Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Check Out My Handbook/Policy
frugalmama4 11:48 PM 04-04-2012
Ok season vet's please be kind I a newbie!

So after reading so many threads and checking out others handbooks, I think I've covered all my bases. I know I have too much personal junk included...but I can't bring myself to delete it. Please note: once I get my website up an running I plan to take most the personal touches out and dump it in a Blog type section.

I do have an index page (still re-doing the pg numbers) but it will be added. I have decide not to give out a handbook at interviews too much$$$ 34 dang pages . But once enrolled and first weeks tuition has been paid then I will give it.

P.S if you happen to see any of your WORDING please don't shoot me...take it as flatting...I did pull things from previous threads. All so helpfully... this forum.

Oh, also please comment on the name. Is it too much/not kool/not catching/silly...I'm second guesting myself here. BTW I have business card and a DBA already maybe I should have asked before hand...silly goose I'am
Attached: Parent HandBook.pdf (615.0 KB) 
frugalmama4 06:39 AM 04-05-2012
Good Morning,

No one has any feed back for me I know its long...do I need to cut it back/change anything? Please give me your feed back thanks!
Blackcat31 06:43 AM 04-05-2012
I am reading it right now so hang on a bit and I will add some feedback in a few minutes.....
countrymom 06:58 AM 04-05-2012
so I started reading it, for me, I would get rid of the first 4 pages. Trust me, know one reads them. Also, I don't advertise my hours, everyone is on contract hours.
MrsB 07:27 AM 04-05-2012
Just throwing a few things out there. Not right or wrong, just feedback.

parent/child vacations- i am a little confused by the paragraph. I get that they are allowed 2 weeks of vacation and one week nothing will be charged. My confusion is that their second week they HAVE to take when you take yours? If they still have to pay for the slot at regular rate why would they need to give you two weeks notice for it.

parent/child sick days - you might want to add something in regards to the extended leave times. Something about requiring a schedule of the 2 days the child will be in attendance at least ______ days in advance. Otherwise you will have people just showing up. Same paragraph last sentence says hold fess.

Special diets: You may not want to include medical condition diets as they may need to be provided by parents. Sometimes kids with medical conditions require things like pediasure and other things that you would want the parents to provide.

Field trips- so are you saying that if a parent decides they dont want their child to go on a field trip YOU are going to get someone else to come watch the child in your home? If they dont want their child to go on a field trip its their responsibility to find other care.

abuse/neglect may want to rephrase a little that you are mandated to report SUSPECTED child abuse.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 04-05-2012
the opening page poem intro....really cute and welcoming!

You stated that you will give notice for all changes in your contract except new regulations that happen and those will be immediate....what happens if a parent doesn't agree to these new regulations? Do they still have to give two weeks notice?

On page 4 you wrote: "This is way I vow to become the Extended Family Member your family can count on."....that sentence doesn't make sense to me.

When stating rules about your assistant not working for families outside of care you wrote "assistance" when you really mean "assistants".

In the vacation section you said, each family will get two weeks vacation per year with the first week not charged but the second week they have to pay for.....that doesn't seem like two weeks then.

I would say, "Each family gets one week of vacation at no chare and all other weeks will require payment in full whether or not your child attends care." Otherwise, it is kind of mis-leading as to how much time off they get for vaction IMHO.

I am a bit confused about the trial period you are offering. Why is it at the parents request? I think YOU should give a trial period to everyone so you don't have to deal with two weeks notice for someone who may not fit in after a few days. Also if you do the 1 week trial period at the parents request are they required to pay for a two weeks notice if they decide not to stay and enroll?

In your curriculum area I think you should change "Domestic Play" to "Dramatic Play" the first one sounds like a possible 911 call from a spouse...LOL!

Are you on the food program or do you just follow the USDA guidelines?

In the diaper section, I would write "A $2.50 charge for any time I must provide diapers and supplies for a changing" When you write .50 cents per wipe, that sounds kinda funny, like as a parent I would be like, "oh, I hope she only uses one wipe, I can't afford 2 or 3" Know what I mean? Easier understood if you just combine the price.

In your illness section you advise parents to notify you of anything a child may be infected with, I would use the word exposed becuase a child could be exposed to strep throat but necessarily have it themselves so I would want to know if a child was exposed before I want to know if a child has something.

I would also add some thing about a parent giving their child meds for a fever and then dropping off and not telling you about it.

When you said you like a Thank you now and then at the end of a day, you said you like to "here" but it should be "hear"....and you said you spilt the day between DCK's and your own,...you spelled split wrong. Also, paycheck is only pay cheque in Canada...

Wow! I didn't mean to pick your book apart. Those are just the things that jumped out at me. Otherwise, I think your handbook looks and reads great! Your loving and caring nature definitely shows in the way you write and express yourself.
MrsB 07:46 AM 04-05-2012
parent involvement section and open door policy might want to be combined.

Something you might want to consider. I only do one drop off and pick up per day, unless otherwise approved.

I had a mom that would want to come pick up child to take out to lunch and she would bring her back and the little girl would want to bring all her mcdonalds toys or mom would be late and drop off in the middle of nap. Mom would tell daughter, if you are good today, i will come get you at lunch and take you to the park. My poor other kids, i felt horrible for them. Kids that have dr appointments in the middle of the day it can be a real distraction.

You could cut out the parent provider vacations section on page 33 and add a little blurb in the vacation section above.

35 pages is a little daunting. You might want to reduce the font size a little bit and combine some stuff. It looks pretty but for the most part, parents will see how large it is and wont go any further.
MarinaVanessa 07:53 AM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
I do have an index page (still re-doing the pg numbers) but it will be added. I have decide not to give out a handbook at interviews too much$$$ 34 dang pages . But once enrolled and first weeks tuition has been paid then I will give it.
I'm going to start reading your HB and get back to you later in the day but I thought I'd give you a little tip that you might be able to use.

When people first call me to ask for information about the DC if I schedule an interview I ask if I can email them a copy of everything that I would otherwise put in my Parent Packet which includes my HB & contract. This way they can read everything at home before coming to the interview and it doesn't cost me anything to give it out. Personally I want them to read everything before they decide they want to sign up.

Then during the interview you can briefly go over your copy of the HB with them. They won't need hardcopies because they already have everything they need and if they decide to sign up after the interview (after going home to think about it) they can schedule another appointment to sit down with you and sign the contract. My contract has a section in it that say that they have read, understand and agree to follow the HB which they sign but I go through my HB in more detail with them just to make sure that they really read it and they understand it.
frugalmama4 08:40 AM 04-05-2012
Oh Blackcat, how I new you would be here for me…many hugs

I corrected all the spell errors…thanks.

How do you word your trail period? If I may ask

Yes, I’m on the food program, should I state that also?

Illness section-Changed
Diaper section-changed

Before-

Parent/Child(ren) Vacations:

All families are allowed (2) two weeks of vacation time each year, which can be taken anytime during the year. Any time outside of this will require prior approval and a slot hold fee may apply. Your first week will be FREE. The second week you will be billed for all days and hours your child is normally scheduled to be in care, as this will coincide with the provider’s paid and un-paid vacation(s).

Now-

Parent/Child(ren) Vacations:

Each family gets one week of vacation at no charge and all other weeks will require payment in full whether or not your child attends care, as this will coincide with the provider’s paid and un-paid vacation(s).

Does this work better?

Notices-
Revisions to policies, procedures, contracts and forms will be done with a minimum of 2 week’s notice UNLESS it is a new regulation – these changes will take place immediately. Policies, contracts, and forms will be reviewed periodically and updated, if necessary (usually every January). I will notify parents in writing of any changes. All previous forms will become obsolete.

Here the state sets all regulations for home and center child care. So if a parent has an issues with something (the only way around it would be to stay home with their own kid) Yeah right yes a two week notice is still due.

Should I put something in this section on that subjected?

Pg4-
"This is way I vow to become the Extended Family Member your family can count on." I thought it was cute. For me, when my kids where in daycare the providers became family…not just care takers. I’m thinking like Wal-Mart here ONE STOP SHOP! We all know when parents are off they still find some where else to dump the kids (grandma-aunt-uncle) so I figured send them on back I’ll take them with a hefty fee!

Thank you so much...did you enjoy a cup of tea while reading

How is my name...you like?
Blackcat31 08:54 AM 04-05-2012
I only mentioned the food program because on ours we are REQUIRED to supply at least one type of infant formula and if the parents decline, they must provide their own so I was just curious as you state parents must supply their own formula.

Food programs DO differ from state to state so just wondering...

Rather than posting a mile long response to how I word my trial period, if you PM me your e-mail address I will e-mail you a copy of my handbook if you want to look it over.

I like your thoughts about being a member of your family... "This is way I vow to become the Extended Family Member your family can count on." I would say it like this: "My policies and rules are in place to not only ensure the safety and care of your child but to show you my dedication to making your family an extended member of my family." or something similar.

I did have a cup of coffee while reading and I LOVE your DC name. It says very clearly that you value and consider your daycare families to be part of your family. VERY nice sentiment!
frugalmama4 09:14 AM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
Just throwing a few things out there. Not right or wrong, just feedback.

parent/child vacations- i am a little confused by the paragraph. I get that they are allowed 2 weeks of vacation and one week nothing will be charged. My confusion is that their second week they HAVE to take when you take yours? If they still have to pay for the slot at regular rate why would they need to give you two weeks notice for it.

parent/child sick days - you might want to add something in regards to the extended leave times. Something about requiring a schedule of the 2 days the child will be in attendance at least ______ days in advance. Otherwise you will have people just showing up. Same paragraph last sentence says hold fess.

Special diets: You may not want to include medical condition diets as they may need to be provided by parents. Sometimes kids with medical conditions require things like pediasure and other things that you would want the parents to provide.

Field trips- so are you saying that if a parent decides they dont want their child to go on a field trip YOU are going to get someone else to come watch the child in your home? If they dont want their child to go on a field trip its their responsibility to find other care.

abuse/neglect may want to rephrase a little that you are mandated to report SUSPECTED child abuse.

I changed the child/abuse section and special diets

Parent Leave-

Your child may attend 2 pre-scheduled days per-week during the leave of absence. Schedules are required 24 hours in advance for the 2 days your child will be in attendance. Note: Hold fess will be due by the 5th day of each month during the leave of absences.

I also changed the provider vacation-as recommend by Blackcat!

Field Trips-

Parents will be notified in advance of any planed field trips. If you wish for your child(ren) not to attend it will be your responsibility to find alternate child care at your expense.

Thanks for the feed back
frugalmama4 09:17 AM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I only mentioned the food program because on ours we are REQUIRED to supply at least one type of infant formula and if the parents decline, they must provide their own so I was just curious as you state parents must supply their own formula.

Food programs DO differ from state to state so just wondering...

Rather than posting a mile long response to how I word my trial period, if you PM me your e-mail address I will e-mail you a copy of my handbook if you want to look it over.

I like your thoughts about being a member of your family... "This is way I vow to become the Extended Family Member your family can count on." I would say it like this: "My policies and rules are in place to not only ensure the safety and care of your child but to show you my dedication to making your family an extended member of my family." or something similar.

I did have a cup of coffee while reading and I LOVE your DC name. It says very clearly that you value and consider your daycare families to be part of your family. VERY nice sentiment!
Thanks Blackcat...I will use your wording. It means a lot hearing this from a season vet...as your self.

I will pm you in a sec-have a good afternoon!
MrsB 10:17 AM 04-05-2012
. Looks great!

You are starting off with a much better handbook than when I first started! I love the personal touches you added.
frugalmama4 10:52 AM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
parent involvement section and open door policy might want to be combined.

Something you might want to consider. I only do one drop off and pick up per day, unless otherwise approved.

I had a mom that would want to come pick up child to take out to lunch and she would bring her back and the little girl would want to bring all her mcdonalds toys or mom would be late and drop off in the middle of nap. Mom would tell daughter, if you are good today, i will come get you at lunch and take you to the park. My poor other kids, i felt horrible for them. Kids that have dr appointments in the middle of the day it can be a real distraction.

You could cut out the parent provider vacations section on page 33 and add a little blurb in the vacation section above.

35 pages is a little daunting. You might want to reduce the font size a little bit and combine some stuff. It looks pretty but for the most part, parents will see how large it is and wont go any further.

Hey Mrs. B could you re-open the pdf and change the zoom out/in. I see what you mean when you first open it up, it jumps off the page. I adjusted my zoom and it made a deference...let me know what you think? Thx
Sugar Magnolia 11:42 AM 04-05-2012
Tooooooo looooooooong. Nine pages here. Be brief our they glaze over and quit reading. I like bullet point format. I REALLY like the name you picked! Nice! I can see you put a LOT of work in this, the ladies above gave good editing advice. Keep it simple.
Country Kids 12:51 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Tooooooo looooooooong. Nine pages here. Be brief our they glaze over and quit reading. I like bullet point format. I REALLY like the name you picked! Nice! I can see you put a LOT of work in this, the ladies above gave good editing advice. Keep it simple.
I agree!!! After awhile they quit reading and will sign it. Also, will you remember everything you put in it and be able to enforce it?
frugalmama4 01:52 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Thanks for the feed back...I'm glad you the name. When I originally thought of it I was in love with it. But then I started reading through some older threads and saw others names...and had a re-lapse on my choice.

Honestly, the handbook is more for me then the parent, I take great pride in myself and with anything I do...I always seem to put in WAY over 100%. But that's ok with me, b/c I rather find that one diamond in the rough DCF (so to speak) that will appreciate the crazy. And I think it will keep out the bad blood

Thanks!
frugalmama4 02:04 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I agree!!! After awhile they quit reading and will sign it. Also, will you remember everything you put in it and be able to enforce it?
Yep, I'm sure your right after the first couple of pages they will quit. But again I could have written two pages and they would only read what is important to them at that time anywhoo. It's that how our world works today..."sign below your payments will stay the same over the life of the loan" small print here "if you miss one payment an your interest rate jumps to 33%"

Oh, don't worry about me I can quote it at the drop of a dime...I'm totally type "A"
Former Teacher 06:02 PM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
I am totally type "A"
So am I! I read EVERYTHING no matter how long
Tags:handbook, handbook - length, handbook - sample, handbook policy
Reply Up