for things that make people happy. I hope you don't have to see the whites of that DCM's selfish eyes ever again.

You are so strong.
THIS!!

Thinking of you during all of this and wishing you the best
Ariana 06:50 AM 04-11-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:

Yep, this crisis will definitely help you all determine the true characters of your dcparents!! It separates the good, bad, and ugly with a deep chasm, doesn't it??
I keep getting narcissistic texts from one mom with pics and videos of her kid doing so many wonderful amazing things (all developmentally appropriate things ) and not one word from my other two families other than “do you have any lunch ideas” and “what is your daily schedule”.....I think this is the first time they realized their kids actually do things and eat things at my house
flying_babyb 10:54 AM 04-11-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:

I was shocked too, cause this is a parent that is a real pain. Like chewed her kid out for leaving his hat on the playground (causing him to cry), chewed me a new one cause the kid had dirt on his chin (we were on the playground), ect. super picky parent (this woman took her child out of state, then came back asking us to make sure we documented when the child washes his hands)
Cat Herder 01:10 PM 04-20-2020
2 weeks later. Two to four more weeks to go? Ugh.

I am still open with full attendance and full payment. I still do the morning health check before drop off and monitor for symptoms. Same cleaning, disinfecting routine. I am so glad I did not close. No one here who did has had any income assistance according to all of our Facebook pages.

I have enough cleaning supplies for another couple weeks then I will have to start getting creative. I am so glad I had just filled my monthly order for March when this thing hit. I have been making it go further by using bleach and all-purpose Lysol liquid for a few more things around the house than usual and saving the Odoban for the playroom, only. I have been trying for two weeks to find some with no luck. We could only find the Clorox Fragranzia handsoap and I am trying to get used to my hands smelling like floor cleaner (to me). The scent is so strong.

My DH is making store runs once per week. We stocked the freezers really well for winter so that has held out pretty good. I am missing the farmers' markets for fresh veggies and plants, though. Late frost killed my few seedlings so I am having to start over in the garden.
flying_babyb 04:48 PM 04-20-2020
still open, still working! We have a few kids who pulled temporally. We had one parent tell us that his work had cases, so he sent the kids to a relitive and said to us that he didnt want to risk us or our kids.
Josiegirl 03:29 AM 04-21-2020
I hope, when this is all said and done and life returns to (a new) normal, that you can all go through your current dcfs and show your deep appreciation for *their* deep appreciation by only keeping the good ones. And letting those that have been taking advantage of you all, go find someone else who they don't consider "essential". IYKWIM

Have a great day and stay well!!!
DaveA 03:54 AM 04-21-2020
Still open with some healthcare DCPs. 1 family is scheduled to restart next week, another the week after.

DW is still home. It's amazing to watch. The thing I'm most cynical about is the bureaucracy cannot get help itself but be useless. They want her. She feels duty bound to go. But somewhere in this she disappears. Literally the first 2 weeks her paperwork kept getting dumped because the program kept thinking she was a bot and not a real application. And even in a crisis no one can fix it. So you have someone who checks all the boxes for what they want/ need sitting on her a@@ because the system is more important than the results. It's made me a teeny bit reluctant to believe in the government's to handle this without screwing it up completely for everyone.

Issue I'm having right now is I'm going in and out of Afib again. Basically I've been in it since late January. For lack of a better term-apparently right now cardiac problems are not a priority. Doctor's office is trying to get it scheduled for an ablation to fix it. But what should have taken a bit over a month to test, diagnose, & treat is over 3 now. I get it- I'm younger, not obese, and otherwise low risk. But to have a cardiologist's office unable to schedule things is annoying to put it mildly.

Surprisingly enough in spite of it all I'm quite content. I'm spending more time with my wife & kids, more time out in shop, and even enjoying the start of spring. So all in all it's a mixed bag but positive.
jenboo 09:41 AM 04-21-2020
Ive had one family terminate care, one reduce from 3 days to 1, 3 are staying home but still paying and 1 still coming full time.

Im so ready for this to be over. Im so stressed over income. We haven't received our stimulus check and have no idea when we will, our taxes won't be processed until June or later... my husband still has his regular schedule so at least there is that.
Meeko 12:08 PM 04-21-2020
Still open. But lower numbers. We usually have 16 in attendance. We've been averaging about 6-9 since some of our parents are working from home. We are still being paid normal rates as most want a daycare to come back to when this is over.
We lost 4 kids, but gained two...so not bad at all.

Hang in there....I am positive there is going to be a rush for daycare when this is over.
Josiegirl 03:51 AM 04-26-2020
Updates anyone?
Is everyone still hanging in there?

I've been reading a lot more, ordering jigsaw puzzles from Bits and Pieces, watching more movies(mostly thrillers) and I've been planning my garden. I planted peas, have got tomatoes growing from the slices I stuck in dirt, have lots of marigolds growing from seeds. As soon as planting outside can happen, I'm planting cucumbers, sunflowers, green beans. Trying to root sweet potatoes in water, tried growing peppers and spaghetti squash from seeds I saved from veggies but nada so far and it's been 3 weeks.

Unfortunately I'm also stress eating like there's no tomorrow. Also worried that people I love are going to get sick with this. My dd 3000 miles away(Oh why why why did she have to move that far away??)has been feeling sick and headachy but I *think* is feeling better so I think it's the stress of buying a house and having to move all their stuff by themselves. My niece emailed last night and said she's got a lot of the symptoms of Covid-19 so won't be coming to help her parents(my sister/BIL) out this week as planned. I'm not much of a pray-er but I pray she's okay because she tends to have lung issues and is 50.

I hope everyone here is staying healthy and hopeful through all of this.

Side question, is anyone having car issues now? I've had to jump my battery 2x now so will need to bring it to the mechanic for a replacement, might as well get the summer tires put on while it's there.
Cat Herder 05:25 AM 04-26-2020
No changes, here. Same schedule, same routine, same kids. Several were staying home a couple of days per week and spending time with their parents, but that did not last two whole weeks before they were back full-time, 50 hours per week. One is here an hour longer per day, now. *That* one , of course. All are working from home, still.

I gave up my spring break week to minimize the financial risk in case I did have to close and lose income. Now I am pretty worn out. I will have to go a full 12 months before my next week off before this is over, now. Other than a few three-four day weekends, it will be a long year. On the plus side, I am actually ahead on my bills and savings. That I did not see coming, I suppose. Silver lining. I am so tired.

I sold my vehicle a while back. With both of us working from home and having two others it was rarely driven and the cost of maintenance/insurance did not make sense anymore. I paid it off a long time ago.

All restaurants, gyms, hair salons, movie theatres, bowling alleys, etc. open back up tomorrow so I guess we are going to go on like life is normal with some BSI and Decon measures. I am just looking forward to the Memorial Day three day weekend for a break.
Annalee 06:20 AM 04-26-2020
Daycare has been good since opening up Monday with attendance still down. My sign in/out is outside on my covered porch per the state's request and that is working wonderfully for more reasons than Covid 19. Most things open up here tomorrow with the exception of hair, nails, tanning, tattoos, etc. It is unclear when they will open. Restaurants and retail employees will open wearing masks and 50% occupancy then phase into 100% occupancy over the next few weeks.

I really feel like everyone needs to go back to work for the sake of the economy, but I don't think that's the problem. It's the people who don't have to work or be out and about that's the problem. While I'm not terrified of the virus, I wouldn't take multiple family members to go get groceries either and that's what is happening. People are congregating at too many places.

If everyone would use common sense, this can work! But we shall see in a couple weeks how things are?

My nephews weddings for mid-May and mid-June have already been replaced with a small number-count to meet guidelines. High School Graduations are trying to be re-scheduled but?

Personally, I it is beginning to feel a little eerie at times but I am in the country so spending time around the house and the family members that live near me is pretty normal for us!
DaveA 07:02 AM 04-26-2020
Daycare wise pretty good. One family is supposed to start back next week & another the week after. Both have been paying while working from home.

I'm going to owe the UPS drivers some Tylenol after this. I've been stocking up for some projects and stuff. None of it has been light and I haven't even ordered steel yet. The worst was I ordered a large section of burl wood for making into handle material. Nothing like getting sent a chunk of a tree.

I'm about to find out how the auto stuff is going to work. MIL clipped the front bumper backing out of the garage. Nothing structural but of course broke all the clips & plastic parts. UGH

Otherwise hanging in there & staying safe.
flying_babyb 01:50 PM 04-26-2020
still open, Our old teacher who was investigated starts back tommrow (which means the boss can fire airhead)!! We are upgrading our fish tank, so I ended up adopting the old stand, So now im covered in a lovely slate grey spary paint (and struggling to get it off the wall where it oversprayed ) but our old stand (that is now my tv stand) has never looked better
Jupadia 06:02 PM 04-26-2020
I've still got no kids comming, but they announced today schools would be closed till May 31. Provincial parks are closed also till the end of May. doupt they will end up opening for just June in the end. Everything is still scheduled to be shut till may 6 or 11, cant remember which. No official dates as to when things may reopen.
I'll be lucky to start getting calls in July I think at this point or kids comming back.
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 04-27-2020
Hanging in there as well...

The biggest thing I struggle with is the wonky schedules my clients seem to have lately. I understand due to their employers trying to keep everyone on the pay roll and it doesn't really effect my income as they all still pay their weekly rates but the lack of structure on everyone in care definitely shows.

We've ditched curriculum for the remainder of the years as public schools did the same but seems "free play" isn't really something any of these kiddos do well long term.

I lost 3 kids but gained 2 so it's no a huge deal but nothing worse than trying to get 2 new kids to understand our routines when we really aren't following too many of them ourselves. I find myself saying "Well, normally we... ______" ALOT

But my state is starting a slow process to reopen... Our stay at home orders are set to end May 1st but I honestly think our Governor will move it forward a bit. He is allowing certain non-essential businesses to reopen IF they have a safety plan in place for their employees and for the public.

We'll see how that goes I guess... I want it to happen as people can't go on much longer like this. But I do fear it might still be too early for some parts of the state. Like others, all I can do is practice patience and pray.

Hoping everyone stays healthy!
Annalee 06:21 AM 04-27-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Hanging in there as well...

The biggest thing I struggle with is the wonky schedules my clients seem to have lately. I understand due to their employers trying to keep everyone on the pay roll and it doesn't really effect my income as they all still pay their weekly rates but the lack of structure on everyone in care definitely shows.

We've ditched curriculum for the remainder of the years as public schools did the same but seems "free play" isn't really something any of these kiddos do well long term.

I lost 3 kids but gained 2 so it's no a huge deal but nothing worse than trying to get 2 new kids to understand our routines when we really aren't following too many of them ourselves. I find myself saying "Well, normally we... ______" ALOT

But my state is starting a slow process to reopen... Our stay at home orders are set to end May 1st but I honestly think our Governor will move it forward a bit. He is allowing certain non-essential businesses to reopen IF they have a safety plan in place for their employees and for the public.

We'll see how that goes I guess... I want it to happen as people can't go on much longer like this. But I do fear it might still be too early for some parts of the state. Like others, all I can do is practice patience and pray.

Hoping everyone stays healthy!
I understand! Taking my calendar/weather grid from March into May. April got left by the wayside. I expected the majority of my children to be back this morning, but many paid on zelle yesterday and I only have 5. Similarly, things are opening up here slowly, but feel like this eery way of living will be with us all summer???
Cat Herder 07:13 AM 04-27-2020
I don't expect my state to extend the May 1st order. Many of those applying for unemployment never got it and the ones who did are making more than they did before. It is setting up a dangerous situation politically here. Neighbors are turning on neighbors.

Robberies, theft and home invasions are up. People from the inner city have flooded our rural towns looking for supplies and auto thefts, violence, police chases and high-speed rollover vehicle accidents are up. It isn't pretty.

The line between the haves and have-nots is becoming a cry to discord, acting out, shaming and robin hood syndrome. I am keeping my weapons loaded, now.
Snowmom 09:50 AM 04-27-2020
I don't expect my state to extend the May 1st order. Many of those applying for unemployment never got it and the ones who did are making more than they did before. It is setting up a dangerous situation politically here. Neighbors are turning on neighbors.

Robberies, theft and home invasions are up. People from the inner city have flooded our rural towns looking for supplies and auto thefts, violence, police chases and high-speed rollover vehicle accidents are up. It isn't pretty.

The line between the haves and have-nots is becoming a cry to discord, acting out, shaming and robin hood syndrome. I am keeping my weapons loaded, now.
Yikes!

We did go buy a gun. I never thought my husband and I would. But, peace of mind and all. Still makes me nervous.

Cleaning supplies are still sparse around here too.
My licensor has dropped off a few that she rummaged from her friends! I'm grateful.

Only two attending. Others are only paying a holding fee to get me by financially.
Let go of one who flat out lied to me and was caught via a social media post.

Applied for state grant... denied
Applied for PPP... never got past the application process (waiting to see with new funding but I won't hold my breath).
Applied for EIDL... never heard a word
Applied for local grant... never heard a word
Applied for unemployment... never heard a word beyond "you qualify for $0".

Oh, and 2 who were suppose to start, cancelled.
MyAngels 12:14 PM 04-27-2020
Our governor just extended the stay home order for another month, and now has decided face masks are mandatory when out and about .

I was ghosted by one family on payment that I actually never saw coming, but whatever. Now I can apply for unemployment, if my state ever gets around to opening it up for the self-employed

I applied for the PPP this morning, but who knows how that will go

I applied for EIDL too, but never heard anything back

On the plus side, I'm getting plenty of exercise rolling my eyes at all this
flying_babyb 04:45 PM 04-27-2020
yea we are trying to keep a bit of curriclum. We do group twice daily (basically a book, a song, and a color game). We do a art project too. Thats about it, a whole lot of outside time and playing.
CenterTeacher20 06:43 AM 04-28-2020
Our governor is allowing bars, restaurants, stores, etc. to open this weekend.

My state is NOT ready for this!!!
Sunshine69 07:33 AM 04-28-2020
I’m still open. Attendance is down but clients are still paying as they are getting paid to stay home.

I’m not taking drop-ins for now. The one I had was a pain and it was a project to get paid, too. I’m not missing that. I encouraged parent to use this time to find another provider, but nope. I don’t think anyone else wants to put up with them either.

I still have no idea when parents will go back to work or when school will open. I’m not looking forward to it.

In my state, we have to wear masks whenever we’re within 6 feet of anyone so that means all providers and children over 2 in daycare. The only masks I can find are homemade. I hope parents will be able to provide masks for their kids when they come back because that is not another responsibility I plan to take on. The cost of doing business is making it not worth it.

I’m still trying to work out how we will have meals. Obviously difficult with a face mask. I don’t have the room to keep the kids 6 feet apart and feeding in shifts is gonna take me the whole day with the dawdlers.

Kids are doing schoolwork at home and parents are overseeing them. I hope they don’t expect the same of me because they will be disappointed. I have two one-year old twins that are into climbing. Can’t take your eyes off them for a second.
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by CenterTeacher20:
Our governor is allowing bars, restaurants, stores, etc. to open this weekend.

My state is NOT ready for this!!!
Depends on what part of the state you live.

The metro areas need to do additional things in order to maintain the safety and health of employees and the public but if they can make changes and alterations to the way they do things it is not unrealistic to partially re-open
CenterTeacher20 07:46 AM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Depends on what part of the state you live.

The metro areas need to do additional things in order to maintain the safety and health of employees and the public but if they can make changes and alterations to the way they do things it is not unrealistic to partially re-open
Yeah I live in the big metro area in my state, there are going to be new guidelines for physical distancing. I just hope everyone's smart about it.
Blackcat31 09:13 AM 04-28-2020
Originally Posted by CenterTeacher20:
Yeah I live in the big metro area in my state, there are going to be new guidelines for physical distancing. I just hope everyone's smart about it.
Plus, it's not said yet whether or not the Gov will or won't extend the stay at home orders that expire this weekend.

There is nothing yet set that says the state WILL open.
I have seen some non-essential businesses be allowed to open as they aren't heavily involved with the public.

But the Gov is more hesitant to do the same for eat-in establishments, concert halls and other places where people congregate.
Ac114 12:57 PM 04-28-2020
Our gov. Made the announcement on Monday that the first business to open is dental offices starting on Friday. But In the same sentence says we don’t have enough PPE for our medical staff. The following week construction and manufacturing jobs and then the following week is all retail stores. He just made it mandatory to wear masks to enter any business or you will be denied entry. 🤦🏼*♀️ So this entire time it’s been highly recommended and now mandatory. Still on a stay put order through phase 2. I am so ready for normalcy!
Tags:checking in, community, socialization
Reply Up